Cold Weather Hard Starts

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Cold Weather Hard Starts

With the cold weather upon us, has anyone noticed any rough starts with your RDX? I have noticed 2 so far. The first time the engine just kept cranking and i thought ok now what.... not like I can just take a key out to stop it from cranking with push button start. It finally stopped after about 10 seconds

The second time the start was hard and the engine barely took over. My RDX has about 450 miles on it right now

I havent had a chance to check out the battery and see the cold cranking amp rating but I have always used optima yellow top batteries with no worries. Those batteries seem to work better in cars that are technology packed like the rdx. Starting has always been solid with those batteries

Thinking about switching the oem battery out with the optima. But if I keep having hard starts im taking it to the dealer first to get checked out
Old 12-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Define cold weather. The daytime highs have averaged in the -22C (-8F) range here and I haven't experienced any hard start issues.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
With the cold weather upon us, has anyone noticed any rough starts with your RDX? I have noticed 2 so far. The first time the engine just kept cranking and i thought ok now what.... not like I can just take a key out to stop it from cranking with push button start. It finally stopped after about 10 seconds

The second time the start was hard and the engine barely took over. My RDX has about 450 miles on it right now

I havent had a chance to check out the battery and see the cold cranking amp rating but I have always used optima yellow top batteries with no worries. Those batteries seem to work better in cars that are technology packed like the rdx. Starting has always been solid with those batteries

Thinking about switching the oem battery out with the optima. But if I keep having hard starts im taking it to the dealer first to get checked out
Does the battery not turn the motor over fast enough? If it's turning over just as fast as before it obviously has nothing to do with your battery. It's probably an electronic or fuel error. Have your dealer look into it.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
If you look all over acurazine (regardless of model), you will find people complaining about the stock batteries. They must suck from the factory or they discharge very quickly during transport.

The good news is the battery is covered for 4years---go see your dealer.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
Define cold weather. The daytime highs have averaged in the -22C (-8F) range here and I haven't experienced any hard start issues.
25-35F

Originally Posted by geocord
Does the battery not turn the motor over fast enough? If it's turning over just as fast as before it obviously has nothing to do with your battery. It's probably an electronic or fuel error. Have your dealer look into it.
well i purchased the car when the weather was between 60-70F degrees and the starts were pretty solid, crank time was quick and turnover was solid. Now that the weather has gone below 35 degrees along with a couple days of rain, starting has not been as solid as it was before. Crank time is actually a little longer and one instance the car did not start at all. Almost seemed like there wasnt enough juice to turn over. I waited a little bit, and the car started the second time. I had the car for almost 2 weeks now

Originally Posted by musty hustla
If you look all over acurazine (regardless of model), you will find people complaining about the stock batteries. They must suck from the factory or they discharge very quickly during transport.

The good news is the battery is covered for 4years---go see your dealer.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CCA is 540 I believe
Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
If you are having battery problems with a new (or newer) vehicle it could be a defective battery or it may be an improperly done vehicle preparation from your dealerships servicing technician. See what they are supposed to be doing below. Are the battery codes entered under the hood and in your maintenance book?

Check the Battery
To ensure long battery life and that the client receives a
fully charged battery, the battery must be checked in
these instances:
• When the vehicle first arrives at the dealership
• During the TQI (if done at a later time)
• During regular intervals
• Just before delivering the vehicle to the client
Test the battery with the ED-18 battery tester, using the
instructions in Service Bulletin 88-016,
Battery Testing
and Replacement
. If the ED-18 tester results display

GR8 DIAGNOSTIC NEEDED
, you must properly
charge the battery using the GR8 Battery Diagnostic
Station.
Write down the
GOOD BATTERY 10-digit code in the
maintenance journal: During the TQI, write down the
code in the “Under Hood (Engine Cold)” section, and
then when the vehicle is delivered to the client, write

down the code in the “Final Inspection (At Delivery)”
section.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer

25-35F

Wow, 25-35F isn't cold at all. Your battery probably isn't an issue - since it's turning the starter just fine. I'd recommend taking the RDX to your dealer a.s.a.p. - to diagnose tuning, electronic ignition, fuel injection issues.

In my local temps under 20F, I've had no starting problems.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Though not as cold as some of your area, I have no problem starting it @29-32 degree in DC/MD/VA area.