UPDATE!! Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MikeS 18

I'm with Barry. Read this again. Then read it again. [/B]

Then think about your child in the backseat on a hilly, winding two lane with your transmission stuck in 2nd gear or completely inoperable.

Since Acura is unwilling to concede there is a problem, what makes you think a 2003 CL-S will be any better than the present model???

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
Old 12-19-2001, 06:05 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Re: Re: Re: Just something to think about.....SAFETY CONCERNS

Originally posted by QuickSilver

Chrysler wouldn't even be around in the absence of government intervention. Remember the Volare? I still remember the shock and amazement on the part of the salesman when the shift lever popped off in my hand during a test drive.

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
if you looking back that far, you should do some research before posting
Old 12-19-2001, 06:21 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by N1
I think he was referring to the 6 spd stick and not the 5 spd auto for 03. My guess. As to the hilly winding two lane, you do have neutral and a brake pedal as well as an emergency brake, so regardless of whether you are going up or down, you would be ok. Unless of course there is a semi or a Suburban behind you, however you would be fuct regardless of whether you are driving a cl or a civic or an mdx in that situation.
Ever get stuck on a road with poor visibility? A friend of mine lost his college bound son this year when his car was struck from behind on a two way. The car was stuck due to mechanical failure.

Was the car an Acura? No. Could this happen if the tranny fails? You bet. If the problem is widespread and Acura is engaged in an ass covering action will something similar eventually occur on a CL? Probably.

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods.)
Old 12-19-2001, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just something to think about.....SAFETY CONCERNS

Originally posted by acura_service
if you looking back that far, you should do some research before posting
Don't need research on this one. FWIW, in my younger days I did quite a bit of research and analysis on Chrysler Corporation.

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
Old 12-19-2001, 06:28 PM
www.drippinwet.com

if the tranny fails?
QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods.)
if the road gave way, if the car exploded, if an asteroid hit it, if a drunk driver could not stop, lots of people are killed everyday in an automobile, anything can happen at anytime, we assume some risk in driving
Old 12-19-2001, 06:29 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just something to think about.....SAFETY CONCERNS

Don't need research on this one. FWIW, in my younger days I did quite a bit of research and analysis on Chrysler Corporation.

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
i've delt with them for years on a day to day basis
Old 12-19-2001, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just something to think about.....SAFETY CONCERNS

i've delt with them for years on a day to day basis
Think their handling of customer complaints may have rubbed off on you....

Based on my experiences with the CL-S, I think Honda learned all the wrong lessons from their detailed examination of the Neon.....

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
Old 12-19-2001, 06:40 PM
www.drippinwet.com

no i've openly stated i could see both sides, your opinions are very one sided, also chrysler has one of the highest "goodwill" out of warrnaty adjustment percentages in the industry to attempt to satisfiy customers, but i would assume you know that from your research and analysis on Chrysler Corporation
Old 12-19-2001, 06:42 PM
Advanced

if the road gave way, if the car exploded, if an asteroid hit it, if a drunk driver could not stop, lots of people are killed everyday in an automobile, anything can happen at anytime, we assume some risk in driving
Interesting that three of the four cases you've highlighted above don't involve mechanical failure.

Acura has a big influence on the level of risk if Acura is not proactively warning customers of known manufacturing or materials defects that might cause a catastrophic failure at an inopportune time.

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
Old 12-19-2001, 06:48 PM
Advanced

no i've openly stated i could see both sides, your opinions are very one sided, also chrysler has one of the highest "goodwill" out of warrnaty adjustment percentages in the industry to attempt to satisfiy customers, but i would assume you know that from your research and analysis on Chrysler Corporation
Care to cite your source? Couldn't possibly have been an MB or ChryCo funded study....

I am reminded of a quote involving, "lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I also question the premise that "warranty adjustment percentages" directly translate to customer satisfaction. Let's take the completely unrelated example of replacing a faulty transmission with another defective transmission. Does this really solve the problem? No. Statistically would it show as an attempt to build customer "goodwill" by taking a warranty "action?" Yes.

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
Old 12-19-2001, 06:51 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Interesting that three of the four cases you've highlighted above don't involve mechanical failure.

