Considering new RDX - need owner opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Considering new RDX - need owner opinions.

We are in the process of choosing a replacement vehicle for my wife’s 2009 Camry Hybrid. I narrowed it down to the Ford Escape Titanium, Nissan Murano LE Platinum Edition, and RDX with Tech. Pkg.

The Escape is just too small, so that’s off the list. We then test drove a 2014 RDX with Tech. followed by a 2013 Murano LE Plat. Edition.

We liked BOTH vehicles. I was leaning towards the RDX (performance is important) and my wife was leaning toward the Murano because…it comes in a similar color to the one that Acura - in their infinite DUMBDOM - dropped for 2014, “Amber Brownstone.” (Kona Coffee might as well be black, IMO.)

We were ready to find a Murano but there are virtually no 2013s in their equivalent Tinted Bronze Metallic with beige interior anywhere. This was a perfect opportunity for me to push the advantages of the RDX over the Murano and go with that. There are ample models in our area with the exact configuration so I was all set to start contacting local dealers about prices. My wife also likes the Graphite so everything was moving along nicely until I started delving into the sub-forums on “Acurazine,” after having only read the “main” forum posts.

This is what I found:

1. The NAV system is apparently a complete joke! I’m a “car guy,” had a 2002 Cadillac STS with NAV and one in every vehicle since. “The word on the street” since the early days of built-in NAVs was that Acura had the BEST systems and Toyota the worst. I’ve learned to live with the Denso systems in our Camry and my Lexus RX400h, but from what I’ve read about the NAV in the RDX, it is even worse in many respects. It seemed OK when the salesguy demoed it after the test drive, but seems to me 80% of the comments on this board are negative. Don’t give me the “just buy a Garmin or use your smartphone.” I don’t want to hear it. This step backwards for Acura is inexcusable.

2. The “shudder” caused by the VCM or transmission is just the kind of thing that would drive me crazy! Seems like there’s always a big price to pay for achieving an improvement in fuel economy.

3. I am unclear as to whether the rear shock issue has been resolved.

4. The abnormally high idle on colder starts followed by taking “long” times to bring the rpms to a more normal idle would be an issue since two of our vehicles sit outside all year. Don’t give me the “just sit there and let it warm-up until the revs come down.” Not only is that against ALL contemporary practice, my wife would not tolerate it.

I am really disgusted right now. The Murano LE is more luxurious, rides smoother, has more hi-tech gadgetry including electronic SAFETY features, larger fuel tank, and optional LED DRls. I have a close friend who is a bigger “car guy” than me and he just replaced his 2003 Murano with the model we’re looking at. THAT alone says a lot about that vehicle.

However, the RDX is lighter, quicker, better handling, potentially less expensive, 18” wheels, hooded and better NAV SCREEN, better back-up camera, reverse tilt-down mirrors, quieter engine, individual TPMS readouts, better mileage, and four year warranty.

It’s not like we HAVE to replace the Camry...it still runs fine and has only 37K miles. But, even my wife has been bitten by the “new car bug” and we want to get something else. The RDX seemed so promising but after reading of the aforementioned issues I am turned off. She’s ready to get a Murano.

I need some RDX owners out there to give me some guidance and allay my fears here.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
My first reaction is that you listed advantages of both the RDX and the Murano, and you listed disadvantages of the RDX, but you did not list any disadvantages of the Murano, so the picture seems to be missing a piece. I have never looked at a Murano, so maybe it has no disadvantages, but I assume that it's like most other vehicles and has at least a few things to complain about. There are trade-offs involved in every comparison, so it seems like you need to compile a list of pros and cons for both vehicles and then choose the one you can best live with, based on what things are most important to you (and your wife).

By the way, I have a 2013 RDX with Tech and I like it. There are several small things I complain about, but overall I really like the car (at least so far). Regarding your list of 4 disadvantages of the RDX, I personally have never experienced #2, #3, or #4. I agree that there seem to be a few problems with the NAV, but since I never had NAV before, they don't bother me much (at least so far). I like seeing the maps on a big screen, and so far the maps seem fairly accurate. I don't use the NAV to give me driving instructions, so any of those problems don't affect me.

Gregg
Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
It is obvious that you dislike enough aspects about the RDX that you should avoid it like the plague. I think you should stick with the Toyota brand.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Gregg,

Thanks for your response. That's just what I had in mind; determining how widespread these issues are.

As far as disadvantages of the Murano, some of them are implied in the list of positives about the RDX.

BTW, since I made that post, I was thinking about the VCM "shudder." I did not notice it on the short test drive.

But in any hybrid vehicle, in order to achieve better fuel economy, as the Internal Combustion Engine cycles on and off there is always a little noticeable "shudder." The more sophisticated powertrains minimize it and it doesn't bother me in my RX400h. In fact, it can be almost reassuring when you notice it and think about the gas you just saved.

