Buying a new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014 | 03:04 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Buying a new SUV

Hi guys,
I just joined this forum for some help in deciding on my next purchase. It will be an SUV for my wife. We are considering premium but not yet decided on anything. Will consider RDX, X3, Q5, etc. I would like AWD and full technology gizmos if possible. Ride comfort is a priority for us rather than outright performance. Would like to know what are your thoughts. We are in the very preliminary stage is decision making and so haven't test driven anything yet. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2014 | 03:28 PM
Instructor

There's a wealth of information on this forum. Take the time to check the various comparison threads.
Old 04-04-2014 | 03:50 PM
Instructor

I think you'll find that the RDX falls at the lower-end of being equipped with "technological gizmos." (Then again, it probably will fall into the low end of pricing as well, especially compared to the other models you mentioned.)

But no matter what features you decide are "musts", I suggest that you and your wife spend as much time as possible driving all of your finalists. I set out to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee one day, and came home with the RDX. The way it rode and handled sealed the deal for me.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2014 | 03:54 PM
Advanced

Well, my husband and I were talking about our RDX yesterday and whether or not we'd get another when our lease runs out in 2 years. The RDX is a nice vehicle and it has many good features for it's price, but I have to tell you to carefully evaluate the passenger seat. It is set way too low in the car for some reason, many have complained about this and it's height is not adjustable. Probably not a deal killer, but it's certainly something that we mentioned as a big minus in the current RDX. We hope they have the fully adjustable passenger seat in the future, the current positioning is a big annoyance to us.

As mentioned above, many opinions on this forum from smart people. Take a little time to read thru the posts.

Last edited by Texdriver; 04-04-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2014 | 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

comfy...Welcome to the site and thanks for instilling your trust in us....it's an important decision and its nice to see people that take the time to do their homework. You have highlighted some great choices and I think that any one you go with will be a great choice.

The RDX's strength is the value for the money and its reliability. The Acura is not the most feature loaded SUV but for what it has, its the best price. Its engine is amazing and so is its transmission. The interior is very comfortable and well appointed and certainly enjoyable to spend some time in. I have a 2013 AWD Tech and it's great. Again, not the most feature loaded SUV but decent nonetheless....

Where the RDX has a problem is with its rear suspension. If you live in a cold climate, the rear shocks will drive you bonkers because of the poorly designed Reactive Dampers that sound like the shocks are bottoming out...This is also affecting the ILX. Apparently Acura and Sachs are working on a fix but I am not holding much hope until a fix is announced. The other weakness in the RDX is the lack of the passenger seat height adjustment....and its quite low from the factory so be aware of that if you go for a test drive.

Overall, the drive of the RDX is quite nice....its comfy yet agile. At first, you will find the steering a bit loose but trust me, you will get to appreciate its driving dynamics and precise handling. It is also a decently quiet vehicle.

I was looking at the same vehicles you listed and ended up with the RDX.

I found the Q5 a bit too small and pricy but the funnest to drive. The X3 is quite the looker and fun to drive too but its interior a bit bland and the price and reliability is its downfall.

If you have any specific questions...please feel free to ask away and keep us posted....please. Nothing more frustrating than helping people and they take your information, make a decision and never bother keeping the people, that helped them, informed.

Last edited by weather; 04-04-2014 at 04:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bvogel7475 (05-05-2014)
Old 04-04-2014 | 04:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Texdriver
Well, my husband and I were talking about our RDX yesterday and whether or not we'd get another when our lease runs out in 2 years. The RDX is a nice vehicle and it has many good features for it's price, but I have to tell you to carefully evaluate the passenger seat. It is set way too low in the car for some reason, many have complained about this and it's height is not adjustable. Probably not a deal killer, but it's certainly something that we mentioned as a big minus in the current RDX. We hope they have the fully adjustable passenger seat in the future, the current positioning is a big annoyance to us.

