Is a new PCM necessary with rebuilt/used tranny swap?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:49 AM
KSB
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a new PCM necessary with rebuilt/used tranny swap?...

As I mentioned in another thread my 2001 CL-S's tranny has gone on me and I'm past the warranty period. I have been told that I'll have to replace the PCM (@ some $1.5k) when replacing the tranny.

Is that always true? Are there circumstances when I won't have to? Impications if I don't = ?

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

KSB
Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Banned

It must be required, otherwise why would Acura have done it for all of us who have new trannys.

I believe that the 01 model does not have a field programmable PCM, so it has to be reworked to update it with any programming changes or perhaps to be compatible with the serial number of the tranny (i.e change out the main chip probably). I believe they may have also changed something to help with the long term reliability, as the shifting is not like it was with the original tranny. I don't like the new program....shifts are way harder...especially during spiritied driving.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by djarovsky
It must be required, otherwise why would Acura have done it for all of us who have new trannys.

I believe that the 01 model does not have a field programmable PCM, so it has to be reworked to update it with any programming changes or perhaps to be compatible with the serial number of the tranny (i.e change out the main chip probably). I believe they may have also changed something to help with the long term reliability, as the shifting is not like it was with the original tranny. I don't like the new program....shifts are way harder...especially during spiritied driving.
See link for TSB on this issue

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B03-017.PDF
Old 02-08-2007, 06:51 AM
KSB
10th Gear

Thanks... I was worried about that but hoping otherwise. With the PCM swap the job is a $5k job.

Too bad they (Acura service) didn't do anything back in that 2004 time frame and why didn't they swap out our PCMs in any case, if that supposed to help trannie durability?

In any case thanks for the info... now I guess I gotta do what I gotta do - poor baby has been out of commission for a couple of months now!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Instructor

woah wait, so if my tranny goes bad (just got one from acura at 106k) again, and im not in warranty, i will have to put in a NEW PCM?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:58 PM
KSB
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SleekCLS
woah wait, so if my tranny goes bad (just got one from acura at 106k) again, and im not in warranty, i will have to put in a NEW PCM?
That's what I have heard and I'll know first hand when I have the tranny replaced next month. I'll post whether or not a PCM replacement was required in my case when I finally get her back.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by KSB
As I mentioned in another thread my 2001 CL-S's tranny has gone on me and I'm past the warranty period. I have been told that I'll have to replace the PCM (@ some $1.5k) when replacing the tranny.

Is that always true? Are there circumstances when I won't have to? Impications if I don't = ?

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

KSB
get in touch with acura customer service and see what they can do....

milage on ur car?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 AM
KSB
10th Gear

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
get in touch with acura customer service and see what they can do....

milage on ur car?
She's at about 125k miles (199k kms).

I've gone to my Acura dealer's customer service and they won't explicitly tell me yes or no - just maybe. In any case I got 'good' news from them yesterday. After haggling with them since November (yup haven't driven her since November!) and using the settlement as additional fodder, they have finally come back and offered the factory rebuilt tranny at half price. Looks like I'll finally have her back sometime in March!!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KSB
She's at about 125k miles (199k kms).

I've gone to my Acura dealer's customer service and they won't explicitly tell me yes or no - just maybe. In any case I got 'good' news from them yesterday. After haggling with them since November (yup haven't driven her since November!) and using the settlement as additional fodder, they have finally come back and offered the factory rebuilt tranny at half price. Looks like I'll finally have her back sometime in March!!
Did u ask them if they replace the PCM everytime they replace the tranny?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:35 PM
KSB
10th Gear

Did u ask them if they replace the PCM everytime they replace the tranny?
Yup... they say 'it depends'. I asked about the 2001 CL-S specifically and they still come back 'it depends'. Truthfully, I don't know if they have ever replaced a 2001 CL-S tranny anyhow - maybe they just don't know.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Instructor

I just talked to my dealer today, and he said, that IF the software is messed up on the PSM we will replaced it, but normally we let it depend on HOW bad the tranny is.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:23 AM
KSB
10th Gear

I just talked to my dealer today, and he said, that IF the software is messed up on the PSM we will replaced it, but normally we let it depend on HOW bad the tranny is.
In my case the tranny is being replaced so I guess the 'how bad the tranny is' doesn't apply. Or do they mean that the PCM replacement is based on what problems they see in the failed tranny? And what do they mean or how do they qualify 'messed up'?

From what I've seen elsewhere on this forum the new PCMs change shift points and some of the dynamics related to the transmission in order to reduce the stress on them. Just an assumption but I would bet that they will require the PCM change otherwise they won't honor the warranty on the rebuilt (then they should give us a break on the PCM too but I haven't heard any of that happening here). Could be a bad assumption but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens in my case.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:42 PM
KSB
10th Gear

Well I finally have her back guys. Today was the first drive I've had with her since November. It was nice to get back in her and she's driving great.

Anyway good news. The tranny replacement is done and they did it without replacing the PCM - saved me $ 1500 (plus tax).