Auto Door Locking

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Auto Door Locking

I can't find this in the user manual and not sure what I am seeing at times .... if I turn off the car, put it in park and close the door behind me, can I expect doors auto-lock after a minute or two ... I know the UM states that if you use remote control unlock key and do not open the door, it will auto - lock again. I am not sure if auto-locks kicks in if you simply leave the car with door close. I am pretty sure my Toyota did that ...
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I don't think it does because I have my RDX in the garage all the time and bring the remote in the house. I have never had to unlock my doors when I get in. You are correct though, if the doors are locked and you unlock it using the key fob and then don't open the door, it will re-lock again on its own.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
The doors will never auto lock on their own unless:

-You've unlocked a door using the remote fob and not touched a door handle/opened a door. If so, and walk away, within 30 (or 60 or 90 if you changed the setting) seconds, Security Relock will relock the door.

Otherwise there is no feature for it just to lock. The only other autolock setting is when it locks after the car is started. Default is to lock with speed at about 10mph. Your other options are to lock as soon as the car is shifted out of park, or off so as to never auto lock.

Ask away...but yes, no auto locking
Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. I guess will have to get used to pressing the button on the hanlde to lock the car...the whole idea behind FOB was that you do not need to pull it out of your pocket ...
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by FishX
Thanks for the confirmation. I guess will have to get used to pressing the button on the hanlde to lock the car...the whole idea behind FOB was that you do not need to pull it out of your pocket ...
right, and by using the button on the driver door handle you don't need to pull them out of your pocket.

a tip, use a knuckle to push the handle button. A finger nail can dig through the rubber on the handle button over years of use.

another tip, use the button under the rear hatch to lock the car so you don't have to stand in the street while you lock your car or if you have to wait for your wife/kids/friends to quit screwing around and get the f out and close their doors.
The following users liked this post:
FishX (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by beach109
The doors will never auto lock on their own unless:

-You've unlocked a door using the remote fob and not touched a door handle/opened a door. If so, and walk away, within 30 (or 60 or 90 if you changed the setting) seconds, Security Relock will relock the door.

Otherwise there is no feature for it just to lock. The only other autolock setting is when it locks after the car is started. Default is to lock with speed at about 10mph. Your other options are to lock as soon as the car is shifted out of park, or off so as to never auto lock.

Ask away...but yes, no auto locking
That was my understanding too but on many occasions, this is not what I am seeing. I have a 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech which I got earlier this year. Many times (not always!) I have come back to get in the car, after being parked in my garage, and I find that the doors are locked and the alarm light is blinking inside. I never lock it as I get out of the car when I am in my garage. The owner's manual certainly doesn't explain why this would happen sometimes. I was planning on asking about this the next time I am at the dealer. Strange, right?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mysterious locking is part of the Acura lifestyle.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoTL
I have come back to get in the car, after being parked in my garage, and I find that the doors are locked and the alarm light is blinking inside. I never lock it as I get out of the car when I am in my garage. The owner's manual certainly doesn't explain why this would happen sometimes. I was planning on asking about this the next time I am at the dealer. Strange, right?
This happened to me twice this past week. I think it locks up if I go in it for stuff with the fob in my pocket after I've parked it.

My Inifiniti and my Audi both used to drop the windows while I was away from the car. That was explained away as being the remote was being activated by my jeans when I sat down in the house. Maybe that explains this too?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by AmberB
This happened to me twice this past week. I think it locks up if I go in it for stuff with the fob in my pocket after I've parked it.

My Inifiniti and my Audi both used to drop the windows while I was away from the car. That was explained away as being the remote was being activated by my jeans when I sat down in the house. Maybe that explains this too?
Thanks. For me, I am seeing the doors locking unexpectantly more often when I have not gone back into the car after parking it in the garage. I do carry the fob in my pocket and my home office is very clse to the garage so maybe the fob's lock button is getting pressed without me realizing it. I'm still not sure if this is the case. It really doesn't matter since the car unlocks as soon as I touch the door handle.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AmberB
This happened to me yesterday. The RDX is parked in a locked garage. I don't want the car locked because we have cats that are often in the garage and I don't want them to set off the security alarm by jumping on the car. I hope this does not keep happening.

Gregg