2013-14-15 dim lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 11:20 AM
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
2013-14-15 dim lights

Have replaced my halogen bulbs some time ago for LED but still dim for what should be safe driving. I decided to dive in a bit further on this problem. The projectors are not burning out as many here think is the case, The problem is the projectors were defective from the
time the lighting system was installed in our cars. The foil in the projectors is defective from what I have read and over a few years the reflectors are useless and hence the problem. The problem with the reflectors is the foil de laminates over time on it's own , not because it burned out
There was a class action suit back in 2014 for another acura vehicle that had this very problem and the lighting system was replaced by Honda. There is another investigation taking place now that is trying to add our RDX with halogen lights to the case that came before. Love the ride, but as for now I don't feel it's safe to drive around with just the dim lights on.There is a law firm that is starting this class action suit, and thinking about contacting them These lights are a know problem and have been for some time now.
Poolman is online now Report Post
Old 12-26-2022, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 398 Likes on 311 Posts
Everything you write here about a defective foil sounds like nonsense. Do you have pictures of what you're saying here, or did you make it all up?
Old 12-27-2022, 12:31 PM
Racer

Well the class action investigation can be found on the following link ,https://chimicles.com/acura-rdx-dim-...investigation/
As for the de laminating foil causing the problem, do some research on your own dime. I already have read up on the problem and really don't like feeding trolls.
Noticed over in the other spot I posted the above , you responded at 7:20 yesterday and stated that no matter what the problem with the head lights , that Acura
would never fix them but again on this part of the forum you came back at close to 8:00 and attacked my credibility by making the accusation of me making all of this up
Merry Christmas to you any how
Below was your response over on the other part of the forum
This is a problem with almost all lensed halogen reflectors, from all many automakers, because they are plastic. The manufacturer saves money so that their resource is enough for the warranty period, then the reflector burns out and you need to buy new headlights, this is business as usual and nothing personal. Therefore, if you want your reflectors to last a long time, turn on your headlights only at night time or switch to LEDs.

Last edited by Poolman; 12-27-2022 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Where are your pictures? How is it even possible to open a lawsuit without pictures proving anomalous peeling of the foil? It all sounds so stupid as if people want to get paid for their stupidity. What do you think, if you buy new tires and immediately make a good burnout, then you can sue the tire manufacturer for the fact that they are worn out and it is not safe to ride on them?
Old 12-29-2022, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts
I have heard of inherent issues with the halogen projectors in the pre-facelift 2G rdx, though I have never heard of a class-action suit about it. Given the useless state of the class-action suit of the 3G TL HFL issue (something well-documented and affecting literally every car), I wouldn't get my hopes up about anything related to the projector housings.

That being said, after some reading, it really looks like there hasn't been a one-size-fits all solution to the issue of dim headlights. The most effective solution appears to replacing the projectors - A daunting task if you're not comfortable baking headlights and drilling in retrofits. Sorry to hear about this, as it's obviously a potential safety issue. https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-...15-rdx-997642/

The following 2 users liked this post by TheSauceBoss:
kirbman (01-25-2023), Poolman (12-30-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 10:40 AM
Racer

