The NHTSA is NOT on the case :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: new info

Originally posted by Chaptorial
How many replacements have been recorded on this site?
prolly .01%.... That sucks for you auto tranny guys... What can you do but either beef your tranny up or sell your car... i dunno.. but I supported you guys all the way through... sorry to hear the bad news.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura/Honda won't be getting my business again. Their corporate ethics have been put to the test by this tranny issue, and they have failed to rise to the occasion. Rewarding them with repeat business, and/or doing nothing will only serve to promote this type of negligent behavior. I urge those that still own a CL/TL and have had transmission failures to consult a lawyer. I did so with successful results after my transmission went at 1500 miles.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: new info

Originally posted by Chaptorial
How many replacements have been recorded on this site?
I had 1, and I'm gonna submit #2 this week.

Boy, this is disconcerting, to say the least.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I won't be buying Honda/Acura ever again.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:09 AM
2nd Gear

CLS tranny failure too

I have had 3 transmission failures in under 3 years - this last one locked up suddenly at a fairly high rate of speed.
I have opened a bbb case against American Honda - they are offering a replacement vehicle at this time.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:37 AM
Rod
Drifting

Re: new info

Originally posted by Ken347
2) There were no compelling safety issues that required further action at this time. The initial conclusion is that a quality issue underlies the complaints, but that there was not enough evidence to push the investigation to the next phase.
Typical bullshit, let's just take the reactive approach and wait for someone to get seriously injured or killed. Then and only then will they consider it time for "further action." The proactive approach of helping to avoid this scenario is just too much work. I bet Scott Yon is driving a brand new MDX all of a sudden, at no cost to him of course.

Originally posted by Ken347
3) 165 transmission-based complaints out of a population of 295,026 cars (0.06%) were recorded. Of these complaints, 69 involved a sudden downshift. While Mr. Yon acknowledges that this downshift can lead to a serious accident, there were no reported incidents where this outcome, in fact, occurred.
Only 165 complaints, but how many trannies have actually been replaced by Honda/Acura? Was it too much trouble to get this information from them? Maybe just too much work for him. Great to know how lazy the people supposedly working on highway safety issues are.

BTW, thanks for the update, Ken.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

The NHTSA Investigator has specifically expressed a wish to have his name and number removed from this site. If you could please respect his wishes, it would be appreciated.

In the event that NHTSA reopens this case, we will let you know.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More to come and use the #800 and website. Do not call the private line

1. The story is more complicated than it appears; it will need some explaining and a while to see about gathering more information (way too long a story for now).

2. In the mean time, any complaints can still be sent to the 1-800 # and/or the NHTSA web site. IF the evidence warrants it, THE NHTSA will reopen the case.

As a note:

One of the only reasons the NHTSA opened the case was due to the "downshift" issue. As a rule, the NHTSA is not very interested in transmission issues. The only issues they are concerned about are safety related (They are not a consumer protection agency).

The NHTSA looked at the transmission problem because (1) no brake light comes on (2) when the transmission destroys itself [5th to 2nd downshift results from a catastrophic failure inside the transmission]. The third gear clutch pack failure causes various components (filters, etc) inside the transmission to burst and cause the sudden downshift. (I have been told that a large number of changes are made to the replacement transmissions that are NOW going into the cars as replacements. IF YOU HAVE A BAD TRANNY GET IT FIXED. IF THE DEALER REFUSES TO FIX A TRANNY PROBLEM -- GET THEM TO PUT IT IN WRITING) YOU NEED TO HAVE SYMPTOMS THAT ARE LISTED ON THE ACURA.COM WEBSITE (OR IN THE WARRANTY EXTENSION LETTER).

Future:

If the NHTSA sees a number of serious accidents that are the result of NEW complaints, they could very well reopen the investigation. Nothing is written in stone. The best way to get this information into the NHTSA is to fill out the form on the website and/or leave the info on the 800 line.