2nd gen RDX for family with kids?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd gen RDX for family with kids?

Hi guys and gals,

Long time lurker here. I need some advice on the practicality of using the 2nd gen rdx as a family car. Hope some of you can help me make a decision on my next purchase.

I currently have a '06 tsx and '11 ct200h. When I bought the ct200h for my wife in 2011 we were planning to have a baby already but she wasn't pregnant yet. We had a baby in May of 2012. I had no idea how bulky the baby car seat and the stroller would be at the time I bought the ct. Now we have two small cars and neither one is suitable for any extended family outings. We absolutely need a new car with more cabin space and hopefully more cargo space.

This brings me to the rdx. I've been doing some research and like what I see with the new rdx. I know it's been designed for DINK families. So perhaps acura didn't really target families with kids. There's a number of minor difficiencies I see with the rdx. But the number one issue I had was the lack of rear vents.

We live in southern california. The summer days can get very warm. If I park the car outside on a summer day the cabin would be very hot. The baby would be in a rear facing car seat in the back and my wife would be in the back also to be with the baby. I want to see if anyone here is using the rdx in a similar fashion. I'm really concerned that the lack of rear vents means insufficient cooling for the baby and my wife.

I saw someone here mentioned that the rdx has air vents under the front seats. What's your experience with them? Are they sufficient for cooling the back cabin? At this point I have a number of options:

1) Buy the rdx and hope it's good enough.
2) Lease the rdx, limp along, and hope acura adds air vents for the rdx refresh in a couple of years.
3) Buy the rx350.
4) Forget the suvs. Sacrifice cargo spaces and get a big sedan with rear vents.

The rx350 has the air vents but it drives like a boat and it costs about 8-9k more than the rdx. I really hate how it handles. I think my wife is leaning towards the sedan route. The sedans lack the cargo space I was looking for. An suv's extra cargo space would be very useful for long trips and occsional trips to home depot.

I'm trying to make a decision within the next couple of months. As the weather warms up a bit the wife wants to take the baby out more often. A new car would make those trips a lot more comfortable. Anyone here care to comment? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by ludefolife
Hi guys and gals,

Long time lurker here. I need some advice on the practicality of using the 2nd gen rdx as a family car. Hope some of you can help me make a decision on my next purchase.

I currently have a '06 tsx and '11 ct200h. When I bought the ct200h for my wife in 2011 we were planning to have a baby already but she wasn't pregnant yet. We had a baby in May of 2012. I had no idea how bulky the baby car seat and the stroller would be at the time I bought the ct. Now we have two small cars and neither one is suitable for any extended family outings. We absolutely need a new car with more cabin space and hopefully more cargo space.

This brings me to the rdx. I've been doing some research and like what I see with the new rdx. I know it's been designed for DINK families. So perhaps acura didn't really target families with kids. There's a number of minor difficiencies I see with the rdx. But the number one issue I had was the lack of rear vents.

We live in southern california. The summer days can get very warm. If I park the car outside on a summer day the cabin would be very hot. The baby would be in a rear facing car seat in the back and my wife would be in the back also to be with the baby. I want to see if anyone here is using the rdx in a similar fashion. I'm really concerned that the lack of rear vents means insufficient cooling for the baby and my wife.

I saw someone here mentioned that the rdx has air vents under the front seats. What's your experience with them? Are they sufficient for cooling the back cabin? At this point I have a number of options:

1) Buy the rdx and hope it's good enough.
2) Lease the rdx, limp along, and hope acura adds air vents for the rdx refresh in a couple of years.
3) Buy the rx350.
4) Forget the suvs. Sacrifice cargo spaces and get a big sedan with rear vents.

The rx350 has the air vents but it drives like a boat and it costs about 8-9k more than the rdx. I really hate how it handles. I think my wife is leaning towards the sedan route. The sedans lack the cargo space I was looking for. An suv's extra cargo space would be very useful for long trips and occsional trips to home depot.

