Aftermarket Anti-collision, Lane departure, Blindspot monitor for 2014 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Anti-collision, Lane departure, Blindspot monitor for 2014 RDX

I am reasonably happy with my 2014 RDX+Tech pkg and do not wish to trade it for 2016 model just because I value the utility of Collision Mitigation Braking system and Lane keeping assist options in newer model. I came across two products with links below for about $2,200 which can be retrofitted in my RDX.

RD140 Radar | Safe Drive Systems

GOSHERS BSDS-003016P Upgraded Premium Blind Spot Detection System

Anybody out there who has some feedback on these products regarding their functioning and reliability? Will they interfere in the normal operation of my car (tech. features - navigation etc.) in any way? Thanks
Old 07-17-2015, 10:20 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I'm hazarding a guess that installing any of these on your 2014 RDX would most likely void the warranty of the entire infotech system. If yes, would you be okay with it?
Not to discourage you but someone has got to try it first. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
I'm hazarding a guess that installing any of these on your 2014 RDX would most likely void the warranty of the entire infotech system. If yes, would you be okay with it?
Not to discourage you but someone has got to try it first. Good luck.
Looks like neither of these add-on systems requires connecting to or modifying the infotech system ... They're stand-alone add-ons (so far as I can tell from the provided links). I can't see why adding these would invalidate a warranty - but of course, I'm not thinking the way a manufacturer would! I suggest calling the suppliers and asking whether their customers have had warranty issues.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:26 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
It would be cheaper than purchasing a new 16 RDX. I don't like the warranty would be shorter than I usually keep my cars. I don't know who would install or fix this system in my hometown since it is so new?

I have ACC, CMBS, BSI, IDS and seat belt pre-tensioners on my 11 MDX. I've used all of these in emergency or normal driving situations when traveling outside of my hometown (put about +20,000 miles per year on the MDX). Don't get much use from those systems in my daily commute since I'm so familiar with the daily driving habits.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by BPalladium
I'm not thinking the way a manufacturer would! I suggest calling the suppliers and asking whether their customers have had warranty issues.
If you're serious about adding either of these systems, I would definitely check regarding the warranty.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
This would be cool. I would be interested also. I wish I could upgrade the audio system with a gps navigation unit. I did that on my altima and the resale value increased more than what it cost me put. With the metra kit, it looks like factory install!
Old 08-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
These are passive systems, like having a screaming passenger sitting beside you.

It is probably useful if you plan to keep the car for > 8 years. If not, the only value for adding this system to your car is to make it easier to sell to private owner.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:46 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by RSX_Takashi
These are passive systems, like having a screaming passenger sitting beside you.

But the last thing I'd want is to have someone do back seat driving for me. It would drive me nuts... I would rather just look around myself and drive in peace.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Save your money, use your eyes and turn your head, it has worked for a hundred years.
The following users liked this post:
thoiboi (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts
For me, the only real feature I'd like to have in my '15 RDX is the Rear Cross Traffic alert. Having the backup camera with the wide-angle setting is great - but when backing out of a spot with two big vehicles on either side, I've had a few cases where a car would come out of nowhere and if I weren't crawling I'd have hit them for sure. So while I agree that for things like blind spot, lane departure and collision mitigation features that just good driving awareness will work, that extra set of eyes when backing up would be a benefit. Just sayin'.....

andy
Old 08-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
For me, the only real feature I'd like to have in my '15 RDX is the Rear Cross Traffic alert. Having the backup camera with the wide-angle setting is great - but when backing out of a spot with two big vehicles on either side, I've had a few cases where a car would come out of nowhere and if I weren't crawling I'd have hit them for sure. So while I agree that for things like blind spot, lane departure and collision mitigation features that just good driving awareness will work, that extra set of eyes when backing up would be a benefit. Just sayin'.....

andy
If you have a reverse camera, you should have no trouble seeing what is approaching from the left side and right side when you are backing up. Cross traffic alert only adds additional audio and visual warnings to alert the driver.

When you are backing out of a stall, you should be crawling out and be prepared to stop as soon as crossing traffic is detected. Who guns out of parking stall in reverse anyway? That's dangerous and also stupid. If you gun out of a parking stall, a reverse camera will not prevent an accident.

If you worry about backing out of a stall, try backing into a stall and drive straight out. It is a bit more work at first, but it is a lot safer.

Use your eyes, turn your head and with some common sense you can go a long way.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by RSX_Takashi
If you have a reverse camera, you should have no trouble seeing what is approaching from the left side and right side when you are backing up. Cross traffic alert only adds additional audio and visual warnings to alert the driver.

When you are backing out of a stall, you should be crawling out and be prepared to stop as soon as crossing traffic is detected. Who guns out of parking stall in reverse anyway? That's dangerous and also stupid. If you gun out of a parking stall, a reverse camera will not prevent an accident.

If you worry about backing out of a stall, try backing into a stall and drive straight out. It is a bit more work at first, but it is a lot safer.

Use your eyes, turn your head and with some common sense you can go a long way.
Sigh. Thanks much for the tutorial on how to safely back out of a parking spot. I learned back in 1972 how to back out of a spot with my mom's 68 Bonneville Wagon (also parallel parking). You learn how to do it right, and how to use common sense, when you're driving something that's that big - plus a relatively immovable object at the same time.

My point was...

That while the rearview camera has its benefits, it's not without its issues. My previous vehicle had rear backup sensors that used the audio sound to warn you when something was near, and it had a great ability to sense to the edges beyond where a rear camera would be able to see. Adding the rear cross traffic detection system in conjunction with the rear camera would be great. After all, you use your eyes to watch the camera view, plus mirrors, plus the rear window. Having the audible alert would be another tool.

For me, the biggest issue is slowly backing out into a travel lane where cars are going at speed. Such as when you nose into a diagonal parking spot in a city environment, and you've got a suburban and F150 on either side of you. Having that audible sensor along with the visual cues would be great.

But thanks, again, for the dialog. You don't know me and I don't know you. But assuming I don't have common sense and would just gun the crap out of the car wasn't the point of my post.

andy
Old 08-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
For me, the feature I wish we had was the blind spot warning. I've like it in other cars I've driven, although I've never owned a car with that feature. I plan to get it on our next SUV.