2017 Acura RDX - "Luxury" Compact SUV???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Acura RDX - "Luxury" Compact SUV???

Recently traded our 2013 RDX AWD TECH for a new 2017 AWD TECH. While we love the new RDX, we couldn't help but notice after purchasing that the 2017 has no carpeting in the passenger compartment!!!! Just that "felt" material similar to what they use in the exterior wheel wells, only hidden by the carpeted floor mats. This in a purported "LUXURY" SUV??? Balderdash for the price charged! Anyone else notice this?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I always considered Acura and Infinity more of a premium brand of Honda and Nissan respectively and not a true luxury brand.
The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (09-08-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 10:09 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by bmllr8
I always considered Acura and Infinity more of a premium brand of Honda and Nissan respectively and not a true luxury brand.
I agree.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by vetdude
Recently traded our 2013 RDX AWD TECH for a new 2017 AWD TECH. While we love the new RDX, we couldn't help but notice after purchasing that the 2017 has no carpeting in the passenger compartment!!!! Just that "felt" material similar to what they use in the exterior wheel wells, only hidden by the carpeted floor mats. This in a purported "LUXURY" SUV??? Balderdash for the price charged! Anyone else notice this?
Acura is not a luxury brand. They are a premium arm of a mainstream brand. With that being said, the RDX is the most cost cut Acura in the lineup currently. The glovebox and center console bin are also not lined with felt, the dash has too much plastic and the rear doors are almost fully made up of hard plastic where they should be soft touch like the front (the hyundai santa fe is at least soft on the back doors too). The next thing is that if you open the hood you will be greeted with a nice surprise which is the RDX uses the old style prop rod to keep the hood open and not automatic struts.

Acura yes, Infiniti no. IMHO. Have you sat in a qx70? Beautiful interior quality. I'd go
as far as saying better than anything in the Acura lineup and it's not even the flagship.
HotRodW (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I always thought if a manufacturer rolls out a valet worthy luxurious sedan, sit in back town car or touring class car then they will have proven to me a commitment to a very high level blend of comfort style and performance.

A loaded SUV, CUV or Truck are not what Id think of as luxury class vehicles...tho are very practical.
i can put mulch in the back and go out to a nice night on the town later.

The Japanese and recently Korean auto manufacturers still have yet to elevate their luxury offerings and because of regulations focus is now put on efficient economical vehicles...
the if you have to ask how much, high fuel and maintenance cost vehicles are becoming a thing of the past along with the 'me' generation.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:49 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
The next thing is that if you open the hood you will be greeted with a nice surprise which is the RDX uses the old style prop rod to keep the hood open and not automatic struts.
My 2016 RDX w/ Tech has automatic struts keeping the hood open. Not sure which model you're thinking of...maybe it was a change between '15 and '16?
Old 08-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by tsb8m
My 2016 RDX w/ Tech has automatic struts keeping the hood open. Not sure which model you're thinking of...maybe it was a change between '15 and '16?
We have them on our 16 RDX Advance as well. Before finding and buying the 2016, we looked at a couple of 2015's and they had the hood prop rod, so it may be a change between 15 and 16.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

Geesh. Premium, luxury, still no excuse for eliminating carpeting in tbe cabin .

2017 RDX has hood struts.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:52 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Geesh. Premium, luxury, still no excuse for eliminating carpeting in tbe cabin.
Not sure I follow. Can you post pix?
Old 08-30-2017, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

Acura yes, Infiniti no. IMHO. Have you sat in a qx70? Beautiful interior quality. I'd go
as far as saying better than anything in the Acura lineup and it's not even the flagship.
I'll admit I have not sat in an Infiniti in a few years, so maybe they have made improvements and hopefully Acura would follow suit eventually. My colleague from the UK refers to my car as a "tarted up Honda" which I don't think is quite right either.

Last edited by bmllr8; 08-30-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
We have them on our 16 RDX Advance as well. Before finding and buying the 2016, we looked at a couple of 2015's and they had the hood prop rod, so it may be a change between 15 and 16.
Then this was a change for 2016. The changes they made for the 2016 RDX really do go deep IMHO. It's like they completely re-evaluated the RDX in 2016.