If it's not a HUGE deal with the RDX, I'd think it could offer that same reassurance. Some Acurazine members are really annoyed by it, though.

I did do a comparo between them but many aspects of it are at implied in my post. Here they are in case you or anyone else is interested:

RDX
1. Slightly cheaper OTD
2. Better MPG
3. 8” hooded NAV screen but NO TOUCH input
4. Lighter/quicker/better handling
5. Slightly smaller
6. Plenty to choose from
7. 18” wheels - tires cheaper
8. Back-up camera multi-view
9. Noise cancellation
10. Quieter engine acceleration
11. FOUR YEAR WARRANTY
12. TPMS shows ind. tire pressure
NEGATIVES
13. VCM (variable cylinder mgt.) [Which I now wonder about]
14. Potential rear shock problem
15. Solid rear disc
16. 16 gal. fuel tank
17. Premium fuel RECOMMENDED (not required)

MURANO
1. BI-Xenons
2. LED tail and DRLs (opt.)
3. HD NAV TOUCHscreen plus wheel entry
4. Steering wheel position memory
5. Power Tilt/Telescopic Steering Wheel
6. Rain-sensing wipers
7. Heated REAR seats
8. Power-return rear seatbacks
9. HEATED STEERING WHEEL
10. Smoother ride
11. Bronze Tinted Metallics
11. Blind spot warning/Lane departure warning/Moving object detection
12. Regular fuel
NEGATIVES
11. Not many 2013s left
12. Potential transfer case problem
13. Nissan dealer closer but service iffy
14. A gear in the tilt steering wheel mechanism is prone to failure
15. Lower MPG
16. Nissan batteries notorious for dying unexpectedly with no warning

Last edited by BobBass; 10-22-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
OP, If I were you, I would look at the long term run of both vehicles. I know for sure some of the Nissan VQ engines have burning oil problems. I think the RDX would be more reliable in the long run. I honestly don't even notice the VCM engine noise. The cabin is way too quiet and I really like it. Suspension wise, that issue is a hit and miss. My RDX is still pretty new (8000 kms) so I can't chime in on that. For the Navigation, do you use it everyday that it is a deal breaker for you? I know people like having the navigation, but I don't think people use it that often.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you are leaning towards the Murano but for what it's worth: The nav in my 2009 TSX was essentially the same system that is used in the new RDX and I find my iPhone's nav is much more intuitive, so I went without on my RDX. I had the defective shocks and my dealer's service department replaced them with the updated ones, which resolved the issue. Also, the VCM activating does not bother me at all. I never even noticed until this forum pointed it out to me.

I also can't stand CVTs. Just my

Last edited by ryans_tsx; 10-22-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Advantages of buying RDX over Murano:
-The RDX has just recently introduced the new body style (Current Muranos have been in the market for 5 years)
-Acura is a bit more high end that Nissans in general. (I know the Muranos have similar bells and whistles)
-Acura is more reliable in general. (My previous daily is a TL and never had a problem with it)
-RDX is fun for me. (The V6 on sport mode is fun)
-I think that seats on the RDX are comfier that the Murano

I know I'm biased but I did look into the Murano when I was in the market. I honestly went to the RDX because it's an Acura and it will be a reliable daily(I'm in my third year of Mechanical Engineering)
Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I suggest driving them both back-to-back.

The RDX might have some of the issues you mention (the nav is certainly my major gripe) but the RDX's quiet ride and great handling in the twisties - as well as on freeways - sold me.

Last edited by davisinla; 10-22-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
I have not noticed any of the four issues you posted. We really like our RDX. We even like the nav. Keep in mind that the people who post on forums (any of them, not just this one) are a tiny fraction of the owners. You're not seeing a representative sample. It often makes it seem like isolated problems (or perceived problems) are much more pervasive than they really are.

OTOH, it sounds like you've made up your mind. I hope you enjoy your Murano.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Advanced

More GREAT replies. Much appreciated. Thanks!

Please understand I'm not some troll putting down the RDX. I was leaning VERY heavily towards the RDX until reading some of the sub-forums which are just making me leery.

The NAV deal...I'm hoping it's the kind of thing that the more you use and get accustomed to it, the better it seems. That certainly was the case with Toyota. On the other hand, some Acurazine members having experience with EARLIER Acuras say the new RDX version is a step backward.

Edmua6 - no question about Acura being a "higher level" than Nissan. One advantage I forgot to add was that the Intellichoice ranks the 5 year value of the RDX at 50% and the Murano at 46%. Hardly a big difference, but something else on the RDX side.