As mentioned above, many opinions on this forum from smart people. Take a little time to read thru the posts.
I know it's the same control but for me, it's more the tilt missing than the height adjustment. I don't like having a flat seat base and prefer a slightly elevated one behind my knees.
Old 04-05-2014 | 06:00 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Thanks everyone (and weather about your detailed thoughts).
About the passenger seat height you guys mentioned (The front passenger…right?) , it could be minor problem as my wife is vertically challenged so to say. I think that's part of her reason for preferring an SUV as the increased ride height gives her a better view. Now she may be driving most of the time alone but when we are together it be me who'll be doing most of the driving and she will have to endure the passenger seat issue (in case it really is a problem). So I assume the memory seat function is only available for the driver…correct?
I had a look at the Acura website and the thing which I like about them is that everything you need is neatly packaged into one technology package, and that's it. It takes a great deal of stress out of decision making and price negotiations.
While I can custom make other brands all the way I like; in the end when I go to a dealer, it all depends on what they have on the lot (which will get the most deals) and also I'll be test driving a few cars and eventually get confused about which car has what features. Unless of course I custom order a car to be built and wait a few months.
Again we are at a very early stage of decision making and having good knowledge of what to expect while taking a test drive helps a lot as otherwise I can easily get swayed by the look and smell of a new car
Thanks for helping out, and I'll keep you guys (and girls) updated on any progress I may have. Cheers.
Old 04-05-2014 | 07:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Comfy
Thanks everyone (and weather about your detailed thoughts).
About the passenger seat height you guys mentioned (The front passenger…right?) , it could be minor problem as my wife is vertically challenged so to say. I think that's part of her reason for preferring an SUV as the increased ride height gives her a better view. Now she may be driving most of the time alone but when we are together it be me who'll be doing most of the driving and she will have to endure the passenger seat issue (in case it really is a problem). So I assume the memory seat function is only available for the driver…correct?
I had a look at the Acura website and the thing which I like about them is that everything you need is neatly packaged into one technology package, and that's it. It takes a great deal of stress out of decision making and price negotiations.
While I can custom make other brands all the way I like; in the end when I go to a dealer, it all depends on what they have on the lot (which will get the most deals) and also I'll be test driving a few cars and eventually get confused about which car has what features. Unless of course I custom order a car to be built and wait a few months.
Again we are at a very early stage of decision making and having good knowledge of what to expect while taking a test drive helps a lot as otherwise I can easily get swayed by the look and smell of a new car
Thanks for helping out, and I'll keep you guys (and girls) updated on any progress I may have. Cheers.
yes, the right front passenger seat in the 2013-2014 RDX even in the top of the line $40k tech package has no height adjustment. The seat does sit slightly low, a little annoying but not a total deal breaker, esp if you are tall, LOL!
Old 04-05-2014 | 07:37 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ No problem "comfy"....glad to help. If your wife is "vertically challenged", the passenger seat will likely be an issue as the belt line is quite high and limits the outward visibility. My g/f is also not super high but it worked out really good for me as my g/f is super ugly so I don't want people to see me with her and the high belt line solves that problem. *LMAO*

JUST KIDDING GUYS....I love my G/F more than anything in the world and quite honestly, its the other way around....she is WAY TOO GOOD LOOKING for me. I am the lucky one
Old 04-06-2014 | 04:34 PM
Intermediate

Depending on your priorities, different vehicles are going to rise to the top. Your desired ride/handling characteristics, desired interior, level of desired tech, desired interior room and budget will all play a part in what the "ideal" choice is for you. You might also do research on all of these, drive them and find that one you thought was not on the list ends up winning out.

I am really hesitant about the nav on the RDX, other than that, it has everything I'd want, is the right size, etc. In addition to the Q5, X3 and RX 350, you might want to consider the upcoming Lincoln MKC (its a luxury ford escape, but it has a ton of features and should handle well) and Lexus NX 200t (no idea when it will be released, the production model is being shown off in 2 weeks), hard to say what it will end up like, but my assumption is it will be Rav4 sized with more power and typical lexus interior.
Old 04-06-2014 | 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Good suggestion about the new Lincoln....I saw in person at the auto show in January and it looked great. I am a little unsure about the lack of gear shifter and that center console but otherwise, a great looking SUV for sure.
Old 04-06-2014 | 05:07 PM
Pro

I think I would re-consider two of our past vehicles...the Volvo XC60 and Lexus RX...depending on the combination of features we wanted. We have a bit over a year before our lease is up...wonder what we will do????? Not needing AWD will make our search a little different.

