Brand new 2013 RDX with Tech Pkg

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Brand new 2013 RDX with Tech Pkg

Hi
I just bought a new 2013 RDX with Tech Pkg from Rick Case Acura (South FL). I can say that I am very satisfied with the deal I got from them and more than that on how this car drives and its features. This dealer adds 4 more years to the standard powertrain warranty which extends it to 10 years or 100k miles (nationwide) [They told me that nobody else in the USA does that. Would like to confirm; Is that really true?] plus some other features that are not that useful to me (free car wash for life, discounted fuel, etc) because of the driving distance involved; The 10y/100k was very important to me (planning to own it for 6+ years) and was the main reason that made me take the trip from where I live plus also the fact that in Broward county they charge only 6% sales tax

Price wise I got a awesome deal [at least to my standards] with sub 3% APR, and more than 1K below MSRP
Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new ride. Can't answer your question on the extended powertrain warranty but 6+ years is no sweat for an Acura. I am in eastern Hillsborough county and I bought my non-tech FWD just as the new RDX begin production, so I did not have the option of driving to get a better price. We are at 5500 miles now and love the car. You will too.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats, great car. The extended warranty could be third party, but if its the Acura Care warranty, then it's backed by Acura, so theres a ton of peace of mind.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Congrats and welcome.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Instructor

thank you
Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so I did not have the option of driving to get a better price. We are at 5500 miles now and love the car. You will too.

-------------------------------
Come Here with Once Upon a Time Season 2 DVD, Feel the New Trends of DVDs
Old 12-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Instructor

The warranty is called "Free Extended Powertrain warranty", it is valid for 100K miles or 10 years", has a $200 deductible per repair and it is backed by the dealer (Rick Case Acura) although it can be used nationwide. It covers all the lubricated parts of the engine, the lubricated parts of the transmission and same thing with the axle systems.
They offer it free with any Acura purchase and it is the only dealer that does that, from what I have researched.

My question is:
Would you, in my shoes, also buy a full (bumper to bumper) extended warranty in case you are planning to own this car for 8+ years? I am having my doubts and I am not sure if the extended powertrain warranty is enough, another possibility is to add a "mechanical breakdown coverage" to my Geico car insurance which is cheap but have a $250 deductive per repair

any thoughts?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
The warranty is called "Free Extended Powertrain warranty", it is valid for 100K miles or 10 years", has a $200 deductible per repair and it is backed by the dealer (Rick Case Acura) although it can be used nationwide. It covers all the lubricated parts of the engine, the lubricated parts of the transmission and same thing with the axle systems.
They offer it free with any Acura purchase and it is the only dealer that does that, from what I have researched.

My question is:
Would you, in my shoes, also buy a full (bumper to bumper) extended warranty in case you are planning to own this car for 8+ years? I am having my doubts and I am not sure if the extended powertrain warranty is enough, another possibility is to add a "mechanical breakdown coverage" to my Geico car insurance which is cheap but have a $250 deductive per repair

any thoughts?
So, you're already covered for half of that period, so the money goes toward the 'second half' of the ownership period. You'll pay a great deal of money well in advance 'in case' something goes wrong and is covered and costs significantly more than the deductible. Mechanical breakdown coverage likely won't cover many many things that can go wrong but not be considered 'mechanical'.

Tell us how much money the extended warranty will cost...we'll tell you it should be half of that...then decide if you are a gambler or not.

No easy answer; but extended warranties are serious money makers for a reason.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I am a believer of "nothing is free". I am surprised your APR is that high, since most banks are offering below 2% APR loans. Matter of fact, I think Acura is offering 0.9%. Also, I bought my 2014 Tech AWD for OVER $4,000 off of MSRP and 1.89% APR. So my theory is that you're actually paying for the "free" extended warranty through the small discount and jacked-up APR. The dealer's APR buy-rate is probably 1.5% and marked it up to sub 3% to make additional profit.

