2016 MMY update, what power-train(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
2016 MMY update, what power-train(s)?

Sounds as though there will be a Mid Model Year update for 2016 model and sounds as though the Advance package will be added - great news!

Questions and what are your thoughts/predictions?

Will the current multi-point fuel injected engine be replaced by Direct Injection?
Will we see the return of SH-AWD?
6SPD transmission or the 9SPD the new TLX V6 is getting?

I would like to see the TLX 3.5 power train and 9SPD w/Advance package be available for the 2016 RDX! I am ready to put my deposit down to get one of the 1st ones!

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 04-21-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
Sounds as though there will be a Mid Model Year update for 2016 model and sounds as though the Advance package will be added - great news!

Questions and what are your thoughts/predictions?

Will the current multi-point fuel injected engine be replaced by Direct Injection?
Will we see the return of SH-AWD?
6SPD transmission or the 9SPD the new TLX V6 is getting?

I would like to see the TLX 3.5 power train and 9SPD w/Advance package be available for the 2016 RDX! I am ready to put my deposit down to get one of the 1st ones!
I will trade in mine if this is really the case.. It's going to hurt the MDX sales though.

there's leak somewhere mentioned in the TLX forum. it will have blind spot monitoring, rear-vent and some techs from MDX. no sh-awd mentioned, and i don't see it being avail in 2016 too.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
from a business perspective they need to look at the sum of the parts and not each model individually.

If they decide not to make an update to the RDX because it may take sales away from the MDX that may be a poor decision.

They may sell more total vehicles with an RDX update then if not because without the update they may lose customers to other brands. It is better to keep customers in the brand. Yes some customers will buy an RDX instead of an MDX but it is better than a customer buying a Cherokee, Escape, or NX instead of an Acura.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think that as long as a fully loaded RDX doesn't go to far past the MDX starting point there won't be a lot of lost sales. Right now a totally basic '14 MDX is 43k and a '15 AWD Tech RDX is 41k. They could easily go up to 43 without much issue at all on the RDX.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:28 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
The 2015's aren't out yet and there is speculation on the 2016's...

Honda/Acura is traditionally very quiet about upcoming models. The TLX (replacement for the TL/TSX) was rumored for a few years but the first specifics (powertrain etc.) first leaked a few months and the car was first shown at the NY auto show. That will be a 2015.

It is much too early to speculate about the 2016 RDX. Anyone who says "I heard it'll have xyz" clearly is smoking stuff legal only in Colorado.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
The 2015's aren't out yet and there is speculation on the 2016's...

Honda/Acura is traditionally very quiet about upcoming models. The TLX (replacement for the TL/TSX) was rumored for a few years but the first specifics (powertrain etc.) first leaked a few months and the car was first shown at the NY auto show. That will be a 2015.

It is much too early to speculate about the 2016 RDX. Anyone who says "I heard it'll have xyz" clearly is smoking stuff legal only in Colorado.
May want to rethink that ceb. An active credible forum member who works for an Acura dealership was at a seminar to learn about the TLX and was told this by some Acura corp. folks.

BTW, if the RDX does not get the goodies the MDX and accord already have, honda will certainly loose me as a longtime customer, they need to do this just to compete (think Audi, Lexus, BMW & MB), heck even my company vehicle Ford Escape has these goodies, come on Honda, the current RDX while nice does not even match the competition of who they want to compete with, aka the Germans and Lexus, they are not even competing with the Accord, Ford and the Koreans which is pathetic. Certainly not the Honda I was brought up on.

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 04-22-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Honda has never competed on a "who has the most blinky lights & fancy tech" basis. If you think this will change, you're getting your hopes up for no reason.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:44 PM
'16 FBP Advance FWD

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
May want to rethink that ceb. An active credible forum member who works for an Acura dealership was at a seminar to learn about the TLX and was told this by some Acura corp. folks
If I'm dense then pardon me, but are you referring to yourself or some other forum member? If it was someone else, was this information posted elsewhere?

