2015 RDX timing belt/water pump service - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by VisualEchos
I have done, and will do a lot of wrenching myself, but when it comes to this type of thing, I let someone else do it.
Whatever you feel comfotable with. It really is an easy job, at least in my books and my skill level.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 387 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Tech
Whatever you feel comfotable with. It really is an easy job, at least in my books and my skill level.
I agree, this work is very simple, the only difficulty can come from the crankshaft bolt, other problems are possible, but usually they are not. Otherwise, if you do not rush to observe the torque, then the quality of work will be better than that of the Acura dealer.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by altair47
I agree, this work is very simple, the only difficulty can come from the crankshaft bolt, other problems are possible, but usually they are not. Otherwise, if you do not rush to observe the torque, then the quality of work will be better than that of the Acura dealer.
As a past flight instructor who also worked on aircraft, I got to fly my repair jobs that day or the next. Yeah, I trust my work. LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by Tech:
altair47 (11-17-2021), BPalladium (11-27-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
I am not as concerned with difficulty (although some maintenance stuff is harder for me because I have large hands), but rather with the knowledge that in the case of the work done to to change the timing belt, water pump, etc., one small mistake (not tightening something, or tightening something too much, or doing something out of order, or... you get the idea) can result in a pretty horrific outcome. I would still consider it if I had the Helm manual for the car, but in order to screw more people out of more money, Honda made sure that is no longer available.

Still, it's good to know that there are people out there who can do these kind of involved tasks with confidence and aplomb. I spent 35 years as a programmer/analyst, perhaps that's part of my reticence.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"Your time is all that you have; spend it wisely - they're not giving refunds." -- Dave Kelsen
Old 11-17-2021, 05:53 PM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
I can do this work, no problem. My problem is that I don't want to. Maybe I'm just too old (51). But being old affords me the luxury of being able to pay someone else to do it without even noticing the digits change in my bank account.
The following users liked this post:
Kelsen (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
I can do this work, no problem. My problem is that I don't want to. Maybe I'm just too old (51). But being old affords me the luxury of being able to pay someone else to do it without even noticing the digits change in my bank account.
Then it's not a problem, and good for you, young man! I still enjoy doing some of my own maintenance work, and I turned 64 yesterday. But I think that if I had enough money for it not to matter, I'd just find someone I trust and never turn a wrench again.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
When I was younger I was afraid I would die riding; now that I am older I am afraid I won't. Happiness is finding you have more throttle.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kelsen:
ArmchairArchitect (02-29-2024), VisualEchos (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 06:11 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by Kelsen
But I think that if I had enough money for it not to matter, I'd just find someone I trust and never turn a wrench again.
I trust very few with my M2, and almost no one at all with my Exige, but the RDX, meh, it'll be alright.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can read how many kilometers left until the maintenance minder is displayed in HDS (BODY ELECTRICAL/Gauges/Adjustment/Maintenance Information/Maintenance Minder).
For the Canadian version, it is 160 thousand kilometers.

The following 2 users liked this post by atis:
Kelsen (11-17-2021), VisualEchos (11-17-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 08:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by egads
I would be the first to advise against buying on Amazon. Same goes for EBay. This kit from Rock Auto would be OK.
I think we're getting off track here but for what it's worth, Amazon across the board has issues with resellers. Doesn't matter what product it is - there's a chance you're getting a used one, repackaged one, or straight up not the right one. They as a whole don't have much control over this, as it's up to those individual resellers to provide the products. So plus one on buying car parts directly from rockauto, as you shouldn't have to worry about what you're actually going to get.