However, if you're talking LUXURY, the Murano LE Plat. Ed. interior is really the equivalent of a Lexus RX. And, now that we're headed into the winter season, that heated steering wheel really beckons...

I probably won't make a final decision until Monday at the earliest.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Lost in translation

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I liked the Murano alright. Well put together and excellent features. Remarkably quiet, powerful ride for a non-luxury vehicle. The RDX base model came with leather, while the Murano required an upper trim level, so it priced itself out of the competition. My recollection was that it would cost about two grand more OTD.

The RDX felt more composed when cornering. And it blew the doors off the Murano in accelleration. CVT's turn me off, too, but the Murano's worked better than expected. Oh, and the RDX's improved gas mileage will save enough money each year to buy lots of my favorite beer.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basic opinions. I hate the feel and drivability of CVT transmissions and the Murano (Nissan Moron) looks like a modern day AMC Gremlin. It really looks like it's aspiring to be a minivan someday. I have 3 friends that have the Nissan and 2 of them can't wait to get rid of them. One more fact relevant to New England is the fact that the Nissan is not good in the snow.
In regards to the Acura Nav: Sure, the interface could be improved and I am hoping all the feedback they're receiving will motivate them to make some changes. That said, you get used to it. We just set it before we leave and it's never an issue.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Intermediate

NEGATIVES
13. VCM (variable cylinder mgt.) [Which I now wonder about]
14. Potential rear shock problem
15. Solid rear disc
16. 16 gal. fuel tank

We only have 1K on the clock at this point but my feedback on these things would be:
13) That VCM will get you around 27MPG. I did extensive research on this and determined that Acura is not having any major issues with this. In terms of wear, cylinder 5 and 6 never shut down but I believe metallurgy / materials technology is at the level where this shouldn't be a problem. This tech has been around for quite a few years so unless you have a 1st generation Cadillac North Star V8, you should be fine. I also believe that this is the source of the so-called shudder. I have actually tried to find it. On the highway at a steady pace you detect a very slight "feel" but it's so slight you would have to be a complete nut or extremely OCD to let it bother you. Remember, that is the system that gets you 27mpg w/o a battery system (don't get me started on that)
14) Haven't noticed anything yet
15) How does this affect the driving (or owning) experience in any way under normal driving conditions?! Are you going be bringing the RDX to the track on Sundays?
16) We get roughly 360 miles to a tank (with Boston traffic) with an engine that is barely broken in.
17) We use midgrade (89). Premium fuel is recommended not required. No forced induction with this engine so unless you live in Death Valley in the summer (or your track Sundays) you shouldn't need premium.

No offense intended but you sound suspiciously like someone that works at a Nissan dealer.....
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced

JFK-USAF,

No offense intended but you sound suspiciously like someone that works at a Nissan dealer.....
HA-HA! Couldn't be further from the truth. One of the big negatives for me and Nissan is having had a bad experience on my 2004 Maxima. It was the first year of the re-design and I should have known better than to buy it. LOTSA toothing problems (not counting the grille) on that vehicle plus the service dept. wasn't the greatest to deal with.

Thanks for your opinion on the VCM. I only mentioned it because like the NAV, some Acurazine members are VERY upset at this "shudder." I threw in the rear disc mention because it just seems odd in this day and age. For practical purposes, it's probably a non-issue except for the added weight.

Update some might find interesting: I contacted the insurance company. The Camry premium would DROP $15 changing to the Murano and RAISE $57 for the Acura. A "wash" either way IMO.

How these insurance companies figure premiums is beyond me. A couple of years ago, when I moved from an '85 Corvette to an '09 it actually DROPPED!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe the Murano is getting a complete resdesign in 2014 ('15 model). That is why I crossed it off my list- didn't want a car that looked outdated after one year (since we plan on holding on to it for a while). But this may not be a big concern to you.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Tyrone,

YES - I am fully aware of the third gen Murano coming in 2015. The concept vehicles really look sharp.

