Cylinder 1 Misfire/Cylinder head or VCM

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cylinder 1 Misfire/Cylinder head or VCM

So I have an interesting problem. My 2013 RDX has been having a cylinder 1 misfire. The first time this happened it was really bad, like real bad. The car barely had any power to get up and go but I managed to limp it to the Acura dealer to have them take a look at it. They diagnosed the issue as needing new spark plugs and sent me on my way. That was in April 2024. A couple of weeks ago the car started to shake again and all the warning lights came back on. I used my own code reader this time and saw misfire cylinder 1. Overall the shaking and power loss wasn't as bad as the first time. After taking it to the Acura dealer they are now telling me that the Rear Cylinder Head (bank 1) needs to be replaced as there is oil fowling cylinder 1. They are trying to get me to machine the cylinder head and if that doesn't work say I need a new engine. Also, the manager at the dealership said if it was him he would just get the new engine as it could also be the cylinder rings. The service manager also told me that they should have told me last time that there was oil in the cylinder and that the plugs were just a temporary fix. So far I told them no on the repairs and they just replaced the spark plug while I figure out what I want to do. I will be taking it to a different mechanic for work if it needs it but I thought I would reach out first to see if anyone else has had this issue.

The Acura dealer said they have never done one of these on the 2013 before so I'm wondering if this really is the issue or if I'm just unlucky. I have read about the issues with the 3.5 VCM so I am wondering if I install the part that disables the VCM would it possibly keep oil from fowling the cylinder 1 plug because it would never shut off? If that isn't something that would help I'm looking at about a $2k+ repair on my car with 130k miles so any advice or suggestions are helpful.