I'm trying to make a decision within the next couple of months. As the weather warms up a bit the wife wants to take the baby out more often. A new car would make those trips a lot more comfortable. Anyone here care to comment? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You'll be better served by the MDX. The current model has good deals (near RDX w/tech pricing) available if price is an issue. It will be thirsty though.

I read something once that suggested that once you have kids it's best to just run a garden rake down both sides of your car so you stop worrying about the little things like baby barf and spilled milk. Kids destroy cars, buying something new may be ill advised if only for sanity's sake.
The following users liked this post:
ludefolife (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
OP.... First, the disclaimer...I have no kids of my own so I can't really comment on car seats etc. My vehicles are my babies

As far the as the RDX is concerned....This is a very good vehicle. No question, as with any vehicles, it is not perfect and being the first year of its FMC, it is prone to a few little problems. None of them are serious enough to leave you stranded with your family, but rather, little annoyance.

The first thing you need to do is test drive one with your wife and child. Your wife, depending on the length of her torso, may not like the lack of adjustable seat on the passenger side (height wise). I would be very surprised that it wouldn't provide enough cargo space compared to both vehicles you now have...and if you are prepared to settle on a sedan, you will find the extra cargo space to be quite nice.

As far as the rear vents...I am not sure how necessary they are. I am pretty sure that the front vents will be sufficient in cooling the cabin and not put your child in danger of heat stress.

If you don't like the way the RX350 rides now, chances are, you will never enjoy that vehicle so you should stay away. But please, do yourself a huge favor, go test drive the RDX for yourself. Driveability is such a subjective thing and no one will know how you will enjoy the RDX but yourself.

As you know, the RDX is selling extremely well and it must be doing something right! I am extremely happy with the RDX and don't regret buying it at all. Sure, it doesn't have the brand appeal as the Q5 or X3 but I still feel it does everything quite well and for the price, quite the nice riding vehicle.

Of course, the MDX is quite nice and there are some good deals to be had but at the fuel consumption's expense....

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by weather; 01-22-2013 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ludefolife (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by weather
OP.... First, the disclaimer...I have no kids of my own so I can't really comment on car seats etc. My vehicles are my babies

As far the as the RDX is concerned....This is a very good vehicle. No question, as with any vehicles, it is not perfect and being the first year of its FMC, it is prone to a few little problems. None of them are serious enough to leave you stranded with your family, but rather, little annoyance.

The first thing you need to do is test drive one with your wife and child. Your wife, depending on the length of her torso, may not like the lack of adjustable seat on the passenger side (height wise). I would be very surprised that it wouldn't provide enough cargo space compared to both vehicles you now have...and if you are prepared to settle on a sedan, you will find the extra cargo space to be quite nice.

As far as the rear vents...I am not sure how necessary they are. I am pretty sure that the front vents will be sufficient in cooling the cabin and not put your child in danger of heat stress.

If you don't like the way the RX350 rides now, chances are, you will never enjoy that vehicle so you should stay away. But please, do yourself a huge favor, go test drive the RDX for yourself. Driveability is such a subjective thing and no one will know how you will enjoy the RDX but yourself.

As you know, the RDX is selling extremely well and it must be doing something right! I am extremely happy with the RDX and don't regret buying it at all. Sure, it doesn't have the brand appeal as the Q5 or X3 but I still feel it does everything quite well and for the price, quite the nice riding vehicle.

Of course, the MDX is quite nice and there are some good deals to be had but at the fuel consumption's expense....

Best of luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for your response Weather. I definitely will test drive the rdx. Since the car seat and the stroller fit in both of my cars right now, I have no doubt they will fit (with room to spare) in the rdx. My only concern is the ride comfort and safety for the rear passengers. My wife is 5'5" so I don't think she'll have problems with the front passenger seat height. Besides she'll sit in the back most of the time anyway.

I also checked out the q5 and x3. The q5 is too small in the back, and I hate the look of the x3 interior. Besides when I consulted with friends with audi's and bmw's their responses were universal "if you want a trouble free vehicle don't get german cars".