I'll admit I have not sat in an Infiniti in a few years, so maybe they have made improvements and hopefully Acura would follow suit eventually. My colleague from the UK refers to my car as a "tarted up Honda" which I don't think is quite right either.
Trust me, go sit in one and you will be shocked at the quality content. I personally put them under mercedes and above BMW and Audi at the top. Also I tend to share your friends point of view to be honest but that isn't to say it's a terrible thing.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:06 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
well, I never plan on sitting in the back - just saying.....
Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Not sure I follow. Can you post pix?
When I get a chance. The best way to describe it - that felt like material that was used to line the trunks of cars. It is definitely not carpet.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

Tarted up with a 279hp V6 vs a 4 cyl and better handling anong other things.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Intermediate

Tarted up with a 279hp V6 vs a 4 cyl and better handling anong other things.
I agree that the engine and transmission are actually quite nice and the handling isn't bad for a family SUV. I saw another thread on here where several people were saying their transmission felt a bit clunky, but mine is quite the opposite. Also, that ELS sound system isn't too shabby either. While not a true luxury car in my book, I still feel that the RDX is a good compromise for those not wanting to spend BMW and Mercedes levels of money.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:20 AM
Intermediate

Then this was a change for 2016. The changes they made for the 2016 RDX really do go deep IMHO. It's like they completely re-evaluated the RDX in 2016.

Trust me, go sit in one and you will be shocked at the quality content. I personally put them under mercedes and above BMW and Audi at the top. Also I tend to share your friends point of view to be honest but that isn't to say it's a terrible thing.
Oh, I believe you. My wife has '16 Nissan Maxima Platinum and it feels a bit more plush and has technologically not even available on my '17 RDX, though I am sure Acura will catch up to everyone else with the next redesign. Heck, maybe they will even try to be a bit innovative next time around on their best selling vehicle.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Contrary to the experts on here, 'Consumer Reports' classifies the Acura RDX as a "LUXURY COMPACT SUV."
Old 08-31-2017, 12:40 PM
Racer

Contrary to the experts on here, 'Consumer Reports' classifies the Acura RDX as a "LUXURY COMPACT SUV."
If that makes you feel good but

"Automotive News breaks these down a little more formally, calling them the “Tier 1” group and the “Tier 2” group.

Tier 1 includes BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz. Tier 2 includes Lincoln, Acura, Cadillac, Infiniti and Audi.
If I were making the rules, I’d put Audi up in Tier 1, in my humble opinion, eclipsed the quality level of BMW.
The Tier 1 group continues to establish its dominance, while the Tier 2 group struggles to maintain relevance."

Last edited by colt427; 08-31-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:42 PM
Intermediate

Oh I never claimed to be an expert, just shared my unqualified opinion is all. I still enjoy the heck out of my RDX and consider it a good buy.
colt427 (08-31-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 04:56 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just get the factory all weather mats - you won't even notice
Old 09-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh, I believe you. My wife has '16 Nissan Maxima Platinum and it feels a bit more plush and has technologically not even available on my '17 RDX, though I am sure Acura will catch up to everyone else with the next redesign. Heck, maybe they will even try to be a bit innovative next time around on their best selling vehicle.
Oh yeah the new maxima is gorgeous inside and out. Really super luxurious feeling and made to compete with a class above. I also hope they take the RDX seriously as well.

Consumer reports is garbage. Acura is not a Luxury company, they are a premium company and that's not getting into semantics. Is it fair to call a range rover and mercedes s-class luxurious while also calling an RDX luxurious? Think about that for a minute.

Originally Posted by colt427
If that makes you feel good but

"Automotive News breaks these down a little more formally, calling them the “Tier 1” group and the “Tier 2” group.

Tier 1 includes BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz. Tier 2 includes Lincoln, Acura, Cadillac, Infiniti and Audi.
If I were making the rules, I’d put Audi up in Tier 1, in my humble opinion, eclipsed the quality level of BMW.
The Tier 1 group continues to establish its dominance, while the Tier 2 group struggles to maintain relevance."
This. But I break it down further and also putting audi as tier 2 is B.S.

Tier 1: BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Range Rover, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Porsche, Maserati.
Tier 2 : Infiniti, Cadillac, Genesis (for now).
Tier 3: Acura, Buick, Lincoln.

I get the feeling I'm missing one more brand here but I can't quite remember.
colt427 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
@rdx10 maybe Volvo or tesla?

I defer to Uber's definitions of tier type vehicles:

Uber Car Requirements ? Alvia
Old 09-01-2017, 05:00 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
True RDX10 but , it was the silky smooth V 6 and 6 speed trans that sold me .
Old 09-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by markordx
We enjoy our RDX. It has pluses and minuses,but in reality it is simply transportation to us. But if you actually think the 6 cyl and 6 speed in the RDX is silky smooth... ummm if you want to know what silky smooth is you should drive a 6 cyl toyota. Any 6 cyl toyota. THAT will give you an idea of what silky smooth is.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Himecraig
@rdx10 maybe Volvo or tesla?