Over on the problem and fixes part of the forum , one of our members made a great write up on the how to for making the fix, He installed angle eyes instead of staying with the H11 bulb size ,(which can denote Halogen or LED size).
Guess I need to inquire with him if the H11 LED bulb will work with the same projector he used. After checking out numerous youtube vids of baking the headlights open, I feel that wouldn't really be a problem. Problem would happen
if the Mrs caught me doing it. Link below is from the write up mentioned above.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-...15-rdx-997642/
Old 12-31-2022, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I had this issue with our 2014 RDX. Figured out what this issue was with a small borescope and mirror attachment on it to see perpendicular to the camera. The mirror coating was burnt and delaminating right by the bulb, worse on one side than the other. Rather than fight with replacing the projectors, I just bought aftermarket headlight housing from Rockauto. So far, after 3 years, I haven't had an issue. The lights are still as bright as after the housings were swapped, but it still isn't the greatest light output.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by imnuts
I had this issue with our 2014 RDX. Figured out what this issue was with a small borescope and mirror attachment on it to see perpendicular to the camera. The mirror coating was burnt and delaminating right by the bulb, worse on one side than the other. Rather than fight with replacing the projectors, I just bought aftermarket headlight housing from Rockauto. So far, after 3 years, I haven't had an issue. The lights are still as bright as after the housings were swapped, but it still isn't the greatest light output.
I recommend that you urgently switch to LED, because 3 years is not enough, they usually burn out after 5-6 years. https://www.x7sevenusa.com/product/x...adlight-bulbs/
Old 12-31-2022, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by altair47
I recommend that you urgently switch to LED, because 3 years is not enough, they usually burn out after 5-6 years. https://www.x7sevenusa.com/product/x...adlight-bulbs/
I'm not putting LEDs in and creating glare and potentially worse light output. Maybe you and others are fine with it, but I can't stand LEDs or HIDs that people put in their halogen headlights. Even the best options still have glare that shines into incoming driver's eyes, and bad options, which there are many, just blind everyone.
The following users liked this post:
carlitos_92 (01-20-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 10:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm not putting LEDs in and creating glare and potentially worse light output. Maybe you and others are fine with it, but I can't stand LEDs or HIDs that people put in their halogen headlights. Even the best options still have glare that shines into incoming driver's eyes, and bad options, which there are many, just blind everyone.
You are talking absolute nonsense, a physical projector lensed headlight cannot give blinding due to an internal partition, you are most likely confusing it with a reflector lens. Watch the video

Last edited by altair47; 12-31-2022 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Poolman
Have replaced my halogen bulbs some time ago for LED but still dim for what should be safe driving. I decided to dive in a bit further on this problem. The projectors are not burning out as many here think is the case, The problem is the projectors were defective from the
time the lighting system was installed in our cars. The foil in the projectors is defective from what I have read and over a few years the reflectors are useless and hence the problem. The problem with the reflectors is the foil de laminates over time on it's own , not because it burned out
There was a class action suit back in 2014 for another acura vehicle that had this very problem and the lighting system was replaced by Honda. There is another investigation taking place now that is trying to add our RDX with halogen lights to the case that came before. Love the ride, but as for now I don't feel it's safe to drive around with just the dim lights on.There is a law firm that is starting this class action suit, and thinking about contacting them These lights are a know problem and have been for some time now.
Poolman is online now Report Post
I had this same issue, and did not notice obvious delamination, but what I would say was the biggest problem on my 2014 was that the metalized finish inside the housing seemed to have "redeposited" on the inner surface of the projector lens itself, creating a one-way mirror. I tried halogens up to Silverstar Ultra in cost, and no matter what, the light output was still dangerously dim. I also tried H11 LEDs as well, and regardless what some may say - two back-to-back LEDs on a stick do not put light in the same place on the reflectors as the stock bulbs, and thus the light does not come out of the projectors the same way. In any case, with my messed-up reflectors LEDs were not the solution.

I ended up being one of the people that did the conversion to 2016+ OEM LED housings. It was a bit spendy, but in terms of effort, It wasn't much harder than the baking process, and the light output is by FAR much better than possible with the 2014 housings. Between that and the OEM fog lights with LED bulbs, it's probably one of the best mods I've ever done to a vehicle... https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-...3-15-a-969246/
Old 01-31-2023, 10:26 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey all, I inherited a 2013 RDX. I'm not experiencing dim lights, in fact, I'm quite impressed with their output. What I'd like to do is replace the yellowish tinted low beam and fog lights with white LEDs, and I guess replace the high beams to match. There are so any choices. Any recommendations on LEDs you like?
Old 02-28-2023, 07:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dim Headlights RDX 2nd Gen-PLEASE FILE A COMPLAINT WITH NHTSA!!!!