BUT, I wouldn't touch one until 2017 considering my previous first gen. Maxima experience. One positive about getting a 2014 is that the bugs will have been worked out as much as they can be. Except they still have the AWD transfer case issue and the power adjustable steering wheel gear premature failure.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Yeah... The the insurance thing is pretty foggy. Our insurance dropped when we traded the 08 Land Rover in for the RDX. I like the looks of the new Maxima but no awd and that damn CVT.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I recently purchased a 2014 RDX with tech pkg and my wife has a 2007 RL. The reason I purchased the RDX is that I really liked the way the car drove, lots of pickup, spacious interior etc....plus in six years my wife's RL has been basically maintenance free. However, with all that said I'm sure there are other makes that do the same as the RL and RDX. The most important factor I found was the way I was treated by the dealership and service department when I would bring my wife's service. It has been way better experience in doing something I dislike very much. From getting quick appointments, being updated as things come along to the pastries and starbucks coffee at the dealership.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Regarding the VCM issue, at least on my RDX, it's definitely not a shudder, maybe more of a "bump," and most of the time I don't even notice it. I'd compare the feeling to when the A/C compressor kicks on in lower-powered cars. If that doesn't bug you much, I doubt the VCM will. I consider myself hyper-sensitive to vehicle vibrations and it doesn't bother me one bit, though I'll admit some of that is because I know every time I feel it I'm cutting my fuel consumption in half.
And as for gas, I used midgrade for a few tanks and I'm now trying regular since premium is only "recommended" and there are other Hondas using the same engine that only call for regular. My only observations are that the engine is very slightly rougher on acceleration (no pinging, mind you, as knock sensors keep the engine from killing itself anyway) and maybe a 1 mpg drop. That drop might just as easily be different driving a little more aggressively or the switch to winter gas over the last few weeks.
I'll even throw out that if the nav is that offensive, you could just save a few grand and go for a base. I did and am happy about it. I still get a quick, comfortable, quiet ride with enough tech to keep me entertained. Backup camera is handy, phone and music streaming is great, noise cancellation rocks, and the keyless entry and ignition is one of those features I never knew I needed until I got it.
On the service side, Acura/Honda parts are cheap, they're easy to work on if you're so inclined, and $25 oil/filter changes w/ a free car wash at my dealership more than make up for a little extra if I feel like putting better gas in it some days...
Old 10-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
It's interesting to hear(for me, thirty years after the first time)..."Don't buy the first model year or the first year of a redesign" approach; considering the majority of folks on this forum bought the '13 RDX...a brand new model for all practical purposes---and very few of us have had any freshman year problems with our vehicles.

I bought a brand spankin new model XC60 before any were even delivered in the state...zero problems I can attribute to the new design.

I'm sure there are some vehicles out there that are put in the pipeline before they have the kinks worked out; but there is no way I'd skip a first-year Acura because of its newness.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
BobBass....Welcome to Acurazine and thanks for putting your trust in us, the every day users rather than just basing your opinion on very biased car revues which many of them are driven by money

I have had the 2013 RDX for about 1.5 years now and still love every single minute I am behind the wheel. It is a very comfortable vehicle, drives and handles extremely well and is very quiet. I much prefer the interior of the Acura and at night, I find the white cluster illumination is very elegant and just looks so classy.

I will say the following:

1. I have been experiencing the rear shock problem but have not had a chance to have them replaced yet but I think this issue is resolved now.

2. The NAV situation is not a big issue for me as I also don't use it for direction but as a map visualization tool. For me, I wanted the TECH pack because of the ELS stereo and the NAV was part of the package. You should try it again and see how it will affect your opinion of the RDX.

3. Fuel efficiency has been amazing on mine....I am averaging 7.9-8.3l/100km (28-30mpg) which for a vehicle this size and AWD is pretty impressive but I am not a very aggresive driver....when I want to drive aggressively, I take the TL

4. The VCM has not been an issue for me, sure you can feel a ever so subtle activation/deactivation but on mine, its no where near enough to give it any thoughts - I am quite anal!! That being said, each unit may be different. I will say that when its very cold (-25C or -30C), the VCM is a wee bit more noticeable but again, not a show stopper.

5. I wouldn't let the solid rear disc as being an issue...the braking is more than adequate on the RDX and ventilated or solid on the rear shouldn't be a major concern in my opinion.

6. I will give you this...the HEATED STEERING WHEEL is something I wish the RDX had, especially for up here

7. Overall, I think both vehicles are great but either are perfect....You are doing the right thing by talking to people, test driving it and listing the pros and cons. At the end, you will have to make the decision as you and your wife will make the payment If torn and split right in the middle and can't seem to decide, go with the one that feels the nicest when you are inside. You will be spending lots of time in the driver/passenger seat so it needs to visually stimulate you and make you want to spend more time in the cabin

Best of luck and keep us posted!!

BTW....ONE MAJOR thing you haven't listed (or at least I didn't see it) is the passenger height adjuster. That is the BIGGEST gripe I have about the RDX, everything else is all things that aren't as important to me....
Old 10-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Weather,

THANKS FOR THE WELCOME! I joined Acurazine about 1.5 years ago to see what owners were saying about the new RDX and checked in periodically ever since. I guess some members would call me a "lurker" but I'm just trying to garner info from what should be the most unimpeachable source - actual owners/drivers.

Your post and quite a few others contain precisely the info I am looking for.

Funny you mentioned the lowness of the passenger seat. Having read comments about that that early on, while driving to take a test drive, I actually brought it up with my wife. When we were actually doing the test drive, I asked her specifically and she didn't notice anything unusual. However, she's on the tall side, so maybe that's why.

