2013 RDX AWD or 2012 TSX Sport Wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 RDX AWD or 2012 TSX Sport Wagon?

Hey everyone, wondering if I can get some advice on our car search. I have read some great feedback on this forum about both the 2013 RDX AWD (Base) and the 2012 TSX Sport Wagon (with Tech). Your thoughts have really helped us focus in on these two cars, so I signed up for an account to see if anyone can provide some further input. My wife and I currently have a 1998 Integra that has served us well since she bought it new. I did an extensive search for every car that I thought would fit our needs, and at the end of all that we're looking at two Acuras.

Here's a quick summary of the most important factors for us in our next car:

- Rear seat and cargo room for eventual children. Right now its just us a medium sized dog. We don't need a ton of space, but want sufficient rear seat room for a car seat or to transport 4 adults occasionally with some comfort.

- Reliability (the reason most competitors were ruled out). We view these cars as likely to be equally reliable but if anyone has insight on one being better than the other I would love to hear.

- Occasional desire for AWD/decent ground clearance. We live in the city of Seattle, and get appreciable snow (and hills with ice) maybe every other season. Most years FWD is fine. Some years we get dumped on and they don't know how to plow/salt so the snow forms big ruts. I'm from MN, so I know how to drive in snow which to some extent makes up for FWD. Snow tires would help I know, but given the unpredictability of Seattle snow and the short season, we're very unlikely to get them put on each year and instead would have all-season tires. We don't ski/hike extensively, but take occasional trips to the mountains.

- Car-like driving feel. We love the Integra and don't want a massive SUV feel. We don't put a huge value on the higher seating angle. I care a bit more about responsive steering and handling, she cares a bit more about smooth ride.

- As much fuel-efficiency as possible.

- Road/wind noise. We both really dislike it and generally want things as quiet as possible with the understanding we will hear the engine on quick acceleration.

- Price/value (another reason most competitors were ruled out). As configured the MSRP for these two are both right around $36k. I feel from some research that the TSX Sport Wagon can likely be negotiated down to at least $32k, while I'm not sure there's room for a ton of movement on the RDX.

After researching and test driving each vehicle here's how I look at the pros and cons:

RDX AWD without Tech

Pros: AWD, spacious rear seat, solid ground clearance
Cons: mediocre driving impression for me (although wife does not mind it), possibly higher or similar cost for a few less features, slightly more road noise

TSX Sport Wagon with Tech

Pros: Price, better MPG, more car-like and enjoyable ride, slightly less road noise
Cons: only FWD, rear seat slightly smaller, low ground clearance

We don't put a ton of value on the Tech package features, but want it on the TSX to get a rear-view camera. The navigation, upgraded sound, and power tailgate are nice-to-haves but not deal breakers. Has anyone gone through a similar decision or have any experience to share?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You'll probably want the extra 4" of rear legroom in the RDX for a rear facing car seat.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
This is an interesting question. I briefly looked at the SportWagon but eliminated it because DW does want the higher seating position and I didn't find the extra 6" of overall length to be a positive(coming from the Volvo XC60). IF the 6 cyl engine had been available, I might have looked just a tad longer at the Wagon.(Again, coming from a turbo 6 Volvo)

The TSX seems like a perfect 'grown-up' move from the Integra, especially with some live cargo to consider. IF the new RDX didn't exist, I think you could get your deal on the '12 SportWagon and be on your merry way. BUT, the RDX is a darned cool vehicle. However, eschewing the Tech package to keep the cost down on the RDX makes for a tricky comparison.

Does it come down to dollars? A better equipped Wagon for a few thousand less than the newfangled CUV? Not desiring the higher ride position muddies the waters a bit. I've always been a wagon guy, even owning two after our first CUV purchase in '01. You likely should save a couple hundred dollars a year on insurance wagon vs CUV...YMMV and all that.

Fuel costs may be within 10% +- depending on your approach to the 'premium fuel recommended' discussion. The wagon should be the slight favorite here(but some folks are reporting excellent mileage in the RDX).

If you keep this new vehicle 10+ years, who knows what the value will be at that time. Losing 1 year with the Wagon will be a wash, saving a few grand up front is the real money key, I believe. If we can believe the 'prices paid' reports here and on Edmunds, the deals can be found on the new RDX; but I have to think there are some REAL deals on remaining 2012 Wagons.

Just to confuse the issue and given the life expectancy of your vehicles, it would be hard not to seek out a serious deal on the RDX AWD w/Tech and have all the goodies along with the AWD. On the other hand, if you could get the Wagon under $32K and use the .9 % Acura financing, that would be an excellent vehicle for your needs(except for the occasional blizzard ).
The following users liked this post:
Erik816 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I think you should get the TSX wagon as it seems to meet more of your criteria at this point in your life. Both the TSX wagon and RDX are great cars. However, it sounds like you keep your cars a long time so I think blSwag is onto something. If you expect your children early in your ownership of the car then the RDX is the better choice. BTW - I also have a 98 integra that I bought new and they are very reliable. The TSX is more like the Teg than is the RDX.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the great thoughts so far. I agree the real savings (if any) on the wagon are the upfront savings for buying a 2012 model that has been on the dealer lot for some time. In the long run things are likely to even out because we do plan to keep this vehicle for some time.

