My Auto Tranny Looks to be Dying

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Auto Tranny Looks to be Dying

I have the original tranny with 75K miles and I think it is going soon. I have noticed the following problems as of late:

1) Sometimes in the morning when I put the tranny into reverse to back out of the garage, there is a longer than normal delay and then it slams into gear....way harder than normal.

2) I've noticed that the 1-2 shifts in particular are getting worse, especially when the tranny is cold. Instead of a crisp shift, it fells more like a shudder shift....as if the clutch isn't releasing properly.

3) I've noticed a whining sound in the morning on first start-up. Tranny is in park. Whining continues from 1500+ rpm while driving. Not the normal whining we are used to...different tone.

4) The tranny seems to slip while driving....not exactly sure what gears, but it looks to be maybe 2-3 or 3-4. this has happened a few times...no pattern.

I always check the tranny fluid regularly and it has been full at all times- no tranny leaks. I just checked it again yesterday and now I think the fluid is getting darker and doesn't smell too good either.

The fluid is changed every 30K with Acura tranny fluid at the dealer.

What do you all think? Do you have similar symptoms?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:58 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by djarovsky
I have the original tranny with 75K miles and I think it is going soon. I have noticed the following problems as of late:

1) Sometimes in the morning when I put the tranny into reverse to back out of the garage, there is a longer than normal delay and then it slams into gear....way harder than normal.

2) I've noticed that the 1-2 shifts in particular are getting worse, especially when the tranny is cold. Instead of a crisp shift, it fells more like a shudder shift....as if the clutch isn't releasing properly.

3) I've noticed a whining sound in the morning on first start-up. Tranny is in park. Whining continues from 1500+ rpm while driving. Not the normal whining we are used to...different tone.

4) The tranny seems to slip while driving....not exactly sure what gears, but it looks to be maybe 2-3 or 3-4. this has happened a few times...no pattern.

I always check the tranny fluid regularly and it has been full at all times- no tranny leaks. I just checked it again yesterday and now I think the fluid is getting darker and doesn't smell too good either.

I have slippage in 4th gear sometimes...but I'm still running on my original tranny...and it seems to run smoother after I used some Fuel cleaning stuff that i got from valvoline...its call Fuel System Cleaning...cleans the valves and stuff...

but yeh sounds like a time to visit the deal and get em to change it out
Old 05-06-2009, 06:50 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djarovsky

* Bump *

I have some very similar questions to the above.

Can anybody please shed some more light or offer any more answers to these transmission issues?

I checked my transmission fluid level and everything seems okay.

Last time I believe I had my transmission fluid flushed was @ 60k service...if they did it...can't find the invoice now.

But I have this delay between park, reverse, and drive and then when the gear engages...a little "thud."

A big "thud" if I am parked on a hill.

Starting to freak me out...getting worried about my transmission.

Thanks in advance for any help or expertise you can share.

Last edited by nf3d0149ab; 05-06-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
best solution to the slamming when shifting to reverse when engine is cold is to let it warm up. I found that after the engine temp guage reaches quarter way up then it wont shift hard.

when shifting between park, reverse, and drive: hold the brake until it shifts into gear. i know this can be annoying when you shift and your sitting still for a sec or 2 but if it prolongs your tranny im all for it.

also take it easy on your tranny when the fluid is cold. just because you let your engine warm up for 5 min, your tranny fluid is still pretty cold.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:57 AM

^ Yeah I still hold the brake while I feel it engage the gear.

But any idea what I am dealing with or is it just a failing transmission on my hands.

Or does it sound like maybe I need a transmission fluid flush?

Of course I am going to get one when I get some funds freed up.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Racer

The only problem I have from any of the four listed above is that like once or twice a day my car shudders in the 2-3 gear shift like it lunges forward and back. And as far as the slam on a hill, all cars do that and im sure its terrible for your tranny, just hold the brake till you put it in park then with the foot still on the brake put the parking brake down and voila as long as your brake shoes are still good you will never get the hard slam.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Suzuka Master

my car also has a hesitant 2-3 shift. it jerks the whole car. but i've been driving with that for over 2 years. just change your fluid regularly, thats the best we can do.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Racer

Yup today was showing a person I work with what that car can do, goes to shift into third and it just sounded like i hit the rev limiter and jerked the entire car like it was having a seizure..scared the crap outta me thinking my tranny turned into mush
Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM

Yeah that sounds shitty man...

My car hasn't been shifting that smooth...kind of worrying me.

I don't have any extra funds to take it in for a tranny flush and refill.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Suzuka Master

dont do a flush, if you need all new fluid, then do a 3x3 change.
if you cant do that because of funds, you can just do a regular change but just do it more often.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Racer

Yeah, maybe it was just a fluke because I drove all last night without a single hiccup