Considering The 2016 RDX Elite (fully loaded)? My review after 8 months ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016 | 02:33 PM
Racer

I'm happy with the 6 speed.
More speeds and the trans hunts for gears too much.
A complaint on the Lexus forum on the Lexus 8 speed.
Old 05-16-2016 | 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by colt427
I'm happy with the 6 speed.
More speeds and the trans hunts for gears too much.
A complaint on the Lexus forum on the Lexus 8 speed.
Personally, I like 7 speeds. First 3 for acceleration, 4/5/6 for cruising and 7 as a highway-only overdrive.

It has been my experience that 5 speeds are usually not enough because the car gets caught in the awkward position between 4 and 5 when crusing at normal city speeds. 6 speeds are good enough, but rarely - if ever - programmed correctly.

Theoretically, more gears should give you the ability to accelerate better and save fuel. But with shitty fuel regulations, companies are all programming these things to hold a higher gear as much as possible which results in reluctance to downshift and the knack to always be in the incorrect gear.
Old 05-17-2016 | 02:01 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by rockyboy
Please only post in this thread if your IQ is 110 or above and if you have the wisdom to use that IQ appropriately. Thank you kindly.

I'm familiar with various vehicles (from previous ownership or having friends who own such vehicles) such as the:

Acura RDX, Acura Legend, BMW 335, Audi A4, Audi Q3, Audi Q5, Mercedes ML, Mercedes E-class, Porsche Cayenne, Infiniti Q60, Lexus RX350, Lincoln MKX, Toyota Rav4, Jaguar XF, Nissan Murano, Toyota Venza, Mazda 3, Mazda 6, Honda Accord, among others.

It is from this perspective and after 8 months of ownership that I can tell you what it's like to own the 2016 Acura RDX, in practical terms:

-The RDX Elite KEY: it's very useful. When you press a button to communicate with the car (e.g. lock, or start engine), it flashes an orange LED light to tell you the signal was sent, and then it flashes a green LED light to tell you the car performed the function. That's what they mean by two way communication. They key is as good or better than any other brand's other there.

-THE COMFORT: Super comfortable leather seats, to me sitting in it feels better than a lazy boy chair and as good or better than other luxury brands including Porsche and Mercedes, etc.
Seat heat: front seats have 3 heat settings (high, medium, low). On high setting, it gets very hot quickly. Back seats have two settings (high, low). Guests in my car have commented how the heat feels so good on their back, especially in the winter.
-Ventilated seats: the front seats are ventilated with 3 settings (high, medium, low). You can hear the fans in the seat spinning, it's not too loud as to be distracting. If you turn on the A/C higher, you will feel more cool air through the seats. It felt cold even when I was wearing jeans. Very luxurious.
-Leather wrapped steering wheel: the steering wheel is not heated but it feels very nice, contours fit to your hands very well and doesn't hurt your hands even on long drives.

-THE ACCELERATION: this thing is FAST. It goes 0 to 60 mph (or roughly 0 to 100 km/h) in around 6 seconds. That makes it one of the fastest SUV's out there. I've learned the benefit of Sport mode:
When I'm going up hill, merging onto a highway, or just want to quickly pass a dangerous driver on the road, Sport mode makes the vehicle accelerate with ease. In Sport mode, the engine makes a noticeable louder roar, as it keeps the RPM's higher for longer. Paddle shifters: still don't really use this, as the automatic shifting is really good already.

-THE SAFETY: The thing I notice about this vehicle, the brakes are excellent. Along with the automatic braking system (CMBS), the strong brakes saved me from a collision more than once on the highway when the driver in front of me put the brakes on all of a sudden. The other features (AcuraWatch): I find the Lane Departure warning very useful--the lane departure warning light is not on the side mirrior like most cars; instead, it is intelligently placed inside the pillar in the car so it's not affected by mist or snow etc. on the side mirrors. If you put your turn signal on and it detects a vehicle, it will flash and the vehicle makes beeping sounds to alert you. The Lane keep assist: I use this all the time on the highway. It's really helpful on roads that curve a lot, you can really feel the car helping you to steer itself into the center of the lane. Parking sensors: very useful in tight spaces like parking garages; the sensors also detect people. Rearview camera: I put it on wide angle mode, you can see clearly and it is indeed a very wide view. Very useful. Doesn't have topdown view, which would be nice. The mirrors: the rearview and side mirrors are auto dimming. This is especially useful at night when a car is behind you, it dramatically reduces glare. The LED headlights: really light up the road. One of the best lighting systems I've seen. It really lights up road markings and signs. I've driven on rural roads with no street lights and the LED's make a huge difference in terms of visibility (the light dispersion is both bright, deep and wide).

-THE NAVIGATION/CONTROL PANEL: If your IQ is sufficiently high, you will appreciate the intelligence of the design. Gives you multiple options to perform functions (e.g. touch screen, or dial knob). Information is displayed in multiple areas--for example if you adjust the temperature, it will show in the bottom screen, the top screen, and also the screen in front of the steering wheel where the speedometer is (always forget what that's called). The GPS will display on the top screen AND and a mini version of the GPS on the center screen where the speedometer is. Acura has one of the best navigation/control panel systems that I've seen. It's very intuitive and intelligently designed (I have no idea why some reviewers say it's confusing; if you can use a smart phone or tablet, you can use this easily). The voice commands work quite well as long as you pronounce your words clearly and wait for the prompt. The number of words you can use is quite amazing.

