drivability of RDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
drivability of RDX

Does your RDX (2nd gen) feels smooth and comfortable or you feel like it behaves kind of jerky (at any speed but more pronounced at low speeds 10-20mph); Sometimes I wonder if it is in my mind or if I feel the road imperfections way to much in my steering wheel and in my seat

[note: I am coming from a Chevy Avalanche and I thought that It would take some time to get used to the different driving dynamics but 6 months have gone by and I haven’t gotten used; I owned an Audi A4 before that and I don’t remember ever feeling that].

Hopefully I dont get tired of these issues (humming/rumble noise and jerky drivability) [the distinction between objective and subjective is kind of blurry here] because If they continues I know I will end up trading the RDX and that would be a pity because there are many things in the RDX that I like
Old 07-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only time a notice a "jerk" (extremely mild and I'm used to it) is on the hwy when the engine increases cylinders. Otherwise, very smooth at low speeds. Was in an ILX hybrid for a loaner this week. The switch from gas/electric wasn't seamless, to say the least. Have you had someone from service ride with you?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
By "jerky" do you mean the transmission or the ride?

I found my 2012 TL to be jerky in the transmission, as if there was slack in the driveline, but the RDX doesn't feel the same.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I find the ride in our RDX to be very smooth. Not jerky at all. Be sure you are using the correct gas, we use the mid range type. I'd agree with above poster, have a service advisor ride with you to evaluate the ride, or just ask to drive another RDX at your dealer for comparison.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:17 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is jerky at low speeds (especially around 20, 40 mph). I've talked to and had a tech ride with me and they say it is normal. I still don't believe that it is normal though...
Old 07-22-2013, 01:22 AM
2nd Gear

First Post: Just got a 2014 RDX FWD w/tech pkg yesterday. Drives great. No jerkiness that I've noticed. We drove a 500 mile 2013 AWD and I was not impressed. I like the FWD 2014 much better. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Ride is smooth, shifting into gear though it is very jerky which pisses me off from time to time when I'm not expecting it, even when the engine and transmission are warm.

My biggest pet peeve, the damn keyless entry systems. I think it is terrible compared to my BMW and Volvo ones. Often it won't unlock all doors depending where I'm standing, even won't unlock the passenger door when I'm pulling on the handle with the FOB in my pocket. Also, the constant beeping when out of the vehicle (like putting in fuel) is rediculous.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
^Shifting into gear from park, reverse, neutral or the way the transmission shifts on it's own?
Of the three 6 speed autos Ive owned, this one is the best. I prefer a transmission that lets you know that it has completed a shift vs one that slips and slides into gear.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your want your FOB proxmity to open passanger door, you need to reprogram settings in your car. The default is to open only driver and then you need to press the unlock on the inside.

Having said that, I could bet my life that sometimes the passanger door opens.. most times it does not ...

The closing/opning of doors/hatch annoys me quite a bit ... maybe I could gotten used to it but it is really wifes car ...
Old 07-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
Does your RDX (2nd gen) feels smooth and comfortable or you feel like it behaves kind of jerky (at any speed but more pronounced at low speeds 10-20mph); Sometimes I wonder if it is in my mind or if I feel the road imperfections way to much in my steering wheel and in my seat

[note: I am coming from a Chevy Avalanche and I thought that It would take some time to get used to the different driving dynamics but 6 months have gone by and I haven’t gotten used; I owned an Audi A4 before that and I don’t remember ever feeling that].

Hopefully I dont get tired of these issues (humming/rumble noise and jerky drivability) [the distinction between objective and subjective is kind of blurry here] because If they continues I know I will end up trading the RDX and that would be a pity because there are many things in the RDX that I like
While I haven't noticed the jerkiness you describe on my '14 RDX, the rumble you describe is driving me nuts. It sounds like the wheels are loose. The slightest bump causes the suspension to sound like the wheels "clatter". My wife asked, "why do the wheels sound like they're clattering on anything but a smooth road"?. If she's noticed it, that can't be good. I've owned many cheaper cars that didn't feel or sound that bad on a bumpier roads. Otherwise, the car seems okay, however, because of this, I'll probably be getting rid of it, which is something I really didn't plan on doing this soon.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The RDX is one of the smoothest vehicles I've ever driven, minus the occasional roughness climbing hills. The more I drive it, the more I love it. It also seems a bit smoother and accelerates more responsively since reaching around 3k miles.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
It is the smoothest vehicle I have ever owned. I guess I am not experiencing the issues some of the others have here. I love it.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
"Also, the constant beeping when out of the vehicle (like putting in fuel) is rediculous."

