My CL nearly called huge accident...Advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
My CL nearly called huge accident...Advice needed!

Hi guys I am hoping someone can assist. My 2001cls has about 42000 miles on it and I have already had my trans replaced at about 15000 miles. Since then no real problems...till tonight. I was driving home from work--I came to a light with open space in front of me(I was the first car at the light)...I gunned it a little--up to about 65MPH, I drove a few more miles and the speed limit dropped to 45--I too at that time was going 45mph and drove another few miles.
Traffic was heavy..next thing you know, my car suddenly drops down from 45MPH to about 30MPH--no brakelights which caused the car behind me to screech to avoid hitting me. This definitely felt like a gear slip. I feel like this could be another transmission issue.
a)Is there anything else that would cause this behavior?
b)If it is my trans....are there any lemon laws or anything that would assist me?
I love this car...but not enough to die on the highway because of Acuras faulty transmission.
Any replies or advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Drifting

hmm

anyone?
Old 02-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That 45 to 30 thing sounds fishy. Even if the trans went to neutral, it would coast down slowly. Are you saying it downshifted itself to like 2nd or even 1st gear? Did the motor rev as if you slammed it to a low gear? I have heard others with failures claim that on the highway, it suddenly went to 2nd gear so it is possible.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Do you remember if the RPM went up as the car slowed down?

Or did the RPM dip down with the speed?

If the former, potentially the transmission.

If the latter, I have the same problem, although not as bad. I call them "hiccups" and sometimes my car will slow down as if I had applied the brakes, and the RPM goes down with the speed. Then it will suddenly jump back to where it was and car coasts again.

Mine's an '03 and still does that.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally posted by dgracer
That 45 to 30 thing sounds fishy. Even if the trans went to neutral, it would coast down slowly. Are you saying it downshifted itself to like 2nd or even 1st gear? Did the motor rev as if you slammed it to a low gear? I have heard others with failures claim that on the highway, it suddenly went to 2nd gear so it is possible.
Well, if it is the transmission, then it wouldn't go into neutral. It would go into second gear which could possibly explain the sudden decrease in speed.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Drifting

well...

It definitely didnt go to neutral...the revs I dont recall racing up either...maybe 4th to 3rd gear? I dont know but it was just a sudden jolt...It all happened so fast its hard to recall..I was just trying to avoid getting smashed into from behind...I drove the car like 30 the rest of the way home. Not really sure what to do...Unfortunately my dealer is 30 miles away so I may just have it towed in. I honestly don't feel very safe in this car and I am getting a real sick feeling that I wasted 30k on a lemon...
Old 02-11-2004, 08:25 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
my tranny downshifted from 4th to 2nd on the highway while doing 70 mph, engine over revved and the car wouldnt shift outta 2nd.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Dragging knees in

Re: well...

Originally posted by SilverJ
It definitely didnt go to neutral...the revs I dont recall racing up either...maybe 4th to 3rd gear? I dont know but it was just a sudden jolt...It all happened so fast its hard to recall..I was just trying to avoid getting smashed into from behind...I drove the car like 30 the rest of the way home. Not really sure what to do...Unfortunately my dealer is 30 miles away so I may just have it towed in. I honestly don't feel very safe in this car and I am getting a real sick feeling that I wasted 30k on a lemon...
Well, technically it's not a lemon. In most states, a lemon is defined as a vehicle that has a problem that the dealership couldn't fix in 3 tries or more.

I know how you feel, because every time I get in my car, I just hope that the transmission holds up.

Well, definitely take it into the dealership. Don't delay it. Warning codes might not be on, but sometimes the ECU has pending codes that the dealerships can pull off.

And in some cases, transmissions went out without any warnings at all.

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:29 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i think the pa lemon law you need to have it reported within the 1st year and also what pureadrenaline said about the fixing 3 times thing
Old 02-12-2004, 11:26 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: My CL nearly called huge accident...Advice needed!

Originally posted by SilverJ
Hi guys I am hoping someone can assist. My 2001cls has about 42000 miles on it and I have already had my trans replaced at about 15000 miles. Since then no real problems...till tonight. I was driving home from work--I came to a light with open space in front of me(I was the first car at the light)...I gunned it a little--up to about 65MPH, I drove a few more miles and the speed limit dropped to 45--I too at that time was going 45mph and drove another few miles.
Traffic was heavy..next thing you know, my car suddenly drops down from 45MPH to about 30MPH--no brakelights which caused the car behind me to screech to avoid hitting me. This definitely felt like a gear slip. I feel like this could be another transmission issue.
a)Is there anything else that would cause this behavior?
b)If it is my trans....are there any lemon laws or anything that would assist me?
I love this car...but not enough to die on the highway because of Acuras faulty transmission.
Any replies or advice would be appreciated.
there's a good chance it's the tranny. because the CL is known for it's transmission failure.(the transmissions are built about 5 miles from my house)(yes i even make fun of their quality) back to the point. I'd take it to your local Acura dealer or Acura dealer you like explain what happened have them look over the transmission.(atleast have them change the transmission oil).
then I'd say to the dealer you bought it from look I haven't been happy with this car.(usually if you b!tch a lot) and you have a crappy car and you bought it new from that dealer they'll give you a more than fair price on a trade in. if you wish to go that way.
if not good luck with the new transmission
Old 02-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Drifting

hmm

Well--I called my dealer...very nice guy. He seemed very familiar with the problem and they are going to give me another tranny.
I am not happy with this car at this point and would love to trade it in...but I refuse to pay 35k for a new tl.(6 speed of course)--
Not sure what I am going to do...mulling it over...
Old 02-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Race Director

Received 900 Likes on 546 Posts
here is the PA lemon law

Must all 3 repair attempts occur within the 12,000 mile or one year PA Lemon Law Period?

The Pennsylvania Lemon Law only requires the consumer to report the defect at least once during the lemon law period of 12,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. The consumer does not have to bring the vehicle in for service 3 times during that period. Therefore, if your vehicle was brought in for service at least once during the lemon law period, and you continued to service your car for the same defect after the 12,000 mile or one year lemon law period, you may still have a valid claim under the lemon law. Review a copy of the Pennsylvania Lemon Law.

http://www.mylemon.com/PA_Lemon_Law.htm

Your vehical doesn't apply any more.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Drifting

hmm

Originally posted by Beelzebub
here is the PA lemon law

Must all 3 repair attempts occur within the 12,000 mile or one year PA Lemon Law Period?

The Pennsylvania Lemon Law only requires the consumer to report the defect at least once during the lemon law period of 12,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. The consumer does not have to bring the vehicle in for service 3 times during that period. Therefore, if your vehicle was brought in for service at least once during the lemon law period, and you continued to service your car for the same defect after the 12,000 mile or one year lemon law period, you may still have a valid claim under the lemon law. Review a copy of the Pennsylvania Lemon Law.

http://www.mylemon.com/PA_Lemon_Law.htm

Your vehical doesn't apply any more.
After looking at the lemon law it appears I may have a case. My first tranny failed within the first year of operation...
The second tranny has lasted me about 18 months. It seems that I would need one more trans for this to be a lemon..correct ?
I think I am resigned to the fact that I am going to sell this car and get an Altima or Mazda6.