dealer shortcomings

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
dealer shortcomings

I bought my 2014 RDX recently from an Acura dealer nearby, with about 85,000 km on the clock. Prior to puchasing it, I asked for the service history, which they supplied.
They changed the oil (maintenance minder B) as part of the prep for re-sale (after it was traded in to them). The RDX then sat on the lot for 2 months until I came along. The mileage did not go up over that time by more than 200 km.
They must not have reset the oil life indicator when they changed the oil since it was reading 40% left when I bought it. Shame!

Also, they did not erase the previous owner's data from the Nav and Cell system, all his previous Nav destinations/addresses and home address were in there as well as his contact's phone numbers.

The previous owners name was on the service reports, it wasn't a common name, and I was curious about the type of person who previously owned my vehicle since it was new... so I got online and easily found out who he was, where he worked, even saw his photo and profile on LinkedIn. I was very pleased to see that he was an older well-educated gentleman with a high-level manager's position, so that actually gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Anyway, if you plan to trade in your vehicle or turn it in at lease-end, erase your personal info from it., don't assume the dealer will......
Old 12-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Racer

BTW I thought it somewhat interesting to note that all the previous oil changes were done almost exactly every 15,000 km (9400 miles) and it appears all were due to the MM coming up.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I'd change the oil again. Trusting a dealer is not advised.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Racer

Ya, tough call...I don't trust them in general...but the last service report where they supposedly changed the oil also had many other items such as wiper blades, repair windshield, new battery, machine the rotors, and the safety certification was done. Since it took no time for the sales manager to print out the stack of service reports for me, I doubt any of them are fudged. I guess I will see how clean the oil looks when the MM hits 10% and make a decision then. It looked brand new when I bought the vehicle.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Pro

Coupons for $25 - $30 change are easy to come by, at least around here. Seems a small price to pay for knowing where you're at/peace of mind.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:02 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
The maintenance minder will start flashing when the oil life shows 15%. You can change it then.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Check the oil on the dipstick, if it has been changed lately it will be like new, clean and clear, if it's old it will be black. If it's new, reset the oil to show 100%.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidoor
I bought my 2014 RDX recently from an Acura dealer nearby, with about 85,000 km on the clock. Prior to puchasing it, I asked for the service history, which they supplied.
They changed the oil (maintenance minder B) as part of the prep for re-sale (after it was traded in to them). The RDX then sat on the lot for 2 months until I came along. The mileage did not go up over that time by more than 200 km.
They must not have reset the oil life indicator when they changed the oil since it was reading 40% left when I bought it. Shame!

Also, they did not erase the previous owner's data from the Nav and Cell system, all his previous Nav destinations/addresses and home address were in there as well as his contact's phone numbers.

The previous owners name was on the service reports, it wasn't a common name, and I was curious about the type of person who previously owned my vehicle since it was new... so I got online and easily found out who he was, where he worked, even saw his photo and profile on LinkedIn. I was very pleased to see that he was an older well-educated gentleman with a high-level manager's position, so that actually gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Anyway, if you plan to trade in your vehicle or turn it in at lease-end, erase your personal info from it., don't assume the dealer will......
Always do including erasing the homelink garage code.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Always do including erasing the homelink garage code.
I bet a lot of folks don't think to do.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:08 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Check the oil on the dipstick, if it has been changed lately it will be like new, clean and clear, if it's old it will be black. If it's new, reset the oil to show 100%.
Just change now and be done with it. The cost is too minimal to wonder what's up. Used cars are ALWAYS a crap shoot.