I defer to Uber's definitions of tier type vehicles:

Uber Car Requirements ? Alvia
Thanks man, it was Volvo. The new Volvo is tier 1 to me.

Originally Posted by markordx
m

I think the RDX powertrain is smooth, but I personally would not call it silky.

Originally Posted by snorf
We enjoy our RDX. It has pluses and minuses,but in reality it is simply transportation to us. But if you actually think the 6 cyl and 6 speed in the RDX is silky smooth... ummm if you want to know what silky smooth is you should drive a 6 cyl toyota. Any 6 cyl toyota. THAT will give you an idea of what silky smooth is.

This.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you sat in a qx70? Beautiful interior quality. I'd go
It's also a lot more money.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts
You had me until this. I agree that new Volvos look like tier one luxury vehicles inside and out, but they do not measure up on the road. In the past year I've sampled the XC90 twice, the S90, and the V90 Cross Country. The reviews have been generally very good, so I keep going back thinking I'm missing something. And every time I walk away disappointed. The ride is flinty, and the 4-cylinder engine buzzes like, well, a 4-cylinder. And even with the supercharger for instant boost, turbo lag is mysteriously present. On top of the drivetrain disappointments, steering feel is mediocre, and I despise the lack of physical buttons for basic controls. Considering Volvo is now asking Benz prices, the vehicles just don't measure up. But that didn't stop me from trying to drive the new XC60 two weeks ago. Unfortunately, somebody put a deposit before I could get there, so I was only permitted to climb around the interior. Like every other SPA-based model, it is absolutely beautiful. And yet I know what will happen when/if I take one out for a test drive.

As for the RDX, it is a solid premium vehicle, but I wouldn't call it luxury. It's kind of a tweener in price, size and features, which I think has worked to its advantage to this point. But the new QX50 could pose a serious threat to the RDX. For the most part, I like the styling, and I'm intrigued (and frightened) by its variable compression engine, but I don't like the move to a FWD platform and CVT. We'll see how Infiniti prices it, but on paper it's mostly a compelling package.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by barnowl
It's also a lot more money.
The QX70 starts at 50k here. I was not comparing the qx70 to the RDX, I was comparing that 50k qx70 to ANYTHING in the Acura lineup like the 75k RLX and MDX.

Originally Posted by HotRodW
You had me until this. I agree that new Volvos look like tier one luxury vehicles inside and out, but they do not measure up on the road. In the past year I've sampled the XC90 twice, the S90, and the V90 Cross Country. The reviews have been generally very good, so I keep going back thinking I'm missing something. And every time I walk away disappointed. The ride is flinty, and the 4-cylinder engine buzzes like, well, a 4-cylinder. And even with the supercharger for instant boost, turbo lag is mysteriously present. On top of the drivetrain disappointments, steering feel is mediocre, and I despise the lack of physical buttons for basic controls. Considering Volvo is now asking Benz prices, the vehicles just don't measure up. But that didn't stop me from trying to drive the new XC60 two weeks ago. Unfortunately, somebody put a deposit before I could get there, so I was only permitted to climb around the interior. Like every other SPA-based model, it is absolutely beautiful. And yet I know what will happen when/if I take one out for a test drive.

As for the RDX, it is a solid premium vehicle, but I wouldn't call it luxury. It's kind of a tweener in price, size and features, which I think has worked to its advantage to this point. But the new QX50 could pose a serious threat to the RDX. For the most part, I like the styling, and I'm intrigued (and frightened) by its variable compression engine, but I don't like the move to a FWD platform and CVT. We'll see how Infiniti prices it, but on paper it's mostly a compelling package.

When I brought up Volvo (and actually any of these brands) I was speaking more from a brand recognition perspective moreso than specifically about the brands if that makes sense. Like I was trying to say where I beleive these brands land on the scale in terms of public perspective. I've seen it all over the internet and heard it first hand how the XC90 for example is nicer than an X5 or range rover so that is why I put volvo as tier 1.

But I will say that I am surprised you found the rides to be flinty. In any review ever all you read/hear is that the ride is like a pillow because of air suspension...etc. However something I did find very strange is that the rear suspension uses a transverse leaf spring...that's so odd and I would never have expected that in a modern luxury vehicle. In terms of the engine, yes 100%. I don't know what they were thinking with an all I4 lineup. I don't care that it is turbocharged AND supercharged. It's still an I4 meant to pilot a 5000 pound vehicle in some cases. I'm also not sold on the T8 models because I feel they won't last long. Also just think about a turbo and supercharged (relatively) small engine that has to push around so many thousands of pounds for thousands of miles. Recipe for disaster IMO.