-THE MUSIC: the ELS sound system is one of the best sound systems out there. I've been to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, the Princess of Wales theatre, the Ed Mirvish Theatre, etc... when the ELS sound system is on, it feels like you're in a theatre or symphony. Sounds better than the Lexus and Mercedes I've been in. It's quite awesome!

-LOOKS: To me, one of the best looking luxury crossovers. Balanced, aggressive lines, cool headlights, and grill is not too big as to look like a fish with its mouth open.

-Things I would like to see added to the RDX: 8 or 9 speed transmission, panoramic sunroof, heated steering wheel, heated windshield, welcome lights, heads up display, better automatic wiper system, that technology that automatically closes the door for you if you don't slam it hard enough.

-Brought vehicle in for one servicing session, was reasonably priced and they give a complementary car wash , finished maintenance on time. Really good service.

-When I see German luxury vehicles on the road like Mercedes, Audi, Porsche and BMW, I know their vehicles won't last as long and after a few years their maintenance and repair costs will hurt badly and the RDX is just as luxurious as those but for a reasonable price, more reliable, and better resale value (along with reasonable maintenance and repair costs).

If I were to buy a luxury crossover I would buy the RDX again. If you want a non-luxury crossover that's good, look at the Nissan Murano (comes standard with navigation!).

The RDX also helped me to get a girlfriend who has model good looks. Our relationship is still going strong, and she loves my car. Girls notice me more now that I drive a luxury vehicle. Before the RDX, there were girls who liked me but a larger percentage were not that attractive looking.

Hope this review helps people out there!
Great review.
I had a question about the ventilated seats. I hear a hissing sound when I have them on. I can't feel cool or hot when I put my hand under my leg ater 10 mins of driving. Feel like normal temperature. I wonder if there is something clocking the fan ? Is there a test I can do ?
Old 05-17-2016 | 02:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RDXRORO2017
Great review.
I had a question about the ventilated seats. I hear a hissing sound when I have them on. I can't feel cool or hot when I put my hand under my leg ater 10 mins of driving. Feel like normal temperature. I wonder if there is something clocking the fan ? Is there a test I can do ?
A couple things that you might be able to try. The first one, go to your dealer and try another rdx or two and see how those feel. Second, you can get a kleenex and lay it flat on the seat and turn on the ventilation, see if it moves, it should obviously blow off.
Old 05-17-2016 | 02:59 AM
Team Owner

Shit, I don't know who is worst... Donald Trump or Rockyboi.
Old 05-17-2016 | 06:14 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Sounds like a hos is disconnected.
Old 05-17-2016 | 01:09 PM
Instructor

Great review.
... I hear a hissing sound when I have them on ... ?
That's what she said

or have u check on your seals lately?

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 05-17-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2016 | 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Incredibly tough call.
Old 05-17-2016 | 01:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe it's because you don't have the wisdom to use your IQ appropriately.
Old 05-17-2016 | 01:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Have you seen both of them together ....
Old 05-17-2016 | 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Have you seen both of them together ....
Hillary clinton = rockyboy
Old 05-17-2016 | 06:50 PM
Drifting

I had a 2017 with the cooled seats and they really work well.
Old 05-17-2016 | 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I had a 2017 with the cooled seats and they really work well.
"had", did you sell it?
Old 05-17-2016 | 09:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RDX10
"had", did you sell it?
Based on his signature I am assuming he got on a loaner car.
Old 05-18-2016 | 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

To make best use of the ventilated seats, turn on the A/C, let it get a bit cold then turn on the ventilated seats. The higher the A/C and more fan power, the better the ventilated seats will work. The fan from the seat blows the cold air from the cabin through the seat.

Great review.
Old 05-18-2016 | 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
Based on his signature I am assuming he got on a loaner car.
Good call. Makes sense.
Old 05-21-2016 | 04:30 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Since we had a 6 month review and an 8 month review, I'm assuming Rockyboy will start yet another of his signature threads at 10 months. Hopefully the IQ requirement would be different then. ;D.
Old 05-21-2016 | 08:13 AM

"Only verified MENSA members may post; must include picture of membership card..."
Old 05-21-2016 | 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
Since we had a 6 month review and an 8 month review, I'm assuming Rockyboy will start yet another of his signature threads at 10 months. Hopefully the IQ requirement would be different then. ;D.
Why the double standard? Why need 110 to reply but only need 30 to start the thread?
The following users liked this post:
Curious3GTL (05-22-2016)
Old 05-21-2016 | 09:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
"Only verified MENSA members may post; must include picture of membership card..."
MENSA?? Rockyboy thought it said you had to have MENSES. I guess those 2 aren't the same
Old 05-21-2016 | 10:35 PM
Null and proud of it

[QUOTE:
Quote:
The RDX also helped me to get a girlfriend who has model good looks. Our relationship is still going strong, and she loves my car. Girls notice me more now that I drive a luxury vehicle. Before the RDX, there were girls who liked me but a larger percentage were not that attractive looking. [\QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------
He should have just left this out, this is pretty freaking irrelevant to enthusiast...

