FWD vs. AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:44 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I do agree that winter tires should be installed in the winter. I however do not agree that all season tires have no purpose. Winter tires wear out ridiculously fast in the summer, but summer tires also wear out fast in the summer. This is where all seasons come in. My personal preference is to go winter in winter and all season in the summer.

I want to note that this will be the first year for me in ever to have winter tires. I have always always had all season tires and never had issues at all thankfully. This time I am going to install a set of michelin x-ice 2 tires. Brand new and can't wait to see what it is like! But it just absolutely sucks, we have had no snow yet, nothing, literally can still see grass here, that is absurd!! I am worried about installing too early and having them wear stupid fast.
Heat wears out tires. Summer tires have sticky compounds and winter tires have soft compounds. An all-season tire is a compromise and perfectly fine for most drivers during the non-snowy seasons. I generally run all-seasons as well (Conti DWS)for the same reason - while a summer tire may handle better, I don't really need that for my daily driving and all-seasons are cheaper as well - but - the winters go on around US Thanksgiving.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Heat wears out tires. Summer tires have sticky compounds and winter tires have soft compounds. An all-season tire is a compromise and perfectly fine for most drivers during the non-snowy seasons. I generally run all-seasons as well (Conti DWS)for the same reason - while a summer tire may handle better, I don't really need that for my daily driving and all-seasons are cheaper as well - but - the winters go on around US Thanksgiving.
Yeah it is absolutely the heat. It is those soft compounds that make a winter tire a winter tire. I can understand that you would want summer tires in a high performance car, but it doesn't make any sense to put them in 98% of passenger cars. Why would I pay more for a tire that would wear out quicker and designed for a use that I don't have.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Why would I pay more for a tire that would wear out quicker and designed for a use that I don't have.
There he is --- going all logical on us.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dirleton
There he is --- going all logical on us.
Yup! I try!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:23 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Yeah it is absolutely the heat. It is those soft compounds that make a winter tire a winter tire. I can understand that you would want summer tires in a high performance car, but it doesn't make any sense to put them in 98% of passenger cars. Why would I pay more for a tire that would wear out quicker and designed for a use that I don't have.
May be its something like nitrogen filled tires. Dealers and many performance gurus recommend it but ordinary people have no use for it ... may be.

Oh my.... Did I start another debate?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
May be its something like nitrogen filled tires. Dealers and many performance gurus recommend it but ordinary people have no use for it ... may be.

The air you breathe is approximately 78% Nitrogen. While I realize that ~22% of other gases would have an effect on the overall deflation and inflation of the tire due to temperature, I don't imagine it is severe enough to do anything and paying extra for Nitorgen seems pointless to me. Even if I had a performance car, I still would not fill it with nitrogen. But obviously I have not looked up any independent studies so maybe I am wrong.

Incoming debates lol. I expect ceb very soon.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Tire Discounters used to inflate tires with nitrogen, not sure if they still do (they used to use green valve caps). In my experience the tires I bought from them held a more consistent pressure level that my wife's tires, which I just inflate at home. Hers were installed professionally so I don't think there was a bad bead or anything. Anyway that's my experience.

Where I live (OH) snow tires really aren't necessary. Just a good set of all seasons will do the job no problem, it's not the northeast lol. It's mostly about how you drive in the snow. AWD isn't necessary here either, but it helps obviously. Of course then there is always the over confident SUV driver who thinks they can go anywhere, and they end up on their roof.

Last edited by RedRyder; 11-16-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RedRyder
Tire Discounters used to inflate tires with nitrogen, not sure if they still do (they used to use green valve caps). In my experience the tires I bought from them held a more consistent pressure level that my wife's tires, which I just inflate at home. Hers were installed professionally so I don't think there was a bad bead or anything. Anyway that's my experience.

Where I live (OH) snow tires really aren't necessary. Just a good set of all seasons will do the job no problem, it's not the northeast lol. It's mostly about how you drive in the snow. AWD isn't necessary here either, but it helps obviously. Of course then there is always the over confident SUV driver who thinks they can go anywhere, and they end up on their roof.
Yeah because the nitrogen expands and contracts less than the atmospheric air. But I still don't see it being that big of a deal. I guess on a track somewhere where the car is being pushed to extreme extremes, you would want the pressure not to build up too much and to have better control over it.

I personally see it as a sales gimmick. The way I look at it, is if you have less than ideal seal on the tires you are more likely to lose more air with the nitrogen vs the the atmospheric air because the hydrogen atoms are the smallest gas atom. But in ideal conditions, nitrogen has a small bonus. If it is offered for free at the tire shop, I won't say no.

I wonder why they don't fill tires with some form of inert noble gas, like xenon or argon...etc?
Old 11-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
^Not sure, maybe it's more expensive or harder to get/license.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy

Yes you did.

The air you breathe is approximately 78% Nitrogen. While I realize that ~22% of other gases would have an effect on the overall deflation and inflation of the tire due to temperature, I don't imagine it is severe enough to do anything and paying extra for Nitorgen seems pointless to me. Even if I had a performance car, I still would not fill it with nitrogen. But obviously I have not looked up any independent studies so maybe I am wrong.

Incoming debates lol. I expect ceb very soon.
You hit the nail right on the head. Paying extra for Nitrogen is useless.

It is better to buy a decent tire gauge
The following users liked this post:
dirleton (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Ranked #4 & #1 was a pleasant surprise!

Old 11-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
Yes you did.

You hit the nail right on the head. Paying extra for Nitrogen is useless.

It is better to buy a decent tire gauge
I like when we agree! I had a highschool teacher once who said she would inflate our tires by mouth and take the $80-$100 it costs to fill nitrogen!