This has never happened to me. If you shut off the car it shouldn't do that. I hope you don't leave the vehicle running while you fill with gas.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have experienced the "beeping" from the key fob while the car is running and I walk away by mistake with the keys on me. Mine RDX didn't start to beep until I was near the rear of the car.

As for the ride itself, I haven't been in anything that has such a smooth ride. I always feel as if the car doesn't want to go 35 mpg and begs to be on the open highway.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 AM
2nd Gear

I'm a newbie, so please forgive me if I posted in wrong thread. I just bought a 2013 RDX, my major questions revolve around gas mileage, has anyone gotten close to 28 mpg yet? Also, I cannot get my homelink to program, anyone else have issues?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by outwism
I'm a newbie, so please forgive me if I posted in wrong thread. I just bought a 2013 RDX, my major questions revolve around gas mileage, has anyone gotten close to 28 mpg yet? Also, I cannot get my homelink to program, anyone else have issues?
Homelink instructions are here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=homelink

I can't get the HL in our 2014 RDX to recognize my Liftmaster 372LM transmitter, even with new batteries. Our 2007 MDX won't recognize it either. I've ordered a Lilftmaster 895MAX to see if that might work. It was only ~$24 shipped from Amazon.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Homelink does not work very well with my garage door opener. It took me quite a while to get it to work at all. Now it works, but probably only one time out of three. My car has to be very close to the garage. The biggest problem for me (including when setting it up) has been that I often do not hold the homelink button long enough. Try holding it for several seconds, including during setup. I usually push it for a few seconds and nothing happens, then I let go and wait a second and try again. Usually it works by the third time.

Gregg
Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vbgregg
Homelink does not work very well with my garage door opener. It took me quite a while to get it to work at all. Now it works, but probably only one time out of three. My car has to be very close to the garage. The biggest problem for me (including when setting it up) has been that I often do not hold the homelink button long enough. Try holding it for several seconds, including during setup. I usually push it for a few seconds and nothing happens, then I let go and wait a second and try again. Usually it works by the third time.

Gregg
In my case I've tried holding both buttons together for ranges of 10-30 seconds, and I've tried holding the HL button while depressing and releasing the remote in intervals varying between two and five seconds. All to no avail. HL just will not recognize this remote. I've put new batteries in all three of our remotes and tried each. No luck. I've programmed HL in other vehicles before. And, at one point we had HL linked to our Liftmaster in our 2007 MDX but I had to clear out the remotes from the lifts themselves and start over. Now I can't get any remote paired to HL in either vehicle. I can't get past step 1. Very annoying.

I figure it's the remotes so I ordered a nicer one and will try that after it arrives.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Cruisin'

The new Liftmaster 895MAX paired like a charm with HL. Both the RDX and the MDX HL's are now programmed and operate our garage doors. I guess the signal in the old (only six years old all with new batteries) was too weak.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
"Also, the constant beeping when out of the vehicle (like putting in fuel) is rediculous."

This has never happened to me. If you shut off the car it shouldn't do that. I hope you don't leave the vehicle running while you fill with gas.
I would never fill up with the vehicle running. The radio is still on, putting gear in N so radio keeps playing and shutting off the engine and the beeps and beeps while I'm pupping gas. No idea what the point of it is other than to irritate me and draw attention at gas stations
Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
point of it is other than to irritate me and draw attention at gas stations

The rather obvious reason is that you don't walk away from your vehicle with the engine running which somebody did in Florida in their garage and it killed them because the fumes infiltrated the home and/or it would make it easy to steal your vehicle. Another reason would be if you walk away with the vehicle in full accessory mode it would drain your battery. That being said, it would seem that there could be some way to program it to tell it that "hey, I'm just stepping out to fill with gas and my passengers want to listen to the damn radio." Technology is not our friend sometimes but on the most part makes things easier. I wonder if locking the car with the fob upon exiting would do anything?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

I have a 2014 FWD. So far the only complaint is a chatter from the suspension especially the rear on mild bumps. I think these new high tech shocks are a little too complicated. No such noise from my older CR-V. Sometimes I wish for slightly more damping with conventional shocks.

