Anyone select their original tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015 | 12:04 PM
Advanced

Anyone select their original tires?

Saw in the warranty section that there are 7 brands that could be on the RDX. Anyone make the dealer switch to a different brand before they bought?

I didn't even consider it. Good or bad, I have Michelin tires.
Old 04-01-2015 | 11:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by emsrph
Saw in the warranty section that there are 7 brands that could be on the RDX. Anyone make the dealer switch to a different brand before they bought?

I didn't even consider it. Good or bad, I have Michelin tires.
I got mine pretty early in the running...not sure if any options were available later...none for me. They usually include info for 2-3 makers, a CYA sort of thing. I seriously doubt seven different brands were/are available on all models combined.
Old 04-02-2015 | 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

From my passing observations starting with the Gen2 redesign of the RDX, the Michelin Primacy has been the tire used pretty much exclusively from the factory. What likely explains the extended list of tire manufacturers is who makes the spare tire. I noticed the other day the spare in my '15 AWD Tech is a Continental. But in other Acuras I've seen Bridgestone and other brands. I'm guessing that the spare tire might be the reason.

I will say that with other models, there have been varying OEM tires. The 2nd GEN MDX started coming w/Michelins but somewhere in mid-2012 they started replacing them with Bridgestones - same trim lines. TL's can come with Michelins or Bridgestones. And the new TLX's can even have (sigh) Goodyear Eagle LS on them (ouch). But in all these cases, you're at the mercy of what the line is using when they put the cars together at the factory. The only way you could ever choose a tire make is if the dealer did the swap for you out of the goodness of his/her heart from other cars on their lot - only if the tire makes were different....

andy
Old 04-16-2015 | 11:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by andysinnh
From my passing observations starting with the Gen2 redesign of the RDX, the Michelin Primacy has been the tire used pretty much exclusively from the factory. What likely explains the extended list of tire manufacturers is who makes the spare tire. I noticed the other day the spare in my '15 AWD Tech is a Continental. But in other Acuras I've seen Bridgestone and other brands. I'm guessing that the spare tire might be the reason.

I will say that with other models, there have been varying OEM tires. The 2nd GEN MDX started coming w/Michelins but somewhere in mid-2012 they started replacing them with Bridgestones - same trim lines. TL's can come with Michelins or Bridgestones. And the new TLX's can even have (sigh) Goodyear Eagle LS on them (ouch). But in all these cases, you're at the mercy of what the line is using when they put the cars together at the factory. The only way you could ever choose a tire make is if the dealer did the swap for you out of the goodness of his/her heart from other cars on their lot - only if the tire makes were different....

andy
There are set rules per trim level.

2014+ MDX - Base uses 18" Michelin. Tech uses 19" Continental. Tech/Ent and Advance use 19" Michelin.
2013+ RDX - All use same 18" Michelin
2013-2015 ILX - All used 17" Michelin.
2016+ ILX - Base/Prem/Tech use 17" Michelin. A-Spec cars use 18" Continental.
2015+ TLX - 2.4L cars use 17" Goodyear. V6 FWD cars use 18" Bridgestone Potenza. V6 SH-AWD cars use 18" Goodyear.
2014+ RLX - All use Michelin

It's specific to trim level, with Acura vehicles, if they don't use the same across the line.

RDX has always been Michelin.
Old 04-16-2015 | 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beach109
There are set rules per trim level.

2014+ MDX - Base uses 18" Michelin. Tech uses 19" Continental. Tech/Ent and Advance use 19" Michelin.
2013+ RDX - All use same 18" Michelin
2013-2015 ILX - All used 17" Michelin.
2016+ ILX - Base/Prem/Tech use 17" Michelin. A-Spec cars use 18" Continental.
2015+ TLX - 2.4L cars use 17" Goodyear. V6 FWD cars use 18" Bridgestone Potenza. V6 SH-AWD cars use 18" Goodyear.
2014+ RLX - All use Michelin

It's specific to trim level, with Acura vehicles, if they don't use the same across the line.

RDX has always been Michelin.
Doesn't the '14 MDX Tech use 18" continentals? I remember considering those tires (245-60R18) on my (then) '13 MDX. Overall you're correct - but the 2nd gen MDX did a switch from Michelin to Bridgestone mid-model-year 2013 so early ones had Michelin (like 2012) and later ones had Bridgestone Dueler's - even the 18" on the Tech's.

andy
Old 04-27-2015 | 03:09 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Michelin Primacy's seem to be their "go to tire." But, I have been using Continental LX-20's and they are GREAT! Smooth, quiet, great ride...and do very well in wet, snow, and ice. Tire Rack is a great place to check on how this tire is doing...and it's on top. It also has incredible tire wear. I measure my tread depth during rotations and am amazed at how they are showing very little wear. They are cheaper than Michelins...which have been pricing their tires higher and higher. I use Contis on all of my vehicles...tire according to the vehicles needs of course. Love the DWS model, and the Pure Contact model. Have used them all.
Old 06-03-2015 | 04:41 PM
Pro

Had my 36K mile check up today and we have almost exactly two months left on the lease. Bad news, the tires might not be road worthy by then...Tech fellow says 1/32 left before 'red line' on all four(very even wear, BTW). I'm pretty certain we will buy the RDX at lease end; but likely would drive it only for another year or less...while looking at the '16s from various marques as they become available.