Acura has a big influence on the level of risk if Acura is not proactively warning customers of known manufacturing or materials defects that might cause a catastrophic failure at an inopportune time.

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
your blowing it way out of proportion, would you say a stall might cause catastrophic failure at an inopportune time? - how many cars would you say have stalled since 1997 - do you ever see a warning from any mfg saying that a stall or other parts failure could cause a catastrophic failure at an inopportune time, does every building you walk into have a representative there telling you that there is a chance that the elevator could fail and it might cause a catastrophic failure at an inoportune time, or that the roof may collapse and cause a catastrophic failure at an inoportune time?

now i'm still curious to hear if your transmission has failed?
Old 12-19-2001, 06:53 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Care to cite your source? Couldn't possibly have been an MB or ChryCo funded study....

I am reminded of a quote involving, "lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I also question the premise that "warranty adjustment percentages" directly translate to customer satisfaction. Let's take the completely unrelated example of replacing a faulty transmission with another defective transmission. Does this really solve the problem? No. Statistically would it show as an attempt to build customer "goodwill" by taking a warranty "action?" Yes.

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
JD Powers - Good enough for you?

don't confuse "warranty" with an out of warranty adjustment
Old 12-19-2001, 07:03 PM
Advanced

JD Powers - Good enough for you?

don't confuse "warranty" with an out of warranty adjustment
No. JD Powers surveys are literally bought and paid for by automobile manufacturers.

Out of warranty adjustment or warranty item, the fact is that taking action does not automatically translate to customer satisfaction.

I really hope you are not seriously going to argue that Chrysler is a model corporate citizen where customer satisfaction is concerned....

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
Old 12-19-2001, 07:22 PM
Adult Supervision

Then think about your child in the backseat on a hilly, winding two lane with your transmission stuck in 2nd gear or completely inoperable.

Since Acura is unwilling to concede there is a problem, what makes you think a 2003 CL-S will be any better than the present model???

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
The point is this. Possible danger is not going to win you in court unless the wheels come flying off or the brakes totally fail or the steering dies. Being disabled is not perceived as a dangerous situation. So what will you win? A lot of money? no they have more than you and will wear you out. Will you win a new car? Ypu would be better negotiating this separately to a court action. Do what you want, but going the court route on something like this rarely got anywhere. Look at the Explorer. I got $400 of new tires - nice but certainly not a windfall and I didn't get to have them buy the car back...

But do what you want - its a free and litageous country!
Old 12-19-2001, 07:23 PM
www.drippinwet.com

No. JD Powers surveys are literally bought and paid for by automobile manufacturers.

Out of warranty adjustment or warranty item, the fact is that taking action does not automatically translate to customer satisfaction.

I really hope you are not seriously going to argue that Chrysler is a model corporate citizen where customer satisfaction is concerned....

QuickSilver
'01 CL-S (No Mods)
do you have facts to back that first statement up?

i think anyone could agree that doing nothing is certainly not going to satisfy anyone, and that helping a customer will make a percentage happy

Chrsyler CSI is higher per zone than alot of other mfg's

i know more about the industry than you do, in all fairness, i'm sure you know about your proffesion more than i would
Old 12-19-2001, 07:24 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by N1

I don't know. This thread is getting too personal for folks. I could be struck by lightening tomorrow standing in front a Krispy Kreme donut shop enjoying a chocolate covered goodie. I could die of ebola from that monkey I touched at the pet shop. Or some damm crazy mofo might decide to crash some airplanes into my cubicle as I sit there browsing acura-cl.com. Point being lot things could happen that are not controllable. It may even be fate. However, you can't let that from living your life. If the CL issue is so disturbing then the only way to ensure that you will not die a horrible death from it, would be to sell the CL asap and drive around in a X5, which apparently is the safest vehicle on the road according to the insurance institute.

but even then, if you launch yourself off a cliff, you will most certainly will die as well. A few folks have complained about this tranny issue, however how many folks have actually died due to this issue? None. You guys can do whatever you want with your cl's, however from everything I have read, the problem is isolated, problem is not so common that there will be an official recall, probably some type of voluntary service campaign in the future, and is not an issue that Acura can't solve.