The power adjustable passenger seat is one of the reasons we eliminated the CR-V, RAV4, and other vehicles in that class from our quest for a new vehicle. I see you phrased it as "passenger seat height adjuster." Is there something specific about the operation of that control that is a problem or just that it doesn't go high enough? I don't even recall if I sat in the passenger seat!

Here's the deal - bottom line is I like to drive on the...QUICK side, and the RDX is 1.5 seconds faster to 60 mph than the Murano. It also handles much better and should get better mileage if you drive it with that in mind.

However, it will be my wife's car, and all she cares about is the...COLOR (and she's disappointed Acura dropped the Tinted Bronze for 2014 but will settle for Graphite Gray) and that it has a smaller footprint than vehicles like the MDX/QX60. The Murano isn't much bigger but definitely FEELS bigger. The other thing is you cannot get the latest "driver warning system tech" on the Acura and since we are 60+, it wouldn't hurt to have them (can't believe I'm admitting that.)

Still not sure what I'm going to do but since the end of the month is coming up, I'd like to take advantage of that timing as a bargaining tool.

Thanks again for the welcome and your input.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by BobBass
Weather,

THANKS FOR THE WELCOME! I joined Acurazine about 1.5 years ago to see what owners were saying about the new RDX and checked in periodically ever since. I guess some members would call me a "lurker" but I'm just trying to garner info from what should be the most unimpeachable source - actual owners/drivers.

Your post and quite a few others contain precisely the info I am looking for.

Funny you mentioned the lowness of the passenger seat. Having read comments about that that early on, while driving to take a test drive, I actually brought it up with my wife. When we were actually doing the test drive, I asked her specifically and she didn't notice anything unusual. However, she's on the tall side, so maybe that's why.

The power adjustable passenger seat is one of the reasons we eliminated the CR-V, RAV4, and other vehicles in that class from our quest for a new vehicle. I see you phrased it as "passenger seat height adjuster." Is there something specific about the operation of that control that is a problem or just that it doesn't go high enough? I don't even recall if I sat in the passenger seat!

Here's the deal - bottom line is I like to drive on the...QUICK side, and the RDX is 1.5 seconds faster to 60 mph than the Murano. It also handles much better and should get better mileage if you drive it with that in mind.

However, it will be my wife's car, and all she cares about is the...COLOR (and she's disappointed Acura dropped the Tinted Bronze for 2014 but will settle for Graphite Gray) and that it has a smaller footprint than vehicles like the MDX/QX60. The Murano isn't much bigger but definitely FEELS bigger. The other thing is you cannot get the latest "driver warning system tech" on the Acura and since we are 60+, it wouldn't hurt to have them (can't believe I'm admitting that.)

Still not sure what I'm going to do but since the end of the month is coming up, I'd like to take advantage of that timing as a bargaining tool.

Thanks again for the welcome and your input.
The problem with the passenger seat height adjuster is.... that is doesn't have one. For a luxury car that is one cost cutting measure too many. How hard is that really??? I'm sure they'll put it in the MMC and say 'added passenger seating luxury height adjustment.' but it should have had it from day one. Like a cargo cover.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
I've been in and out of 2013 and 2014 RDX's since introduction, have endless clients with them, and with varied mileage.

In all of our time, we have only had 1 client mention a noise from the rear end, and he had an early 2013 FWD model. We could never fully diagnose, but he trades every year for a new color anyway. His 2013 was since resold as CPO, and never a mention from the new owner.

The ONLY item I've ever seen mentioned beyond that was a rubbing/scrunching sound in the steering wheel/column on a few 2013's also. Again, easily fixed, and rarely seen from my experience.

The navigation is actually terrific. Hard drive based, quick, clear and easy. Does it lock you out in motion now? Yes, but the voice control is simple to use with basic operation and quicker anyway. I enjoy using it more than in other vehicles, and the voice prompts are some of the easiest.

While I can understand some comparing Murano to RDX on size class/price, they are not in the same class. In the past year, we have had 7-8 2010+ newer Murano's traded in with varying mileage on RDX's. Some even just a year old, or less, including another customer today with a 2012 fully loaded AWD Murano LE/Platinum with low mileage.

He bought it after liking the look and "buttons" inside, yet quickly grew tired of the non-premium drive quality and it did not live up to his expectations day to day. As he said, looked nice, had nice buttons inside, was decently smooth, but not enjoyable to drive and the value plummeted quickly. He just traded it for a 2014 RDX AWD Tech, and while it doesn't have a few things he did before like a Panoramic roof, etc., is already thrilled with the drive, performance, and "fantastic" combination of power and mileage from the 3.5L V6 and 6-speed.

