How soft is the ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How soft is the ride?

Seriously considering the '13 AWD with tech package. Overall I'm sold but I won't have a chance to test drive for a while. Even if i did I would still want everyone's opinion on this. So, how nice is the ride quality (especially over bumpy roads etc.), and how is the road noise at high and low speeds?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Radness1980....Welcome to Acurazine, I see this is your 1st post. Your consideration of the RDX as a vehicle is a good one, this is a great CUV/SUV. I think you will find a few thread on the topic you are raising and you will not get a clear answer one way or the other. Many of the items you raise is subjective but I can sure give you my input in the matter and I am sure others will chime in as well. Bottom line, you will still need to take the RDX for a test drive and make the final decision based on what you feel rather than what people say.

Ride: The ride is really good. It is not as crisp and razor sharp as the 1G because it has lost the Hydraulic power steering (replaced it with an electric one) and the SH-AWD for a more conventional one. Bottom line is that yes, it appears to handle very differently but trust me, once you spend a few days behind the RDX, you will get familiar with the feel and realize that it is a very capable and competent ride. The suspension is not as jarring so over bumps, you will have a nicer and more subdued ride, but don't worry, its not a boat.

Suspension: There has been a bit of a noise issue with the rear shocks and although many have reported it here, there has been no TSB yet. some have had their rear shockes replaced but its a case by case situation. There is nothing wrong with them other than the fact that when you driver over certain bumps/hole, there is a "thud" that emits from the cargo area.

Road Noise....This is a little tricky. I find the RDX very quiet and enjoyable but I have seen some complain of excessive road/wind noise. There is a plastic panel that was identified as being loose and creating some wind noise (plastic lug missing or something) but again, not a big problem.

I am very happy with the RDX and would not change a thing about it if I had to do it all over again....

Best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
You absolutely need to take one for a test drive and judge for yourself. You will get conflicting opinions here. I find the ride firm but compliant on moderate to large bumps and bordering on bone jarring on sharp bumps such as sunken man hole covers. It's definitely not a floaty boat old Buick kind of ride.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

I've found the suspension to absorb and dispatch small to medium sized bumps in a tight, controlled manner that indicates good tuning. It is definitely not floaty as pointed out by others...

My experience with noise has been as follows: very quiet as far as engine and wind noise are concerned but road noise depends on the road you are driving on. I've had road noise vary from minimal to noticeable. Overall, I think Acura has done a good job with NVH...
Old 02-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2 cents....It is a very good car. Ride is good and I cannot compare to 1G as I did not have it. The road noise is subdued though when compared to older ride (X5), it may be marginally higher and that too at high speed like 70 mph. It also depends on the road but that is road factor and not car. Cornering is good except that it leans a bit...no problem for me as I do not drive crazy on ramps except when in hurry. I have some 'subtle' vibration problem and this probably is a isolated case - need to see the service folks.

I had driven few other Lux brands before I bought mine's but when it comes to combination of reliability/maintenance and sporty ride, you cannot beat Acura. If you want just pure ride quality, then look for a german car.
In all, as 'weather' and others say - drive it first....Wish you a good luck with your purchase!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Before you leave the lot on the test drive, check the tire pressure on the dash. Many of us have found the tires over inflated and that will change you perception of the ride during your test.
I find the RDX with just about the right amount of "road feel". Too much and it is annoying, too little and you might as well buy a Lexus.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreeing with others here that you should test drive the RDX and compare it to other rides. My impression was the quietest ride was the Lexus RX350, which was my final top contender. Like minothor said, the noise depends on the type of road, and how fast you are going. But, it's still a quiet, very comfortable ride. The seats kind of hug you in a way the others didn't. For the price, the RDX won out, and after driving it a few months, I grow to love how it handles more and more (especially on those u-turns. )
Old 02-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove lexus 450h awd for about 15 minutes and I really could not understand why lexus is said to be quietest? it had same road noise that get in my RDX. The real test of the road noise is when you drive more than 60-70 mph and I did not get a chance to do with that lexus.
I feel that road noise is less in the lux german cars
Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by masterrdx
I test drove lexus 450h awd for about 15 minutes and I really could not understand why lexus is said to be quietest? it had same road noise that get in my RDX. The real test of the road noise is when you drive more than 60-70 mph and I did not get a chance to do with that lexus.
I feel that road noise is less in the lux german cars
Interesting...the RX used to come with the GoodYear RS-A tires that were fairly soft and quiet(leading to a rather short life; but we liked them enough to get a second set). As you know, the tire compound and design can make a world of difference in the road noise transmitted to the passengers.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:14 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Coming from a 2012 TL, I can say the RDX is quieter and the ride a bit more compliant than the TL. Whereas the TL's ride has a slightly nervous twitchiness to it (in keeping with its sportier personality), the RDX's ride strikes me as more refined. It's smoother overall without going limp and mushy.

As for road and engine noise, I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the cabin is. Before the TL I had a $60,000 Infiniti M56, and it was noisier than the RDX.