I like that new QX50 concept. However I feel the move from concept to production model will see it lose a lot of it's good looks in favour of typical already aged the second it's produced infinity styling. I heard they were moving to FWD but I did not hear about that CVT. Nissan has no non-CVT transmissions for FWD based vehicles (well other than the 4 speed auto in the micra) currently so it makes sense but I severely hope not. Also that variable compression stuff just seems like making somthing complex for the sake of it. I.e the wankel engine.

Last edited by RDX10; 09-03-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

But I will say that I am surprised you found the rides to be flinty. In any review ever all you read/hear is that the ride is like a pillow because of air suspension...etc. However something I did find very strange is that the rear suspension uses a transverse leaf spring...that's so odd and I would never have expected that in a modern luxury vehicle.

I like that new QX50 concept. However I feel the move from concept to production model will see it lose a lot of it's good looks in favour of typical already aged the second it's produced infinity styling. I heard they were moving to FWD but I did not hear about that CVT. Nissan has no non-CVT transmissions for FWD based vehicles (well other than the 4 speed auto in the micra) currently so it makes sense but I severely hope not. Also that variable compression stuff just seems like making somthing complex for the sake of it. I.e the wankel engine.
Like most manufacturers, I think Volvo was careful to arrange media days where the roads were ultra smooth. But some who have driven the cars on real U.S. roads have observed ride comfort issues, like Car and Driver, for example, commenting on the S90:

"Handling is surefooted and lends a sportiness that the Genesis G80 and the Mercedes-Benz E300 lack. The trade-off is a ride that hardly feels like terry cloth, let alone velvet, and rough stretches of road transmit more vibrations into the cabin than in the softly sprung G80 and E300, particularly when the S90 is wearing the optional 20-inch wheels."

Or from US News on the XC90:

"Handling is a bit of a mixed bag for the XC90. On the plus side, this crossover SUV feels stable and composed, with easy steering and very little body roll. However, the ride quality isn't as smooth as you may want from a luxury SUV ..."

That was my impression, too. I Avoiding the upsized wheel options helps, as does the optional air suspension - especially on the XC90, but even then the ride isn't creamy like the MDX Sport Hybrid or MKX. The V90 CC was my favorite, but it certainly didn't feel like a $70k luxury car.

Spy photos indicate the production QX50 won't deviate too far from the concept. It will have door handles, of course, and reasonably sized wheels, but many of the concept's design cues appear to be intact.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Like most manufacturers, I think Volvo was careful to arrange media days where the roads were ultra smooth. But some who have driven the cars on real U.S. roads have observed ride comfort issues, like Car and Driver, for example, commenting on the S90:

"Handling is surefooted and lends a sportiness that the Genesis G80 and the Mercedes-Benz E300 lack. The trade-off is a ride that hardly feels like terry cloth, let alone velvet, and rough stretches of road transmit more vibrations into the cabin than in the softly sprung G80 and E300, particularly when the S90 is wearing the optional 20-inch wheels."

Or from US News on the XC90:

"Handling is a bit of a mixed bag for the XC90. On the plus side, this crossover SUV feels stable and composed, with easy steering and very little body roll. However, the ride quality isn't as smooth as you may want from a luxury SUV ..."

That was my impression, too. I Avoiding the upsized wheel options helps, as does the optional air suspension - especially on the XC90, but even then the ride isn't creamy like the MDX Sport Hybrid or MKX. The V90 CC was my favorite, but it certainly didn't feel like a $70k luxury car.

Spy photos indicate the production QX50 won't deviate too far from the concept. It will have door handles, of course, and reasonably sized wheels, but many of the concept's design cues appear to be intact.

Actually now that you mention it I also watched a couple reviews a while back and it was mentioned that the ride was a little stiff as well. That's not good, especially not in a luxury vehicle. I think volvo made a HUGE jump but I still think they have a lot of work to do in some areas. The Germans are still way ahead when it comes to delivering luxury IMHO.

I have not seen those spy pics yet, I'm so excited right now to see the production version. But I am really hoping you are wrong about the CVT, though it makes the most sense. I at least hope they use a trick AWD system with sport diffs and not some crappy part time AWD system with a clutch pack.

