Experience with driver assists features?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016 | 05:59 PM
2nd Gear

Experience with driver assists features?

Shopping for a RDX Advance mostly for the driver assists features. I'm using the adaptive cruise on my BMW during my commute everyday and it really helps in stop and go traffic.

Want to know your experience with the ACC and LKA, a test drive probably won't let me test them out thoroughly due to different traffic conditions.

I hear the Acura ACC is not as smooth as Lexus, but the NX is a few thousands more with the options I want. Did anyone have experience with both cars and use their driver assists features?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2016 | 08:19 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

I've put several hundred highway miles on a 17 RDX with the acurawatch and I've used the features.
You don't need the advance package to get the driver assist features. You need the AcuraWatch package. The ACC I found to be good, I never had to correct it and it braked/accelerated smoothly. Plus in the screen next to the speedometer you can set the distances to which it follows, and you can see on the screen when it's braking and when its accelerating. LKA was somewhat useful if you start accidentally veering out from your lane. If you start veering too much it would move the wheel and get you back in the lane.
Old 11-03-2016 | 09:03 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2016 | 12:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by e90fans
Shopping for a RDX Advance mostly for the driver assists features. I'm using the adaptive cruise on my BMW during my commute everyday and it really helps in stop and go traffic.

Want to know your experience with the ACC and LKA, a test drive probably won't let me test them out thoroughly due to different traffic conditions.

I hear the Acura ACC is not as smooth as Lexus, but the NX is a few thousands more with the options I want. Did anyone have experience with both cars and use their driver assists features?

Thanks in advance
I am satisfied with ACC, however I still don't know when the car brakes if the stop lights light up. Also, it does NOT work for stop and go traffic. It only works above 30 ish mph and will not brake at slow speeds.
In the other hand I find the LKA pretty bad! In my RDX it is a hit or miss thing when and how it works.
Take a look at this thread for full details LKAS question - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community
Old 11-05-2016 | 08:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lalin
I am satisfied with ACC, however I still don't know when the car brakes if the stop lights light up. Also, it does NOT work for stop and go traffic. It only works above 30 ish mph and will not brake at slow speeds.
In the other hand I find the LKA pretty bad! In my RDX it is a hit or miss thing when and how it works.
Take a look at this thread for full details LKAS question - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community
I wonder also whether the brake light comes on when ACC slows the vehicle. It does work well. LKA is not full proof. I hope people are keeping their hands on the steering wheel ! The car will drift out of the lane on a curve.
Old 11-05-2016 | 08:19 PM
The Original Shawdy

I actually find on curves it stays in the middle of the lane. I played with it a lot and it works great. On a straight I would be more conserved with it bouncing of the lane edges but haven't had that issue. ACC is the shit! It is very smart and great at braking and accelerating. I am very happy my wife and I opted for the Advabce model.
Old 11-05-2016 | 09:47 PM
Pro

I find the ACC and LKA to be amazing on my '17 Advance. Works as advertised. I don't mind that the LKA "yells" at me to stay centered with the visual alarm and beeping. And the ACC...smart technology at its best. I appreciate that it lets you adjust the distance between you and the car in front of you before it kicks in to slow you down commensurate with the distance you set. The collision mitigation braking system and rear cross traffic monitor are excellent. I like the placement of the blind spot monitor, too (on the interior front pillars instead of on the side view mirrors). Of course, you still need to pay attention and not be over reliant on any of the cool driver assist stuff -- but reassuring to have, definitely.
The following users liked this post:
BPalladium (12-14-2016)
Old 11-05-2016 | 11:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by birdonamission
I find the ACC and LKA to be amazing on my '17 Advance. Works as advertised. I don't mind that the LKA "yells" at me to stay centered with the visual alarm and beeping. And the ACC...smart technology at its best. I appreciate that it lets you adjust the distance between you and the car in front of you before it kicks in to slow you down commensurate with the distance you set. The collision mitigation braking system and rear cross traffic monitor are excellent. I like the placement of the blind spot monitor, too (on the interior front pillars instead of on the side view mirrors). Of course, you still need to pay attention and not be over reliant on any of the cool driver assist stuff -- but reassuring to have, definitely.
Agreed...overall, great features that work well, as long as you know their limitations. Won't buy a vehicle without them, again!