I am curious, are 02 TL/CL folks affected as well? I'm curious, cause it seems that the problem isolated to the 01 models and especially the type s.
Well Said!
Old 12-19-2001, 07:59 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Vehicles are not worth getting upset over, simply sell or trade it,
Old 12-20-2001, 08:49 AM
Resident DJ

Actually...

It's not actually the car that people get upset over. I think it's probably the money. Selling/Trading a car after so short a time owning it is a bad financial move because of the loss involved...obviously.

BUT

to reinforce your point, acura_service, money is not worth getting upset over either...

We are not in wheelchairs. We are not dying of cancer. We do not have Lupis. You want to see some people who have something to bitch about, go over to WebMD.com and read some of their support forums.

Look. My tranny failed. That's right. Am I pulling my hair out about it? No. I never did. I'm sure others have had a much worse time than I have regarding all this, but I just try to think about 4 to 5 years in the future when I'm bitching about the problems in my new M5 or whatever. :P

The only mistake I made was to put my faith in a machine. Whenever you do that, you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. All machines break eventaully, sometimes before we "think" they should. I agree that every single Honda, rolling off the line should perform absolutely perfectly, for years. Unfortunately that just isn't realistic.

Bad things do sometimes happen to good people, who make good decisions. Just be glad you're not one of the poor saps who made the "informed" decision to escape the flames by traversing UP the stairs when the plane crashed in to tower 1.

peace!
Old 12-20-2001, 06:04 PM
www.drippinwet.com

you said it
Old 12-22-2001, 07:26 PM
Banned

Path: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net!newsfeed2.earth link.net!newsfeed.earthlink.net!netnews.com!news.m axwell.syr.edu!out.nntp.be!propagator-SanJose!in.nntp.be!pd2nf1so.cg.shawcable.net!resid ential.shaw.ca!news2.calgary.shaw.ca.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: alt.autos.gm
References: <0u952u4avpk6nr5pqevdtbnn9pp653kb0f@4ax.com>
Subject: Re: Question about Transmissions
Lines: 20
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
Message-ID: <9MSU7.36277$ip4.687634@news2.calgary.shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 03:05:41 GMT
NNTP-Posting-Host: 24.66.94.143
X-Complaints-To: abuse@shaw.ca
X-Trace: news2.calgary.shaw.ca 1008990341 24.66.94.143 (Fri, 21 Dec 2001 20:05:41 MST)
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 20:05:41 MST
Organization: Shaw Residential Internet
X-Received-Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:06:43 PST (newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net)
Xref: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net alt.autos.gm:80424

I think they're pretty reliable compared to some other brands. I don't think GM has made any really infamous models like Ford's AXOD that they used to put in the Taurus, or some of Chrysler's truck transmissions..

Actually, BMW is using a GM transmission in some of their cars now. It's a 5 speed, I don't think GM is using it in any of their own vehicles yet, but I think I remember reading that they will be soon.

I totally forgot about Fords wonderfull Taurus tranny. I don't know of any lawsuits involving those. Here's a good way to shaft customers. In Ford's warranty (my GF's dad had this happen to him) You get a three or four year warranty... The tranny goes out its covered by the warranty. Well, the new tranny comes with its own warranty for 25,000 miles. So if you drive more than 25,000 miles on that tranny and it blows up, you get dicked - even if you're still in the four (three?) year warranty for the whold car. Sucks doesn't it?

Path: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net!newsfeed2.earth link.net!newsfeed.earthlink.net!netnews.com!news.m axwell.syr.edu!cpk-news-hub1.bbnplanet.com!news.gtei.net!newsfeed1.cidera. com!Cidera!border1.nntp.aus1.giganews.com!nntp.gig anews.com!nntp3.aus1.giganews.com!bin2.nnrp.aus1.g iganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Message-ID: <3C22A957.AF4CE962@texXas.net>
Organization: Houston, Texas, usa
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.08 [en] (Win95; U)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: alt.autos.gm
References: <0u952u4avpk6nr5pqevdtbnn9pp653kb0f@4ax.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 8
NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 21:17:20 CST
X-Trace: sv3-jd5OGd9BgtO9UIax330htJX/4lCZ0LStKCMfSJiC6BcBMkdEe/m9PdGJI90ZPqDLY2IO6MAOhUK/WRq!0LU9jKgp72qmO7ARdeJJb8EQOZw+g1i1ebLIsL8GKA9K04 b02TKaeOi1OhuLoA==
X-Complaints-To: abuse@GigaNews.Com
X-DMCA-Notifications: http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html
X-Abuse-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 03:17:20 GMT
X-Received-Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 19:17:36 PST (newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net)
Xref: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net alt.autos.gm:80396

Same as most US made cars - take good care of it and it should
last at least 200k miles.

