2016 RDX Elite vs Mercedes ML350. What is luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
2016 RDX Elite vs Mercedes ML350. What is luxury?

So I rode in a Mercedes ML350 today. This vehicle is probably $80-$90,000 or so at purchase. Most, if not everyone, would agree that the Mercedes ML350 is considered a luxury vehicle. So from my ride, in my head I compared it to the 2016 RDX Elite fully loadedn.

-The Mercedes is a bigger vehicle YET the RDX cabin feels similarly or slightly more spacious
-When going over bumps on the road, the Mercedes is more jarring. The 2016 RDX goes noticeably smoother over bumps
-The Mercedes Cabin is slightly more quiet
-The sound system (based on quality of sound/music from a CD playing in the Mercedes) in the 2016 RDX is equal to or better than the Mercedes despite the Mercedes seemingly bigger looking speakers and maybe more speakers not sure
-The seats in the 2016 RDX are considerably more comfortable--softer, better quality leather. This difference kind of surprised me
-The dash material is similar, both with the same soft touch materials. The metallic portion of the dash, the material is exactly like in the 2016 RDX (I touched it to make sure). The RDX has more metallic material, the Mercedes has more wood.
-The Mercedes has one screen big infotainment system. RDX has two big screens.
-The inside of the doors: both have the same soft touch materials. The Mercedes has wood on the inside of the doors. The controls for the seats are on the doors of the Mercedes. Controls are on the seats for the RDX. Mercedes door has 3 numbered buttons (driver seat memory?) vs 2 for RDX
-The RDX has one moon roof. The Mercedes has two (one for 2nd row).
-The ceiling of the Mercedes is made of a weird material, looks kind of like women's nylons. The RDX ceiling looks and feels higher quality.
-The acceleration of the RDX is faster
-The handling (turning around corners, U turns) feels similar
-RDX has more advanced headlights (Jewel Eyes, LED)
-RDX has more sensors (front and back detects cars and pedestrians) as far as I can tell
-Backup camera is similar but RDX has better detection as far as I can tell. In the RDX you can view navigation map or other info on the top screen while backup camera shows on the bottom screen. In the Mercedes this is impossible since it has only one screen.
-The 2016 RDX Elite has auto dimming mirrors. The Mercedes might but I didn't notice it dimming
-The RDX has wide angle driver side mirror. I did not notice this on the Mercedes, though the Mercedes side mirrors are slightly larger

Conclusion: The 2016 RDX Elite is better than the Mercedes in most areas. If the Mercedes is considered a luxury vehicle, the RDX must also be.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I see you're reading the brochure's of each vehicle again....
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
2012wagon (09-30-2015), Franchise1124 (10-02-2015), rossv1 (10-01-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
I hope you wiped your feet after getting out of the Mercedes and that you did not let Mercedes dirt contaminate your RDX.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
Okay here is my two cents;

I worked at an Audi dealership and we also owned a BMW & Porsche dealership. So with comparative SUV's to the RDX, I got the chance to drive the Q5 in 2.0T & 3.0T(very rare) formats in many trim levels, SQ5, BMW X3 28i fully spec'd out & Porsche Macan (normal & S).

If we were taking the most relative of the two which is the Q5 & X3. My problem with the Q5 is that the materials in the cabin are cheap as hell unless you get it fully loaded to the brim with all the nice leather & S-Line package. The 2.0T is a shitty engine. I hate it, my coworkers hate it. Its buzzy, unrefined & drinks a lot of gas and oil. The cars ride quality is good though even if you get the bigger wheels. The only way I would go with the Q5 if it had the 3.0T motor which is a phenomenal motor & much better than the J-Series in the RDX in terms of feel, refinement & sound. The X3 I drove was disappointing. The 28i motor is again another whatever motor, nothing inspiring out of it and sounds like crap. The interior of the X3 was very nice since it had the M-package though the ergonomics of the cabin were poor. In terms of comfort it sucked since it had the optional 19s with run-flats & "sport" suspension which I think are to blame. I was really surprised when I test drove an RDX for the first time in how well put together the car was, how well the motor performed, the car handled & the price. Another moving factor was the fact that its just stone-dead reliable compared to the other two vehicles.