Comfy, if you are buying, consider take a 'free' trip to Sweden to pick up your new custom-built Volvo, drive it around Europe a bit and bring home some memories! We missed the chance last time...might go for it in '15 or '16
Old 04-06-2014 | 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Good suggestion about the new Lincoln....I saw in person at the auto show in January and it looked great. I am a little unsure about the lack of gear shifter and that center console but otherwise, a great looking SUV for sure.
Hey weather, how are things out east? hopefully you have dug yourself out by now lol!
Just thought I'd chime in on the Lincoln which as mentioned is based on the Escape platform which is based on the Focus platform.
The Focus (I had a 2012 for 11 months, what a p.o.s. it was) and the Escape are plagued with suspension issues, rattles, poor fitment, engine oil leaks, coolant leaks etc.
I was interested in an Escape before I bought the RDX. Thankfully Ford didn't want to play ball for trade-in value but Acura did.
I thank the Ford finance manager every time I drive my RDX.
h-f
Old 04-07-2014 | 05:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Hi guys,
I just joined this forum for some help in deciding on my next purchase. It will be an SUV for my wife. We are considering premium but not yet decided on anything. Will consider RDX, X3, Q5, etc. I would like AWD and full technology gizmos if possible. Ride comfort is a priority for us rather than outright performance. Would like to know what are your thoughts. We are in the very preliminary stage is decision making and so haven't test driven anything yet. Thanks.
You need to test drive your choices, everyone's has their own opinion on ride and comfort. Acura tends to offer a firm yet compliant ride that many may feel is stiff. The RDX is a fairly conservative car and does not have a large amount of technology compared to what is available today. While the current RDX was released in mid 2012 as a 2013 it's tech and head unit are based on Acura's last gen head unit thus it is lacking some features you can get even in a current Accord. Also the RDX is aimed directly at the value no frills segment and has been very successful as they are selling them art an incredible pace. If reliability is a factor I feel safe in saying the RDX will blow away the X3 and Q3 in reliability and cost of ownership. The RDX performs very well and the V6 is more than adequate to move the vehicle in spirited driving, while still returning respectable MPG.
Old 04-07-2014 | 07:52 AM
Make it #7!

Drive whatever you think you might like, then decide. Nothing like hands on to help in the decision process.
Old 04-07-2014 | 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

hand-filer...Hey stranger from out west *waiving hello* Yes, we finally dug ourselves out and we got a decent today!! Oh the difference.... Now lots of rain on the for tomorrow and I think there will lots of flooding this year in some localities.

I knew that the Lincoln was based on the Escape but wasn't aware it was plagued with suspension problems....good to know! I guess this new Lincoln's beauty may only be skin deep. Thanks for sharing so that "comfy" had solid information and delighted that your Ford's finance guy saved the day for you (lol) As a token of appreciation, you should send him a pair of old Sach's reactive damper
Old 04-07-2014 | 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
hand-filer...Hey stranger from out west *waiving hello* Yes, we finally dug ourselves out and we got a decent today!! Oh the difference.... Now lots of rain on the for tomorrow and I think there will lots of flooding this year in some localities.

I knew that the Lincoln was based on the Escape but wasn't aware it was plagued with suspension problems....good to know! I guess this new Lincoln's beauty may only be skin deep. Thanks for sharing so that "comfy" had solid information and delighted that your Ford's finance guy saved the day for you (lol) As a token of appreciation, you should send him a pair of old Sach's reactive damper
LOL, actually I plan on sending them back to Acura along with an invoice for engineering services rendered.
Old 04-07-2014 | 09:37 PM
Advanced

Hi guys, I am also in the market for a replacement SUV for my CR-V ExL which is now 7 years and 179k miles with no breakdown at all. I am hoping the Honda stable in the Acura range is of as good quality as my previous Accord, Odyssey, and CRV. My wife has a 2013 350 RX Lexus so I have had some experience buying and using that vehicle as well. Some of things in the Lexus I do not like are:
1. Service interval is every 5k, compared to my CRV which has a maintenance minder and would often go above 10k between services. What is the maintenance system in the Acura RDX/MDX?
2. I did not like that most Lexus vehicles have extra add on's that one may never need. I liked that Acura's are sold in very few configurations and one can add on what ever we want, and it might be easier to negotiate the price.
3. I am a bit concerned that the recommended gas is high octane. Can I use 89 Octane on the RDX or MDX? Will that void the warranty?
4. My ideal Acura SUV would have been the AWD RDX with the Advance features of the MDX. I drive long distances for my consulting and risk dozing off and the collision avoidance for lane departure and stationary or slowing vehicle are very attractive to me.
Any advice from people who are long time users of Acura vehicles and may have used Honda/Lexus. We are just two of us, no kids at home and no towing needs.
thanks!
Old 04-08-2014 | 06:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by upnorth85
3. I am a bit concerned that the recommended gas is high octane. Can I use 89 Octane on the RDX or MDX? Will that void the warranty?
When you read the manual and you will see it is RECOMMENDED not REQUIRED so you can use 89. The gf uses 89 as a good middle ground as she never leans into the pedal. The Premium will com into play when the engine is under load and depending on temperature, humidity etc will determine the impact.
upnorth85 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014 | 10:26 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Gosh.... I was thinking of adding the Lincoln to my list. Is it that bad. I know American cars aren't too good on reliabity. Thanks anyway.
Old 04-08-2014 | 10:31 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by CoachRick
I think I would re-consider two of our past vehicles...the Volvo XC60 and Lexus RX...depending on the combination of features we wanted. We have a bit over a year before our lease is up...wonder what we will do????? Not needing AWD will make our search a little different.

