UPDATE!! Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 07:54 PM
No h2o2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Trannie symptoms

Hmm in reading my older NSX posts, I also find where if you (made the mistake of) purchase(ing) an NSX with the automatic, you got the slightly less powerful engine with only 270 hp instead of the 290 hp version that is put in the 5/6 speed manual...hmm apparently the addition of any aftermarket powermods would tear out the tranny. Of course, a tranny made to do 270 ISN'T going to do 390 i suppose...but still..hmm...It looks like it is still done that way...I wonder what Honda/Acura will do in 2004 when the 400hp / v8 NSX is released.....maybe they should invest in some of the older Borg Warner 3 speed Autos...lol..

Steve

Originally posted by skyeflye
The symptoms I experienced were just slippage between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears, especially when the car was cold, and also especially when accellerating hard. The tach would just wind up into red-line territory between gears. It was like changing gears in a manual transmission without letting up on the gas while clutching. This was happening in normal auto mode (D5)...not in SportShift mode. I never tried to duplicate the problem in SportShift.

Other peeps had their trannies just outright die while driving. It would get stuck in first gear and make all kinds of horrible noises. I know that some of them had some of the same symptoms I had before that happened though. Mine never got that bad really. I'm actually surprised they replaced mine so readily... I guess the dealership could tell that it was on its way out and decided to "cash-in" on the labor hours that Acura would be covering for the job.

I've had no problems with my new one so far...crossed fingers!
Old 01-08-2002, 07:55 AM
Cruisin'

We all need to expose this problem to the Engineers

I blow my tranny on Monday 08/20002. A friend of mine has gone though 2 trannys in his CL-s. The Acura service phone number is 1 800-382-2238. We all need to expose this problem to the Engineers. They need to find out what is going on with the CL-s trannys! And recall if necessary.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:10 PM
No h2o2

Re: We all need to expose this problem to the Engineers

Hmm.. I wonder if consumer reports magazine has any place on their website to send complaints to like ours. Although I still have no issues, I expect some to pop up... Given that, I would not doubt that if Consumer Reports had enough customer complaints, they would file with the Nat Hwy Safety board..or whatever the place is that looks into things like firestone tires and Pinto gas tanks... And of course, every complaint filed with the BBB costs the dealership and/or Acura about 5 g's in legal fees to fight..If a hundred people file complaints..well..it's easy to do the math...

Steve...

patiently waiting for my trans to explode or just plain die....
Old 01-08-2002, 08:14 PM
No h2o2

Consumer Reports Website

I found this tonight while browsning about..There are other issues too, but this is one of the tranny issues...lol

'96-99 Acura (various models)
Bolt in transmission case could fall out, resulting in sudden loss of power to wheels. Also, vehicle could roll even though shifter is placed in "park." Either condition could cause accident.

Models:
96,617 cars made 12/95-4/98 including '96-99 3.5RL and '96-98 3.2TL.

What to do:
Have dealer install redesigned bolt.

next....:::

'98 Acura CL and Honda Accord
Vehicle could roll away even when shifter is in park.

Models:
33,966 cars made 9/97-1/98.

What to do:
Have dealer install collar on transmission parking pawl.

Home | Appliances | Autos | Electronics | Computers | More Ratings | Consumer advice
Privacy | Security | About us | Customer service | My account | Subscribe | Site map | Our products
Copyright © 1998-2001 Consumers Union of U.S., Inc.

Hmmmm I wonder if the dealer is aware of any these problems?

Steve
Old 01-09-2002, 12:34 PM
Cruisin'

Consumer Reports INFO

Dear Mr. Jeremias:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experiences with your Acura CL. As you know, monitoring and promoting both the quality and safety of automobiles is an integral part of our mission. We value your help in this effort. If you would like to provide us with any additional feedback on your Acura CL, I will personally forwarded your e-mail to our Auto Test and Editorial staff for their review and consideration for our future reports. I am sure that they, too, will find your e-mail to be of value.

You may also want to share your experiences with the following
organizations, which may be able to provide you with information and/or offer assistance:

1. Center for Auto Safety, 2001 S. Street, NW, Ste. 410, Washington, DC
20009-1160. The CAS compiles information on defective automobiles, ranging
from transmissions problems to paint problems. If you wish, you may send
them a letter sharing your experiences with them. Should they have any
information on your particular automobile, they will forward it to you,
along with helpful information and advice within 10 days from date of
receipt of their letter. They ask, but do not require, a $.55 SASE to help
keep their costs down. Or, you can visit their website at
http://www.autosafety.org

2. Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc. at 4200 Wilson Boulevard,
Arlington, VA 22203; 1-703-276-0100. The Council of Better Business
Bureaus, the umbrella organization for the BBBs, also provides programs and
publications for consumers, and helps to settle disputes with automobile
manufacturers through the BBB Auto Line program.

3. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, SW,
Washington, DC 20590, 1-800-424-9393 or 1-202-366-0123. The NHTSA assures
compliance by domestic and foreign motor vehicle and equipment
manufacturers with motor vehicle safety standards, automobile recalls, and
airline problems. You may wish to visit their Website at
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov, where you will be able to obtain information on
air bags, child safety seats, and automobile crash test results. You can
also search through an extensive list of automobile and automobile
equipment recall notices, and report any problems that you have encountered
with your automobile.

4. Your State Attorney General's Office, which helps to resolve individual
consumer complaints, conducts informational and educational programs, and
enforces consumer protection and fraud laws. You can find their telephone
number in the blue section of your telephone book.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences. Your interest
in Consumer Reports ® is truly appreciated. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Peter D. Harzewski
Customer Relations Representative
Old 05-07-2002, 11:18 PM
Cruisin'

ME TOO

I have a 3.2 TL 2001 - i had to get my transmission replaced too. My twin brother has the same car, we bought them at the same time. And he had to get it fix too.

Ryan
Old 05-08-2002, 05:48 PM
No h2o2

Re: ME TOO

Originally posted by ryanswann
I have a 3.2 TL 2001 - i had to get my transmission replaced too. My twin brother has the same car, we bought them at the same time. And he had to get it fix too.

Ryan
Sorryt o hear that...I am now at 14,845 miles on the CL-S and still issues. Just had it inspected and even the brakes are fine, which is surprising (I thought for sure I would need brakes the way I use them). I wonder if I'm just not hard enough on the car....
STeve
Old 05-16-2002, 06:05 PM
1st Gear

tranny question

what exactly happend o your car, my transmission leaked fluid today, had to get it towed to acura
Old 05-23-2002, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

Go After The Cock Suckers........

Honda/Acura is just like the GM's and Ford's of the world...... a bunch of greedy bastards that don't really give a rats ass about the customer UNTIL they make enough noise to cause them a public relations nightmare. My company is a supplier for Honda, they are the most ruthless pricks you could ever do business with.

Take the fuckers on, they will settle out of court just to keep this from turning into another Ford/Firestone fiasco or God forbid the Audi "unintentional acceleration" issue. Were tires REALLY to blame for Explorers rolling over?? Hell no, it's the people driving a high center of gravity vehicle at 90mph while they run their mouth on their cell phone, oblivious to the entire world around them. Tire blows, they panic, the damn thing rolls. Get some greedy lawyers involved, a grass roots press campaign to get people to sign up...........and Firestone is damn near out of business and Ford is out hundreds of millions. Pity them, hell no. Still a bunch of bullshit though.

Honda doesn't want ANYTHING to tarnish their wonderful reputation.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:50 AM
3rd Gear

'98 Accord V6.....
....."KKKKAAAABBBAAAAM!@$#&!!!!"

When I had my accord just over a year, the tranny started to hold rpm until about 1000rpm too late before shifting to second....causing a VERY powerful KAAAAAABAAAAAM! into second.

IT TOOK ME OVER A YEAR TO GET IT REPLACED!!! Orem, Utah dealership kept telling me "we've test driven it several times and have not been able to duplicate what you're complaining about".

Finally, I went to Stockton to Malone Honda in Salt Lake.....technician actually RODE WITH ME IN THE CAR.......and started laughing within 20 seconds. "I can't believe you've been driving this car with a tranny like THIS for sooo long!" Replaced the tranny within 48 hours.

If you go to the forums and read......you'll all become EVEN MORE steamed!! The Accord V6 tranny's must be at about 30% failure by now! LOL
My replacement has actually worked fine since being replaced. HOWEVER, I WANT AN '03 CL-S 6SPD AND I'M NOT SURE I HAVE THE CONFIDENCE IN HONDA TO MAKE THE BUY.

I feel your pain guys. I honestly do. I wanted to go postal on the dealership for that year that they were playing dumb about MY tranny. (I even brought-in 30 pages of printed-out forums and technical bulletins that stated the exact same tranny problem was a known issue).............this didn't work for me either. They simply said "there will always be people out there with a similar problem...and they will always try and make a problem seem common so they can get someone to sympathize".

Good Luck on the suit... I don't think you have much of a chance though.

Crazy-J
thesasquatch
Alpine 7995/PG ZX250/JL 10's
Pirelli P7000's
Old 05-24-2002, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

My first transmission just went out too!!!

I have a 2001 cl stype, logged in about 33K before my trannie just blew out on me today!! The irony is that I had just spent 500 bucks for the 30K required tune up 5 days before this all happened. I initially thought someone screwed up my engine when they did the tune up, but after reading these bulletins, I not too surprised now. I live in Monroe, LA and the closest dealer is 90 mi away in Shreveport, LA.. I originally bought my CL in Costa Mesa, CA and had it trucked over to Monroe and have been generally very happy with the car for last 2 years, until this happened. Can anyone tell me how I can go about getting compensation e.g. extended warranty, since I will no longer trust the 2nd trannie. Does it matter if I request the compensation at a dealer or Service dept. that I did not originally purchase my car at?
Old 05-29-2002, 05:44 PM
Racer