Now the Macan on the other hand, bra-fucking-vo Porsche. Just a sublime vehicle. Even the base-model has top notch materials & I would get it in a heartbeat if I had the money.

Last edited by mtiaz; 09-30-2015 at 01:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mtiaz:
Comfy (10-04-2015), hand-filer (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
I think the ML (GLE for 2016) is more in the realm of the MDX, RX, and X5. The ML is taller, wider, longer, has a longer wheelbase, and weighs 600 pounds more than a RDX.

Also, the Mercedes offers 6 engine options, including diesel and hybrid drivetrains, compared to just the 3.5 V6 offered with the RDX. The basic V6 in the Benz offers 23 more horsepower and 22 more lb/ft of torque. The Mercedes also offers 12 more cubic feet of cargo volume and can tow up to 6600 pounds compared to the 1500 pounds from the RDX.

Just because they are SUVs doesn't mean they can be compared fairly
The following 2 users liked this post by CLtotheTL32:
justnspace (09-30-2015), mtiaz (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mtiaz
Now the Macan on the other hand, bra-fucking-vo Porsche. Just a sublime vehicle. Even the base-model has top notch materials & I would get it in a heartbeat if I had the money.
To me the the Macan and Cayenne are so elegantly styled. While other makers are leaning towards over-styling (esp. Lexus for example), the Porsches are refreshingly understated, IMO.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 09-30-2015 at 02:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jakes_tl (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 03:24 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyboy
So I rode in a Mercedes ML350 today. This vehicle is probably $80-$90,000 or so at purchase. Most, if not everyone, would agree that the Mercedes ML350 is considered a luxury vehicle. So from my ride, in my head I compared it to the 2016 RDX Elite fully loadedn.

-The Mercedes is a bigger vehicle YET the RDX cabin feels similarly or slightly more spacious
-When going over bumps on the road, the Mercedes is more jarring. The 2016 RDX goes noticeably smoother over bumps
-The Mercedes Cabin is slightly more quiet
-The sound system (based on quality of sound/music from a CD playing in the Mercedes) in the 2016 RDX is equal to or better than the Mercedes despite the Mercedes seemingly bigger looking speakers and maybe more speakers not sure That's right. I forgot. Bigger must be better
-The seats in the 2016 RDX are considerably more comfortable--softer, better quality leather. This difference kind of surprised me The ML you rode in probably had MB-Tex, so the RDX would have better leather
-The dash material is similar, both with the same soft touch materials. The metallic portion of the dash, the material is exactly like in the 2016 RDX (I touched it to make sure). Whooo - you touched it.The RDX has more metallic material, the Mercedes has more wood. Actually, the Mercedes HAS wood, while the Acura has an applique
-The Mercedes has one screen big infotainment system. RDX has two big screens. And two is always better than one even if it leads to confusion
-The inside of the doors: both have the same soft touch materials. The Mercedes has wood on the inside of the doors. The controls for the seats are on the doors of the Mercedes. Controls are on the seats for the RDX. Mercedes door has 3 numbered buttons (driver seat memory?) vs 2 for RDX
-The RDX has one moon roof. The Mercedes has two (one for 2nd row).
-The ceiling of the Mercedes is made of a weird material, looks kind of like women's nylons. The RDX ceiling looks and feels higher quality.
-The acceleration of the RDX is faster Really? I guess it depends on the engine
-The handling (turning around corners, U turns) feels similar
-RDX has more advanced headlights (Jewel Eyes, LED)And why are the jewel eyes more advanced? The GLE has adaptive LEDs with highbeam assist - both features completely unavailable in the RDX
-RDX has more sensors (front and back detects cars and pedestrians) as far as I can tell Really? The RDX has pedestrian detection? I'm glad I'm not a pedestrian in your neck of the woods. However, real pedestrian detection is available on the GLE (the 2016 equiv of the ML) and most other Mercedes vehicles
-Backup camera is similar but RDX has better detection as far as I can tell. In the RDX you can view navigation map or other info on the top screen while backup camera shows on the bottom screen. In the Mercedes this is impossible since it has only one screen. Very important to view the navigation map while backing up.
-The 2016 RDX Elite has auto dimming mirrors. The Mercedes might but I didn't notice it dimming I have a brain. You might have one but I don't notice it working.
-The RDX has wide angle driver side mirror. I did not notice this on the Mercedes, though the Mercedes side mirrors are slightly larger

Conclusion: The 2016 RDX Elite is better than the Mercedes in most areas. If the Mercedes is considered a luxury vehicle, the RDX must also be.
Sigh. You might actually be a nice kid but you act like a total ass when you post this kind of drivel.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
lol not sure if serious?

