2015 wheel vs 2016 wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 wheel vs 2016 wheel

Anybody likes the wheel on 2016?
It's difficult to clean than 2015 and I like the uniform silver look on 2015 wheel. I regret I didn't ask dealer to swap the wheel on my 2016 advanced with the set from 2015 w/ tech at the time I bought it.
Anybody knows if you put 2015 wheels on, do you need to re-program the tpms?
Old 11-15-2015, 11:16 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 425 Likes on 347 Posts
No you don't need to reprogram TPMS. RDX will relearn on its own.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:08 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
There are a few threads here about the 2016 wheels.

Yes they're ugly. I think they're fugly. Nobody here really likes them that much, though there are a decent amount of people who are just okay with them.

The wheels (both base/tech and advanced/elite variants) look cheap and un-sporty. Every other comparable SUV that I looked at had better wheels. If you had that option with your dealer then I think that's amazing because the 2013-2015 wheels look way better, though still not that great. The wheels on the 2016 was actually one of the reasons I didn't get it - I would have had to spend extra money for wheels that don't look like ass.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:32 AM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts

Old 11-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Acura wheel design doesn't do much for me right now. The current standard wheel on the RDX is not appealing at all - just in line with overstyling of so many cars these days. I really only like the optional wheel on the TLX.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 11-16-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura604

I've got the Meh #2 on my RDX. #3 and #4, while a bit less meh would've been nicer.

I'm going to get nice rims for the summer and put the winters on the stock #2 Meh factory rim.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Acura wheels have always sucked. Hopefully the newer Honda designs will start working their way to Acura or Honda needs to fire their wheel designers.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Acura wheel design doesn't do much for me right now. The current standard wheel on the RDX is not appealing at all - just in line with overstyling of so many cars these days. I really only like the optional wheel on the TLX.

I completely agree. That TLX wheel is one of the very few Acura wheels I like as well right now.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Acura wheels have always sucked. Hopefully the newer Honda designs will start working their way to Acura or Honda needs to fire their wheel designers.
Feels like 1/10 wheel designs actually looks half nice. I like my 07 rdx wheels, I like the 07-13 mdx advance/elite wheels, and I like the tl-s wheels. Everything else is gross. The current rdx wheels are gross, ESPECIALLY number 2 above (the 2016 loaner I had, had those wheels and my god they were gross).

FIRE EVERYONE IN WHEEL DESIGN AND HIRE A GERMAN!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Feels like 1/10 wheel designs actually looks half nice. I like my 07 rdx wheels, I like the 07-13 mdx advance/elite wheels, and I like the tl-s wheels. Everything else is gross. The current rdx wheels are gross, ESPECIALLY number 2 above (the 2016 loaner I had, had those wheels and my god they were gross).

FIRE EVERYONE IN WHEEL DESIGN AND HIRE A GERMAN!
That doesn't work either. First there was the "cheese slicer" wheel from the GTI in 2006 that couldn't be refinished if curbed

and now there is the new GTI wheel

I guess somebody likes them, but they aren't like the classic German designs like from Audi

Old 11-16-2015, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
That doesn't work either. First there was the "cheese slicer" wheel from the GTI in 2006 that couldn't be refinished if curbed

and now there is the new GTI wheel

I guess somebody likes them, but they aren't like the classic German designs like from Audi

I love all 3 of those wheels. The "cheese slicer" wheels are actually one of my favorites. But DAMN those recent gti wheels are stunning!

Here we go agreeing again....love the classic german rims that audi has.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I love all 3 of those wheels. The "cheese slicer" wheels are actually one of my favorites. But DAMN those recent gti wheels are stunning!

Here we go agreeing again....love the classic german rims that audi has.
We've got to quit doing that...

The cheese slicers had one huge disadvantage. Because they were flat as a board, they were curb magnets and virtually any damage was very unsightly so the wheels required refinishing. Additionally, special equipment was required to mount the tires without damaging the finish.

Unfortunately, because of their finish, they couldn't be refinished - hence the huge amount of painted, powdercoated and otherwise bastardized wheels on the secondary market.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:19 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
will be putting my 'improved' 2013-15 wheels on soon... (Anthracite Grey plastidip w/glossifier)

2015 wheel vs 2016 wheel-hp7gvgn.jpg
Old 11-16-2015, 11:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
We've got to quit doing that...

The cheese slicers had one huge disadvantage. Because they were flat as a board, they were curb magnets and virtually any damage was very unsightly so the wheels required refinishing. Additionally, special equipment was required to mount the tires without damaging the finish.

