Brand new 2017 RDX - rough shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017 | 08:52 PM
Cruisin'

Brand new 2017 RDX - rough shifts?

My wife has about 350 miles on her new 2017 RDX. When I rode with her, I thought she was just being twitchy. But when I was finally granted access to the driver's seat I felt that way too. It seems like the transmission wants to hesitate on some shifts. It's especially noticeable on coasting downshifts, or accelerating from a coast.

We'll take it back to have it looked at, but does this ring a bell with anyone? There is a TSB for torque converter lockup, but they are blaming transmission fluid deterioration from heat. Unlikely this has happened driving off the lot.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2017 | 08:30 AM
Pro

Yep - I am not a big fan of the transmission. I like that it isn't a CVT, but it is certainly not the smoothest one around. As the fluid change interval is only 30k it makes me wonder what the problem is. Very atypical interval these days and it was modified from original.
Old 08-11-2017 | 08:33 AM

^talking about honda here....with tranny troubles starting in 2000 to almost 2008...most likely covering their butts by early and regular transmission fluid changes.
Old 08-11-2017 | 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
^talking about honda here....with tranny troubles starting in 2000 to almost 2008...most likely covering their butts by early and regular transmission fluid changes.
Old 08-11-2017 | 01:33 PM
Advanced

our 2017 RDX shifts like buddaa....
Old 08-11-2017 | 04:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by srpuywa
our 2017 RDX shifts like buddaa....
So you don't have the rough/harsh downshifts when slowing down (or "coasting" as the OP said) at times?
Old 08-11-2017 | 05:22 PM
Advanced

nope - only downshifts I notice is when I use the paddles - it's my wife's car so I only drive it on the weekends

it's a 17 base with 7800 miles on it
Old 08-12-2017 | 11:05 AM
Racer

I don't have any rough shifts, but at low speeds when shifting I usually hear slight "clunking sound" and feel it in the gas pedal.
Old 08-14-2017 | 12:04 PM
Instructor

I have a 2013 certified pre-owned RDX that I just purchased last week. I believe we have similar engines and transmissions? I too noticed that the transmission just isn't as smooth as I had hoped for which I found strange. I saw the TSB for this as well. In my situation, I typically notice it while I'm accelerating somewhat fast, for example merging onto the freeway. Not so much if I'm just driving regular, say, accelerating from a stop at a red light on normal streets. I know it's not me because I can see the RPM's hesitate a bit usually in between 2nd to 3rd and/or 3rd to 4th. The RPM needle steadily climbs during acceleration and then does a small hiccup during the climb and this is not during the shift. Again, like I said, it's in between gears. That's the best way I can describe it.

Interestingly enough I don't feel it in sport mode using the paddle shifters. That's buttery smooth. The mechanic I took for a ride said he's familiar with this and has worked on this before and he was most likely going to just follow the TSB by flushing the ATF and updating the software. I hope this fixes it. He said the reason I don't feel it when using the paddle shifters is because it's manual. The shifting done in drive mode is by the computer, which I guess makes sense.

It's been in the shop since Saturday and I got a loaner. I'll check back in and let you know what happens. The only reason I don't have it back yet is because they're also looking into that pop/clunk sound from my suspension I've been hearing while driving on rough roads at slow speeds. There's a TSB for this too but it actually said its during cold weather, but that's not the case with mine. Happens at all temps.
Old 08-14-2017 | 04:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by t0md0
I have a 2013 certified pre-owned RDX that I just purchased last week. I believe we have similar engines and transmissions? I too noticed that the transmission just isn't as smooth as I had hoped for which I found strange. I saw the TSB for this as well. In my situation, I typically notice it while I'm accelerating somewhat fast, for example merging onto the freeway. Not so much if I'm just driving regular, say, accelerating from a stop at a red light on normal streets. I know it's not me because I can see the RPM's hesitate a bit usually in between 2nd to 3rd and/or 3rd to 4th. The RPM needle steadily climbs during acceleration and then does a small hiccup during the climb and this is not during the shift. Again, like I said, it's in between gears. That's the best way I can describe it.

Interestingly enough I don't feel it in sport mode using the paddle shifters. That's buttery smooth. The mechanic I took for a ride said he's familiar with this and has worked on this before and he was most likely going to just follow the TSB by flushing the ATF and updating the software. I hope this fixes it. He said the reason I don't feel it when using the paddle shifters is because it's manual. The shifting done in drive mode is by the computer, which I guess makes sense.

It's been in the shop since Saturday and I got a loaner. I'll check back in and let you know what happens. The only reason I don't have it back yet is because they're also looking into that pop/clunk sound from my suspension I've been hearing while driving on rough roads at slow speeds. There's a TSB for this too but it actually said its during cold weather, but that's not the case with mine. Happens at all temps.
I suspect you will find little relief on the transmission issues. The clunk is an easy fix with the softer rear suspension bushings. They will tell you cold weather, but it is needed for all RDX's IMHO. I am in GA so certainly not a cold weather state.
Old 08-14-2017 | 04:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chickdr
I suspect you will find little relief on the transmission issues. The clunk is an easy fix with the softer rear suspension bushings. They will tell you cold weather, but it is needed for all RDX's IMHO. I am in GA so certainly not a cold weather state.
Damn. That was definitely not something I wanted to hear. Have you had a similar experience with your car as well? That same judder/hesitation while accelerating? And did you also have this servied with the TSB with no luck? This really saddens me. What's up with Honda transmissions?! My wife and a few others I've heard about, in respect to V6 Honda's, always seem to have some issue.
Old 08-14-2017 | 07:08 PM
Drifting