Same day, we also had a client with a 2010 Lexus RX350 fully decked out, coming off lease trade for an RDX. Right size, right package, right cost, and while not Lexus smooth or softly trimmed inside, higher performance with better mileage and lower maintenance costs by far.

For a while, we actually had so many Murano's traded on RDX's back to back, it started to look like it may be time to package them all and wholesale in a Nissan group to get rid of them. It is actually a decently smooth, nice looking, nicely sized car. Yet every single one we've ever had traded was traded early because the initial nice wore off and the owners realized it didn't have the performance, the mileage, or drive quality they hoped for. Every single one. And interestingly enough, the only buyers we have had for these pre-owned Murano's were previous Nissan owners coming out of Rogue's, etc., not other brands.

The RDX is a premium vehicle. The Nissan is an everyday crossover with a piggish V6/CVT and soft dynamics, and classically terrible Nissan/Infiniti resale due to their "buy the price not the car" new car sales methods.

If you drive them both for more than a day, there is no comparison.

Top comments my clients remark on with the RDX:
-Strong performance from the 3.5L and 6-speed
-Incredible mileage, particularly with 89+ octane (take note, the Murano 3.5L requires/recommends as well and is heavier on fuel overall)
-Sport drive, with comfortable ride
-Great space inside with sedan sized outside footprint
-All the features, mileage and comfort they want, without extra fluff

I like driving the RDX a lot, and it's size/weight/firmer suspension with the STRONG 3.5L make it a very enjoyable car, that then redeems itself with mileage and refinement on the road. No sappy CVT or droaning V6, but smooth, crisp power.

Common comparison, yet in my daily experience for quite a while now, the Murano is the vehicle you grow tired of and regret, and trade for an RDX later on. Time and time and time again. The vehicle has to work for you, along with price, features, and more. So definitely drive most.

Keep in mind too, the RDX's Lowest Cost of Ownership award. Purchase cost, fuel mileage, incredibly low maintenance costs/needs, and the best resale in the market, it all adds up and you could spend less over 5 years with an RDX than you may even buying an initially cheaper Ford/Kia/Nissan/etc. vehicle start to finish. Pretty amazing feat, and reality
Old 10-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2014 FWD bought in Mid July. I did not get the NAV so I can't comment on it. I bought the car because we live in Atlanta and the kids and grandkids live 800 miles away in Philly and NY. We wanted more comfort than our CR-Vs seats provided. As an interstate cruiser the vehicle has been superb.

I have only felt a slight VCM shudder at slower speeds but it has not really been annoying.
The rear shock chatter has been a little more annoying. Is only seems to happen on very mild bumps around town and not at speed on the highway. I am waiting to see if it gets worse before complaining. It is just the kind of thing that service advisors could easily claim not to hear or call normal.
Otherwise, the car has been excellent. The seat comfort on long trips has been superb and we have on occasion achieved 30 mpg on the highway. I think you'll be happy with it.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by beach109
The navigation is actually terrific. ... the voice control is simple to use with basic operation and quicker anyway.
Sorry, but as you can read in various locations of this forum, this is not a universally accepted truth among actual owners. It sounds like an opinion by someone who doesn't actually use the nav for anything more than giving a demo - like our salesperson did.

My real-world experience using the voice control is totally the opposite. I have to spell everything I'm searching for (i.e. restaurants), letter by letter, and then, after each letter, I need to select the correct letter by looking at the screen and making a numerical selection -by voice. It's so slow and cumbersome, we stopped using it and rely on my wife's iPhone instead.

If you can enter all destinations before you travel, it's a decent system. Trying to enter them on the fly (with the passenger unable to assist) is frustrating, to say the least.

No debate is necessary here. Anyone considering the tech package should give the nav a try. Sit in the vehicle and, using voice commands only, try to find a couple of restaurants in a town 10-20 miles away from where you are. (For fun, try "Dutch Brothers Coffee") Now imagine doing that at 70 mph.

Let us know how that works.

Last edited by davisinla; 10-27-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced

All GREAT replies and input.

DAVIS - have you figured out a way to turn of the infamous "NAV BEEP" when entering unverified areas?

BEACH109 - Your response is one of the most well-written posts I have ever seen on an automotive message board. There's a guy on the Lexus board who writes like you, "BertL." Very admirable.

I would like to ask you the same question I asked of Davis: Is there a way to turn of the infamous "NAV BEEP" when entering unverified areas? I have a feeling this would DRIVE ME NUTZ!

Dollars to donuts this "feature" is coming from the Honda legal team.

