is 2014 RDX a girl's car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:39 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
"vaginal" and "tampon" shaped....umm...yeah.

why the hell does it even matter what OTHER people think of what you are driving? Get over it. All that matters is whether it meets your needs and appeals to YOU. If you think people are judging you based on your car, then you're just as shallow as they are. A fiat, mini cooper, smart car, VW beetle...those are "cute", but yet i see plenty of guys driving them. i guess people don't call compact SUVs "cute utes" for no reason. get a 4runner, perhaps that might suit your more masculine needs.
The following 3 users liked this post by TLtrigirl:
hand-filer (09-19-2013), nj2pa2nc (09-20-2013), weather (09-15-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl

why the hell does it even matter what OTHER people think of what you are driving? Get over it. All that matters is whether it meets your needs and appeals to YOU. If you think people are judging you based on your car, then you're just as shallow as they are. A fiat, mini cooper, smart car, VW beetle...those are "cute", but yet i see plenty of guys driving them. i guess people don't call compact SUVs "cute utes" for no reason. get a 4runner, perhaps that might suit your more masculine needs.
Well said...
Old 09-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by markAZ
Well said...
Yep

What do you expect from a "left leaner" aka libtard

Shouldn't you be looking at "green" solar powered cars?
Old 09-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
Come on, you don't know that that refers to his politics. And even if it does, so what? Better a left leaner than a name calling right wing nut job.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl

Pretty much sums it up

Old 09-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markAZ
Come on, you don't know that that refers to his politics. And even if it does, so what? Better a left leaner than a name calling right wing nut job.
Who do you consider a right wing nut job and why? I suppose you like the policies and failures of the current obummer administration?
Old 09-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
Who do you consider a right wing nut job and why?
Just a guess here, but I think the answer to your question could be "someone who resorts to using phrases like 'obummer' when speaking about the president."

There are proper ways to discuss politics, and proper places. IMHO, your posts fit neither category.

YMMV

Last edited by davisinla; 09-14-2013 at 08:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by davisinla:
hand-filer (09-14-2013), kirkland715 (09-16-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davisinla
Just a guess here, but I think the answer to your question could be "someone who resorts to using phrases like 'obummer' when speaking about the president."

There are proper ways to discuss politics, and proper places. IMHO, your posts fit neither category.

YMMV
I see which way you swing, are you part of the 47%?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Gents -

You should take all the politics stuff over to Ramblings. None of this has anything to do with the RDX.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I work in a very petty industry and people notice what's in our building's parking lot.

"Left Leaner" refers to the fact that my current Hyundai SFS has a leftward pull, and hence Hyundai has to buy it back. Nothing to do with politics.

I test drove a 2011 Jeep Cherokee today. It was fine, but the RDX interior is nicer. Also, there are aspects of the Cherokee that just feel "cheap" -- I'm not sure how to explain it, but something just felt inferior e.g. when I used the turn signal or opened the door.

I think I'm nonetheless gonna go for the lease takeover of the Cherokee and return it to the dealer in September 2014. I think at that point my financial situation will be such that I can afford a nicely equipped MDX, which I think would be my dream car in the upper 40s range.
The following users liked this post:
kirkland715 (09-16-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by LeftLeaner
For one thing, the RDX seems like it is shaped somewhat like a tampon.
Tampon-shaped? A Bugatti Veyron looks more like a tampon than an RDX and I'll take one of those any day of the week.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by danmangto
I don't think the MDX looks like a minivan. In fact I think the RDX and MDX look very similar from a small distance. Actually the RDX gets slightly better gas mileage. 19/27 vs the MDX 18/27.. Close. Since the MDX is bigger/heavier, I'd like to see the real world results on that. Pretty impressive.
Sorry, I've only looked at the FWD, where both are rated at 20/28/23.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....33592&id=33524
Old 09-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Maybe the 2011 Jeep Cherokee has poor interior materials, but before I bought my 2013 RDX, the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Grand Cherokee Overland were high on my "short list". The interior of the new Jeeps are top notch, with excellent materials and fit & finish. The six cylinder was very sluggish, and the V-8 got horrible mileage, so I did not buy one. I would love it if my RDX interior had the current quality level of the new Jeep interior.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I don't want to beat this topic to death but I agree with most here, and no offense intended to those who do worry about others think. Everyone is entitled to have their opinion and I am big on respecting people's opinion, that being said, I have mine as well....a REAL man doesn't care what others think. I am very comfortable with my masculinity and I have no problem driving vehicles that people have negative views (or think are girly) about them.