Comfy, if you are buying, consider take a 'free' trip to Sweden to pick up your new custom-built Volvo, drive it around Europe a bit and bring home some memories! We missed the chance last time...might go for it in '15 or '16
I will check out the Volvo as well. What's up with the free trip to Europe? Once I get it delivered in Europe, then what? How will I get it back to US? And if the car is made for US specifications, how can I legally drive it in Europe?
Old 04-08-2014 | 10:53 AM
Pro

I will check out the Volvo as well. What's up with the free trip to Europe? Once I get it delivered in Europe, then what? How will I get it back to US? And if the car is made for US specifications, how can I legally drive it in Europe?
Not like the old days of multiple standards for Europe vs US...the vehicles are good to go in darned near any country! Volvo will fly you and another to Sweden, put you up for the night in a nice hotel, tour the factory with you, deliver your vehicle with all necessary papers and insurance for you to drive all over the place and THEN, at no extra charge, will let you drop the vehicle off at any of a dozen or so points throughout Europe and ship your vehicle to your dealer for final PDI and off you go! You can configure your vehicle with all sorts of stand-alone options rather than buying packages and there is a modest discount off the price of the total package. You will be without your vehicle for a few weeks during shipping; but the SwedeSpeed board has scores of folks who wouldn't buy a vehicle any other way! Some have flown over for a day, others have made a three-week driving vacation all over!

I blew the chance for my last 'zero' birthday(when we got the RDX); but will seriously consider OSD(overseas delivery) for our next vehicle.

I guess Acura could offer something similar; but I don't find Ohio quite as attractive as Sweden.
Old 04-08-2014 | 11:27 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

That seems like a nice vacation idea.
Old 04-08-2014 | 11:56 AM
Pro

That seems like a nice vacation idea.
Yes, indeed. For me, there are a number of classic tennis racket collectors scattered about Europe and they've all extended invitations to have me visit and view their collections(and maybe hit a few balls and enjoy some local refreshments ). Crazy to think I might do it; but who knows?

I think Volvo's travel folks will help arrange the time in Europe as well. The US based folks who handle the OSD regularly have a wealth of knowledge about the travel opportunities.
Old 04-08-2014 | 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoesByFish
Depending on your priorities, different vehicles are going to rise to the top. Your desired ride/handling characteristics, desired interior, level of desired tech, desired interior room and budget will all play a part in what the "ideal" choice is for you. You might also do research on all of these, drive them and find that one you thought was not on the list ends up winning out.

I am really hesitant about the nav on the RDX, other than that, it has everything I'd want, is the right size, etc. In addition to the Q5, X3 and RX 350, you might want to consider the upcoming Lincoln MKC (its a luxury ford escape, but it has a ton of features and should handle well) and Lexus NX 200t (no idea when it will be released, the production model is being shown off in 2 weeks), hard to say what it will end up like, but my assumption is it will be Rav4 sized with more power and typical lexus interior.
The MKC has me thinking. All the features it has, interior quality similar to the RDX (from pictures), ecoboost 2.3T good for 290HP, different driving modes, BLIS, LED front and rear, Lincoln touch, 19" sport wheels. Only things I dont like now (current perspective): price (FULLY loaded AWD with the 2.3 ecoboost $46K), the way the hatch opens, front grille and gear buttons

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 04-08-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2014 | 06:44 PM
Advanced

If I were considering an RDX-type CUV these days, and I could afford to wait to drive the MKC, I would definitely wait to check it out. I'd also want to see the upcoming Lexus.
Old 04-08-2014 | 06:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Gosh.... I was thinking of adding the Lincoln to my list. Is it that bad. I know American cars aren't too good on reliability. Thanks anyway.
I don't know if its going to be a good car or a bad one. I based my opinion on a disastrous experience with the Focus and the multitude of horror stories by Focus and Escape owners on the forums.
I think Ford does certain products (Mustang, F series trucks) very well but I won't give them any further consideration.