As the saying goes, "it's a deal perceived, not deal received". As long as you're happy with the car and deal, then by all means and enjoy it! Congrats!!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by thephantom
"it's a deal perceived, not deal received"
I like this expression...never heard it before but so relevant and appropriate.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by thephantom
I am a believer of "nothing is free". I am surprised your APR is that high, since most banks are offering below 2% APR loans. Matter of fact, I think Acura is offering 0.9%. Also, I bought my 2014 Tech AWD for OVER $4,000 off of MSRP and 1.89% APR. So my theory is that you're actually paying for the "free" extended warranty through the small discount and jacked-up APR. The dealer's APR buy-rate is probably 1.5% and marked it up to sub 3% to make additional profit.

As the saying goes, "it's a deal perceived, not deal received". As long as you're happy with the car and deal, then by all means and enjoy it! Congrats!!
yeah it's 0.9% here too, my friend just got a black '14 RDX
Old 12-15-2013, 10:13 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer

My question is:

any thoughts?
Many dealers offer a "free" extended warranty. Most are tied to having all services completed at the dealership. These are mostly a legal way of circumventing the "tie-in" sale prohibition of the Magnusson-Moss warranty act and a way to increase their bottom line.

We can't talk about your interest rate because we don't know what your credit score is - we can just assume that you didn't qualify for Acura's .9 or the dealer didn't tell you and suckered you into the higher rate to pad their bottom line.

It is always difficult when a new poster comes here with what they think is a killer deal that turns out not to be so wonderful - in this case, the OP seems to have gotten a decent deal since he thinks he got a good deal and only he knows his financial situation.

The powertrain is pretty reliable but the bits that get expensive are the electronics - not covered under the "free" warranty and I don't think those are covered under the GEICO plan either.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Many dealers offer a "free" extended warranty. Most are tied to having all services completed at the dealership. These are mostly a legal way of circumventing the "tie-in" sale prohibition of the Magnusson-Moss warranty act and a way to increase their bottom line.

We can't talk about your interest rate because we don't know what your credit score is - we can just assume that you didn't qualify for Acura's .9 or the dealer didn't tell you and suckered you into the higher rate to pad their bottom line.

It is always difficult when a new poster comes here with what they think is a killer deal that turns out not to be so wonderful - in this case, the OP seems to have gotten a decent deal since he thinks he got a good deal and only he knows his financial situation.

The powertrain is pretty reliable but the bits that get expensive are the electronics - not covered under the "free" warranty and I don't think those are covered under the GEICO plan either.
Yeah, those F&I folks bear watching...I just picked up a killer deal on a Volvo C70(last year of a 'classic') and the salesman knew not to beat around the bush; but the F&I person didn't know me. They sent out a deal based on 3.9% interest...snicker...when Volvo was offering 0% (with certain conditions met). I opted to take another $2200 reduction in price and accepted a 1.8% rate...simple interest...free to re-fi at any time with no penalty.

Those with a very high or lowish credit score know...high is better! Ours went sky high after paying off our mortgage...fun! Not easy to do when starting out; but keep your credit clean, kids!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Guys, if you check I originally posted this on December 2012 and the 0.9% offer was not available (as a matter of fact, at the time there were only lease offers available but nothing related to the area of financing).
As for my credit score, I have to admit that it was not very good to the point that I was pleasantly surprised when they offered me a 2.44%

Ceb, I have to find out about the details of the Geico breakdown plan but I am going to tell you that I heard from a colleague that it covers EVERYTHING, pretty much the same as a bumper-to-bumper plan but with a $250 deductible. As for the price, I got an online quote from the Geico site and it was like $34 per semester (6 months) but you cannot buy it after the car is 15 month old, so basically I would need to add to my insurance coverage for 6 insurance cycles even when I won't use it
Old 12-15-2013, 04:16 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i had the MBI on my plan...used it once to replace both of the axles on my TL. came out even as far as i was concerned when all was said and done. i didn't have an extended warranty. as far as i know MBI only covers the non wear and tear items that involve the mechanical aspects of the car (read= drivetrain) up to 7yrs or 100k on the car. you need to read over the details of what MBI will cover. it is not true bumper to bumper coverage based on what i recall. if this is the case your free drivetrain coverage from your dealer has you covered.

there are some dealers that will offer what you have been offered (the drivetrain extension). there is a toyota dealer in my area that offers such a warranty on the drivetrain to all their new and CPO'd vehicles sold.