Advice for first time Acura buyer - RDX 2G

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 11:34 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for first time Acura buyer - RDX 2G

Hi all - I’m looking to buy a 2G RDX soon and was wondering if there’s any thing specific I should be looking out for during inspections and test drives?

My budget is under $20K (Ideally around 16-18K) so I’ll most likely be limited to pre-facelift models with around 80K miles. What kind of major issues, if any, should I be prepared to address in the near future with a RDX of this age and mileage?

I’ve been searching around and couldn’t seem to find any issues too concerning w 2Gs (one of the reasons the RDX is at the top of my list) but I’m new to Acura so would appreciate any advice.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:57 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
it's a pretty solid car.
the engine has been refined for over 20 years, using the same architecture for 2 decades.
at 105k miles, there will be a significant service, which entails the water pump, timing belt and its tensioner and spark plugs. depending on who you take it to; the service can range from $400 to $1200, so keep that in mind.

other than that, you're looking at normal car things that can wear out with use and time...tires, oil, brakes, brake fluid, coolant, etc.etc.
Very solid car.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (08-24-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 06:29 AM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
I agree with everything junstnspace has said. There is some periodic maintenance (transmission, differential, and transfer case fluids) that should have been performed a few times. If you find a car with record of that maintenance, it would be a bonus. We've had ours since new in 2014, and are very happy with it. Most reliable car we've owned.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:03 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info.

It’s been a while since I’ve bought a car as I’ve been relying on public transit for the past 10 years. The sales process seems to have evolved a bit. I went to a few dealers today and they weren’t willing to come down off of the price they advertised online. Is that normal these days?
Old 08-24-2020, 09:08 AM
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts
You don't mention previous experience with Hondas / Acuras...the 2G RDXs are equipped with VCM (variable cylinder management) which cuts out cylinders under certain engine load conditions. It is the worst "tack-on" technology ever developed...in my experience as applied by Honda / Acura. Driveability and oil consumption issues have been the norm for many Honda / Acura owners to include myself.

Having said that...the 2G RDX is a great / reliable vehicle. The only issue with my wife's 13 RDX were driveability issues initially...cured with the installation of a S-VCM controller and replacing the OEM ATF with MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF. Not a single issue otherwise in almost 3 years of ownership.

2013 RDX-TECH AWD - MaxLife ATF + S-VCM Controller

I do my own maintenance and with >115k miles on it now...it still doesn't drink a drop of oil between programmed maintenance intervals. Great small, powerful, refined SUV that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again!
Old 08-25-2020, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2G is a very solid car. You get the classic drive-train V6/6 speed auto. Lots of power with low RPMs.

Very easy to work on and do your own maintenance.

I prefer the base model...fewer electronics to contribute to car's eventual electronic death.

Make sure it hasn't been abused by heavy feet or hit hard.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The RDX is a great vehicle. As others have said, the only issue really comes from the VCM. Mine started to burn oil at around 80k miles due to the VCM. If you purchase and RDX, I highly recommend installing the S-VCM or VCMTuner II modules. They will disabled the cylinder deactivation technology that's been known to cause problems.

One of the only other common issues I've come across is the rear shocks going bad. I replaced mine at around 70k miles. I purchased a set of KYB Gas-A-Just for about $140. Installed them myself in about an hour. You could get an independent shop to do the job for probably $300-$400.

Other than that, the only thing to keep in mind is that these vehicles use a timing belt instead of a chain. It requires replacement at around 105k miles. The job typically costs around $1200. So factor that into the cost of ownership.

I love my RDX and think that for the price, you can't find a more refined vehicle. I blew the Rav4, CX-5, and CR-V's that I test drove out of the water. I love the quiet ride, great sound system, and powerful V6 engine. Best of luck!
Old 08-26-2020, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The timing belt and water pump jobs are A little time consuming, but not difficult. Then there's the oil pump seal which can be done during the timing belt job.

One thing I do is make sure I have everything ready...and then some...before undertaking any job. Two saw horses and a sheet of plywood are close by as a work surface.

Torque everything twice. Take your time. Rotate the engine several times before final assembly.

Enjoy a few beers.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
A lot of good suggestions from posts above. Go for it if you find a good deal with good maintenance records.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:15 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by sillbeer
Thanks for the info.

It’s been a while since I’ve bought a car as I’ve been relying on public transit for the past 10 years. The sales process seems to have evolved a bit. I went to a few dealers today and they weren’t willing to come down off of the price they advertised online. Is that normal these days?
that's what they say; but negotiations is a dance.
there are a million RDX, okay an exaggeration, but if you're not happy with one price, leave

I would pit as many dealers against each other as you possibly can. email dealers and work them that way.
"this dealer is offering this, can you beat it to get the sale today?"
then keep pitting them against each other until you're happy.

another tactic is to get a dealer to offer a weekend test drive. then on monday morning, say no thanks too expensive.

Last edited by justnspace; 08-26-2020 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (10-23-2020)