Also, there are various dealerships and other legitimate auto vendors that sell on amazon, you just need to look into who's selling it. But even then, if a part is out of stock or something, they can pull the old switcharoo and you're now receiving the "same part" from a different vendor.
ArmchairArchitect (02-29-2024)
Old 11-18-2021, 08:45 AM
Andrew

Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
I think we're getting off track here.
Most of the posts are off track as I've stated that I will be having the dealer provide the parts for obvious reasons, but that doesn't keep people from recommending that I buy parts elsewhere and do the work myself. Gotta' love that reading comprehension.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 218 Posts
Most of the posts are off track as I've stated that I will be having the dealer provide the parts for obvious reasons, but that doesn't keep people from recommending that I buy parts elsewhere and do the work myself. Gotta' love that reading comprehension.
Hey, have you considered buying parts elsewhere and doing the work yourself?

Haha, I hope all works out well - do update us whenever the job is complete.
ArmchairArchitect (02-29-2024)
Old 11-18-2021, 09:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

And that is fine as we still live in a free world. Well I wish I was 51 as that was a long time ago. Same here regarding bank accounts as my last car which was bought used and cost me just over $184K and I paid cash. But it is the satisfaction of doing it yourself and having it done right. Lets just say I am done with sub-standard work (and yes, even in aviation), the let me have your money and run level of shitty workmanship. I do it all, carpentry, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, vehicles, aircraft, etc.

Anyway, back on topic. And yes, I change my synthetic oil once a year, even if I only have 3000 miles on it. Without testing to get the "facts" (I worked in a lab), you don't really know how good it is.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

I spent 35 years as a programmer/analyst, perhaps that's part of my reticence.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
Oh no, a software weenie. Run for cover. Just kidding Dave. LOL

But on another note, I had a neighbor from a few streets over call me last night. His snowblower won't start....so what do you expect me to do about it? Give up my time...hell I spend 3 hours on my metal lathe and clean-up yesterday to do a few jobs. He last gave me a lawn mower that would not run, so now I have an identical spare...that now runs. It had an electrical issue and this guy is a retired electrical engineer. Too much theory and no diagnostic skills. Unfortunately, diagnostic skills are lacking in the trades as well. People should read the best seller "Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work".

Last edited by Tech; 11-18-2021 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo
Kelsen (11-19-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I am not as concerned with difficulty (although some maintenance stuff is harder for me because I have large hands), but rather with the knowledge that in the case of the work done to change the timing belt, water pump, etc., one small mistake (not tightening something, or tightening something too much, or doing something out of order, or... you get the idea) can result in a pretty horrific outcome.Dave Kelsen
Hence the reason some owners are willing to pay extra to get this job done by a deep pocket dealership vs an independent shop for the simple comfort of full liability should something minor done wrong cause catastrophic damage. I realize these are very low odds, but there are some very loyal and conservative Honda/Acura owners out there.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sixonemale
Hence the reason some owners are willing to pay extra to get this job done by a deep pocket dealership vs an independent shop for the simple comfort of full liability should something minor done wrong cause catastrophic damage.
Have you ever tried getting your money out of a dealer or independent shop after a screw-up (actually, I would have used a different set of words but they would have been XXXX out)?

Here is a perfect example of a friend who brought his car in to have a factory short shift kit installed by a shop familiar with the make. By the way, that black metal panel that is now a two-piece panel used to be a one-piece panel. The idiots didn't know what they were doing and we noticed the botch job when we did a pre-purchase inspection for the new owner a year later. The shop didn't come through on a replacement panel; they claimed they tried.

The person that bought the car ordered up a used panel, fixed the short shift kit installation as per my instructions so that the original one-piece panel then fit...as it should have. Photo supplied by the new owner of the vehicle.

Don't get me going on the professionalism of dealers and independent shops. Some might be good, but unfortunately it isn't tattooed on their forehead.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:41 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by Tech
Have you ever tried getting your money out of a dealer or independent shop after a screw-up...
Dude, save your breath, we're talking about a job these guys do every day of the week. Enough already.
TheSauceBoss (11-19-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 05:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dude, save your breath, we're talking about a job these guys do every day of the week. Enough already.
And amazingly, they screw up.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tech:
ArmchairArchitect (02-29-2024), Kelsen (11-19-2021), sixonemale (11-20-2021)