Amber, thanks for your advice too. I briefly considered the mdx as well. To be honest with the 2014 model coming out in a few months I really can't bring myself to getting an existing mdx right now. Besides its gas milage is terrible. I agree with you on kids being destroyers of cars. All my friends and coworkers with kids told me I should get a car with dark interior. Kids will spill drinks and drop various food particles in the car. A light colored interior would make those spills very visible. I've always had cars with dark interiors before and was hoping to get parchment interior this time. Guess that's out of the question now.

Overall I like the rdx and really want it to work out. If the lack of rear air vent is proven to be a non-issue I'd be buying in a heartbeat. Will let you guys know how the test drive goes in a few days.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have a 3.5 year old in the back almost always. The car cools down very quickly even without the directional vent in back. (There are vents under the front seats for the back.)

My only complaint in regards to use as a family vehicle is that the tether for car seat when in the center position is in the roof. This means there are cables blocking part fo the rear window. Not a big issue, but a minor annoyance. We will probably move the kidlet over to a side position soon.

We also added the side rails the car to give the kidlet a step to get into the car. All I can say is he loves the car. When we took it in to have the hitch instead, he cried and was afraid we were taking away his step!

(We also cross shopped the X3 and Q5 ... and found the RDX back seat the best.)
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The RDX is at the top of my list to replace my GTI lease this fall. I have a 16 month old and will hopefully have a second kid within the next couple of years. I love the GTI, but it doesn't hold much with the stroller in the back.

My wife's Passat is a fantastic family sedan if you want to go that route. We're only paying $315/month for that lease (nothing out of pocket) and everything is covered under warranty, including oil changes. There is a ton of legroom in the Passat and the trunk is massive. The trunk floor is probably about a foot longer than the cargo floor in the RDX, so even though you can't stack stuff all the way up to the roof in the Passat, you don't really need to. If my garage was big enough to accommodate a Pilot, I'd probably go that route to be more practical, but at least with the RDX, I'm getting a more luxurious and more fun car to drive.

The RDX is pushing my budget, so I wouldn't consider anything that's more expensive (i.e. Q5, X3, MDX or RX350).
Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi, I have 2 kids (3.5 yo and 8 yo).

The younger one is still in a car seat, but we are done with strollers.

For our family of 4 the RDX is perfect size. Very spacious, enough cargo space and comfortable front seats as well. It is pretty convenient to maneuver around the city as well.

Overall, pretty happy. RX 350 was another option, but I would go for the 2014 MDX for same price as RX350. At least, I get 2 extra seats and plenty of tech goodness.

MB, BMWs and Audis are not for me as I keep my vehicles for 8-10 years and I dont have the time for frequent trips to mechanics with those cars.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by blSwagger
The RDX is at the top of my list to replace my GTI lease this fall. I have a 16 month old and will hopefully have a second kid within the next couple of years. I love the GTI, but it doesn't hold much with the stroller in the back.

My wife's Passat is a fantastic family sedan if you want to go that route. We're only paying $315/month for that lease (nothing out of pocket) and everything is covered under warranty, including oil changes. There is a ton of legroom in the Passat and the trunk is massive. The trunk floor is probably about a foot longer than the cargo floor in the RDX, so even though you can't stack stuff all the way up to the roof in the Passat, you don't really need to. If my garage was big enough to accommodate a Pilot, I'd probably go that route to be more practical, but at least with the RDX, I'm getting a more luxurious and more fun car to drive.

The RDX is pushing my budget, so I wouldn't consider anything that's more expensive (i.e. Q5, X3, MDX or RX350).
You really shouldn't stack stuff up to the roof in the RDX, one quick stop and the stuff on top becomes a missile to hit baby and you in the back of the head. That said, the Passat may have more useful storage, unless considering large objects like bikes or TV sets.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM
8th Gear

Scheduled a test drive with a local dealer for this Saturday. Judging by the feedback and the reviews on the net I'm almost certain we are going with the rdx. Wife is will to go along with it provided the test drive doesn't reveal any major issues.

