Floor Mats

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:23 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor Mats

Since it looks like we are still not done with winter I need to latch onto some floor protection that is a bit more weather resistant than the carpet mats that came with the RDX I bought on Saturday. I have experience with both rubber mats and Weathertech liners in our Accord and Pilot respectively and don't really have a strong preference one way or the other. Can somebody make a compelling case for one vs. the other? MacNeil is close enough that I can just stop by and pick up a set of Weathertechs so that is a plus. I would probably mail order the factory style ones because they'd be WAY cheaper than what my dealer's parts department would charge me. Thanks
Old 03-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I swear by my weathertech's. It's been an ugly winter in NY and the excellent fit seems to have prevented almost all of the sand getting under the mats. The OEM's are probably fine if you're getting them for free but if you're paying for either one, get the WT's.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:03 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I use the OEM mat in my RDX year round for +3 years. They are 10X better compared to carpet mats. In NM, I use them for sand, dirt, sticky tar that sticks to your shoe when it is +110 degrees, goatheads stickers, and the occasional 1-2 inches of rain or snow yearly.

The only thing I can see being a problem for OEM mats is they don't contain large liquid spills that well compared to weather tech.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:07 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
I went with OEM
I like the fit and finish, no issues and got them in 2 days after we got our 2014, people love weathertechs but its personal preference
Old 03-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
We have the OEM. Great to have as we spend lots of time in the Community Garden with mud, rain, etc. Don't have to worry about the interior, they clean up so well. Fit well too.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
The carpet mats that come in the RDX are definitely pretty...uh...minimum. We put the black Acura mats in ours. They fit fine and work fine for us. Then again, like mrgold, we don't have much rain/snow/mud to worry about. The Weathertechs cost quite a bit more but probably have better coverage and hold more rain/snow/mud/slush. If we lived in snow country I might go with Weathertech. If you decide on the OEM mats, get them from one of the on-line parts dealers...lots cheaper.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have the OEM and they are pretty good. We have had a terrible winter and for the most par they contained the water. There is one spot to the passenger side that has a cut out for no apparent reason.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
When you buy a new Acura around here (southern Oregon), they automatically come with the OEM all-weather mats. I'm relatively new to the area having recently moved from southern California, so at first rubber floor mats turned me off.

Winter used to mean "put the top up" to me. But after my first winter here, I'll never have a daily driver without them. The OEMs look and fit fine, as long as you like black. I'm guessing there are probably more color choices with the Weathertechs.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
I went with WeatherTech because of the color, otherwise the OEM mats were excellent in my '11 RDX.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I put the OEM rubber mats in mine...like the logo!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:40 PM
Cruisin'

Costco. rubber mats, cut to fit, color matched nicely. Under $20.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am going to start shopping for a 2014 RDX, figured I'd come to the site to research and I saw this thread.

Curious, do the rubber Acura OEM mats for the rear cover the middle hump? Or are they only for the main 2 rear seats (leaving the middle hump carpet exposed)?

I have a 05 TL, with the Acura OEM mats, and in the rear they do not cover the floor for the middle seat. So if I have 3 passengers in the rear, my carpets will get dirty. My brother has Weathertech mats in his SUV, they are cut edge to edge of the available floor.

I like the look of the Acura mats better, but the WeatherTech ones cover everything.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:14 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by Masta120
I am going to start shopping for a 2014 RDX, figured I'd come to the site to research and I saw this thread.

Curious, do the rubber Acura OEM mats for the rear cover the middle hump? Or are they only for the main 2 rear seats (leaving the middle hump carpet exposed)?

I have a 05 TL, with the Acura OEM mats, and in the rear they do not cover the floor for the middle seat. So if I have 3 passengers in the rear, my carpets will get dirty. My brother has Weathertech mats in his SUV, they are cut edge to edge of the available floor.