Yea? Well I still won't buy one...

Path: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net!newsfeed2.earth link.net!newsfeed.earthlink.net!netnews.com!newshu b2.rdc1.sfba.home.com!news.home.com!news2.nash1.tn .home.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: alt.autos.ford
References: <%IfU7.62017$RG1.34357621@news1.rdc1.sfba.home.com >
Subject: Re: Late model Taurus / Sable transmissions ?
Lines: 41
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4522.1200
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4522.1200
Message-ID: <_pRU7.2847$Yj6.721235@news2.nash1.tn.home.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 01:33:46 GMT
NNTP-Posting-Host: 24.181.84.129
X-Complaints-To: abuse@home.net
X-Trace: news2.nash1.tn.home.com 1008984826 24.181.84.129 (Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:33:46 PST)
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:33:46 PST
Organization: Excite@Home - The Leader in Broadband http://home.com/faster
X-Received-Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 17:33:47 PST (newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net)
Xref: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net alt.autos.ford:150912

97 Taurus LX with a 3.0 200-HP Duratec engine- Just got it back from the
tranny shop today!

Fluid serviced regularly at 30k intervals, then at 86K miles (just 4k
before the next change), a pump shaft seal blows and ends up eating the pump shaft, shaft bearing, clutches got hot, etc. Basically a total rebuild ($2,000 US). Although I realize every car has some inherent weaknesses, my next car probably won't be another Ford. The weak trannys on the later Fords are probably the most frustrating and expensive thing to have as a weak point. I can deal with almost any other weakness since basic repairs don't usually involve thousand dollar figures just to remove & replace. Labor alone on one of these runs about $1,000 to R&R/overhaul. I watched most of the removal and tear-down on my car, and I couldn't believe the amount of crap just to get it out of the car. The entire sub-frame of the front end has to come out. What a PITA! ALL of the other non-Ford autos my family and I have ever owned have done over 125,000 miles and NEVER had a transmission problem. This includes a Pontiac, VW, and 2 Hyundais!

Greg

Looks like we have a future Acura owner here. Should I tell him about this board?
Old 12-22-2001, 07:45 PM
No h2o2

Hmmm..I only have 9400 on my CL-s right now, and it performs flawlessly. Of course, I drive a bit less energetic than some of my friends who burn out at every light and who force downshifts and race continuously. But we are kind of curious as to your driving habits..Even the most abusive of us never had any trouble or issues..Is it possible that your Acura was in an accident before you ever got it? or is it that the dealer inyour area doesn't have a good tranny guy..

My Diamante suffered a limp mode problem which cost me $1500 to fixm at the shop recommended by every dealer I talked to. Used or new, they said go to Landis transmission and that they were the experts. Everyone was always pleased..Then they met me... After waiting 35 days for them to work on it and fix it, I picked it up one morning and as I was driving to work, on the beltway, 1 1/2 hours away, parts of my car started to fall out from underneath striking other cars nearby and in back of me...

Freaking out, the friendly man told me to bring it back and they would correct any issues. I got to work though and the one guy who is a weekend warrior dragster lifted the hood and laughed til the tears fell...they forgot to put ANY of the motor mounts back in..,

I dropped it off with a list of what he found wrong. They called the next morning after fixing it for the second time. I picked it up again to find that one the highway the whole thing creaked and my cruise control no longer worked. Showing my racer boy waht they did, he just shook his head and said SUE THEM..they are assholes..and he was right..they put ONE of the motor mounts in and not the other two cause they couldnt find the parts. And they damaged one of the control wires to the enigne computer. They asked for the chance to fix it the third time, and this time, with the threat of BBB, they got it right...

