Jeep Altitude / sporty trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014 | 09:07 AM
Racer

Jeep Altitude / sporty trim

While this may be considered a marketing trick to attract younger consumers I think it is a good idea. While Jeep is just offering black trim, interior, and rims I see Audi and Lincoln offer upgraded accents elsewhere in the vehicle. Since Acura seems to be a follower at this point and more conservative I don't see them doing this unless all the other luxury brands do it first.

Lincoln has Black Label
Audi has Black edition
I am not sure if Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti, or Lexus have a similar package

Jeep Altitude trim (black trim)
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/22/j...ude-trim-line/
Old 01-24-2014 | 11:03 AM
Advanced

Last year, during the process to find a new vehicle to lease, a Jeep was in the mix. The thing that turned us off to that option, mostly, was the mind numbing array of extras, add-ons, upgrades, packages, etc., which they present. Trying to get a set price on the Jeep was impossible as the package price changed hourly. The thing we really liked about the RDX, mostly again, was the simplicity of base, tech, 4wd or go home. Simple, straight forward and easy to price.

I hope Acura keeps their rational approach to selling cars and lets the others make up names to overcharge people for "shiny things" they don't really need.
The following users liked this post:
5 Acuras (01-24-2014)
Old 01-26-2014 | 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Texdriver
Last year, during the process to find a new vehicle to lease, a Jeep was in the mix. The thing that turned us off to that option, mostly, was the mind numbing array of extras, add-ons, upgrades, packages, etc., which they present. Trying to get a set price on the Jeep was impossible as the package price changed hourly. The thing we really liked about the RDX, mostly again, was the simplicity of base, tech, 4wd or go home. Simple, straight forward and easy to price.

I hope Acura keeps their rational approach to selling cars and lets the others make up names to overcharge people for "shiny things" they don't really need.
You say rational, I say stuffy. The market has and always will flock to limited editions. There's nothing wrong with offering options, and special options are even better. I only wish you could get the package on Jeep's Limited trim instead of just the Latitude. A limited edition RDX with black grille, black trim and black wheels with a few special interior bits would sell like mad, and would certainly bring a few younger buyers into the showroom.
Old 01-26-2014 | 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HotRodW
You say rational, I say stuffy. The market has and always will flock to limited editions. There's nothing wrong with offering options, and special options are even better. I only wish you could get the package on Jeep's Limited trim instead of just the Latitude. A limited edition RDX with black grille, black trim and black wheels with a few special interior bits would sell like mad, and would certainly bring a few younger buyers into the showroom.
I'll go with "stuffy",the Ghetto look has pretty much run its course.
Old 01-27-2014 | 06:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hand-filer
I'll go with "stuffy",the Ghetto look has pretty much run its course.
Yeah, and we know Acura is above offering anything of questionable taste to make a buck. Black emblems are just tacky ...

Last edited by HotRodW; 01-27-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2014 | 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Not enough stimulation for you on the Bimmer forums?
Old 01-27-2014 | 12:52 PM
Advanced

Maybe the Beemer crowd is too "stuffy" for him too!
Old 01-27-2014 | 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Texdriver
Maybe the Beemer crowd is too "stuffy" for him too!
More word twisting in an attempt to make "the outsider" out to be the bad guy. I never said the Acura crowd was stuffy. I said Acura Marketing is stuffy. Sizable distinction there. In fact, take a peek at my signature ... I am the Acura crowd. I just think Honda is missing opportunities with the brand. And believe me when I say I'd much rather be driving an Acura than a BMW. I've never purchased a vehicle specifically for the badge, but I have walked away from some because of the badge.

For the record, Acura, BMW, Audi, Subaru, Jeep forums -- they're all essentially the same. Mostly really good people who just want to talk about their cars. But regardless of the forum, there are always a select few who welcome genuine objectivity like it's a disease.
Old 01-27-2014 | 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Rod we're just yankin' your chain a bit. Feel free to reciprocate
Old 01-28-2014 | 08:37 AM
Racer

It is interesting as we are discussing BMW vs Acura marketing. I actually like the Audi marketing. They are at the forefront of almost everything. Honda seems to be very tight lipped. I understand they are a global organization where the USA may not be their main focus. The US consumer seems to like to here about upcoming enhancements. The fact that we don't know for a fact which year the RDX will be refreshed is an example of this. For the BMW X1 they have already announced when the next refresh / redesign is with leaked camouflage photos.

For 2015 I would expect that Acura / Honda release information if there will be a refresh, advanced model, or any other changes since the 2015 will probably be out in the April / May time frame. I understand they sometimes don't want to release info where buyers may not buy the current vehicle and wait for the new vehicle but on the same note a buyer would be upset is he / she buys a car now only to find out the 3 months later certain enhancements are made that they would have waited for.