Hey Crazy-J-

If you do end up purchasing a 6-speed, please get your service done at Jody Wilkinson. I bought my CLS at Mike Hale, and their service department sucks! Jody Wilkinson treats me like gold. They replaced my failed tranny, and have done all of my other warranty work.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump ^^
Old 07-02-2002, 11:04 PM
Cruisin'

THE REASONS BEHIND TRANNY FAILURE FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH

The transmissions are failing because acura decided to switch to new transmission fluid that is not supposed to need cooling lines or any other means of cooling the fluid. Thus the fluid is supposed to self cool. This however is not happenning and thus the trannys are burning up and failing. The replacement is an update and the cl-s is not the worst of the trannys. The tl-s is by far the worst and at the acura dealer in greensboro nc that i work at we end up replacing around 10 to 15 a month. We have replaced cl-s transmissions however they are less numerous. Therefore if you are worried about your tranny go ahead and submit the problem to you local dealer because i believe that the trannys may be on back order. Currently i have had no tranny problems in my 01 cl-s however i recommend that you instruct your dealer to preform a tranny flush every 15k miles rather than 30k to insure problem free performance.

Good Luck and take the advice
-Bryant
Old 07-02-2002, 11:53 PM
10th Gear

tranny

i say go for it. i m on tranny number 2 right now number one went out at 16,800. either way if your going for the lemon law thing and you win they have to pay for your lawyers fees. the trouble is finding one that will take the case. and that wont ask for an outrageous retainer.

good luck.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

"97" Acura CL

Transmission died. Car has 51,000 miles. Complained about transmission 3 times. They found nothing wrong. I have documentation of complaint @ 32,000 miles. I am going to small claims court.

Arthur L. Finn---alf.alff@verizon.net
Old 10-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Masshole

Originally Posted by anubis1
Transmission died. Car has 51,000 miles. Complained about transmission 3 times. They found nothing wrong. I have documentation of complaint @ 32,000 miles. I am going to small claims court.

Arthur L. Finn---alf.alff@verizon.net
Small claims court has a ceiling on damages, I believe. Be sure you check that before you go.

Holy old thread, Batman!
Old 10-04-2004, 05:03 PM
www.drippinwet.com

i would just call acura and say that you have prior documentation of a complaint, its not like they don't know about it - what about the 7/100,000 ???
Old 10-13-2004, 10:29 PM
No h2o2

I am really curious of the age bracket we are talking. I am 40 now, and have gone through my various stages with street rods, high output modified RX-7's (that would leave my NSX in the dust), and a 928S4 that was sweet, but too expensive to keep on the road.
I love high performance, yet I use it only occasionally.

I have had no issues (yet) with my trans and I am dropping it off tomorrow at the dealer for the recall checkup. I leave for SouthAmerica on Friday, so they can have it for two weeks or so.

I have noticed the following, and I wonder if anyone else has; the "traction control' doesn't really work. That is to say, on a wet or snowy road, the wheels slip quit a bit before the trac contrl kicks in and limits the engine and wheelspin. Other than this issue, I have been totally satisfied with my service and work done at acura. I have even had the rotors and pads replaced all around: gratis. This was done at 29k, mainly due to me using a mag wheel cleaner and being too lazy to handwash the CL-s. The NSX never goes thru a car wash, but the CLS is my daily driver, and well, you know, out of time, go for convenience.
As for the brakes, they told me that with my driving pattern, that the brakes should NEVER have started to shimmy at only 29k, because after all, this IS an acura. I dunno. Are they just trying to keep me happy so that I go back and get a new TL in 05? Anyone else have the brake replacement issue? It would have been over a grand, but they did it gratis and warranty...I never heard of that being covered by ANY warranty.

I also realize that my NSX is all DRIVE BY WIRE, and that's nice, but it NEVER spins the wheels, no matter what I do. My CL-S has been checked by the dealer and they say they are ALL like that. They did admit that no one really stomped it, but rather, they hooked it up to their computer and found no errors or error log. I know firmware, but I don't know if theAcura CLS can store an event log to report issues, if that issue has passed and is not currently occurring at the time of the diagnostic.

Anyone else out there with a CL-S that does NOT spin the tires with minor to mod acceleration on wet roads? It takes very little for me to sit and spin until the computer decides to activate the braking and controls to limit the spin.

I also have to admit, that although I don't beat the hell out of my car, it DOES catch 2nd quite nicely on any day, but better on warm/hot days, which really impresses the hell out of the guys I work with...I wonder if anything will change after this "oil kit vs. trans replcmnt", or if they will just change the prog of the chip and let it be...? I only get on it on exit ramps, and around jackoffs in crappy lil zoomers...And in my 4 mile one way drive to work, that isn't often...

PS CL-S is auto, and the NSX is, of course 6 spd.

Ideas?

Steve
Old 10-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Masshole

^^ There has been a TSB on the brakes...many of us have had rotors and pads replaced under warranty.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Banned

12-18-2001, 06:25 AM wow this is an old thread.

So what ever happened, did he take acura to court or he settle of what was offered