Unfortunately, because of their finish, they couldn't be refinished - hence the huge amount of painted, powdercoated and otherwise bastardized wheels on the secondary market.
I feel like we usually have polar but both valid arguments, we would make a good legal team haha.

I was going to buy a tiguan and was planning on running these. Glad I didn't get these and even more glad I didn't get the tiguan. Seems like they had absolutely no foresigt when designing these.

But seriously though, what is going on in Acura HQ, the current top of the line crv has nicer wheels than the rdx or mdx...that should not ever happen. No toyota has nicer wheels than a lexus, no nissan has nicer wheels than an infiniti...etc. Shouldn't happen.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:29 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I've never been a big fan of two-tone (i.e. black and silver) wheels. Those remind me of something you would see on a Civic or Tercel is a bad part of town complete with the Maxwell House exhaust. IMO, that doesn't belong on a luxury, near luxury or premium car. Wheels for those should be understated and (this is big for me) symmetrical. The traditional BBS design, the double 5 spoke or similar is what I consider timeless designs.

Clearly though, everybody has their own idea of what is nice. While I find that gray wheels always look dirty and black wheels always look like steel wheels because they lose all design intricacies with the color, there are lots of people out there that like that look.

What confuses me is the choice by Acura of what wheel goes on what trim line. Traditionally, the more expensive the car, the more conservative the owner, so you would think that they would put the safe bets on the expensive models. Oddly enough, they seem to be doing just the opposite.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
It seems as though a lot of the newer wheels are variations on a theme. Is not the Advance wheel basically a double 5 spoke?
Old 11-17-2015, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I at least give them credit for putting the graphite colored inserts in the RDX and TLX to hide the brake dust.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Indeed. It is a "two tone" that doesn't bother me. I actually like the contrast and think it looks particularly good with grey, silver, blue, and red (in that order).
Old 11-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
I've never been a big fan of two-tone (i.e. black and silver) wheels. Those remind me of something you would see on a Civic or Tercel is a bad part of town complete with the Maxwell House exhaust. IMO, that doesn't belong on a luxury, near luxury or premium car. Wheels for those should be understated and (this is big for me) symmetrical. The traditional BBS design, the double 5 spoke or similar is what I consider timeless designs.

Clearly though, everybody has their own idea of what is nice. While I find that gray wheels always look dirty and black wheels always look like steel wheels because they lose all design intricacies with the color, there are lots of people out there that like that look.

What confuses me is the choice by Acura of what wheel goes on what trim line. Traditionally, the more expensive the car, the more conservative the owner, so you would think that they would put the safe bets on the expensive models. Oddly enough, they seem to be doing just the opposite.
I have seen some stunning two tone wheels from audi and bmw. But I think it has to be done right. I like black wheels but I don't like fully black wheels, I like when they have some silver accents to highlight the intricacies. Like those newer gti wheels you showed me.

I AM SO HAPPY YOU MENTIONED SYMMETRICAL!!!! Yes absolutely 10000% I CANNOT stand when wheels have curved spokes, it screams ghetto early 2000's. I like how audi has simple wheels but they are also strong in an elegant yet sporty way. They don't try too hard, they use no gimmicks. God, here we go agreeing again, I think a simple 5 spoke design is timeless, it is why I love my 07 rims.

I don't agree on the gray though, I really like it, it hides break dust and dirt amazingly. Also just simple and easy to clean but refinishing may be a little hard. Feel like Acura went old school Japanese with the new wheels.....lexus is making a killing with the current wheel designs on most of its' cars. Hyundai/Kia even have nicer wheels than Acura right now.

Like I said earlier, I have no idea what is happening at Acura HQ.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:55 PM
The Original Shawdy

If wheels make or break a sale. That's sad. That's easily fixable.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
It would help make a sale (in that I would move a trim level up if it had nicer wheels) but would not break a sale for me.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Instructor

In my case, I was cross shopping the RDX (Tech) and the NX200T (F-Sport). It was very close for me because I was able to get $7k off the NX on an outgoing 2015.

The price was really close, but the thing is that I don't feel like I HAVE to buy new wheels for the NX. Hell, I don't think I could stomach the RDX Tech wheels for winter tires.

