Gear shifting issue? Cylinder deactivation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear shifting issue? Cylinder deactivation?

I've had my RDX less than a week and it seems like it doesn't accelerate at a smooth rate in town (so not fast accelerating, just getting up to in city 30-40 mph). Kind of feels choppy, like it occasionally disconnects from the gas - then it will kick up. So I started watching the tachometer and the RPMs/gear shifting appears to match what I'm feeling.

I also get it occasionally slowing down (no gas on the accelerator) - it will kind of jump.

I have no idea about the cylinder deactivation - when it's supposed to kick in. I don't know if it's related or something different.

Has anyone else experienced similar? Advice on what to do (break it in more, take it to dealer to look at)?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2016, 07:58 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Cvail
I've had my RDX less than a week and it seems like it doesn't accelerate at a smooth rate in town (so not fast accelerating, just getting up to in city 30-40 mph). Kind of feels choppy, like it occasionally disconnects from the gas - then it will kick up. So I started watching the tachometer and the RPMs/gear shifting appears to match what I'm feeling.

I also get it occasionally slowing down (no gas on the accelerator) - it will kind of jump.

I have no idea about the cylinder deactivation - when it's supposed to kick in. I don't know if it's related or something different.

Has anyone else experienced similar? Advice on what to do (break it in more, take it to dealer to look at)?

Thanks
Hi.

I've had my 2016 RDX for exactly 4 weeks and I've noticed the same exact thing. I have described it almost word for word as you have. I do a lot of secondary road driving and it's more apparent like you mentioned.

I've gotten a little more used to it, bit at first I was thinking something might be wrong. I'll be interested to see what others think.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dinom
Hi.

I've had my 2016 RDX for exactly 4 weeks and I've noticed the same exact thing. I have described it almost word for word as you have. I do a lot of secondary road driving and it's more apparent like you mentioned.

I've gotten a little more used to it, bit at first I was thinking something might be wrong. I'll be interested to see what others think.

Thanks.
I have a similar sensation on 2013 RDX Tech, sometimes feels like I am driving a stick shift. Was thinking about upgrading to 2016, but if 2016 does the same thing I'm not sure I want the RDX. I do a lot of driving in the city and it gets annoying.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:35 PM
10th Gear

I swapped cars with my wife today (14 MDX) and didn't said anything to her about it - I'll ask her tonight if she noticed anything.

Here's the weird thing, I've swapped cars with her maybe once a week for a while (my old car was an Avalon). Today I swear I could almost feel the same downshifting in her MDX - and I have never felt/noticed it in hers before. So maybe it's something about the Acura (Honda) engines that I'm not used to, but needed several days consistency to notice.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:18 AM
7th Gear

I swapped cars with my wife today (14 MDX) and didn't said anything to her about it - I'll ask her tonight if she noticed anything.

Here's the weird thing, I've swapped cars with her maybe once a week for a while (my old car was an Avalon). Today I swear I could almost feel the same downshifting in her MDX - and I have never felt/noticed it in hers before. So maybe it's something about the Acura (Honda) engines that I'm not used to, but needed several days consistency to notice.
Anyone else notice this? Or do you think something is wrong with our RDXs?
Old 04-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Nothing like that with my '16 ....yet!
Only at 600 miles,though.

Only issue I have is over certain bumps,the rear suspension blows.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:26 AM
5th Gear

I too have experienced the same issue with the choppiness especially if I am slowing down no gas on the accelerator. Its worse in stop and go traffic. It's not all the time just more so at lower speeds. RPM coordinates with the jerking of the car, its the same feel I get with the paddle shifters.

I am curious also how many people have this issue also.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:44 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 16RDX
I too have experienced the same issue with the choppiness especially if I am slowing down no gas on the accelerator. Its worse in stop and go traffic. It's not all the time just more so at lower speeds. RPM coordinates with the jerking of the car, its the same feel I get with the paddle shifters.

I am curious also how many people have this issue also.
Yup, sounds like the same exact issue. Like you said it's not all the time and it can be subtle.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:04 AM
7th Gear

Cvail, did you ever get feedback from your wife on the RDX?
Old 04-26-2016, 08:00 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dinom
Cvail, did you ever get feedback from your wife on the RDX?
Yes, she said she didn't notice anything unusual. She actually said she could tell it was sportier and had a little more zip than her MDX.

The dealer is supposed to be doing some clean-up work done on the rear end (few rock marks from the transport). I think I'll ask them to see if they notice anything.

I could be crazy, but when I was test driving I think I drove 3 RDXs (all tech packages) - and don't remember the shifting in the other two.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:16 AM
7th Gear

Same here. My wife has driven mine a few times now (had it about 6 weeks) and when I ask her how it drives (I didn't give her any clues on why I was asking) she said she loves it and it drives great.

And I also didn't notice anything during both my test drive (using the demo car) or with my own RDX for the first several days. So I think we both became more aware of it after driving it for a while. To me it's subtle and I can go a few days and not think about it and then when I sense it I can feel the shifting/slight hesitation again.

Perhaps you and I are just more sensitive :-) My wife's 2014 Highlander doesn't seem to have the same sensation, neither did my 13 year old Tacoma before I traded it in.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I notice the same thing, like the transmission doesn't know if it should up shift or down shift, and you have to give a little bit more gas to make it shift. might want to check the transmission fluid, maybe we are all few ounces underfilled from the factory?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:16 AM
7th Gear

Yes, that is exactly it. Driving say in city or secondary roads (and at a relatively constant speed) you can see the tach twiddle up and down every once in a while and you can feel it shift.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
I get constant little "jerks or clunks" in mine. I'm not sure if it's the VCM or what. When coming to a stop I often hear a "clunk" when it's downshifting. When I park at home I usually hear the "clunk" when putting it in park. I know Honda makes a good drivetrain, but it is nowhere near as smooth and quiet as our previous Toyota.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:26 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the input snorf. Mine doesn't really clunk, if what you mean by that is an audible noise. Mine is quiet when it's doing it, but you can feel the slight sensation of up/down shifting and can see it happening on the tachometer.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:28 PM
8th Gear

Hello All,

I got my 2016 RDX Advance Package last week, yes, I feel the same jerks, while slowing down without gas, the tachometer jumps, while downshifting, never saw that in my older Honda Accord (2007 model). It reminds me of my Merc CLA, which has a DCT, it used to jerk a little while downshifting on braking. I am not sure how these new transmissions are built these days.

Also, I notice, on mild inclines, if I have to accelerate (like.. increase speed on the incline) it downshifts twice, which I didnt expect from a V6 engine.

Also, my RDX feels a little anemic in 1st, 2nd gear if I rev in the 1500-2200 rpm range, I am new to V6 engines. I wonder if the older V6 Ford Escapes and some Minivans that go past me rev hard when they see my RDX next to them!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The '15 RDX engine is programmed to go between 3, 4, and 6 cylinders based on demand. The '16 only does 3 or 6 cans--this is most likely how they got the highway fuel economy to go up by 1mpg from the '15 to the '16. The trade-off is that the '16 will probably require more pedal input to get the same acceleration--that is, until you push to the point where the engine controller gives up on saving fuel and just fires up all six cans.

Having driven both my '16 and my sister's '15 RDX, I can tell there's definitely a difference. My '16 feels a bit more lethargic than the '15, mostly during city driving and particularly when accelerating from a standstill. When I drop my foot though, it doesn't matter--both will leap forward all the same.

As for the tranny being indecisive when downshifting, it definitely seems to do that more in the '15 than the '16. Maybe they fixed that.