Bottom line is that Acura did a good job with both suspension and noise control.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Coming from a 2012 TL, I can say the RDX is quieter and the ride a bit more compliant than the TL. Whereas the TL's ride has a slightly nervous twitchiness to it (in keeping with its sportier personality), the RDX's ride strikes me as more refined. It's smoother overall without going limp and mushy.

As for road and engine noise, I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the cabin is. Before the TL I had a $60,000 Infiniti M56, and it was noisier than the RDX.

Bottom line is that Acura did a good job with both suspension and noise control.
I have test driven the RDX and I find it a tad softer than my taste, but then I had a SH-AWD TL and a M37 Sport, but Acura is softening its rides. As the other post mentions compared to my M37 (extremely noisy) the RDX is very quiet, but not as quiet as an Audi A4. Comapred the the old RDX this is soft, but then the old RDX was very stiff.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:27 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by KeithL
I have test driven the RDX and I find it a tad softer than my taste, but then I had a SH-AWD TL and a M37 Sport, but Acura is softening its rides. As the other post mentions compared to my M37 (extremely noisy) the RDX is very quiet, but not as quiet as an Audi A4. Comapred the the old RDX this is soft, but then the old RDX was very stiff.
Agreed - I had one of the previous-gen RDX's for a loaner awhile back, and it was stiff-legged and kind of noisy. The new one is a different animal.

I also agree about the Infinitis - my M56 was not at all what I thought a $60k luxury car should be. It was not quiet on the road, and it hit sharp bumps with a solid thud.

I'm getting older, though, and I'm enjoying the softer rides. I'm not into squishy and out of control like old Buicks, but the TL is just a tad more jiggly than I like. The RDX seems to handle well and still smothers the little stuff better.

The light steering might be what throws some people off, though - I wouldn't mind some more weight to the steering.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Agreed - I had one of the previous-gen RDX's for a loaner awhile back, and it was stiff-legged and kind of noisy. The new one is a different animal.

I also agree about the Infinitis - my M56 was not at all what I thought a $60k luxury car should be. It was not quiet on the road, and it hit sharp bumps with a solid thud.

I'm getting older, though, and I'm enjoying the softer rides. I'm not into squishy and out of control like old Buicks, but the TL is just a tad more jiggly than I like. The RDX seems to handle well and still smothers the little stuff better.

The light steering might be what throws some people off, though - I wouldn't mind some more weight to the steering.
Was your M56 a Sport model? My M37 Sport rides very nice, but then I came from a TL SH-AWD which was extremely firm. I have grown to like the nice balance the M gives me in ride, not where I feel every crack in the pavement like the TL did, but still firm enough to handle. The suspension is a bit jittery on some bumps, but I suspect it is the massive 20" wheels that are hurting that ride characteristic. I have been wanting to come back to Acura, but I actually like the luxury feel of the M, other than the damn road noise.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by KeithL
Was your M56 a Sport model? My M37 Sport rides very nice, but then I came from a TL SH-AWD which was extremely firm. I have grown to like the nice balance the M gives me in ride, not where I feel every crack in the pavement like the TL did, but still firm enough to handle. The suspension is a bit jittery on some bumps, but I suspect it is the massive 20" wheels that are hurting that ride characteristic. I have been wanting to come back to Acura, but I actually like the luxury feel of the M, other than the damn road noise.
No, my M56 was not a Sport, and I still thought it rode a little too stiffly. And sharp bumps came through pretty harshly.

As for your TL, if it was the previous-gen, I can understand what you're saying. I had an '06, and it had a lot firmer ride than my 2012. My wife has had an '09, '11, '12 and now a '13 TL - all FWD - and the ride just keeps getting better year after year. And you can still carve up freeway cloverleafs at silly speeds.

The RDX probably wouldn't keep up with the TL in canyons, but it's surprisingly agile. I know it surprised me when I drove it hard.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
The RDX probably wouldn't keep up with the TL in canyons, but it's surprisingly agile. I know it surprised me when I drove it hard.
That is what I am trying to say to everyone....Although the steering "feels" light, it is amazing that when you spend some time behind the wheel, you discover how agile and precise this RDX is....
Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

My wife has had an '09, '11, '12 and now a '13 TL - all FWD - and the ride just keeps getting better year after year.
How is that? Did she get 1 and 2 year leases? If there is some secret way to upgrading to new model year every year, I gotta know!!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by minothor
How is that? Did she get 1 and 2 year leases? If there is some secret way to upgrading to new model year every year, I gotta know!!
We sign on to 3-year leases, and after 12-15 months our dealer always calls and says we can trade up with no change in lease payment amount if we want. Of course it's a new 3-year lease, but since we figure we're going to have a car payment anyway, we might as well be paying on a new car!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:50 PM
10th Gear

has anyone dropped their tire pressures a bit lower than manufacturer recommended in order to get a softer ride?
Old 09-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Probably --- but not on purpose.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I dropped rear tire pressure 2 pounds with no noticeable improvement.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Harsh ride with tire thumping and noisy rear suspension and some wind noise.
I run 2lbs less all around and it helps somewhat but not enough.