Did anyone get Acura running boards?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 05:17 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Did anyone get Acura running boards?

I was wondering about the utility of the available Acura running boards on the new RDX.

From the photos on the Acura website, it looks like they won't ease entry for front seat passengers since they seem to be recessed there, but they project further out for use by the rear passengers.

Therefore, I guess my question is, do they make entry and exit of the rear seat passengers any easier?

Are there any regrets from those who have purchased them?

Any other opinions on the running boards would be appreciated; thanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
You are correct, i have them, they came with the car.. I think they are meant more so to help you tie things down and load things onto the roof rack if you have that also. They only really help out if you have the rear doors open and can aid with people getting in/out of the rear
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Not sure of the design on the RDX but I have had them on other vehicles and had mixed emotions. They ease entry and exit for kids and short adults. For longer-legged individuals who step over them to exit, mine left a dirt smear on the back of your pants if the rails were dirty or wet.

Last edited by Dorsey; 03-29-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 444 Likes on 303 Posts
I had boards on my CRV's and liked them for the looks and they helped keep "spray" and junk from flying up on the sides, better than just having mud flaps only.

Also, a little note. The new CRV's running boards are the same ones for the RDX. New style for the CRV....and personally I don't like the looks....the flair style doesn't do it for me.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 444 Likes on 303 Posts
After I wrote my previous reply on the "boards" I did a search for aftermarket boards that looked better and were made to fit the '13 RDX perfectly. Nothing yet....but, maybe fairly soon some will start popping up.

I did some thinking about what the underside of my doors looked like...after opening them and inspecting while cleaning....after bad winter weather...crappy streets, etc......and the bottom door seals trap and collect a lot of nasty debris that has to be carefully wiped out from the double flap seal....and then cleaning the general area. I'm thinking that before next winter....and if I can't find a quality after market board....then I might put on the factory ones....mainly to help protect the body....bottom of the doors, from road debris.

Acuraparts.com....an Acura dealer source in Kansas has the cheapest price for them I've found so far for me. $420.00. Acura list's them for $560. Being in Col. my shipping cost....ground is only $24.94. Not bad.
If on the eastcoast....acurapartssuperstore.com...another Acura dealers parts on line outlet.....sells them for $402.00. Now that is cheaper than the other one...but, for me....the ground shipping would be $77.23. So, the deal out of Kansas is overall cheaper. For those of you on the East Coast...then the 2nd one might work...better.

Take care!!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
Agree with all the posts above on having running boards for spray/splash protection and for stepping in and out of the car, loading roof racks, etc. On certain SUVs, it also looks more complete with running boards.

Tim here has always given me the best prices anywhere, and he will price match or beat most lower prices from an online store or eBay:

https://acurazine.com/forums/members/oemacurapartstim-283146/

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/now-save-even-more-844334/
Old 04-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have the running boards and love them. While they don't help for front seat passengers, they are very useful for our kid to climb in the back seat. Our kid loves them and calls them his step.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:56 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a 2013 RDX Tech AWD and have been searching for full length running boards since I'm not a fan of the Acura Sport running boards.

As noted above they have very limited function. Either the Acura Design team didn't think it through or there's a issue with the weight loading at the front door. Any how I've had no luck finding full length running boards that fit the 2013 model.

I just joined Acurazine in hopes of finding decent running boards. Something like what is offered on the MDX would be nice.

Otherwise we love our new RDX. We also bought:
Door edge film since we park both cars in the garage.
Splash Guards
Body Side Molding
Cargo Tray
Roof Rails
Cross Bars, but these were returned to the dealer, since they were cockeyed on the rails.
I thought it was a poor installation, but the mechanic shown me the installation and I concluded that it was another poor design by Acura. When I've been a member long enough I'll upload a pick of the cockeyed installation. Now I need to find 3rd party cross bars that fit and look good on the Roof Rails
Also had them install the rear bumper appliqué, but it was also installed incorrectly and had the RDX printed on it. It was not what I had expected it so the dealer was kind enough to refund that as well as the cross bars.

I'm debating on whether or not to keep the XM radio subscription with the traffic & weather. Has anyone found this feature worth the monthly subscription?

Again I'm new to Acurazine and thread posting all together so let me know if there's another forum I should use. Like I said, I've just been looking for better running boards

Thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions
Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the running boards?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by musty hustla
Anyone have a picture of the running boards?
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-photograph-gallery-408/2013-awd-tech-silver-moon-w-accessories-881327/
The following users liked this post:
musty hustla (05-31-2013)