I like the look of the Acura mats better, but the WeatherTech ones cover everything.
My 08 does not have a hump and the all weather mat goes completely across. The +13 RDX should be the same way; one large all weather mat (OEM or weathertech) for the back seat. I think you are stuck with black for OEM ($120 free shipping curry acura parts) and you can get black or tan in the WeatherTech floor liner digitalFit for $180+shipping.
The following users liked this post:
Masta120 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Acura OEM floor mats. I received them when I purchased my new RDX and really love them. They go the length of the floor of the back seat and cover the "middle" section. It's one long mat that runs door to door - no carpet is exposed and a middle passenger's feet would be on the floor mat. I've heard great things about the Weathertech mats but I can't imagine anything being better than these mats. Plus they "match" the inside and have "RDX" on them.
FYI...a nice thing in the RDX is there is no "hump" in the middle back seat. It's flat the length of the floor in the back. A middle passenger would be able to put their feet flat on the floor without "straddling" any hump. It really makes the back seat very easy to get in and is great when you are putting bags or other stuff on the floor in the back as things can lay flat...lots more storage room on the floor.

Hope that helps.
Masta120 (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, very helpful.
When I do get the car, I think I will go with the Acura mats.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:28 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by Masta120
Thanks, very helpful.
When I do get the car, I think I will go with the Acura mats.
I also went with the Acura cargo tray for my MDX and RDX. It has saved me a few times like coming home from Sam's club and you get the occasional spill in the back with stuff rolling around (sugar, flour, defrosting frozen food, chicken juice, etc...). The cargo net also helps keep stuff secured in the back.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Agree. The Cargo Tray is a must-have in my opinion. (Note: I have the Tray, not the "liner"). It really protects the back should anything spill or be dirty. You don't have to worry about putting a dirty bag of mulch (for example) in the back and getting the floor dirty. Even if the mulch doesn't spill out, the bag is probably filthy and you can just pull the Tray out, spray it down, and you're good to go.

The lips on the side that go all the way around are great at keeping things in the tray and not spilling out onto the carpet.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Had the acura all weather mats, was happy until I pulled them out, and found the water/slush had drained out thru that nice RDX logo and soaked the carpet. I now have weather tech in front, they are great.
I do have the acura all weather mat in the back floor, it is fine, no logo on it. Acura cargo tray is fine in cargo area.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I may have mentioned using AutoSport for mats for a few cars now. Their 'hexo' mats are about half the price of WT(they also are a WT dealer) and they have many other styles(for those of us who remember cocoa mats, sisal, etc) Sign up for their email blasts to find out about sales or free shipping if it's not shown currently. I'm pretty happy with the 'generic look, custom fit' of the mats; but we aren't exactly in snow country. Plenty of dust, dirt and occasional rain, however.

Looks like free shipping going on now:
http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde..._term=postcard
Old 03-17-2014, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Floor mat issue...

Hi everyone, I don't have a pick for the best all weather mats but I do have a question about mine, and was hoping that someone could offer me some suggestions. I have the OEM RDX all weather mats. I bought the vehicle as a used demo and the floor mat on the driver side, near the entry/exit part of the vehicle is bent inward and doesn't sit flush against the side. Any ideas on how I can correct this? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The OEM mats weren't cheap up here in Ontario but man are they worth it. They fit perfectly and kept all the dirt and snow inside the mats.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by cabose369
The OEM mats weren't cheap up here in Ontario but man are they worth it. They fit perfectly and kept all the dirt and snow inside the mats.
Especially this year. I just cleaned the mats OEM mats last weekend and some salt has leaked through the holes that hold the mats down. Will have to clean the carpet in the spring. The mats are very deep, just like the OEMs in my Wife's 11 RDX. Have not had any leaks through the RDX logo as ssuggested earlier. Cant see why this would happen.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Joysan,

My Acura mat did did the same thing from day one, dealer said it was normal, another reason I went with Weathertech.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joysan
Hi everyone, I don't have a pick for the best all weather mats but I do have a question about mine, and was hoping that someone could offer me some suggestions. I have the OEM RDX all weather mats. I bought the vehicle as a used demo and the floor mat on the driver side, near the entry/exit part of the vehicle is bent inward and doesn't sit flush against the side. Any ideas on how I can correct this? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Same here - strange it is only happening on the drive side. The front passenger side fits really well.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by joysan
I have the same issue with our OEM mats. Don't really notice it but it's there. As far as I know there is nothing you can do.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same issue but only on the passenger side, driver side is flush against the side.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced

Weathertech in winter, OEM once the snow is gone.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by balancesheet
Same here - strange it is only happening on the drive side. The front passenger side fits really well.
Situation got worse so I replaced the front mats with Weathertech.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:09 PM
8th Gear