We know the tech package is a must since we want the nav and power tailgate. The question now is whether we should get awd. Being in southern california we don't get any snow. Just about the only time it might come in handy is when we visit the national parks like Yosemite, Sequoia national park, and Crater Lake. I think most national parks have paved roads. Other than snow, rain, and unpaved roads does awd help in other conditions? Would it have any benefit on dry paved roads? I don't mind spending the extra $1300 if it has a tangible benefit. I heard with awd you have to replace all four tires if only one is damaged. Is that true?

Anyway the test drive will answer a lot of our questions. Around here the rdx is selling well. Hope the local dealers are willing to negotiated.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I live in Texas and passengers riding in the back seat have had no issues with no rear vents. The cabin cools very quickly and stays that way.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

ludeoflife....It is nice to see that you have done a thorough analysis of your needs and that you are doing the test drive to confirm your research. Now as far as the benefit of the AWD, no doubt that it is not as effective as far as handling as the SH-AWD but judging by your sound family values, you are not getting the RDX to push its envelop, but rather, to have a great safe vehicle for your and your precious cargo The AWD will still help out in the rain to provide some stability but the FWD will still do quite well. If you have no problem affording the extra 1300$, for the piece of mind, you could go for it but it wouldn't be as critical as if you lived up in the northern states. At this point, its a decision on whether you would like the added piece of mind and the cute little trim that says AWD Keep in mind, 1300$ over 60 months is about $22 a month (plus tax) and the added cost in fuel which is not that much to quite honest.

If you are forking for the tech package, I would go for the AWD too at this point. it would make it a better seller down the road. If you went non tech, I'd say AWD could be left out but at this point, if you add tech, might as well go all out.

I will be looking forward to hearing your feedback after your test drive....
Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Scheduled a test drive with a local dealer for this Saturday. Judging by the feedback and the reviews on the net I'm almost certain we are going with the rdx. Wife is will to go along with it provided the test drive doesn't reveal any major issues.

We know the tech package is a must since we want the nav and power tailgate. The question now is whether we should get awd. Being in southern california we don't get any snow. Just about the only time it might come in handy is when we visit the national parks like Yosemite, Sequoia national park, and Crater Lake. I think most national parks have paved roads. Other than snow, rain, and unpaved roads does awd help in other conditions? Would it have any benefit on dry paved roads? I don't mind spending the extra $1300 if it has a tangible benefit. I heard with awd you have to replace all four tires if only one is damaged. Is that true?

Anyway the test drive will answer a lot of our questions. Around here the rdx is selling well. Hope the local dealers are willing to negotiated.
If I lived in So. Cal. I would skip the AWD. It's $1300 more up front, more maint over the long haul and will use a little more gas.

I live in Chicago area and really thought about getting the FWD but the RDX's that are shipped to this area about 5 to 1 AWD to FWD and the selection was limited. The vehicle I tradede had AWD, 4wd and 4wd/lo and I very rarely ever used it over ten years. It stayed in 2wd drive 99.99% of the time even with snow.

Whether you get the tech package or not should not influence your decision. Just because you load up the tech doesn't mean you have to load up the drivetrain as well especially in So. Cal.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Totally agree with Weather's comments above. I was also on the fence on AWD, having survived 25+ years of New England weather in RWD and FWD cars, never got stuck or had issues. Had weight and snow tires on the back in the RWDs, full snow's on the FWD. Roads are realistically plowed pretty well, so the true need for AWD is questionable. Had been looking at FWD Tech, and they were hard to come by -- in this area, the bulk of the RDX's come with AWD since that is what the market demands. I know some people that are convinced that one can't survive here without it....so much for the hardy New Englanders! But...plan on keeping this car a long time, that little extra piece of mind helps, and if I sell earlier than planned, AWD will go quicker than FWD. I also went with a hitch since it seemed it would be a handy feature at various points along the ownership experience, and snow tires all around. Figured I'm going the SUV route, want the full utility, even if it's used infrequently.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM
8th Gear

Did a test drive of an awd with tech yesterday. Everything went smoothly. I was impressed by how quiet the cabin was compared to my tsx. The steering was kind of light, almost like a lexus rx. The curved mirror took some getting used to. We brought the baby car seat and stroller with us. The rdx had plenty of room for them. We were quite happy with it.

