Brake pads & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Brake pads & Rotors

My 2014 RDX AWD with 60K miles may be due for brake pads and rotors. I haven't seen any problems but winter is here and I want good brakes. I am surprised they lasted this long. I am not handy enough to do the work. So, what should I expect to pay for all four wheels at the dealer?

Also is replacing the wiperblades front & back a simple DIY? I had done this simple thing on my other vehicles in the past. What do these cost at dealer? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:56 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi - new user here and relatively inexperienced in doing any work on my own car, but I am also looking to replace the front brake pads only and found aftermarket ceramic brake parts wildly ranging from $30 to $70-ish for either of front or rear.

I think I am gunning for $50-ish Bosch on Amazon. Acura OEM ones are about $60-$70 plus shipping/ tax.

I didn't find many front brake pads for 2014 RDX for whatever reason, but most retailers are flush with rear types.

It's hard to find a big box auto repair shop that will let you bring your own part due to perceived warranty issues, but if you go with a smallish mom and pop, they may charge up to $75-ish per axle including resurfacing rotors. I recently paid $50 for fronts on a Ford sedan.

There are tens of factors to consider in constructing estimated price, for instance, insistence on OEM vs aftermarket, type of pads, type of service provider (dealer vs non-dealer), big-box vs mom-n-pop, of course the geographic region, etc. etc. etc.

If you browsed these forums, you'd see threads from people coming here to seeking similar answers when quoted up to $1,200 by dealers.

Oh and yesterday I was quoted $299 by an Acura dealer in TX for front brake pads replacement with rotor resurfacing.

If saving cash is your only focus (which I don't know why would it be on a $35,000 car), then it's possible to get the job done under $200 (maybe even under $175) for front and rear both including rotors resurfacing.

I'll keep the answer simple to the 2nd question. I am a noob with cars and even I know I can handle replacing the wiper blades and all. Have to do it on my other car tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:15 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
I would not bother to turn down the rotors. They are made as thin and as light as possible to begin with to save weight. You would probably pay between $12 to $15 to turn down each rotor, and then it would probably warp much sooner. Mine warped at 35K miles. I bought new rotors and pads at Pep Boys and installed myself, and if you hit the online ordering just right, there are discounts to be had.

Front Rotors (each) $45.99 less 20% = $36.79 each
Front Pads $40.99 less 20% = $32.79 set

Some pads come with new stainless hardware, but if you had to buy the hardware set it is only around $8.00.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
If you can change wiper blades, you can change your pads/rotors. Plenty of info here and DIY videos on YouTube, expand your horizons and save a lot of money. But if you really don't want to do it, just bring it to a Tire Discounters or other reputable shop where the charge per labor hour is less, no need to pay stealership prices for something as simple/basic as a brake job.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:54 PM
3rd Gear

I've heard a couple of blokes say that but I wouldn't go as far as saying brakes/rotors being as easy as wiper blades. I m a complete diy car noob and am not just scared to death of doing the brake job, but also do not have nor plan to personally purchase the tools necessary.

Completely agree on not needing to pay stealerships even if the car is under warranty.

By no means do i wish to dissuade people from adventuring. Couple of reasons why i don't do it myself, besides being a DIY noob, are that cheap labor can be had to do the job right and brakes are a primary safety device.

When it comes to brakes and related components, worth it to buy the more reputed ones.

Originally Posted by RedRyder
If you can change wiper blades, you can change your pads/rotors. Plenty of info here and DIY videos on YouTube, expand your horizons and save a lot of money. But if you really don't want to do it, just bring it to a Tire Discounters or other reputable shop where the charge per labor hour is less, no need to pay stealership prices for something as simple/basic as a brake job.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:08 PM
Be a better driver

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
^Brake jobs are very hard to screw up. For example the rotor only installs one way, the pads only go in the caliper one way, etc. I've been intimidated by some jobs too (like when I replaced my axles), but if you think about it brakes are all just nuts and bolts mostly...an erector set for adults. Plus if you just look at how something sits before taking it apart, you know exactly how to put it back together. Sometimes the worst part is just getting out those dastardly rotor screws!

But you're right, working on cars is not for everyone. I just like to try to empower people to do things themselves as I've seen too many people say they wish they had.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:31 PM
3rd Gear

Your posts are certainly encouraging and motivating. I guess I'm just too spoiled or perhaps afraid since my first run in with a diy fix when i was changing the brake light or perhaps tail light on my car that i ordered online. It may be the lack of tools or my know how, i botched it so i decide to buy one locally at valvoline for $8 and he installed it for free cause for them is a piece of cake.

I can't recall exactly but once i also botched a regular flashlight (not car related) bulb change lol. I'm just no good with diy but i certainly will change that when it comes to my cars. My interest level is increasing in cars, hence i signed up for this forum.

Thankful for whoever made internet forums possible.

Originally Posted by RedRyder
^Brake jobs are very hard to screw up. For example the rotor only installs one way, the pads only go in the caliper one way, etc. I've been intimidated by some jobs too (like when I replaced my axles), but if you think about it brakes are all just nuts and bolts mostly...an erector set for adults. Plus if you just look at how something sits before taking it apart, you know exactly how to put it back together. Sometimes the worst part is just getting out those dastardly rotor screws!

But you're right, working on cars is not for everyone. I just like to try to empower people to do things themselves as I've seen too many people say they wish they had.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:25 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Aside from a regular metric socket set, you will need a large "C" clamp to retract the piston into the caliper. You will also need an impact screwdriver set to remove the phillips screw holding the rotor on to the hub. I always remove those screws when new, and coat the threads with anti-seize compound. Then when the time comes to replace the rotors, the screws come out easy. Push comes to shove, they can be drilled out.
Here is the impact set I was talking about:

Amazon.com: Lisle 29200 3/8" Hand Impact Tool Set: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 29200 3/8" Hand Impact Tool Set: Automotive
Old 12-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
From Acurapartsforless.com you can get front rotors and pad for 235 which is 25% discount over dealer. My experience is Acura dealer will install genuine Acura parts. Just be sure to have original packaging. Depending on type of roads you travel you. You may only need rotors turned and not replaced.