Transmission #5 or #6, 94k miles and dealer issues with warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission #5 or #6, 94k miles and dealer issues with warranty

So I have had the transmission replaced on my automatic 01 CL more times than I even remember now. I dug up the paper work for 3 times, and I think there were two more times that I haven't found the paper work on yet. Thats 5 replacements and now the car is back in again for more transmission issues.

This time was more or less the same story.... the transmission started slipping and doing strange things on Wednesday, Thursday morning it started slipping big time and then got stuck in 2nd gear and wouldn't switch out, VSA and Check Engine lights come on. On the way to the dealer it started behaving normally, and seemed OK (which my previous transmissions have done as well -- some good days some bad days, until total failure).

At any rate the dealer didn't reproduce the problem by driving, but of course the car pushed the P1710 transmission failure code, along with a P0780 shift malfunction code. As well as the check engine light is still on (VSA light went off)

The dealer is telling me that they won't work on the transmission until they clear the P0780 shift malfunction code. He says there is a problem with the "shift switch" located under the gear selector. They said it is telling them the car is in Reverse and 3rd gear at the same time (or something like this). However the car is driving fine right now

At any rate, of course they want $100 to take apart the gear selector and then if the "shift switcher" is the problem they want $400 to fix it.

At that point if the car is still driving badly they will replace the transmission and then that will be that, and I will be $500 in the hole.

I argued with them for a little bit and then finally told them just to reset the codes, and give me the car back and I'll drive the car until the transmission completely fails (putting me in danger).

Anyhow... just wanted to see if any of you guys have come across this type of problem and what you did / would have done?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well here we are a week later...

Last night my check engine light comes on but the car was driving normally. This morning I hooked up my pocket scanner and saw it was posting code P0740 (torque converter clutch circuit malfunction).

I went ahead and reset the code and decided to have a "spirited" drive over in the direction of my closest Acura dealer... Sure enough about half way there the transmission started slipping all over the place.

Right as I pulled it near the service bay the thing wouldn't move at all in any gear. It was pretty funny because I got stuck blocking the entrance and other people had to go around me. One guy was like "whats going on?" I said "Oh my tranmission just died for the 5th time, sorry to block you in" LOL.

Anyhow im super lucky it didn't fail on me somewhere else or in the middle of the night or something. Im really pretty upset with my dealer since I brought it in a week ago before it got to this point and they refused to fix the problem without first charging me $500 to replace some unrelated part.

Glad I didn't get ripped off or hurt.