If you threaten someone with the BBB, they know right off the top it will cost them $5000.00 in legal fees to fight it and have it expunged. And if you win..well, that just opens more cans of worms for them to fight.. MY best idea is to let them try the third time, and let them give you a loaner IDENTICAL to yours; the lemon laws in pa say if it isn't fixed in three attempts, that you get your full purchase price refunded to you. Not sure about your state. Either that or they give you a new NSX for your hassle.

(My 01 NSX should be here around 1 / 14 or so...can hardly wait..)

Does your state have a lemon law? Did you you buy it used?

Steve
Old 12-23-2001, 01:11 PM
Banned

this guy makes sense...

Path: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net!

newsfeed2.earthlink.net!newsfeed1.earthlink.net!ne wsfeed.earthlink.net!newsfeed.direct.ca!look.ca!ne wshub2.rdc1.sfba.home.com!news.home.com!news2.nash 1.tn.home.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
References: <rkca2uccj16f5ecfv83ffuq6s8b1nifqej@4ax.com>
Lines: 39
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4522.1200
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4522.1200
Message-ID: <NwkV7.6791$Yj6.1817620@news2.nash1.tn.home.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:57:17 GMT
NNTP-Posting-Host: 24.181.84.129
X-Complaints-To: abuse@home.net
X-Trace: news2.nash1.tn.home.com 1009112237 24.181.84.129 (Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:57:17 PST)
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:57:17 PST
Organization: Excite@Home - The Leader in Broadband http://home.com/faster
X-Received-Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:57:17 PST (newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net)
Xref: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net alt.autos.ford:150991

I don't think it's a good idea to stereotype any brand of vehicle because of feedback from a small newsgroup like this. I found myself falling into this same trap last week looking for answers to my tranny problem. Newsgroups typically consist of people WITH problems, not without, so you're getting a very slanted view from the start. If you go to almost any other newsgroup (Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Honda,etc.) and ask the exact same question (just
change the make), you'd be surprised how many "yea their trannys are junk" responses you would get. I feel you might get a lot less biased info from Consumer Reports. Look at their repair history charts. Anyway, you asked for our personal experiences, so here's mine. Take it with a grain of salt.

97 Taurus LX with a 3.0 200-HP Duratec engine- Just got it back from thetranny shop Friday, 21 Dec 01.

Fluid/filter serviced regularly at 30k intervals, then at 86K miles (just 4k before the next change), a pump shaft seal blows and ends up eating the pump shaft, shaft bearing, clutches got hot, etc. Basically a total rebuild ($2,000 US). Labor alone on one of these runs about $1,000 to R&R/overhaul.
I watched most of the removal and all of the tear-down on my tranny, and I couldn't believe the amount of crap just to get it out of the car. The entire sub-frame of the front end has to come out. ALL of the other non-Ford autos my kids and I have ever owned have done over 125,000 miles and NEVER had a transmission problem. This includes a Pontiac, VW, and 2 Hyundais! That being said, my dad had an Escort go over 200K without trannyproblems but a Windstar with repeated problems.

Greg

So does this guy...

Path: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net!newsfeed2.earth link.net!newsfeed.earthlink.net!netnews.com!xfer02 .netnews.com!newsfeed1.cidera.com!Cidera!portc03.b lue.aol.com!audrey04.news.cs.com!not-for-mail
Lines: 23
X-Admin: news@cs.com
Date: 23 Dec 2001 16:57:01 GMT
References: <3C25FEFC.81563F38@yahoo.com>
Organization: CompuServe (http://www.compuserve.com/)
Message-ID: <20011223115701.20556.00000630@mb-cp.news.cs.com>
X-Received-Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 08:57:37 PST (newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net)
Xref: newsmaster1.prod.itd.earthlink.net alt.autos.ford:151015

I had a 1991 Oldsmobile Calais with 140K miles on it and the transmission started acting up on it. When it was cold and first started up in the morning, it wouldn't shift up into automatic overdrive anymore until you got up to 70 or so, later in the day it would upshift normally around 45. I saw the finger writing "You're about to spent a crapload of money" on the wall, so I traded it for my Galaxie before it stopped shifting altogether

