First snow impressions 2016 RDX AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdk
I have a new 17 rdx came with Michelin Primacy tires. When I drive with rear windows down and nobody sitting in the back it makes an absurd whirring ringing sound. Is this common noise from these type of tires? Or is there another issue I should get looked at you think?
I haven't noticed a sound coming from the tires at all, even with the windows down.. Michelins are generally very quiet tires....what does places like Tirerack.com say about the tires and noise? If you have someone stand outside and you drive by them, what do they hear outside of the vehicle? Do they hear any noise at all, and what type? Is the noise different when people are sitting in the back? With that in hand, I'd take it to the dealer and have them check it out, if you still believe there is an issue, even if it's just tire related.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
The current gen RDX is actually pretty fun to drive in snow in S mode. No, S does not mean snow mode. But I always like it
Old 01-21-2017, 09:51 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Doobiewah
I haven't noticed a sound coming from the tires at all, even with the windows down.. Michelins are generally very quiet tires....what does places like Tirerack.com say about the tires and noise? If you have someone stand outside and you drive by them, what do they hear outside of the vehicle? Do they hear any noise at all, and what type? Is the noise different when people are sitting in the back? With that in hand, I'd take it to the dealer and have them check it out, if you still believe there is an issue, even if it's just tire related.
I had my tires replaced by OEM Michelins recently. I noticed that the new tires are much quieter than the older worn out ones (as expected). Overall I don't have any complaints with the Michelins.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:02 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bst Winter Tires?

Newbie here! Just leased a 2017 Acura RDX AWD V6 for my upcoming winter fo skiing in Tahoe. Please give me your thoughts on the best winter tires for this vehicle in heavy snow. So far, I have seen these mentioned in other posts:
  • Pirelli Winter Ice Zero FR
  • Bridgestone Blizzaks DM-V1
  • Michelin X-Ice
Any others worth investigating? Any thoughts on the best/cheapest on-line tire store.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by manic123
Newbie here! Just leased a 2017 Acura RDX AWD V6 for my upcoming winter fo skiing in Tahoe. Please give me your thoughts on the best winter tires for this vehicle in heavy snow. So far, I have seen these mentioned in other posts:
  • Michelin X-Ice
Any others worth investigating? Any thoughts on the best/cheapest on-line tire store.
Thanks in advance.
I can comment on the X-Ice as that's what my son and I both use (his on a '16 WRX). They are the only one with a mileage warranty and that do well on dry roads IMHO. I can comment on the Blizzaks, which I used for a few years before switching to the Michelins...very soft tire that runs well in snow and ice; however, feels like driving on velcro in warmer conditions on dry roads.

In Flagstaff, we get a lot of snow; however, I also drive off the hill enough that the X-ice are noticeably better in non-ice/snow conditions.

Good Luck.
The following users liked this post:
manic123 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 11:44 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
  • Michelin X-Ice
Thanks in advance.
I'm running those Michelin Xi2's on my 2008 RDX in winter, also for Tahoe duty. What I like about them is that on the drive home back to Marin County, they are great on dry pavement at 80 MPH, at temps in the 60s. They are not the most aggressive pure snow tire for that reason, by I also have SH-AWD
Old 07-24-2017, 07:38 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin Xi2s

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
I'm running those Michelin Xi2's on my 2008 RDX in winter, also for Tahoe duty. What I like about them is that on the drive home back to Marin County, they are great on dry pavement at 80 MPH, at temps in the 60s. They are not the most aggressive pure snow tire for that reason, by I also have SH-AWD
Kaputnick: Thanks for the feedback. The results of my Internet based due diligence efforts agree - these are the top of the line. So that's settled. Did you mount them on the OEM wheels or on a new/old set of steel wheels (for convenience of swapping out later)? Do you leave the Michelin Xi2s on all winter and drive around Marin during the work week? I'm driving out to Tahoe from Dallas (and back to Dallas in April 2018). I had planned to do those long drives on my Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires (OEM). But maybe the Michelin Xi2s will work. Your thoughts?

BTW, I lived in the SF Bay Area for 17 years - Potrero Hill, Marina, Marin City/Sausalito. Worked on the Pennisula. Skiied Squaw, Alpine, Northstar a lot back then. Heading back to North Lake to relive my glory days! I rented a house in Carnelian Bay starting DEC 1. Let's meet for beer - my treat. Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Instructor

@manic123: I went to Stanford University in the 70's and spent many a day in The City and many a weekend up in Tahoe, camping. After I graduated, I worked for the City of Palo Alto for several years. Trips to Tahoe and Santa Cruz were always a treat.

I leave my X-ice on all winter; however, the longest drive I take off the hill is a loop with 4 stops for work that runs about 800 miles, only some of which is a 75mph speed limit freeway. Much of it is at 60 on the Navajo nation. A long, solid run from Texas to Tahoe at high speeds might run the tires down faster than you want due to heat accumulation. They could probably do it OK; however, there are also lots of tire stores in and around Tahoe, now (was just there last year staying for a week in South Shore. You might want to consider buying online at TireRack.com and having the snowies delivered to one of their local shops to swap out your OEM tires once there. They actually have a warehouse in Reno and their 'recommended' shops are always friendly and helpful. My son and I both use them and have never been disappointed.

Just my butt-in humble opinion.

Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 212 Posts
I think I've posted in other places in this forum, but for me the best tires are the Nokian Hakka R2's (current tire design). I live in the northeast where winter sticks around for a while, and I have run Blizzaks, x-Ice and various Nokian models over the years - and while all will help with winter traction, the Nokian line is the best in overall traction and tread life. My wife has run a set of Nokian Hakka R's on her TL SH-AWD for 5 years and about 20k miles, and I'll likely replace them this coming winter only due to my being extremely over-protective in regards to tires my family has on their vehicles :-) . Some have said that Nokians are more expensive (or even not available) in other parts of the country. If so, I'd opt for the Michelins given my past experiences. But if you have the chance, give the Nokian's a try. They're the best I've run in my 40+ years of driving.....

andy
Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Kaputnick: Thanks for the feedback. The results of my Internet based due diligence efforts agree - these are the top of the line. So that's settled. Did you mount them on the OEM wheels or on a new/old set of steel wheels (for convenience of swapping out later)? Do you leave the Michelin Xi2s on all winter and drive around Marin during the work week? I'm driving out to Tahoe from Dallas (and back to Dallas in April 2018). I had planned to do those long drives on my Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires (OEM). But maybe the Michelin Xi2s will work. Your thoughts?

BTW, I lived in the SF Bay Area for 17 years - Potrero Hill, Marina, Marin City/Sausalito. Worked on the Pennisula. Skiied Squaw, Alpine, Northstar a lot back then. Heading back to North Lake to relive my glory days! I rented a house in Carnelian Bay starting DEC 1. Let's meet for beer - my treat. Thanks again.
Sorry for the slow response manic123 - just returned from a two-week vacation to Alaska. I tend to run the snows for weeks at a time during winter. However I drive very little in Marin otherwise. If I was going to do a roadie in warmer, drier areas, I would certainly change them out first. As mentioned above by other member, I also got mine from TireRack. I have them mounted on separate 16" rims so changing them is quick and easy. I'll be making day trips during the winter, usually Sugar Bowl, Alpine or sometimes Squaw. A beer is always welcome during a ski day!