I've been on the fence with the RDX for over a year now, and since there's been no changes between the 2013 and 2015 models I'm either going to wait until the 2016 comes out or start looking at other brands.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kfhughes
If I'm dense then pardon me, but are you referring to yourself or some other forum member? If it was someone else, was this information posted elsewhere?

I've been on the fence with the RDX for over a year now, and since there's been no changes between the 2013 and 2015 models I'm either going to wait until the 2016 comes out or start looking at other brands.
Play with the TLX first, then switch to 2016 RDX if you like it.
The following users liked this post:
kfhughes (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kfhughes

All you needed to do was to go to the 2015+ TLX section of Acurazine. Here is the link and the info I am referring to is in post #1
https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/some-stuff-our-recent-tlx-training-tx-909064/

Your welcome! Lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Gen4MDX:
kfhughes (04-23-2014), RDXinNETX (05-05-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They need to ensure they put the earth dreams engine in it.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
May want to rethink that ceb. An active credible forum member who works for an Acura dealership was at a seminar to learn about the TLX and was told this by some Acura corp. folks.

BTW, if the RDX does not get the goodies the MDX and accord already have, honda will certainly loose me as a longtime customer, they need to do this just to compete (think Audi, Lexus, BMW & MB), heck even my company vehicle Ford Escape has these goodies, come on Honda, the current RDX while nice does not even match the competition of who they want to compete with, aka the Germans and Lexus, they are not even competing with the Accord, Ford and the Koreans which is pathetic. Certainly not the Honda I was brought up on.
Rethink what?

Corey went to a sales seminar (designed to get sales people all fired up about upcoming products) on the TLX. The trainers (who may - or may not - work for Acura), opined about some corporate strategy (AWD available in the future on all vehicles) from which somebody extrapolated that there are a few new upcoming features.

These sales seminars are just like Nostradamus, a medium or any penny-ante huckster. If you throw out enough "in the future it'll have..." then some of it will be true. The whole purpose is to get the sales people excited about what they are selling and ask yourself this - how many car sales people do you know that give you conflicting (or just plain wrong) information? They got most of that from sales seminars.

Setting up sales seminars was my life many moons ago. 50% is fact, 30% is speculation and 20% is just made up because it sounds good and is what people want to hear.

The seminar folks get their marching orders to include a few points that the organization wants to highlight - in this case it was "more technology" and "beak isn't going away". Those guys knew nothing about the 2016 RDX and threw that in as filler.

But remind me again - what did I say in my post that I should "rethink"?

Last edited by ceb; 06-02-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:24 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
I'm still thinking Acura will offer an +16 RDX with the 2.4L I-4 FWD with the 8AT. The RDX base/tech weighs about the same as a current base/tech TL (maybe close to the same lbs as the TLX). 190-200hp I-4 DI FWD 8AT with better mpgs would have enough power for the FWD RDX base/tech model.

Acura has entry/mid/mid+/high level sedans: ILX>TLX-2.4L>TLX-3.5L>RLX

There isn't an entry level for SUVs: CR-V?>RDX>MDX

BMW/MB/Audi all have stripped down box with wheel versions that don't take away from the over-all brand image. The ILX/TLX may still be too small or not practical for young families or empty nesters. The current RDX at $35,000 is a lot to spend on a budget for a base model compared to a maxed out CR-V. Honda sales +25,000 CR-Vs per month average and I'm sure they wouldn't complain if Honda could convert 3%-5% (750-1250 vehicles per mth) of those buyers into Acura entry level SUV starting at $30,000-$33,000.

A 2.4L FWD DI Tech RDX would sell very well in the Southwest where you are 4-6 hours away from everywhere. I-4 SUVs out number sedans in my parking lot at work.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I'm still thinking Acura will offer an +16 RDX with the 2.4L I-4 FWD with the 8AT. The RDX base/tech weighs about the same as a current base/tech TL (maybe close to the same lbs as the TLX). 190-200hp I-4 DI FWD 8AT with better mpgs would have enough power for the FWD RDX base/tech model.

