Are FCW and CMBS Two Different Systems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015 | 05:31 PM
Pro

Are FCW and CMBS Two Different Systems?

I just purchased a new 2016 RDX Elite (Advanced in the US) in the last week of June, and as a technology Geek I am very impressed with all the various systems, and I am trying to fully understand them to get the most out of them.

The thing I am having trouble with is Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS).

Are these two separate systems? If they are two different systems, do some cars have one and not the other?

I have read some material that says FCW uses the camera to detect things like pedestrians which would not be recognized by radar. I have also heard that FCW will only create a warning , but will not perform any braking.

I understand that CMBS uses radar to determine if my RDX is rapidly approaching another vehicle, and it will also create a warning in the early stages. As the RDX gets closer to the vehicle in front it will apply the brakes slightly and tighten the seatbelt. In the final stage it will apply the brakes more powerfully and attempt to stop the RDX.

The big reason for my question, is that I'm not sure these systems are working correctly on my RDX. I have read elsewhere on this forum about owners turning off the CMBS due to frequent false warnings. I rarely get a warning even when deliberately approaching another vehicle at a good speed. In fact if I wasn't already holding my foot just above the brake pedal, it would have been impossible for me to react in the short warning time I was given. I have the warning distance set to "long" by the way.

I also covered the windshield camera with black electrical tape, and although LKAS and LDW stopped working, the "BRAKE" warnings continued the way they did previously ( very infrequently and with insufficient warning time). This particular test seems to show that my camera is not involved in these systems. Either that or my RDX does not have FCW at all.

I talked to the dealer about this. His diagnostic tests showed no diagnostic codes, so he declared the systems were working properly. He also said I would only get the warnings if I was pushing down on the gas at the time. Since he told me that I have received one warning while coasting, and another visual warning while my foot was lightly on the brake ( but no audible alert in this case)

I would really like to hear other owners describe how their systems work. Do any of you feel the system does not give sufficient warning time? Has anyone felt their seat-belts tighten up as described in the manual? Do any of you get frequent false alarms, and if you do, what driving situations cause them? If you can describe a situation which constantly causes a warning, I would like to duplicate it, in order to test my own vehicle.
Old 08-22-2015 | 06:37 PM
Instructor

I have the same question as you. And, I've done the same experiments as you -- coming up on a stopped vehicle and getting very close before braking.

But, my system did come on once -- full force. It occurred at a time when there was no danger, as I saw it. My foot was on the accelerator (may be an important part of the equation), the car quite a way in front of me slowed rapidly to make a left turn. The car was well through the turn, and I still a long ways from it, when the Acura gave a warning and applied heavy braking.

Never was anywhere near the other car, as I said, but the Acura "saw" something it didn't like.

Upon reading the manual (to the degree it is possible for a mere mortal to read those encyclopedias), I found it clearly states that the car is "looking" for a decelerating vehicle in same lane. I.E. it's looking for changes in other car's speed.

I had a couple of warnings with no braking early on. Those were also associated with cars in front of me slowing from their previous speed.

I actually turned the system on and off today to be sure it was still on. It was. But, I haven't had an alert in a while.

My guess is that I've been so focused on driving smoothly to see what kind of gas milage I can wring out of this thing, and that has resulted in no close encounters of the Acura kind.

I'm gonna give it more time to see if the algorithm reveals itself to me. It could be that the system is drawing information from the car's learning my driving patterns. Again, it happened early on but hasn't recently and doesn't deploy when I intentionally come up on a stopped car. (again, foot on/off throttle may be part of the contingencies).

Last edited by Desert Ridge; 08-22-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2015 | 09:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Desert Ridge
Upon reading the manual (to the degree it is possible for a mere mortal to read those encyclopedias), I found it clearly states that the car is "looking" for a decelerating vehicle in same lane. I.E. it's looking for changes in other car's speed.
I have looked in the owners manual, but could not find that reference. My Canadian manual says this:

The system starts monitoring the roadway ahead when your vehicle speed is about 3 mph (5 km/h) and there is a vehicle in front of you.
The radar sensor is in the front grille.
The CMBS activates when:
● The speed difference between your vehicle and a vehicle or pedestrian detected in front of you becomes about 3 mph (5 km/h) and over with a chance of a collision.
● Your vehicle speed is about 62 mph (100 km/h) or less and there is a chance of a collision with an oncoming detected vehicle or a pedestrian in front of you.

Originally Posted by Desert Ridge
It could be that the system is drawing information from the car's learning my driving patterns. Again, it happened early on but hasn't recently and doesn't deploy when I intentionally come up on a stopped car. (again, foot on/off throttle may be part of the contingencies).
Mine also seemed to alert more often during the first week of ownership. I know there are adaptive transmissions that hold the gears longer as they learn the drivers habits, but since this is a safety feature, I don't think they would automatically decrease the sensitivity for drivers who like to brake hard at the last minute. That could cause a problem when someone borrows your car.

The manual also seems to use the terms FCW and CMBS interchangeably. For example when describing the setting for Forward Collision Warning Distance, it says this setting "changes at which distance CMBS alerts".
Old 08-23-2015 | 05:45 AM
Intermediate

I have a Tech (Canadian), that I got at the end of June. So far, the system seems to work fine, but I only have 2000km on the car. The CMBS has come on only a few times, in instances I would say were warranted (merging into heavy traffic and being close to the car in front of me, for example). The FCW has worked well, except for one particular case: there's a small bridge in my city with a fairly big arch, and every time I drive on that bridge, I get a "Brake" warning just before I start driving on the arch, even tough there's no car in front of me. Guess it's fooling the system.
Old 08-23-2015 | 11:21 AM
Advanced

In the U.S. I only see a reference to CMBS. This is what the online doc says:

To help reduce the likelihood or severity of a frontal impact, the AcuraWatch Plus Package features the Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™)61