In general, it is sad if the wheels make or break a sale - it's probably a little dramatic. But the RDX wheels are appropriately dramatically ugly - they're just that freaking bad. I still can't believe that Acura would settle on those ugly ass designs that don't compliment the design in any way.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:50 AM
The Original Shawdy

I hear you. I also cross shopped the NX F sport but it was more cramped then the RDX and no V6 wasn't happening for me. I like the leather more but not the cluster fuck of buttons. I like the simplicity of the RDX. Then again it's the wife's. I also looked at the RX but it came off as too plain for the price. Not a fan of the interior. All in all we are happy with the purchase of the RDX Advance. At first I didn't care for the wheels but now they seem to blend better after tinting the Windows dark. They hide dirt well (coming from a detailer). Wheels will be upgraded come summer time and the advance wheels will be the daily wheels. I personally wish Acura would have at least offered the upgraded optional wheels in 19" just like my 2014 TL. Bummer.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I hear you. I also cross shopped the NX F sport but it was more cramped then the RDX and no V6 wasn't happening for me. I like the leather more but not the cluster fuck of buttons. I like the simplicity of the RDX. Then again it's the wife's. I also looked at the RX but it came off as too plain for the price. Not a fan of the interior. All in all we are happy with the purchase of the RDX Advance. At first I didn't care for the wheels but now they seem to blend better after tinting the Windows dark. They hide dirt well (coming from a detailer). Wheels will be upgraded come summer time and the advance wheels will be the daily wheels. I personally wish Acura would have at least offered the upgraded optional wheels in 19" just like my 2014 TL. Bummer.
The new pilot has acceptable 20" wheels on the elite/advance model while the biggest wheels on a current Acura are 19's. Don't get me wrong, some people like 17-18 inch wheels. I personally think Acura is clueless about what is necessary in a luxury car. 18's are considered base on higher end German cars and many go up to 21's. Hell most american brands go up to 20 on their wheels. I think it depends on the car obviously, too big tires on too small of a car looks weird. But the current gen rdx should have offered 19's and the mdx should have had 20's.

I like where honda is currently positioned in the market. I hate how Acura feels a level/trim up vs honda as opposed to 4-5 levels up.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 AM
Instructor

I found the RDX to be a little too big which made the NX a perfect size for me. I would have preferred the size of the first gen RDX more since I wanted a smaller SUV or a hatch.

I definitely agree with the shit-ton of buttons in the NX. After a month I'm still not comfortable navigating the infotainment while driving. I would also have preferred to have the acceleration and speed of the RDX but after experiencing the jittery tranny of my '12 TL (TC issue) I wasn't fond of jumping into another AT Acura (I don't care for the 6sp, 9sp, or 8sp dct).

Had Acura offered non-shitty looking wheels for the RDX, I would have likely still gotten the NX because I bought it more for looks with the interior and exterior (totally subjective) and for the modability (2nd Gen RDX has absolutely no modding community). I would like the RDX more with better wheels though. The 2016 RDX with the 2013-2015 default wheels looks pretty good.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Instructor

The new pilot has acceptable 20" wheels on the elite/advance model while the biggest wheels on a current Acura are 19's. Don't get me wrong, some people like 17-18 inch wheels. I personally think Acura is clueless about what is necessary in a luxury car. 18's are considered base on higher end German cars and many go up to 21's. Hell most american brands go up to 20 on their wheels. I think it depends on the car obviously, too big tires on too small of a car looks weird. But the current gen rdx should have offered 19's and the mdx should have had 20's.

I like where honda is currently positioned in the market. I hate how Acura feels a level/trim up vs honda as opposed to 4-5 levels up.
I feel like Acura has never focused much on wheels at all. This wasn't a problem when people didn't mind the wheels (3G/4G TL, MDX never looked too bad). But now I think they've gotten lazy. The Base/Tech wheels on the 2016 RDX is the same wheel as the one on the ILX. One is an entry into the brand and one is a more expensive "premium" SUV that is trying to compete with BMW, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes.. they should not be sharing a wheel - let alone a very shitty looking wheel.

I think german brands simply appreciate the look of the wheels on a car more than Japanese brands. The X3, GLK, and Q5 offer larger wheels, and more importantly, they have a much smaller gap between the tire and the wheel-well. I'm a little annoyed at the huge gap with my NX-FSport. I don't really feel that the car necessarily needs bigger wheels or tires, but the gap should be smaller - which would require me to lower the car an inch or two.