I'm glad you really like your RDX...I like mine too. Making comparisons to other vehicles actually makes your car look worse to other people.

No offense to anyone on here...the first thing most Hyundai and Kia drivers do is try to prove to other people how good their vehicle is compared to others. Don't do that to your RDX. Don't be that guy.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Guys, quit feeding the troll. Seriously.
2012wagon (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Guys, quit feeding the troll. Seriously.
But he's hungry...
Old 09-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

Sometimes starvation is a necessary evil
Old 09-30-2015, 04:34 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Rockyboy........put down the crack pipe. You are comparing apples and oranges. The ML350 can be had for the mid $50's any day of the week. It may not have the same thin skinned leather as the RDX, but it does have a thicker upholstery material. It won't wear through like the RDX crap. Someone just leaned against my thin steel RDX fender, and now I need a company like Dent Wizard to fix a pushed in front fender. Look at the gauge steel used on the Mercedes body panels......no comparison. The ML350 is much quieter than the RDX. The real test is five years down the road and see what the re-sale value is. You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground about cars.
2012wagon (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 04:38 PM
Team Owner

Don't feed the troll, I said... And no one listened.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by rosen39
Rockyboy........put down the crack pipe.
Now I understand what is going on here guys. Rockboy probably has this same setup in his luxury RDX

Old 09-30-2015, 05:14 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Based upon Rockyboy's comparison I am glad I got the RDX. The selling point to me in the comparison is that I can see the navigation while I am backing up. I find it useful whenever I drive someplace in reverse. LOL.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Sigh. You might actually be a nice kid but you act like a total ass when you post this kind of drivel.
Isn't there a Honda ricer club you can join and get the F outta here?
Old 09-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Rockyboy be high....high.....high
Attached Thumbnails 2016 RDX Elite vs Mercedes ML350. What is luxury?-unknown.jpeg  
Old 09-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
-Backup camera is similar but RDX has better detection as far as I can tell. In the RDX you can view navigation map or other info on the top screen while backup camera shows on the bottom screen.
I haven't been able to get my RDX to do that. When I place the shifter into reverse, my map display in the upper screen disappears and is replaced with the view from the camera. Since I have the Elite, the warning indicators from the front and rear bumper sensors are also overlayed onto the camera display.

Can you tell me how you got the camera to display on the lower screen. As someone else said, I would like to see where I am when backing up.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Burning Brakes

I will check again. Maybe mine is like yours gonna double check tomorrow

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I haven't been able to get my RDX to do that. When I place the shifter into reverse, my map display in the upper screen disappears and is replaced with the view from the camera. Since I have the Elite, the warning indicators from the front and rear bumper sensors are also overlayed onto the camera display.

Can you tell me how you got the camera to display on the lower screen. As someone else said, I would like to see where I am when backing up.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:08 AM
Burning Brakes

The RDX has the best resale value in its class. But why resell? You can drive it 10+ years easy

Originally Posted by rosen39
Rockyboy........put down the crack pipe. You are comparing apples and oranges. The ML350 can be had for the mid $50's any day of the week. It may not have the same thin skinned leather as the RDX, but it does have a thicker upholstery material. It won't wear through like the RDX crap. Someone just leaned against my thin steel RDX fender, and now I need a company like Dent Wizard to fix a pushed in front fender. Look at the gauge steel used on the Mercedes body panels......no comparison. The ML350 is much quieter than the RDX. The real test is five years down the road and see what the re-sale value is. You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground about cars.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, some people were claiming the RDX is little different than a Honda (e.g CRV) so I developed a way to prove their assertion is false. That way was to compare it to the Mercedes. Since no one denies the Mercedes is a luxury vehicle, by logical deduction through our comparison, the 2016 RDX is also in the luxury class since it is equal to or better than the Mercedes in most areas.