The reasoning for the no-Tech on the RDX has more to do with how we value the features than a comparison with the TSX. The main thing we value is a rear view camera and that is thankfully base on the RDX. Nothing else there really excites us and seems worth the added cost just based on our priorities.

That rear seat on the RDX does make it seem like a more practical car for the future though, and combined with the occasional AWD use is making it seem like the "smart" option while my heart wants to drive the TSX more.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
I feel your dilemma. I've always preferred wagons myself, but AWD is a must for me. There just aren't many options out there that meet my criteria. I thought the ideal vehicle would have been the TSX wagon with the RDX's V6 and SH-AWD. I might have even settled for the first generation RDX's 4-cyl turbo. I recall a few years back there were rumors of a lifted Outback-style wagon in the works from the Acura brand, which of course turned out to be the disappointing ZDX. Personally, I think Acura missed an opportunity there. The Outback is a solid vehicle, but it's not exactly sporty, and the allroad is too pricey.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik816
That rear seat on the RDX does make it seem like a more practical car for the future though, and combined with the occasional AWD use is making it seem like the "smart" option while my heart wants to drive the TSX more.
I considered waiting for the RDX instead of getting a TSX wagon, but in the end I agreed with your heart. My last vehicle was a small SUV and I missed the handling of a car. My favorite feature of the tech package is the power lift gate.

The wagon's back seat isn't that big. Taller passengers don't have a lot of foot room. The RDX would be a better option if your planning to have a couple of kids and a dog. Post some pics when you make a decision.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The TSX wagon drives much nicer in my opinion. The new RDX drives like the empty-nester mobile it's intended to be.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The TSX wagon drives much nicer in my opinion. The new RDX drives like the empty-nester mobile it's intended to be.
So says the guy with the S2000 .

Couple more thoughts...if you really hate a noisy ride, the RDX 'should' be a touch louder in the wind noise dept. The taller profile would be a disadvantage, I reckon; but, I'll admit I'm not familiar with the noise level in the Wagon.

The 6" difference in length actually makes a difference in our ease of parking in the garage. Our XC70 wagon had to be nestled in 'just so'; but the XC60 and RDX make good use of the missing +- half-foot.

Also, there's a bit of 'climbing' involved with RDX ingress/egress, while the Wagon is lower than perfect for me. The XC70 wagon was the perfect height for ease of entry/exit. Not a huge factor, but something to consider. Those future kiddo car seats would have to be lifted to go into the RDX, while they would have to be lifted OUT of the Wagon...(somewhat...we're talking just a few inches either way). The pup could likely hop into the cargo area of the Wagon but the RDX cargo floor is a bit higher. IF either of the adults is tallish, you might try walking under the open liftgates of both vehicles. I popped my head on the XC60 gate a couple of times but the RDX gate gives me just enough clearance(I'm shrinking down from 5'11", but hiking boots make a difference.) The XC70 wagon lift-gate was clearly too low...never a doubt about ducking under it...a minor inconvenience when loading/unloading(It was mostly out of the way, but a wrong turn meant getting clobbered when you weren't careful).

I've read about the nifty storage compartment available with the removal of the spare in the Wagon...RDX has tiny nooks and crannies under the cargo deck.(But has a spare, of course).

It would be ever-so-slightly easier to carry 'stuff' on the top of the Wagon, given the 10" difference in height. Don't know if you will carry skis, bikes, stuff; but the roof of the Wagon seems more accessible.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I'm not following your logic here. If I were an empty nester, I'd get the Mark VII GTI. Now that I have a family, I want something roomy, smooth and quiet with good straight-line speed.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM
8th Gear