I'd be tickled to find a relatively new RDX owner who didn't like his/her OEM tires and wanted to unload them at a fair price

Really hate the idea of putting nearly a grand into new tires, just to trade the vehicle in a year's time.(Did that on two vehicles already ) On the other hand, I don't want to cheap out on tires and suffer the consequences, even for only 10-15K miles.
Old 06-06-2015 | 06:47 AM
Advanced

Hey Coach,

Maybe check out a junk yard for used RDX tires off a wreck? Only of course if bad tires weren't the cause of the crash.
Old 06-08-2015 | 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CoachRick

I'd be tickled to find a relatively new RDX owner who didn't like his/her OEM tires and wanted to unload them at a fair price

Really hate the idea of putting nearly a grand into new tires, just to trade the vehicle in a year's time.(Did that on two vehicles already ) On the other hand, I don't want to cheap out on tires and suffer the consequences, even for only 10-15K miles.
Coach - check out Colorado Guy's earlier post in another thread about offering his 400 mile OEM tires off his '16 Advance - not sure if he's within a driving distance (TX -> CO ?) but might be an option, especially if you keep the RDX longer than the extra year you're thinking.....
Old 06-08-2015 | 12:57 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by andysinnh
Coach - check out Colorado Guy's earlier post in another thread about offering his 400 mile OEM tires off his '16 Advance - not sure if he's within a driving distance (TX -> CO ?) but might be an option, especially if you keep the RDX longer than the extra year you're thinking.....

Coach already knows about my tires for sale. Thanks for the "referral." LOL!!
Old 06-08-2015 | 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

I have never considered selling my used rubbers.....LMAO!
Old 06-08-2015 | 07:31 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by weather
I have never considered selling my used rubbers.....LMAO!

Weather, weather....you sure have become more bold and searching for "funnies" to inflict! No stories on how you don't like Acuras any longer?? Sorry you still have to use them!! LMAO!!!!!
Old 06-08-2015 | 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ LMAO! I had taken a few days of absence to work on my new material I have to admit that for a brief period last winter, I was a bit on a hate for Acura but I have mellowed out and I think that I was speaking out of frustration more than anything.

At the end of the day, the g/f and I still have our ILX and I know I will eventually return to the brand to replace the IS down the road. I am a Honda/Acura guy but this brief break was needed as well
Old 06-08-2015 | 08:41 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by weather
^^ LMAO! I had taken a few days of absence to work on my new material I have to admit that for a brief period last winter, I was a bit on a hate for Acura but I have mellowed out and I think that I was speaking out of frustration more than anything.

At the end of the day, the g/f and I still have our ILX and I know I will eventually return to the brand to replace the IS down the road. I am a Honda/Acura guy but this brief break was needed as well

We all look forward to your new material written during your break!!!

Lexus makes great quality vehicles. I just can't stand their new "corporate" front grills that are butt ugly. Wow!!!

No car is perfect....if the "love it/like it list is much longer than the "don't like/love"...then that's a good thing to look at. Cost, value, resale value, looks, fits your needs...those are what matters for most...but, not all buyers. At least the smart ones!!

Weather....makes some rain for California please!! No, I don't live there...used to...but, the largest growers of our fruits and veggies are in real trouble...and then so will we be. Plus so many people without drinking water....etc.
The following users liked this post:
weather (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015 | 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree....the Lexus grill is very polarizing and hard to feel indifferent about it. I like it myself but again, looks are so subjective and I don't expect people to all like it....that is what makes us all unique

I agree, the drought situation is not good and if there was a way I could change the weather patterns, I wouldn't be on Acurazine right now I do hope things will turn around though....
Old 06-09-2015 | 02:54 AM
Pro

Thanks for the used rubber tips, fellas. Had a talk with DW last night about the keep the car/get something new quandary we face...Still not sure what our plan is
Old 06-09-2015 | 03:24 PM
Intermediate

I typically negotiate the purchase of different tires from the dealer before purchasing a new vehicle. They are installed and Roadforce balanced before picking up the vehicle. On the rare occasion the dealer cannot source the tire of my choice, I drive directly from the dealer to tire dealer and swap them out. I've found I can save quite of money this way and drive the car immediately with my tire of choice.
Sumoto