I got a 2012 TL and we all know how many people have been bashing the TL, I could care less....I like it and I enjoy every minute of it. I have an RDX, and regardless of whether its viewed a girly SUV or not, I enjoy driving it every minute of it. I also have a Hyundai Accent, no manliness there whatsoever but I assure you that for what its intended to do, that car serves its purpose.

Bottom line, I am very comfortable with my decisions and I drive/ride what I want based on MY needs and MY taste. If a person is unable to make a purchase without worrying of what others will think, that is pretty sad. What is next....can I been seen in public with my g/f? What is people find her ugly or make fun of me?

Life is short people.....lets enjoy every minute of it and BE YOURSELF.....that is what makes us unique. Its not about being critical to people, but simply to help people put things in perspective.

In any event, LeftLeaner, welcome to Acurazine and again, I am not trying to be disrespectful to you whatsoever, and I know you are not the only one who has that opinion/concern....so I got to give you credit for being honest to voice your view despite knowing it would create a buzz....I agree with you though, the MDX is a nice rig and I would like to have one for myself but I don't need something that big and here, they cost so much more and I can't justify paying that much for something that I do't really need.
The following 3 users liked this post by weather:
kirkland715 (09-16-2013), nj2pa2nc (09-20-2013), RayNA (09-25-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the kind words, Weather.

Also, in case anyone from Acura is reading this, please note that I would buy the base MDX if there were voice recognition for radio controls and the like. The base MDX only has voice for phone, and to add the package with voice for radio, I have to pay several thousand dollars for a bunch of stuff I don't care about. Voice recognition for radio should be on the base model of a luxury brand.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Intermediate

Look at the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk....looks were weird at first but growing on me over time...def. masculine, and you won't get lost in the parking lot next to a sea of escapes, crv's etc...9 speed tranny, avail v6, decent list of tech and quality interior materials....it's on my short list after reading much more about it...my first thoughts were no way based on looks...
The following users liked this post:
LeftLeaner (09-20-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by mondo540
Look at the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk....looks were weird at first but growing on me over time...def. masculine, and you won't get lost in the parking lot next to a sea of escapes, crv's etc...9 speed tranny, avail v6, decent list of tech and quality interior materials....it's on my short list after reading much more about it...my first thoughts were no way based on looks...
Its growing on me too but given its Chrysler/Fiat lineage, I'd give it a year or two before considering one.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
My RDX is a girl's car when my wife drives it. It's a guy's car when I drive it. It's a couples car when we ride together.
The following 2 users liked this post by 5 Acuras:
Kyrra (09-19-2013), RayNA (09-25-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will enjoy the quality, reliability and longevity of all Honda/Acura vehicles. Go for it! You may also want to check out the CRV if you don't need the increased tech or v6.
Just a warning about the seats of the CRV (and this from a former Honda owner) and I'm not sure that this would matter to you, but the backseat feels like you are sitting on stuffed plywood. Not very comfortable but then again as the driver how often do you sit in the backseat?

After much test driving the only other cars I considered were the Subaru Outback and the Ford Escape/Edge. Not sure if you looked at these but the Acura gave me more bang for the buck. I surprisingly did like the Fords but in the end the Acura (I got a loaner one) cost me less then the Fords would have.

Last edited by Sportschicfla; 09-19-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:30 AM
Cruisin'

the TrailHawk looks like a sweet ride, but it starts at 42, around the same price as the MDX starts at. do you think it competes with the MDX?

honestly, to return to my original post, i don't really care about things like Blind Spot Assist or Parking Assist or Breast Feed Monitoring -- I know how to drive. The RDX has everything I need in a car, but it's just a bit too small and vaginal for me. I understand that those two things, when they go together, are usually a good thing. Nonetheless, the RDX doesn't seem to offer the true SUV experience -- of feeling like you are the king of the road, when surrounded by sedans -- which I very much crave.

I doubt Acura will redesign the RDX for 2015 or 2016, but if the 2017 or 2018 version is a little bigger and still comes with AWD + TECH for around 40k....man, there will be no better car to purchase in America.

Originally Posted by mondo540
Old 09-20-2013, 05:50 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
the TrailHawk looks like a sweet ride, but it starts at 42, around the same price as the MDX starts at. do you think it competes with the MDX?

honestly, to return to my original post, i don't really care about things like Blind Spot Assist or Parking Assist or Breast Feed Monitoring -- I know how to drive. The RDX has everything I need in a car, but it's just a bit too small and vaginal for me. I understand that those two things, when they go together, are usually a good thing. Nonetheless, the RDX doesn't seem to offer the true SUV experience -- of feeling like you are the king of the road, when surrounded by sedans -- which I very much crave.