THANKS!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Instructor

DAVIS - have you figured out a way to turn of the infamous "NAV BEEP" when entering unverified areas?
I'm afraid not. Once you press the "OK", the system will beep whenever the vehicle enters an unverified area, even if the nav isn't being used or displayed. Since the database seems to be somewhat outdated, many streets (including the one I live on) fall into the "unverified" category in smaller towns.

If you don't press the OK, and the screen goes off, it will not beep in unverified areas. However then you can't used the display to access audio menus.

Stupid.

Last edited by davisinla; 10-27-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced

BEACH109,

Since you are obviously an expert on Acura, perhaps you can enlighten us on the differences between Honda and Acura engines, specifically the VCM-II subject to the HONDA class action settlement.

Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting thread...and BobBass has done his homework, kudos.

But i simply think he is overthinking this...go with thy heart. If you like speed and handling, the decision is simple.

And forget your potential issues with the NAV, its fine for what it does, just not best in class.

And CVT? Please...that is a much bigger issue than you know. Walk...no, run...no take a cab, quickly, away from any CVT equipped vehicle, especially if you savor your sanity going uphill, and your pride as a male.

My 3 cents...
Old 10-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Advanced

Stump,

I ALWAYS overthink EVERYTHING! Especially when it comes to CARS. I probably have AUTO OCD if there is such a thing.

I do like speed and handling, but this will primarily be my wife's vehicle, so it's not as big an issue. She is leaning toward the Murano because it's available in the color that Acura dropped for 2013, what Nissan calls "Tinted Bronze." We just did a quick spin thru the local Nissan dealership and it "works" for her.

The NAV thing...I can live with a clunky interface or however you want to describe what I've been reading here, but this unalterable "NAV BEEP" when entering unverified areas would bother the you-know-wot out of me.

As far as the CVT goes, it "works" great in my '08 Lexus RX400h. Sure, the way the engine revs up to a certain speed and the transmission "catches up" is uncool and certainly not what a "driver" wants to hear. On the other hand, that vehicle consistently tested out at 6.6-6.8 for 0-60 in all the mags, so it's only a half second slower than the RDX. The Murano, however, is a real slouch at 7.6.

On our test drive of the Murano, the engine "spinning up" really caught my ear in a bad way. I also recall how the Acura just took off like a normal vehicle when I put my foot down and QUICKLY at that.

I'm sitting here reading everything I can on the Murano boards. The CVT with AWD in the pre-2010s are very problematic once you get past 60K or so. Apparently Nissan is backing them up, though.

More obsession going on here...........what happened to the "hair-pulling" emoticon?
Old 10-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
BobBass....I can relate to over thinking and you are doing the smart thing, as it a huge investment. I will be honest with you, although I may be perceived as being biased having an RDX, this vehicle is really amazing!! The more you drive it, the more you appreciate its qualities and in my opinion, you will regret the Murano in the long run. I could be wrong, but I wish you could see how much I grin when I drive this vehicle, it is an Acura success story thats for sure!

Now don't pull too much hair or you'll end up like me....I wished I would have pulled the hair not found on my head instead - Technically that would then have to be called "plucking"
Old 10-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

The navigation is actually terrific. Hard drive based, quick, clear and easy. Does it lock you out in motion now? Yes, but the voice control is simple to use with basic operation and quicker anyway. I enjoy using it more than in other vehicles, and the voice prompts are some of the easiest.

Beach, The RDX is the only Acura product still on my short list. Hopefully that will change with the TLX... but.. one of the great things about my TSX is the navigation system. specifically that I can change routes, finds things etc, while in motion. I'd love to know how easy the voice commands are on the newer navs. Can you make some short YouTube videos on how to do this? Lots of owners would appreciate it.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Last few cars, in last 5 years: MDX then newer MDX, Mini Cooper, Lexus CT200h, Golf TDI, and then RDX......like the RDX best of all.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:40 PM
Advanced

You got me beat for sure - new '09 Camry hybrid 37K miles, new '08 RX400h 38K miles, "pre-owned" '09 Corvette bought 1/11 with 1,785 miles.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Beach, The RDX is the only Acura product still on my short list. Hopefully that will change with the TLX... but.. one of the great things about my TSX is the navigation system. specifically that I can change routes, finds things etc, while in motion. I'd love to know how easy the voice commands are on the newer navs. Can you make some short YouTube videos on how to do this? Lots of owners would appreciate it.
We're working on this right now. Very busy schedule in Acura land makes my days tough to get away for videos, but hopefully soon. I'm always amazed how many sales consultants clients have worked with before have no idea how to use the vehicle's tech or show them proper commands.

Soon
The following users liked this post:
Rocket_man (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Intermediate

We're working on this right now. Very busy schedule in Acura land makes my days tough to get away for videos, but hopefully soon. I'm always amazed how many sales consultants clients have worked with before have no idea how to use the vehicle's tech or show them proper commands.