Originally Posted by S1LV3R-S4MUR41
lol not sure if serious?

I'm glad you really like your RDX...I like mine too. Making comparisons to other vehicles actually makes your car look worse to other people.

No offense to anyone on here...the first thing most Hyundai and Kia drivers do is try to prove to other people how good their vehicle is compared to others. Don't do that to your RDX. Don't be that guy.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:50 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts

Since rocky is still in grade school, he doesn't have a RDX except in 1/24th scale. At that scale it is hard to see which screen is which.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

I think mine is like yours actually. The point is it has two big screens which is advantageous over the one that other vehicles like the Mercedes has. You get more info and more controls at the same time.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Humorous post. The RDX is a fine vehicle, I used to have a 2014 AWD. It had some issues
and I got something I liked better. To compare it to a Mercedes is ludicrous. The RDX is a great value, the primary reason I got one, but it is not a luxury vehicle.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by madden
Humorous post. The RDX is a fine vehicle, I used to have a 2014 AWD. It had some issues
and I got something I liked better. To compare it to a Mercedes is ludicrous. The RDX is a great value, the primary reason I got one, but it is not a luxury vehicle.
What did you replace your RDX with?
Old 10-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Team Owner

I think mine is like yours actually. The point is it has two big screens which is advantageous over the one that other vehicles like the Mercedes has. You get more info and more controls at the same time.
Soooo distracted driving? Especially when reversing?
Old 10-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
In the RDX you can view navigation map or other info on the top screen while backup camera shows on the bottom screen
Waiting on this one RB.....
Old 10-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
What did you replace your RDX with?
A Volvo V60 Polestar. It starts out as a fully load V60RD and then Polestar(Volvo's racing division) adds 254 Polestar specific parts, Ohlins suspension, bigger turbo, huge Brembo brakes,
larger FMIC, Ferrita active exhaust(flaps open when in sport mode) stiffer bushings, thicker sway bars, drive train tweaks, you can set the AWD for rear wheel bias, 20" wheels, etc. It is truly an amazing car, the best handling car I have ever driven. Very limited edition.
2012wagon (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Sounds amazing

Did you get the blue polestar
?!
Old 10-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Isn't that a wagon though? How much did it cost?

Originally Posted by madden
A Volvo V60 Polestar. It starts out as a fully load V60RD and then Polestar(Volvo's racing division) adds 254 Polestar specific parts, Ohlins suspension, bigger turbo, huge Brembo brakes,
larger FMIC, Ferrita active exhaust(flaps open when in sport mode) stiffer bushings, thicker sway bars, drive train tweaks, you can set the AWD for rear wheel bias, 20" wheels, etc. It is truly an amazing car, the best handling car I have ever driven. Very limited edition.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:50 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, some people were claiming the RDX is little different than a Honda (e.g CRV) so I developed a way to prove their assertion is false. That way was to compare it to the Mercedes. Since no one denies the Mercedes is a luxury vehicle, by logical deduction through our comparison, the 2016 RDX is also in the luxury class since it is equal to or better than the Mercedes in most areas.
Not sure why it matters so much to you what others think about your vehicle. As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:23 AM

Not sure why it matters so much to you what others think about your vehicle.
Because 16 year old boy who stole daddy's keys
Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Sounds amazing

Did you get the blue polestar
?!
No, I took the only one available, black sapphire metallic. The wagons sold out in one day, I did not have a choice. I felt fortunate to even get one. They were a bargain in the US compared to much of the rest of the world.
The following 2 users liked this post by madden:
2012wagon (10-02-2015), VR1 (10-03-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SgtSir440
Now I understand what is going on here guys. Rockboy probably has this same setup in his luxury RDX

Old 10-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Comparing a 2016 RDX Elite vs Mercedes ML350?

Old 10-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

It matters to some extent just like what you wear or your hairstyle, etc. You want others to enjoy looking at or riding your vehicle also. I wouldn't feel that great riding in a Cherry or Tata Nano, for example.

Not sure why it matters so much to you what others think about your vehicle. As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2015, 04:50 PM

because you are 16.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
because you are 16.
And doesn't realize the ML is a bit outdated. Let's not mention the new GLE or the AMG version. Might have to change his diaper.