Then again, he has to pride himself on this...

One good thing about RocyBoy is that I now know a lot about the new RDX... I didn't even realize that was him until the girlfriend part...

So, thank you for that, but really, the IQ requirements to post, that was just slap in the face... It rubbed me the wrong way, no pun intended...

Here we go again...

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 05-21-2016 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Improve my quote...
Old 05-22-2016 | 04:15 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

One thing amazes me about Rockyboy. He starts off with an insulting and inflammatory post. Then he plays it cool and takes all the even hotter replies in his stride. I wonder what's his motive?
Old 05-22-2016 | 08:25 AM
Rae Ray

can't beleive OP. What a way to start a thread... I will need a rain check for my brain check because I do not know my IQ numbers. Am I automatically dumb till proven smart?... God Bless America.

Besides the openning act of your post. You provided useful insite for potential RDX owners.
Word to the wise from the (maybe) lesser wise.
Nobody likes a SMARTY pants..

Last edited by Rae Rad; 05-22-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-22-2016 | 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Comfy
One thing amazes me about Rockyboy. He starts off with an insulting and inflammatory post. Then he plays it cool and takes all the even hotter replies in his stride. I wonder what's his motive?
He's a troll. This is his schtick. He basically recites the content of the RDX promotional material, alludes that the RDX is superior to *every other* vehicle ever manufactured, and claims it makes him insatiable to women.

For any potential RDX owners that happen upon one of these dumpster fire of a post: Before you make any decisions based on this clown's ramblings, please go read his other missives to judge for yourself if you think his viewpoint may be slightly tainted. Because most of the people here that have a semblance of rational thought have figured out that this OP is a huge taint.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (05-30-2016)
Old 05-22-2016 | 09:06 AM
Racer

He's a troll. This is his schtick. He basically recites the content of the RDX promotional material, alludes that the RDX is superior to *every other* vehicle ever manufactured, and claims it makes him insatiable to women.

For any potential RDX owners that happen upon one of these dumpster fire of a post: Before you make any decisions based on this clown's ramblings, please go read his other missives to judge for yourself if you think his viewpoint may be slightly tainted. Because most of the people here that have a semblance of rational thought have figured out that this OP is a huge taint.
and he's a RDX homer.
Old 05-27-2016 | 07:41 AM
Instructor

I was thinking of getting a 2016 RDX, but rockboy convinced me to buy an NX.
Old 05-27-2016 | 07:56 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rockstar143
well the funniest part of that whole thing is he pretty clearly will not be able to read any responses or that original post when he gets to the 110 part...he should have set the bar at HIS IQ to be able to reread. But then he'd be smart. and then he could read it.
...but in that case he wouldn't have written it in the first place...
Old 05-28-2016 | 06:31 PM
Racer

Rockyboy - I, too, have found the RDX to be a car that attracts women. Although I've been married for a very long time, it seems women have found a new interest in me since getting the RDX. Hot? Absolutely - it's Florida! I am wondering if you have a towing package or if you have to use a trailer to pull the walruses? Please help.
The following 3 users liked this post by snorf:
ceb (05-29-2016), Comfy (05-30-2016), Curious3GTL (05-29-2016)
Old 05-30-2016 | 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Happy for those who found the information useful. I posted the IQ requirement (and wisdom) to prevent "trolls" and "haters" from posting. I suspect there are more than a few posters here, perhaps from competing companies or who bought more expensive vehicles that have the same or fewer features than the RDX and who now have buyers' remorse and have decided to spread misinformation about the RDX. I'm giving potential buyers an objective overview of the 2016 RDX Elite as compared to other luxury vehicles.

Originally Posted by Rae Rad
can't beleive OP. What a way to start a thread... I will need a rain check for my brain check because I do not know my IQ numbers. Am I automatically dumb till proven smart?... God Bless America.

Besides the openning act of your post. You provided useful insite for potential RDX owners.
Word to the wise from the (maybe) lesser wise.
Nobody likes a SMARTY pants..
Old 05-30-2016 | 05:51 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Happy for those who found the information useful. I posted the IQ requirement (and wisdom) to prevent "trolls" and "haters" from posting. I suspect there are more than a few posters here, perhaps from competing companies or who bought more expensive vehicles that have the same or fewer features than the RDX and who now have buyers' remorse and have decided to spread misinformation about the RDX. I'm giving potential buyers an objective overview of the 2016 RDX Elite as compared to other luxury vehicles.
Since you are a troll, a hater and have no wisdom then you shouldn't be posting here.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
colt427 (05-31-2016), Curious3GTL (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016 | 06:28 PM

It's like dividing by zero!
Old 05-30-2016 | 10:11 PM
Suzuka Master

It's like dividing by zero!
Only worse!