I think that all transmissions, Ford or non-Ford, are pretty much the same, as the basic engineering has been sorted out, it's just a matter of build quality, how much maintenance you do, and how much stress YOU put on the thing. Build quality varies from day to day (remember the old rule about never buying a car built on Monday or Friday?). I remember reading one of those books from the 70s or 80s on how to keep your car running for a long time that stated that the difference in cars (reliability of chevy engines vs. ford engines and so on)was nullified by the treatment of the car after it left the showroom floor.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:49 PM
Race Director

This thread is supposed to talk about the lawsuit against Acura. Show me the money!
Old 12-24-2001, 01:39 AM
Racer

Re: UPDATE!! Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2

Dude,
Give me you lawyers Number. My trammy went out on me at 13303. I know it will go out again. It's a TL-S. I don't know how long it'll take to fix my car. It broke like two weeks ago. And they told me they don't know how long it will take to get the part and etc. I wanted my car fixed by newyears but they said don't count on it.

Mr.T
Old 12-27-2001, 01:05 AM
Safety Car

This thread is actually more or less intelligent...

Well, I am happy to say that so far my car's tranny has been ok. I've owned it for over a year and still (knock on wood) on the original tranny. DOM 6/00.

However, my friend's CLS has not been as pleasant. His car is one of the earlier models, prolly DOM 2/00, and he had a tranny replaced last year, prolly after 3 months of ownership. However, this year his tranny is acting up again, deffinetly needed a replacement for the past 4 months. He has not went in with it yet because of the time issues. He is actually thinking of going the lemon law route as well. After reading all of this (that took an hour :p) I really dont think he has anything to sue on. His best bet is to go and complain his ass off to the dealer and see what happens. Sadly to say, but this will be only his second tranny , how ironic that whole 'only' thing.
The rule in PA is three, so I guess he will bite the bullet and go with it.

As far as this whole class action issue, it all depends on numbers. I think jjc01 is taking the right step, however it might be tough to fight Honda, so it might easier to go against the dealer. Obviously, if there is an option to get an '03 in replacement, he should take that, but somehow I doubt that offer is on the table.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:55 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting ...

Having read through this tread, one thing is clear, there are a lot of frustrated people. Having spent $30k on an '02 CL-S that spent more time in the air than on the road, I would imagine that my frustration level would be high as well.

In my two months of ownership (almost 3) .. bought the car on Halloween (it would appear to be appropriate), I can say that I am NOT has happy with it as I was with my '98 GS-R. The build quality is far below that of the GS-R - I still can't figure out how Acura let a car with a grossly misaligned driver's door out of the plant - not to mention the paint scrapes on the drivers door sill - even the dealer should have caught this. But however it got through, it got through and it is now my issue to deal with. Though I have already mentioned to Acura that this will most likely be my last Acura purchased pasted on my first 90 days of ownership due to their poor build quality. No response of course.

As far as the transmission is concerned, I have noticed some interesting 'characteristics' with it that I can't seem to explain. But have not had anything 'formal' happen that has caused me to believe that my safety is at risk.

I worked in several GM plants as an application coder for their assembly robots and I can tell you that some of their assembly methods are amazing (letting 400 cars through without roof sealant and saying "let the dealers deal with it as needed"). The rubber mallet treatment is my favorite for aligning panels on the completed vehicles. Anyways, I'm sure that other manufacturers have their own 'horrors' as well.

The fact of the matter is, Acura is building a product that has hundreds of thousands of pieces to it that all require precise interaction in order to function. There are bound to be design/assembly/material issues in the first few years (anyone remember the saying "never buy a first, or second, year GM vehicle"? And we, as Acura owners, expect higher reliability from our vehicles, dealers and manufacturer. I know I do .. I buy based on perceived quality .. and will pay a higher price for items I perceive to be better.

I ended up in a meeting with the Acura's Midwest manager after I sent a series of letters up the chain of command, and loggine about 100 calls with their 800#) about this piss poor speedometer accuracy (my GS-R was 9.5% off .. within Acura's non-adjustable 10%). He told me that my calls were repeatedly showing up on their reports (which was my intentions) and making some execs ask some questions ...

I have spoken with my dealer (the salesman himself) about this issue with the tranny, and he admitted that they have seen several '01s come back with the problem. As I expect he would, he told me that there was a limited production date run with the 'flawed transmission' (nice PR work).