Side note, since you have tested a lot of vehicles. Have you had a chance to try out the Jag F-Pace? I'm curious what you have to say on that, oh and in terms of the MKX, does it handle well or is it still the same mushy mess from 2007-2014?
Old 09-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Actually now that you mention it I also watched a couple reviews a while back and it was mentioned that the ride was a little stiff as well. That's not good, especially not in a luxury vehicle. I think volvo made a HUGE jump but I still think they have a lot of work to do in some areas. The Germans are still way ahead when it comes to delivering luxury IMHO.

I have not seen those spy pics yet, I'm so excited right now to see the production version. But I am really hoping you are wrong about the CVT, though it makes the most sense. I at least hope they use a trick AWD system with sport diffs and not some crappy part time AWD system with a clutch pack.

Side note, since you have tested a lot of vehicles. Have you had a chance to try out the Jag F-Pace? I'm curious what you have to say on that, oh and in terms of the MKX, does it handle well or is it still the same mushy mess from 2007-2014?
I don't like the idea of the CVT either. But they feel it's appropriate for the QX60, and since they don't have another transverse gearbox, I can't imagine another option unless they borrow one from Benz.

We tested the F-Pace when we were shopping for a replacement for my wife's Q5. It didn't feel as potent as the numbers suggest, but it was still plenty powerful. Maybe our test sample was just a little green yet. The engine was a bit coarse, but it had nice linear power delivery and offered a great ride/handling compromise. The quality of the interior was a little disappointing, but I guess they had to cut the budget somewhere. It doesn't feel it on the road, but it is a WIDE car! For comparison, the RDX is 73.7" wide, the MKX is 76.1" wide, and the published width of the F-Pace is 81.5"(!). An F-150 is 79.9". My wife didn't like the width, she hated the high sills, and she couldn't find a comfortable driving position. Needless to say, it didn't make the cut.

I didn't get the MKX on a twisty road, but it felt very composed on the aggressive on-ramp charges when in Sport mode. I live on the highway, and that's where the MKX shines. It offers an ultra comfortable ride without being floaty, and the acoustic glass paired with active noise cancellation makes for a very quiet place to log miles. I was quite impressed.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't like the idea of the CVT either. But they feel it's appropriate for the QX60, and since they don't have another transverse gearbox, I can't imagine another option unless they borrow one from Benz.

We tested the F-Pace when we were shopping for a replacement for my wife's Q5. It didn't feel as potent as the numbers suggest, but it was still plenty powerful. Maybe our test sample was just a little green yet. The engine was a bit coarse, but it had nice linear power delivery and offered a great ride/handling compromise. The quality of the interior was a little disappointing, but I guess they had to cut the budget somewhere. It doesn't feel it on the road, but it is a WIDE car! For comparison, the RDX is 73.7" wide, the MKX is 76.1" wide, and the published width of the F-Pace is 81.5"(!). An F-150 is 79.9". My wife didn't like the width, she hated the high sills, and she couldn't find a comfortable driving position. Needless to say, it didn't make the cut.

I didn't get the MKX on a twisty road, but it felt very composed on the aggressive on-ramp charges when in Sport mode. I live on the highway, and that's where the MKX shines. It offers an ultra comfortable ride without being floaty, and the acoustic glass paired with active noise cancellation makes for a very quiet place to log miles. I was quite impressed.
They did pair up with mitsubishi recently and mitsubishi does have a stout 6 DCT, it's not hard to beleive Nissan could stretch that to 7-8 gears no? Mitsubishi does have that FWD CLA don't they? That's another option too.

My biggest peeve with the F-Pace is interior quality. TONS of cheap and crappy hard plastic everywhere and I personally don't see why they had to make that compromise. It gets upto 80k in Canada. At that price point everything else has a MUCH nicer interior and I can get a fairly loaded X5 for that money with a much higher quality interior. I have to be honest, I didn't beleive you when you said 81.5" wide because my MDX was 78.5 inches wide and I thought that it was absolutely ridiculously wide as it is. The MDX was 3-4" wider than my previous X5 and I thought it was too wide. Parking it was a nightmare because a lot of parking spaces really aren't meant for cars wider than roughly 73". I imagine that F-Pace is door ding central after a few months. Just wow I'm still so shocked at how wide it is!