I doubt Acura will redesign the RDX for 2015 or 2016, but if the 2017 or 2018 version is a little bigger and still comes with AWD + TECH for around 40k....man, there will be no better car to purchase in America.
Go get a truck if you need to fulfill this need to be "king of the road", quad cab perhaps. you can always add a 6inch lift kit to really assert your presence among the sea of sedans.

The redesign will most likely be in 2018...and it will probably be the same size with similar offerings it has now with a different skin, newer tech. The RDX is a compact CROSSOVER. The bigger version of the RDX...it's called an MDX. That too, is a CROSSOVER (midsize) not an SUV.

4runners and jeep grand cherokees will give you more of a truck like feel in an SUV pkg. it seems this is the most important thing to you. At this point, it seems Acura has nothing to offer you. we get it, you already told us the RDX is too feminine for you (in however you define it) and that's your perogative. There are plenty of guys on here that drive RDXs and are happy with their cars becuase it fits their needs in other practical ways.

GL to whatever you end up purchasing to fill your masculine needs.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:19 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
reading some of these posts makes it sound like you are talking about people not vehicles. Does make me laugh-I live in a neighborhood that does not care what car you drive. Drive what you want. I am planning to buy a new vehicle in about 6 months. Planning to take my time and check out other brands not just acura.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
My RDX is a girl's car when my wife drives it. It's a guy's car when I drive it. It's a couples car when we ride together.
...and all is right with the world.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Pretty much sums it up

I can't believe this!

Last edited by frainc; 09-20-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I am a male and before my RDX i have driven a Mazda M5X for more than 10 years, many people call it a chicks's car, kid's car, cute and it does indeed turn heads and receive comments from woman, kids and guys alike. I've never felt my manhood was ever challenged while I was driving it and I loved it for what it is. Now I drive an RDX and it never occurred to me that the car has a particular sexuality. I'd say get over with that silly idea and enjoy the vehicle, believe me you won't be any lesser man doing so, only people who have more muscles than brains will think otherwise, and for me their opinion really doesn't count anyway

I am a 33-year old male shopping for a car. I currently have a Hyundai Santa Fe, but the Acura RDX + Tech seems like an appealing vehicle, since it has almost all of the features I want for a reasonable price. However, my brother keeps telling me that it's a girl's car, that women will consider my car "cute," and so on.

I also like the MDX, but I don't need a third row, I don't want to spend 50k, and I have a small garage so I don't need a bigger car.

Is the RDX a chick's car?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Advanced

The RDX, by contrast, looks a little bit more "vaginal," for lack of a better word.
Ha ha ha, now that's extremely hilarious, "vaginal", really!!, I think my friend you need a shrink, not a new car..
Old 09-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Are you seriously cross shopping a Kia against an Acura? IMO, you will be much happier long term with the Acura. These 2 vehicles are in completely different leagues.
My ex-wife was in a car selling business, she told me that I did good buying an Acura instead of a Kia, apparently they are not reliable and definitely not in the same league as Acuras.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Advanced

The RDX doesn't seem like a big car to me, but rather like a tiny crossover.
LOL, you should have been in my MX5 to understand what tiny really means. I bet you would have rushed too get a sex change operation after driving that car. Me, I still have my gizmo intact and functional after all those years driving girly cars. And oh, I had a manly truck for a short while too, a 2003 Dodge Dakota, guess which one I would choose if I had to take one back?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced

I test drove a 2011 Jeep Cherokee today. It was fine, but the RDX interior is nicer. Also, there are aspects of the Cherokee that just feel "cheap" -- I'm not sure how to explain it, but something just felt inferior e.g. when I used the turn signal or opened the door.
Believe me I know that "cheep" feeling is like, not only the interior though. I owned two Chrysler cars to date, one Grand Caravan and one Dodge Dakota. I couldn't believe my eyes when I noticed that they used drywall screws on the Caravan in some places and they were coming loose, the Caravan's tranny was destroyed to pieces twice while it was under my ownership, the Dakota was a 4x4 and the rear wheels were kind of locking when I was backing it up, never knew why, and oh the engine check light was coming On frequently with no apparent reason too.

I also owned Hondas (Prelude, Civic, Accord), Mazdas (626, 929 and MX5) and never had any problems with those cars (especially the MX5) other than rust due to age (all were owned for many years) and salt on the roads.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:04 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, it is a girl's car,with a round little bottom