I was ready to make a deal with the sales guy. But he was trying to pull a fast one and told me because of how well the rdx was selling he couldn't do anything better than msrp. I told him about all the deals I saw people getting on the internet. He said people make stuff up on the internet and those stories couldn't be trusted. At that point I politely thanked him for the test drive and went on home.

My wife saw some pictures of the 2014 mdx prototype after we got home and liked it a lot. She wants to wait a couple of months for more details of the next mdx. Frankly I thought that might not have been a bad idea. Acura already confirmed that the VCM will be on the new mdx as well. So its mpg will definitely be better than the current mdx. They are set to release the information about the new mdx interior by April. I think we'll just wait. If we don't see any feature that we really want on the new mdx we'll just get the rdx in April. Thanks to all of you who answered my questions. This is a great board and you guys have been really helpful. In the mean time I'll continue to check in here to see if there's any new developments on the rdx.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Thanks for coming back and providing the feedback on the test drive and on your decision process. Many people don't even bother coming back so it is refreshing and enjoyable to see an appreciative new Acurazine member On behalf of all my fella Acuraziner, a sincere thank you.

As far as your decision, it is a very sound decision in light of the soon to be released MDX. It should provide some nice goodies and things the RDX can't even touch, like the jewel eyes headlights, SH-AWD, adjustable passenger seat, lane avoidance etc.

That being said, the new MDX will be more expensive than the RDX but you will be paying for the extra features and being a brand new model, discounts will be scarce at first. The current MDX can be had for good incentives but you are getting an end of cycle model, although the design is still very nice and will continue to age very well.

Keep us in the loop and come and spend time with us between now and April

Cheers....
Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM
8th Gear

I'm not sure I like the jewel eyes headlights on the new mdx. It certainly looks different. Maybe it'll grow on me. The sh-awd would be nice although as I understand I'd have to take a hit on mpg if I went that route. If the VCM can help bring the mpg into the mid 20's then it might be worth considering.

In the end the biggest problem is parking. If I got the mdx I won't be able to park two cars in my garage anymore. I'm one of those owners who babies his cars so I don't like to park my cars on the driveway. With the rdx I can comfortable fit it in the garage along with my ct200h. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm still gonna get the rdx. We are just waiting a few months to see if the new details on mdx could change my mind.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
MDX is nice, as is the SH-AWD, but I have friends with the MDX that burn through tires, with this seemingly attributable to the SH-AWD. So in addition to the regular hit at the pump, you'll potetentially spend more on wear items like tires. Friends have also looked at my RDX and seem to be leaning towards this as they start thinking of replacing their MDX's. Think the trick is that it got a little bigger, narrowing the gap between the two, plus price, mileage and looks. Either would be a good option, but you might not need the size and $$ that the MDX brings.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In the end the biggest problem is parking. If I got the mdx I won't be able to park two cars in my garage anymore. I'm one of those owners who babies his cars so I don't like to park my cars on the driveway. With the rdx I can comfortable fit it in the garage along with my ct200h. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm still gonna get the rdx. We are just waiting a few months to see if the new details on mdx could change my mind.
I'm in the same boat as you. My #1 priority for my next car is that it has to fit into my side of the garage. I have about 191" to work with, but I want at least a couple of inches to spare in the front and back of the car. That's why for the same amount of money, I'd rather get an RDX than a mid-sized SUV/CUV.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM
10th Gear

My wife and I chose the RDX after an exhaustive search and drive of many different vehicles. We have two kids (7 and 5 months now), but bought the car just after our second child was born. This car has been great/easy for fitting a lot of different models of carseat (something that failed a few cars on our list) while still allowing a comfortable amount of leg room for my wife.