I have yet to take the new MKX for a test drive but it is on the to do list. They have an adaptive suspension IIRC so I'm sure in sport mode the MKX does pretty well
for itself. Fingers crossed they update that 6AT for an 8AT, swap out the 2.7 for the 3.0 and swap out the AWD for the twin clutch system. That would be my perfect car then. I can see 0-60 dropping to high 4's. Also I love the jekyl and hyde personality, super quiet and smooth when you want it and powerful and well controlled when you need it.

Last edited by RDX10; 09-04-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

They did pair up with mitsubishi recently and mitsubishi does have a stout 6 DCT, it's not hard to beleive Nissan could stretch that to 7-8 gears no? Mitsubishi does have that FWD CLA don't they? That's another option too.

My biggest peeve with the F-Pace is interior quality. TONS of cheap and crappy hard plastic everywhere and I personally don't see why they had to make that compromise. It gets upto 80k in Canada. At that price point everything else has a MUCH nicer interior and I can get a fairly loaded X5 for that money with a much higher quality interior. I have to be honest, I didn't beleive you when you said 81.5" wide because my MDX was 78.5 inches wide and I thought that it was absolutely ridiculously wide as it is. The MDX was 3-4" wider than my previous X5 and I thought it was too wide. Parking it was a nightmare because a lot of parking spaces really aren't meant for cars wider than roughly 73". I imagine that F-Pace is door ding central after a few months. Just wow I'm still so shocked at how wide it is!

I have yet to take the new MKX for a test drive but it is on the to do list. They have an adaptive suspension IIRC so I'm sure in sport mode the MKX does pretty well
for itself. Fingers crossed they update that 6AT for an 8AT, swap out the 2.7 for the 3.0 and swap out the AWD for the twin clutch system. That would be my perfect car then. I can see 0-60 dropping to high 4's. Also I love the jekyl and hyde personality, super quiet and smooth when you want it and powerful and well controlled when you need it.
If Lincoln makes those changes for 2019, it will likely be my next car, too. It's already damn good as it is. We'll probably see the mid-cycle refresh in Detroit in January. By then we'll know more about the RDX. As much as I like the MDX Sport Hybrid, I just don't think I can live with the infotainment system, and it's not likely to change until the next full redesign.

Nissan/Infiniti seems determined to make the CVT work on any FWD model engineered in-house. I think the QX30 is the exception because it's a Benz platform with a Benz powertrain.

Speaking of the QX50, I found the photo I was looking for earlier. You can clearly see the body lines are virtually identical to the concept's. Even the wheel design is the same.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:25 AM
3rd Gear

I think the RDX powertrain is smooth, but I personally would not call it silky..
Technically Acura is considered lux brand in US. This classification changes with country, in China ( worlds largest car market) Acura is considered high end lux brand because they are mostly imported there ( see how much rdx costs there). Interesting enough Buick are considered to be luxury brand in China and have command higher prestige than Audi.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:31 AM
Advanced

We just bought my wife a 2018 VW Tiguan SEL Premium and everything about it is more luxurious than our 2013 RDX besides the motor. I think Acura would be wise to keep the V6 because that is the one HUGE advantage they have over the competition. We kept the RDX and I'm going to continue to drive it.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by buzzdsm
We just bought my wife a 2018 VW Tiguan SEL Premium and everything about it is more luxurious than our 2013 RDX besides the motor. I think Acura would be wise to keep the V6 because that is the one HUGE advantage they have over the competition. We kept the RDX and I'm going to continue to drive it.

Now that the Tiguan is bigger and looks great, I'm definitely interested at my lease end.
I'm not worried about the so called German quality issues as the Tiguan will be in basic warranty in the lease term.
I haven't driven one but I assume it has that German type great handling.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Advanced

I can't say that the handling is any better than the RDX but if I wanted handling I wouldn't have bought an SUV. I do like that VW now has a 6 year 72k mile warranty.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Congrats! I was disappointed in the new Tiguan myself, but I'm glad it suits your needs. It's a good looking car with a simple, intuitive center stack and a great warranty.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Advanced

One thing I really loved about the interior was the 12.3" all digital cockpit. It has like 5 different views that are very customization. The adaptive cruise and lane departure is also worlds better than the 2011 Infiniti M56x that I was driving before. I guess 7 years makes a big difference. If I could add the tech of the VW to our 2013 RDX, it would be perfect for me.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Racer

One thing I really loved about the interior was the 12.3" all digital cockpit. It has like 5 different views that are very customization. The adaptive cruise and lane departure is also worlds better than the 2011 Infiniti M56x that I was driving before. I guess 7 years makes a big difference. If I could add the tech of the VW to our 2013 RDX, it would be perfect for me.

Wow,that's great too!