I have been battling the slowly degrading dimming headlight issue on my 2014 and my 2015 RDX, both vehicles bought used. I was in a head on collision totaling my 2015. Other posters are correct the issue is the reflective coating that deteriorates because the engineering of the vehicle and headlamp is to have the driving lights be on all the time the car is running so at 80,000+ the amount of heat has completely degraded the reflective coating housing. I had 1% lux reading as measured by an automotive illumination engineer ... yes 1%. I had to replace the headlights or not drive the car at night or illegally drive with my hi-beams on. I paid Acura dealer $2227 to perform the repair and both the dealer and Acura snubbed their nose at me and said they would do nothing to compensate me unless the NHTSA ordered a mandatory recall. Acura had a mandatory NHTSA recall to that era ILX for this same issue and Nissan has just settled a class action lawsuit for the same issue. The headlights were all manufactured by National Automotive Lighting (NAL). We Honda/Acura loyalists need to demand a full recall on the defective headlamps. Law firm Chimicles Schwartz Kriner & Donaldson-Smith LLP is trying to identify impacted Acura RDX owners and investigate/pursue filing a Class Action Lawsuit. They were the law firm successfully in the Nissan class action lawsuit. Impacted owners should file a formal complaint with the NHTSA at https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle. File a complaint about the danger of your dim headlights and share your personal costs, fear, danger, accident, death, or repairs you had to undertake because of Acura’s failure to engineer a safe vehicle and then its failure to remedy their defect. If we can band together and be successful with either the NHTSA and/or a class action lawsuit, we could be fully compensated for the replacement of the headlamps at Acura’s. These Acura are now being passed down to teenage drivers because they are generally a long mile reliable vehicle. Do you want your 16 year old inexperienced driver to not be able to see the road at night and veer off the road or into oncoming traffic and kill your 80 year old mother? Pass it on.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by raschkess
I have been battling the slowly degrading dimming headlight issue on my 2014 and my 2015 RDX, both vehicles bought used. I was in a head on collision totaling my 2015. Other posters are correct the issue is the reflective coating that deteriorates because the engineering of the vehicle and headlamp is to have the driving lights be on all the time the car is running so at 80,000+ the amount of heat has completely degraded the reflective coating housing. I had 1% lux reading as measured by an automotive illumination engineer ... yes 1%. I had to replace the headlights or not drive the car at night or illegally drive with my hi-beams on. I paid Acura dealer $2227 to perform the repair and both the dealer and Acura snubbed their nose at me and said they would do nothing to compensate me unless the NHTSA ordered a mandatory recall. Acura had a mandatory NHTSA recall to that era ILX for this same issue and Nissan has just settled a class action lawsuit for the same issue. The headlights were all manufactured by National Automotive Lighting (NAL). We Honda/Acura loyalists need to demand a full recall on the defective headlamps. Law firm Chimicles Schwartz Kriner & Donaldson-Smith LLP is trying to identify impacted Acura RDX owners and investigate/pursue filing a Class Action Lawsuit. They were the law firm successfully in the Nissan class action lawsuit. Impacted owners should file a formal complaint with the NHTSA at https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle. File a complaint about the danger of your dim headlights and share your personal costs, fear, danger, accident, death, or repairs you had to undertake because of Acura’s failure to engineer a safe vehicle and then its failure to remedy their defect. If we can band together and be successful with either the NHTSA and/or a class action lawsuit, we could be fully compensated for the replacement of the headlamps at Acura’s. These Acura are now being passed down to teenage drivers because they are generally a long mile reliable vehicle. Do you want your 16 year old inexperienced driver to not be able to see the road at night and veer off the road or into oncoming traffic and kill your 80 year old mother? Pass it on.
Stop spamming this message in all threads!
The following users liked this post:
tom3739 (07-12-2023)