As for me, I am monitoring the posts watching for '02s (I have a series 2 tranny) with failed tranny's to see if the count increases. If mine decides to go, I will be nice the first time. After that however, I will not tollerate it and will do what I did after Zimbrick's (Madison WI) body shop did a total and complete hack job on my GS-R and go off on the dealer while with a customer (and they lost the sale that day after the customer started inquiring about my problems) - you get noticed real quick when you chase customers out of their dealership!

-Andy
Old 12-28-2001, 12:03 PM
Rod
Drifting

Re: Interesting ...

Originally posted by DivinDude
I have spoken with my dealer (the salesman himself) about this issue with the tranny, and he admitted that they have seen several '01s come back with the problem. As I expect he would, he told me that there was a limited production date run with the 'flawed transmission' (nice PR work).
By "limited production date run" he must've meant all 2001 models because just on this board alone we've seen tranny failures on cars with just about every build date for 2001s I believe.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:35 PM
Race Director

Re: Re: Interesting ...

Originally posted by Rod

By "limited production date run" he must've meant all 2001 models because just on this board alone we've seen tranny failures on cars with just about every build date for 2001s I believe.
See what I mean? You can't even talk about the problem with someone "not in the industry" because they won't even accept the truth; nothing less than total catastrophic failure in every single CL on the road.

You don't know how the dates are derived, either for the whole car or the tranny separately. Just because your tranny has failed from a July 2000 car and a January 2001 car doesn't mean they don't both have the same tranny from the "limited production date run".

And just because you tranny failed outside the "limited production date run" doesn't mean the "limited production date run" is not true. Good trannys do fail too, you know?
Old 12-29-2001, 02:14 PM
Rod
Drifting

Re: Re: Re: Interesting ...

Originally posted by kensteele
See what I mean? You can't even talk about the problem with someone "not in the industry" because they won't even accept the truth; nothing less than total catastrophic failure in every single CL on the road.

You don't know how the dates are derived, either for the whole car or the tranny separately. Just because your tranny has failed from a July 2000 car and a January 2001 car doesn't mean they don't both have the same tranny from the "limited production date run".

And just because you tranny failed outside the "limited production date run" doesn't mean the "limited production date run" is not true. Good trannys do fail too, you know?
I figured this whole thing would be brought up and you are right, but it still sounds like BS to me. If this is true, why hasn't more info been released?
Old 12-29-2001, 04:45 PM
Racer

Does anybody remember the movie fight club If the cost of the recall is less than the cost of civil suit than there will be no recall.
It sucks if they applie this in the real world but it sounds true.

MR.T
Old 01-01-2002, 11:42 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally posted by Mr.T
Does anybody remember the movie fight club If the cost of the recall is less than the cost of civil suit than there will be no recall.
It sucks if they applie this in the real world but it sounds true.

MR.T

You mean if the cost of the recall is less than the cost of the civil suit, then there will be no recall, right? Anyways, as for the recall, there are so few people having this problem that it wouldn't make any sense at all for Acura to issue a recall. I'm on my 2nd transmission right now and so far it has worked fine.
Old 01-01-2002, 01:03 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I do not know how old you're car is, but I would press hard for a new car, less depreciation for mileage. I would not be good to deal with after the 2nd tranny went. BTW, my 2002 is okay, and has 12,000 miles on it. I wonder what the percentage of trannt problems relate to TL and TLS models?
Old 01-02-2002, 06:00 PM
3rd Gear

What about 2002CLS

It looks like the tranny problems are with 2001 CL's. What about 2002's? Anyone experience problems with them?
Old 01-03-2002, 02:22 PM
Advanced

What about the production number of the vehicles. Did that have any relevance to the bad trannies? A certain number of vehicles will get faulty equipment installed on the production line until enough complaints or information is learned. Afterwards the problem is fixed and production is continued without the problem. Just like the moonroof (chopper sound) and the rear deck rattle.

Just my two cents.

Deckard
Old 01-03-2002, 05:29 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
My 02 is on it's second trannny (1500 miles!)

FYI It's definitely not confined to the 2001 model yr...