Acura has entry/mid/mid+/high level sedans: ILX>TLX-2.4L>TLX-3.5L>RLX

There isn't an entry level for SUVs: CR-V?>RDX>MDX

BMW/MB/Audi all have stripped down box with wheel versions that don't take away from the over-all brand image. The ILX/TLX may still be too small or not practical for young families or empty nesters. The current RDX at $35,000 is a lot to spend on a budget for a base model compared to a maxed out CR-V. Honda sales +25,000 CR-Vs per month average and I'm sure they wouldn't complain if Honda could convert 3%-5% (750-1250 vehicles per mth) of those buyers into Acura entry level SUV starting at $30,000-$33,000.

A 2.4L FWD DI Tech RDX would sell very well in the Southwest where you are 4-6 hours away from everywhere. I-4 SUVs out number sedans in my parking lot at work.
I agree with you. But I think Acura/Honda will need to put more luxury features into their vehicles to distinguish it from a CRV. It's ridiculous that a Honda can offer more features in their lineups than an Acura. The only lacking in a Honda maybe the more powerful engine.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
if you look at the Germans and Lexus they all offer at least 2 engines for a majority of their vehicles.

1 is the 200ish HP base engine and the other is a more performance engine approaching 300 hp.

It is a way to sell more units.

If they place the engine for the I4 at about 10%-15% more powerful than the CRV and about 25%-30% less powerful than the 6 cylinder than it can work.

The CRV, Cherokee, and Santa Fe Sport 4 cylinder models range from 184-190 hp and 163-181 torque. So an engine with output of 205-215 hp and 215-230 torque would be a step up while still considerably less than the 290 and 267 that the MDX produces.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
Rethink what?

Corey went to a sales seminar (designed to get sales people all fired up about upcoming products) on the TLX. The trainers (who may - or may not - work for Acura), opined about some corporate strategy (AWD available in the future on all vehicles) from which somebody extrapolated that there are a few new upcoming features.

These sales seminars are just like Nostradamus, a medium or any penny-ante huckster. If you throw out enough "in the future it'll have..." then some of it will be true. The whole purpose is to get the sales people excited about what they are selling and ask yourself this - how many car sales people do you know that give you conflicting (or just plain wrong) information? They got most of that from sales seminars.

Setting up sales seminars was my life many moons ago. 50% is fact, 30% is speculation and 20% is just made up because it sounds good and is what people want to hear.

The seminar folks get their marching orders to include a few points that the organization wants to highlight - in this case it was "more technology" and "beak isn't going away". Those guys knew nothing about the 2016 RDX and threw that in as filler.

But remind me again - what did I say in my post that I should "rethink"?
Not sure if you are being a jerk or really wanted to know what you have said. "It is much too early to speculate about the 2016 RDX. Anyone who says "I heard it'll have xyz" clearly is smoking stuff legal only in Colorado."

Not really, Acura needs to step up their game and if the MMY does not get the Advance package, I will be looking much more strongly at Lexus. Oh yeah, I am in WA and it is legal here also
Old 06-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Overall the '16 RDX needs to add more standard features: BSI and power liftgate on base trim, jewel eyes, dual screen interface and rear vents on tech package up.
Needs better sound insulation using the TLX's acoustic spray foam technique.

I agree with two engine choices and an advanced AND dynamic package.
Put in the TLX's new 4cyl ED engine with 8DCT for base and tech packages geared towards those wanting good fuel eco.
TLX's V6 ED engine with 9AT for tech, dynamic and advance packages.
Dynamic package includes tech + 19" rims, tighter suspension, sportier seat supports, IDS, AHA.
Adv package includes tech + 19" rims, cooled front seats, IDS, AHA, CTM, LDW, LKAS, FCW.