Soon
While we are at it Beach, How about a fix for the Bluetooth microphone. It's really bad.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nissan Murano gets terrible gas mileage. The 20 inch rim models get 16 mpg around town. My friend was so disgusted by this he traded his in on a Chevy Tahoe. Also, all new 2015 Murano is due out and you will loose your a$$ on resale.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced

Black Raven,

I am well aware of the new Murano coming out. But, due to my bad experience with an '04 Maxima (first year of a re-design), I would not touch it until 2017 at the earliest. It took Nissan TWO YEARS to get most of the "bugs" out of that generation of Maximas and I can't imagine things have gotten any better with the design teams.

One of the good things about the 2014 Murano is that it's the last year of the second generation and hopefully Nissan has fixed all the design flaws...FAMOUS LAST WORDS!
Old 10-31-2013, 01:55 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
I don't own one, but had one as an extended use loaner and put about 1500 miles on it. It was a '14 tech. I own a TSX wagon and was contemplating another wagon or the RDX so the loaner came in quite handy. I had done no research prior to getting it (I didn't know what loaner I was going to get - I assumed a TL or TSX) so I went in without looking for specific issues.

Gregg,

Thanks for your response. That's just what I had in mind; determining how widespread these issues are.

As far as disadvantages of the Murano, some of them are implied in the list of positives about the RDX.

BTW, since I made that post, I was thinking about the VCM "shudder." I did not notice it on the short test drive. Me neither. This is the first I hear of it. I drove it city and highway.

But in any hybrid vehicle, in order to achieve better fuel economy, as the Internal Combustion Engine cycles on and off there is always a little noticeable "shudder." The more sophisticated powertrains minimize it and it doesn't bother me in my RX400h. In fact, it can be almost reassuring when you notice it and think about the gas you just saved.

If it's not a HUGE deal with the RDX, I'd think it could offer that same reassurance. Some Acurazine members are really annoyed by it, though.

I did do a comparo between them but many aspects of it are at implied in my post. Here they are in case you or anyone else is interested:

RDX
1. Slightly cheaper OTD
2. Better MPG
3. 8” hooded NAV screen but NO TOUCH input
I don't see touch as an advantage because every touch screen nav is slower. I found the nav screen nicer than in the TSX but the deal breaker was not being able to have the passenger make any changes while the car is moving. A occupancy sensor would solve the problem. Voice inputs are more of a distraction.
4. Lighter/quicker/better handling
5. Slightly smaller
6. Plenty to choose from
7. 18” wheels - tires cheaper
8. Back-up camera multi-view
9. Noise cancellation
10. Quieter engine acceleration
11. FOUR YEAR WARRANTY
12. TPMS shows ind. tire pressure. Not really an issue because you'll want to check all tires regularly anyway since the sensors only reporta loss of 25% or more.
NEGATIVES
13. VCM (variable cylinder mgt.) [Which I now wonder about]Why is this a negative?
14. Potential rear shock problem Apparently fixed now with new parts
15. Solid rear disc So?
16. 16 gal. fuel tank

MURANO
1. BI-Xenons Yes, but the HID low beam/halogen high works equally well.
2. LED tail and DRLs (opt.)
3. HD NAV TOUCHscreen plus wheel entry See my comments above. S L O W nav
4. Steering wheel position memory
5. Power Tilt/Telescopic Steering Wheel Do you change drivers frequently?
6. Rain-sensing wipers Yes. is it hard to flip the stalk down?
7. Heated REAR seats Do you often have rear seat passengers in cold weather?
8. Power-return rear seatbacks
9. HEATED STEERING WHEEL
10. Smoother ride Which is why the RDX has better handling
11. Bronze Tinted Metallics And most people hate that color
11. Blind spot warning/Lane departure warning/Moving object detection Have you used the system? Many find the lane departure warning useless or annoying.
12. Regular fuel
NEGATIVES
11. Not many 2013s left
12. Potential transfer case problem
13. Nissan dealer closer but service iffy
14. A gear in the tilt steering wheel mechanism is prone to failure
15. Lower MPG
16. Nissan batteries notorious for dying unexpectedly with no warning
17. One of the ugliest cars on the road
The nav would drive me nuts in the RDX because it doesn't just affect nav functions but also phone functions. Some posters complain that "their street isn't on the map" but virtually ALL manufacturers use NAVTEQ for maps so they are all alike.

All touch screen navs are slower than button based devices.

There are a couple of things that bug me on Nissan.

1. That funky maintenance schedule (1, 2 or "premium"). WTF is premium? Either it should be done or it shouldn't.

2. Lousy Nissan service in most places with Enterprise loaners.

Quick Reply: Considering new RDX - need owner opinions.