Last edited by hand-filer; 04-08-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2014 | 08:51 PM
Instructor

Did you know that ford owns mazda, weird...
Old 04-08-2014 | 09:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by banana13
Did you know that ford owns mazda, weird...
Unless something happened very recently, Ford has a very small portion of Mazda.
Old 04-09-2014 | 09:58 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by CoachRick
Unless something happened very recently, Ford has a very small portion of Mazda.
I think they sold that small portion as well, but I'm not sure.

I showed the pictures of Lincoln MKC to my wife and she thinks it's definitely worth a look. But may not prefer paying so much (fully optioned) compared to paying for RDX. Any idea when it will be with the dealers for a test drive?
Yes I can afford to wait sometime. Cheers.
Old 05-04-2014 | 10:30 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Showed some pictures to my wife. The Lexus NX has been added to the shopping list (?top) for now and MKC has been moved to the bottom.
Old 05-05-2014 | 11:39 AM
Intermediate

Hi Comfy, The other members are making great points. Please also consider that you will probably have the most leeway when it comes to price negotiation with the Acura. If you are patient you should be able to reduce the purchase price about $3-$4K from the sticker. Using the internet and some dealer visits, I was able to negotiate $4,500 off the sticker price on a 2013 Graphite Metallic Luster colored RDX, FWD with the Technology package. I have a few friends who have purchased the Q5 and the most any of them could negotiate off the sticker price was $1,500. Also, I recommend that you contact Costco to get their member pricing and using that as a starting point for any negotiation. Good luck.
Comfy (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014 | 08:20 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Thanks bvogel, You did get an awesome deal. We are planning to test drive the RDX soon. I'm not a member of Costco, so that's out. Will see what's on the table first.
Now I would like to know what are the actual differences between the 2014 and 2015 models (if any). Is it worth sticking out for the 2015 model?

Last edited by Comfy; 05-15-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2014 | 07:47 AM
Instructor

Is it worth sticking out for the 2015 model?
Short answer: No.

Per Edmunds there is no change. There may some incredibly small behind-the-scenes updates but you're better off finding a left over '14 than a new '15. Especially as the '14 isn't the first production year of this model. But if you mean waiting for your local dealer to get the '15's on the lot, yes, you should wait so they are more aggressive about dumping the old inventory.
Old 05-16-2014 | 08:23 AM
Racer

Thanks bvogel, You did get an awesome deal. We are planning to test drive the RDX soon. I'm not a member of Costco, so that's out. Will see what's on the table first.
Now I would like to know what are the actual differences between the 2014 and 2015 models (if any). Is it worth sticking out for the 2015 model?
Costco membership is like $55 a year and can save you a couple of thousand with a non-negotiated fair price for your vehicle. If you are a AAA member they have a similar setup. Also, check your company's benefits site since they may subscribe to TrueCar or a service like it.

The pricing for Acura is typically in the range of at Invoice to Invoice plus $500. For the TL's or ILX's you can probably get them below invoice (as that was the deal when I looked on the costco site last year).
Old 05-16-2014 | 09:36 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Well, I do not have any costco nearby or within reasonable distance, but I understand the financial incentive part. I will check our company benefits. Now how will I know what's the invoice price of RDX AWD with tech at the dealer? Will they disclose that price?
Old 05-16-2014 | 10:30 AM
Pro

Just go on to any of these web sites and price out your new car.

NADA.com
KBB.com
Edmunds.com
Old 05-16-2014 | 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rosen39
Just go on to any of these web sites and price out your new car.

NADA.com
KBB.com
Edmunds.com
Also check truecar.com. Note that even within Texas, the prices in the 4 major cities were different by up to $2k ...
Old 05-17-2014 | 01:37 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

We just test drove AWD tech RDX 2014 and really liked it on all counts. The dealer is offering 38k as final price. Shall I take it? Those websites also mention around 38 k as invoice price... There isn't any other dealer nearby for us to negotiate.
Please opine. Thanks.

Last edited by Comfy; 05-17-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2014 | 02:39 PM
Pro

We just test drove AWD tech RDX 2014 and really liked it on all counts. The dealer is offering 38k as final price. Shall I take it? Those websites also mention around 38 k as invoice price... There isn't any other dealer nearby for us to negotiate.
Please opine. Thanks.
What does that $38K include? Taxes, destination, any options?
If it's just the vehicle, that doesn't sound like invoice OR a deal to me. Need to know the absolute bottom line number.

Quick Reply: Buying a new SUV