Anyone have opinions on the right time to buy the 2012 wagon if we go that route? We're not in a huge rush, so we could wait and see what else hits the market or wait out further price drops if we think they are coming. But it seems like no dealers in the area have the 2013 wagons (and I'm not even convinced they ever will). Does it make sense to wait a few months and see if the 2013 models start to arrive and then try to get the best discount or are dealers most likely to sell now? What does a dealer do with a car they don't sell for a year, try to auction if off somewhere?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Wagon will address the high mileage, low price needs. I looked at the wagon prior to pulling the trigger on the RDX. Was thinking the same -- wanted space and some utility over a traditional sedan, was never an SUV person, liked the idea of 25mpg almost regardless of how you drove it, which is what all the car reviews talked about, bullet proof reliability, reasonable cost and nice driving dynamics. Look up the car and driver and motor trend reviews from earlier in the year and they really liked it as a practical, albiet a little bland car. And it came in a classic dark blue....which I think would have been tremendous on the RDX, like it is on the MDX. However, felt a little narrow in the width department, seats weren't as comfortable, and once behind the wheel and getting the oomph of the RDX V6, wasn't sure I could live with the leisurely 8-9 second 0-60 of the wagon. And really liked the options and feel of the RDX...but spent probably 8-9K more for the privilege. But...haven't looked back...
Erik816 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, my family is in the same situation. Both my parents are due for new cars within the next year, and the TSX Wagon w/ Tech and RDX AWD w/ Tech keep showing up at the top of our list (along with the Q5 and allroad...) We live in Western NY, and handling in poor weather is also very important to us. We have always gotten by with FWD but AWD would be very nice to have in some cases, although we just got a 2013 Avalanche for those situations. I will be very interested in seeing what you end up choosing and final reasonings why

In regard to when to buy a vehicle, I have always heard that end of the month can be best, but not always. The only reason I would recommend waiting would be if you were thinking of leasing, which it appears you are not. There seems to be an attractive lease offer on the 2013 TSX SW although it appears that there are no 2013 Wagon's to be found on dealer lots..
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
The Outback is a solid vehicle, but it's not exactly sporty, and the allroad is too pricey.
The Outback is crap I just traded my 2013 on the RDX. Build quality is bad, creaks and rattles weeks after delivery. Voice for Nav and Phone is completely useless. Never got it to recognise ANY commands. No such issue with the RDX. I also had to manually force both my work Blackberry and my personal HTC to connect to the BT. My biggest pet peeve of the Subaru. The rear hatch was misalligned and took me several slams to get it to securly latch closed every time. A common complaint, the vehicle drifts at highway speed. Not secure and buttoned down like every other vehicle I've owned, including the RDX.

On the positive side, and ONLY positive. It is a tank in the snow. It never faltered once and I was using all season tires.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I'd buy the TSX wagon Tech before the 13 RDX.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced

According to truecar.com, the difference between the TSX wagon with tech and the base RDX with AWD is less than $500.00. Hence, unless the OP is going to get a super crazy deal on a TSX, the cost is a nonfactor.

Out of all the people who are recommending the TSX over the RDX, do you have rear facing car seats? Just curious how much weight you're giving the OP's desire to have good rear seat legroom.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik816
2013 RDX AWD (Base) and the 2012 TSX Sport Wagon (with Tech).
Don't forget they're cross-shopping the 2013 RDX vs. a 2012 wagon, not a 13.
Erik816 (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM
8th Gear

Still debating and may hold off on a purchase for a few months. As of today, we are leaning towards the RDX. My wife will primarily drive this next vehicle and she thinks the ride is perfectly fine. Looking long term, the increased rear seat room and AWD option means we might keep the RDX longer which is important to us. Then somewhere down the road we can replace the Integra with a sporty sedan like a TSX or TL (or the rumored TLX that might replace them) which should satisfy my desire to not drive an SUV.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CoachRick
So says the guy with the S2000
I also own a '11 TSX wagon
Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by blSwagger
I'm not following your logic here. If I were an empty nester, I'd get the Mark VII GTI. Now that I have a family, I want something roomy, smooth and quiet with good straight-line speed.
I'm simply referring to the average demographic of the RDX and other compact luxury SUV's.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm late to the party but thought I'd share my experience. I owned the 2010 TSX sedan and never could get comfortable on the seat bottom and found myself always fidgeting. A trek from FL to WI and back produced numb bums. You really hear the tire thrum on the road as well. I don't imagine those things have changed on the 2012 wagon. When the TSX sustained $9K in accident damage (NOT my fault) I tried a 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i limited. The ride was very comfortable but steering and braking...no comparison. Braking in particular was mushy and a bit unpredictable. I couldn't get used to almost rear ending someone at least once a month which was a real safety hazard, IMHO. Service wasn't good either and that ended up being the deciding factor. Dealer said the braking was normal and SOA blew off my concerns on the brakes knowing there was a recall on the cylinder because my VIN wasn't in the range. Although, the OB had the moonroof and rear view camera package I also missed all the little things you get on a base Acura. So, this past Saturday I drove down to my previous Acura dealer (a terrific one at that) to test drive the base 2013 RDX. Ended up trading in and driving off in a 2013 forged silver RDX. I did lease the 2007 RDX when it came out. I think Acura got the mix of soft and sporty right this time. Steering isn't as crisp on the 2013 but compared to the OB it's terrific. It's a shame Acura didn't keep the SH-AWD. That was awesome and one of the reasons I opted out of AWD on the new ride. Very happy so far though.