Damn. That was definitely not something I wanted to hear. Have you had a similar experience with your car as well? That same judder/hesitation while accelerating? And did you also have this servied with the TSB with no luck? This really saddens me. What's up with Honda transmissions?! My wife and a few others I've heard about, in respect to V6 Honda's, always seem to have some issue.
My Wife has a 2014 and I have a 2017. I have not had any issues with our Tranny's. They are both smooth. I did have a 2002 TL that had 4 tranny's replaced. That nearly put me off Hondas.
Old 08-15-2017 | 12:48 PM
Instructor

Quick Update..

So I received a call from Acura. They said the have performed the TSB on my transmission. No word on if it actually remedied the judder/hesitation. I asked if the mechanic was able to test drive it yet but the service advisor was not sure. I think they'll do a full test drive once they're completely done. They are still working on the popping/clunk from the rear right suspension. Turns out it wasn't the "hard bushings" from the TSB due to cold weather but it was the actual shock absorber making the noise according to them. What really makes me mad is that when I asked if they'll be replacing both rears, he said unfortunately since it was a warranty service, they can only replace that one.

In my experience, which isn't much I'll have to admit, when you replace shocks or struts, shouldn't you do them in pairs? I guess I can't complain since it's being done for free and I get to drive the crap out of the ILX but I digress. I suppose I can always have them replace the other side once that breaks down. Speaking of which, that 201hp engine mated to that 8 speed tranny is pretty sweet. 7k rpm. That engine just loves to rev. Lol.
Old 08-15-2017 | 07:14 PM
TX-RDX Owner

have a 2013 with 57K miles. It is butter smooth some days, and more noticeable others. I guess I have gotten used to it over the years.
Old 08-19-2017 | 04:06 PM
Instructor

So I'm relieved to say I'm glad you were completely wrong. Phewwww... Got the car back and after the tech did the TSB, the tranny has been shifting as smooth as I had hoped. So for anyone experiencing rough shifts or judder from the tranny, do yourself a favor and just take it in. The sooner the better, especially if you're still under warranty.
Old 08-19-2017 | 04:09 PM
Instructor

OH and I forgot to mention, the tech also replaced the front right and rear right shocks and that remedied the pop/clunk noise I've heard. I know this is off topic but just thought I'd give you guys an update. I'm super relieved to say the least. The car drives like I'm on clouds now.
Old 08-20-2017 | 10:12 PM
Pro

So I'm relieved to say I'm glad you were completely wrong. Phewwww... Got the car back and after the tech did the TSB, the tranny has been shifting as smooth as I had hoped. So for anyone experiencing rough shifts or judder from the tranny, do yourself a favor and just take it in. The sooner the better, especially if you're still under warranty.
I am glad it worked for you. It most certainly did nothing for mine.
Old 08-20-2017 | 10:48 PM
Instructor

To be completely honest..

I'm still a bit disappointed in the shifting of the transmission in this car. I will say the TSB has remedied the initial issue of judder.. However, with that being said, the gear shifting from gear to gear is pretty pronounced and not as smooth as even my 2005 Mazda 6. Go figure. The idea behind an automatic is to not feel the shifts. At least that's opinion. When I had the loaner of the new ILX, each gear shift was barely notice

Maybe I'm still new to SUVs and the way they drive.. but I don't think I'm crazy.. the shifts just aren't as smooth. When I say "smooth" I don't mean it jerks.. I just simply mean you feel the shifts (from 1-3).
Old 08-23-2017 | 03:11 PM
Pro

I'm still a bit disappointed in the shifting of the transmission in this car. I will say the TSB has remedied the initial issue of judder.. However, with that being said, the gear shifting from gear to gear is pretty pronounced and not as smooth as even my 2005 Mazda 6. Go figure. The idea behind an automatic is to not feel the shifts. At least that's opinion. When I had the loaner of the new ILX, each gear shift was barely notice

Maybe I'm still new to SUVs and the way they drive.. but I don't think I'm crazy.. the shifts just aren't as smooth. When I say "smooth" I don't mean it jerks.. I just simply mean you feel the shifts (from 1-3).
You are not crazy. My 2011 Tacoma base 2.7 with a 4-sp auto is smoother shifting than my RDX.... Overall, the RDX is a much smoother ride, but the transmission is not up to par IMHO. I am hoping the new 10-sp will be smoother.
Old 08-23-2017 | 03:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chickdr
You are not crazy. My 2011 Tacoma base 2.7 with a 4-sp auto is smoother shifting than my RDX.... Overall, the RDX is a much smoother ride, but the transmission is not up to par IMHO. I am hoping the new 10-sp will be smoother.
It's actually funny cause I test drove another RDX on another lot before I settled on my 2013 RDX and that other one (a 2014) also had noticeable gear shifts in automatic mode. I do notice that when in Sport Mode or using the paddle shifters it's super smooth.

I would love to hear about others experience as far as actual gear shifting goes in Automatic Mode. Shifting to gears 4, 5, and 6 are pretty smooth though.