As for Acura feeling like a trim up from Honda - I sorta see this... I had a 2013 Accord before my 2012 TL and the jump felt pretty tremendous when comparing the cabin materials/noise dampening. I was very happy with jump. But when shopping for an SUV, the 2016 RDX did not feel like a brand up from the 2015 CRV. Ride quality was better but the interior cabin didn't feel far enough apart.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by skabei
I feel like Acura has never focused much on wheels at all. This wasn't a problem when people didn't mind the wheels (3G/4G TL, MDX never looked too bad). But now I think they've gotten lazy. The Base/Tech wheels on the 2016 RDX is the same wheel as the one on the ILX. One is an entry into the brand and one is a more expensive "premium" SUV that is trying to compete with BMW, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes.. they should not be sharing a wheel - let alone a very shitty looking wheel.
Just saw a brand new Honda Accord Sport yesterday with darn nice looking OEM wheels (IMO). A little like the upper tier TLX wheels. Much nicer than anything else Acura has for the RDX, again IMO.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:04 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Those Accord wheels look real good, thanks for posting the photo.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:14 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Wonder if these would fit the RDX?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Pro

^^^ nice!

A huge step up from the current offerings.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by skabei

I think german brands simply appreciate the look of the wheels on a car more than Japanese brands. The X3, GLK, and Q5 offer larger wheels, and more importantly, they have a much smaller gap between the tire and the wheel-well. I'm a little annoyed at the huge gap with my NX-FSport. I don't really feel that the car necessarily needs bigger wheels or tires, but the gap should be smaller - which would require me to lower the car an inch or two.

As for Acura feeling like a trim up from Honda - I sorta see this... I had a 2013 Accord before my 2012 TL and the jump felt pretty tremendous when comparing the cabin materials/noise dampening. I was very happy with jump. But when shopping for an SUV, the 2016 RDX did not feel like a brand up from the 2015 CRV. Ride quality was better but the interior cabin didn't feel far enough apart.
Seriously, I wouldn't feel good driving a 45k suv that had the wheels of a 30k sedan. I call that being purely lazy. I had a 2016 rdx base with acura watch and my god, I felt like I was driving a honda or toyota, NOT an acura!

I agree completely, I hate when cars have smaller looking wheels and a huge gap, because the gap makes the wheels look even smaller. I love the nx (really grew on me, and that interior! Damn lol) but I also noticed how ugly the wheel gap is. Another option you should look into is painting the wheel arch trim body color, this would make the gap look much smaller and IMHO make the car look a little more upscale and premium.

This Precisely! The new RDX feels like a honda crv. There was too much hard plastic and the gauge cluster felt plain to me. They took away SH-AWD and the turbo, this pretty much makes it a crv with a V6. Don't get me wrong, almost every brand has less than fancy roots in their luxury cars, only that I can't easily tell what the roots are. The MKC is nothing like the escape, the new mkx is nothing like the edge, the new rx350 is nothing like the highlander and the nx is not even close to the Rav4. Yet the mdx is not any nicer than a pilot and the rdx is almost worse than the crv IMHO.

I had the 2016 loaner for a whole day and put quite a bit of mileage on it. Maybe if I had an advance model, I would feel different, Idk? I just didn't feel like I was driving an almost new with 3k miles 45k vehicle. Same as the 65k mdx loaner I had for a couple days. Everyone else takes their luxury side seriously, Honda just puts it on the side as a sort of step up from honda, not as competition to other luxury brands.

On a sidenote not intending to go anywhere with this, but did everyone hear about Hyundai's launch of the genesis brand? I personally think they will pummel Acura into the ground. They have the bmw M-division chief engineer for their N-Sport trims and they also have a couple high end german brand designers. Should be very good!
Old 11-23-2015, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I like the 2016 Advance wheels. It's not perfect, but it grows on you.

Plus, I'm glad Acura kept the wheel size at 18" with the thick sidewall tires instead of fitting 19"+ wheels with low profile tires. It's a cross-over vehicle. I want to be able to go over speed bumps without having to worrying about scratching my wheels or getting a flat tire.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:02 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Small correction, those aren't the optional TLX wheels, they're the standard TLX wheels for the V6 models. The optional wheels are the 19" 'diamond cut' ones. There is also another set of optional 18's that I've never seen anyone with.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:53 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't like 2016 Wheels

Don't like 2016 Wheels. One main reason I purchased a 2015 to go with wife's 2014.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:28 PM
The Original Shawdy

Lol you could have gotten the 16 with the 15 wheels during purchase. I'm sure you got a good deal on the 15 though.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by youngTL
Small correction, those aren't the optional TLX wheels, they're the standard TLX wheels for the V6 models. The optional wheels are the 19" 'diamond cut' ones. There is also another set of optional 18's that I've never seen anyone with.

Saw the V6 TLX wheels on a 2016 RDX in downtown San Rafael the other night. Looked really nice!