I just got the Maxpider Kagu mats for the front and I think they're better than the OEM rubber mats. For the front passenger side mat, the Maxpider and the OEM rubber mats are comparable as far as coverage is concerned but for the driver side mat, the Maxpider wins hands down. The OEM rubber mat doesn't cover the dead pedal whereas the Maxpider mat does. Also, the Maxpider has better coverage behind the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal. The OEM rubber mat does not go very far behind the accelerator pedal and as a result, dirt can still get on the carpet around that area.
The Maxpider mats do fit perfectly and can use the same anchoring tabs the OEM mat uses although it doesn't really need it. The Velcro-like backing does stick to the carpet very well.
Even though I had the tan interior, I went with the black mats. It has a mild glossy look to it so dirt will show on it. The surface has a plasticized rubber feel to it. Don't know how long it'll hold up, but if I had to take a guess, it will do well. I don't think it'll hold up as well as the hard plastic of the WeatherTech mats though (I had them on my previous car and they were great). The one thing I didn't like about the WeatherTech was they slided around a little if they weren't anchored properly.
Price wise, the Maxpider are less than the WeatherTech's but more than the OEM if you get it with both the front and back row. I chose to get the fronts only and kept the OEM rubber mats in the back.

Last edited by montynj1; 12-16-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Two things. I got my RDX 13' used with 28k miles.

1. COMPLETELY agree with MEGAREP. The RDX Logo on my mats is punching out, it doesn't ever look like it was ACTUALLY sealed to start with, it looks like it just snaps into place, and water DEFINATELY can leak this area.. SHODDY!!! I was going to re-seal it with some kind of glue or something....

2. My driver side matt is ALSO bent inward like someone would step on it when getting in and out of the car.. Since I bought it used I was surprised that this happened as the rest of the car mostly immaculately .. the inside of the car is MINT! like someone drove it with gloves all the time. So I couldn't imagine why they'd abuse their floor mat.. Sounds to me like these things are just sh#TTy and made poorly..

I was able to TEMPORARILY get mine straightend by flipping it upside down on a hard surface (my garage floor). Using a hair dryer to super heat that side that is warped, then placing a few BOOKS on top until it had enough pressure to make the matt start to flatten (so that edge would straighten out as the weight of the books made the matt start to flatten, if you know what I mean..

downside is about 4 or 5 days later it started to bend again.. I'm not sure if repeated heat treatment would help, or if maybe after heat treating it I need to quickly cool it down (throw it into a freezer). There's a science behind rubber molcules and how they re-act and can be molded. can someone chime in?

I'm wondering if the people who area experiencing this bent side are in HOT states? (not that Washington is hot... mind you..). heat being a cause for warpage sometimes.

IF it was me and I know what I know now, I'd go with WT and NOT the OEM... At least not the front..

Does anyone know if the Rubberized cargo tray has the same stupid white logo in it for the back? I was going to get one, but if it has the same 'snapped' in logo, i'll pass... that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen..
Old 12-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Instructor

The OEM cargo tray does not have the RDX logo on it.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
I use the WeatherTech mats in winter. They will hold a lot of melted gunk. One issue I find is if they get too full of liquid it will slosh through the holes for the mat hold down fasteners. I called WeatherTech and asked if there was anything to do to cover these holes. The person I talked to was an "order taker" and had no solution. I have taken to dumping out the liquid before it gets too deep.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cargo tray DOES have logo on it...molded into tray.
Here's link to one on eBay right now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-RDX-OEM-Cargo-Mat-Tray-2013-2015-/181615769124?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a4924b624&vxp=mtr
Old 12-18-2014, 08:27 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Gary3N
I use the WeatherTech mats in winter. They will hold a lot of melted gunk. One issue I find is if they get too full of liquid it will slosh through the holes for the mat hold down fasteners. I called WeatherTech and asked if there was anything to do to cover these holes. The person I talked to was an "order taker" and had no solution. I have taken to dumping out the liquid before it gets too deep.
Gary3N - Try covering the fasteners with the All-Weather Gorilla tape. You may need to clean and dry the application area first though. If you have black mats, it should blend in.
Gary3N (12-18-2014)