I just got mine back from its 'trannny transplant' and everything seems basically ok, except for occasional wierd drops in powerwhile cruising at highway speeds..don't know if this is related to the tranny or not. Oh and there's a strange burning smell coming from the rear wheels of the car now? Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Luckily I leased my car for the length of the warranty period. I feel bad for people out of their warranty period who's trannies are just waiting to take a %&!@ on them. Alot of people choose Hondas so they can drive them 200k+ trouble free miles..not in a CL they won't. It's a shame Honda is dealing with this problem so poorly. Customer satisfaction because of high quality standards has been their biggest word of mouth selling point. With that gone all theyre left with is fairly mediocre looking cars.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My 02 is on it's second trannny (1500 miles!)

Originally posted by 2ndtrannycls
FYI It's definitely not confined to the 2001 model yr...

I just got mine back from its 'trannny transplant' and everything seems basically ok, except for occasional wierd drops in powerwhile cruising at highway speeds..don't know if this is related to the tranny or not. Oh and there's a strange burning smell coming from the rear wheels of the car now? Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Luckily I leased my car for the length of the warranty period. I feel bad for people out of their warranty period who's trannies are just waiting to take a %&!@ on them. Alot of people choose Hondas so they can drive them 200k+ trouble free miles..not in a CL they won't. It's a shame Honda is dealing with this problem so poorly. Customer satisfaction because of high quality standards has been their biggest word of mouth selling point. With that gone all theyre left with is fairly mediocre looking cars.

RE: the "weird" smell -- can you get to a local service station and have a sniff and/or a look under the car. One of the members reported a smell under the car after a tranny fix and found his tranny leaking
Old 01-06-2002, 04:25 PM
No h2o2

Re: My 02 is on it's second trannny (1500 miles!)

Could or would someone tell me exactly WHAT is the problem(s) with the 01 trannies. I mean, I keep hearing about replacements but no symptomology as to what the rest of us should be looking for in our cars. Is there slippage?, complete failure?, or limpmode issues? I'm at 10k now and have experienced no issues yet, but have only recently started to 'exercise' the car.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-06-2002, 06:24 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Update on 'wierd smell' after tranny replacement

Thanks EricL...I looked under the car myself and didnt notice anything leaking, but I had a mechanic smell it and he said it was definitely the smell of burnt transmission fluid. He said it's actually common and normal for that to happen after a tranny replacement due to the way they seal the new tranny onto the motor....hmmm...I think I'll take it to the acura dealer just in case though..can't hurt right?
Old 01-07-2002, 12:31 AM
Resident DJ

Trannie symptoms

The symptoms I experienced were just slippage between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears, especially when the car was cold, and also especially when accellerating hard. The tach would just wind up into red-line territory between gears. It was like changing gears in a manual transmission without letting up on the gas while clutching. This was happening in normal auto mode (D5)...not in SportShift mode. I never tried to duplicate the problem in SportShift.

Other peeps had their trannies just outright die while driving. It would get stuck in first gear and make all kinds of horrible noises. I know that some of them had some of the same symptoms I had before that happened though. Mine never got that bad really. I'm actually surprised they replaced mine so readily... I guess the dealership could tell that it was on its way out and decided to "cash-in" on the labor hours that Acura would be covering for the job.

I've had no problems with my new one so far...crossed fingers!
Old 01-07-2002, 05:32 PM
5th Gear

PLEASE ADVISE..............

i have not read about all the tranny problems with these CL's but i am interested in knowing MUCH more, i am currently the owner of a 2002 Acura RSX Type S, and am on my 3rd engine ( actually they are putting in the 3rd one next week) Anyhow.... i am in the process of working with Acura as well as a lemon law attorney to get rid of the car ( it has MAJOR oil consumption problems)and my initial thought was to just purchase a CL type S, i drove one for about a month the last time they were replacing my engine and i really liked it. NOW though, after reading through a few of these posts i am skeptical about them, i am NOT in the mood for more problems like what i have already endured... ( if you are interested in hearing MY problems go to http://www.clubrsx.com and under message boards, "problems and Solutions", then "serious Engine Problems", that is the thread that i started)...Anyhow, someone PLEASE tell me the latest, are they fixing these problems? What years did this problem effect? what do they claim is causing the problem? ETC...... you can e-mail me from here! thanks!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: UPDATE!! Lawsuit Against ACURA - TRANSMISSION FAILURE #2