There is an occasional groan when shifting at low speeds but has not been objectionable. I am not sure if it is transmission or VCM related.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
As others have mentioned, I feel the shifts once in a while, presumably relating to cylinder deactivation. It doesn't really bother me. And I am hearing a little rumble once in a while coming from the rear (will ask about the shocks during the first service).

But the RDX is the smoothest riding, most quiet vehicle I've ever owned. And considering its size, the handling on twisty roads (there are many around my area) is like a sports sedan.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Instructor

UPDATE:

Well, I brought my RDX to a nearby dealership for service and complained about some issues (VCM subtle vibration, vibration at 80-90 mph, lurching at low speeds, uncomfortable ride, etc); I had a test ride with a service advisor and could only replicate vibration at 80 mph, so they ended up having my car for 2.5 days (I dont know why it took that long). When I got it back I was surprised at how well & smooth the car rides, I don’t feel the low speed lurching that much and the VCM crap has been hardly perceptible.

I dont know exactly what they did. In the service report sheet they specify that the customer complains about vibration at 80-90 mph (dont tell the cops) and that the service technician found that the wheels were off-balanced and that it was fixed. It also specifies that the customer complains about a subtle VCM vibration (Humming/rumble noise) and that the service technician found the car to work under normal specs. The service advisor told me that they were going to apply any available software update (nothing is mentioned in the service report sheet), she told me that they had taken advantage of the occasion to replace the brake pads (don’t know reason) as if it was something unrelated to what I was experiencing. Well, I hope that the fixing of the VCM vibration is not related to a computer reset because in that case I know that I will have it back in a week or so. Ah, something else, they seem to have adjusted my steering wheel, it feels much stiffer and nice now
Old 12-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's jerky at low speeds because of the brake assist. I'm really not a fan of the jerkiness but the brakes have saved me from rear-ending people a few times so I guess I can't complain. It's also a little jerky when it's cold, and every once in a while I can feel the VCM kick on or off, but generally it's very smooth.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Intermediate

The VCM on mine has been imperceptible. After 8,000 miles it the drivetrain feels better and better. I don't know if the car is breaking in or it's breaking me in as I learn it. The only fly in the ointment is the rear chatter.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Instructor

brake assist

Originally Posted by Roadie2000
It's jerky at low speeds because of the brake assist. I'm really not a fan of the jerkiness but the brakes have saved me from rear-ending people a few times so I guess I can't complain. It's also a little jerky when it's cold, and every once in a while I can feel the VCM kick on or off, but generally it's very smooth.
You have me confused here . I know that the RDX has a brake assist system controlled by a microprocessor although I am not really sure how it works. I have tried googling it and couldnt find anything useful. You are saying that this system has saved you from rear ending other cars so my question is; How does it work? The RDX does not have any visible sensor in the front bumper like other vehicles with "real" collision avoidance system ...
Old 12-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I believe roadie is referring to the hill anti rollback feature.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
You have me confused here . I know that the RDX has a brake assist system controlled by a microprocessor although I am not really sure how it works. I have tried googling it and couldnt find anything useful. You are saying that this system has saved you from rear ending other cars so my question is; How does it work? The RDX does not have any visible sensor in the front bumper like other vehicles with "real" collision avoidance system ...
I got home and have the owner's manual in front of me and it says that "the brake assist system is designed to assist the driver by generating greater braking force when you depress the brake pedal hard during emergency braking", which makes totally valid the possibility of preventing several rear-ending accidents; ... but what I fail to see is the possible relation with the lurching behavior, I mean it happens at low speeds and the brake pedal is NOT involved.