Getting a new tranny......

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002 | 02:27 PM
kwikCLvr

Getting a new tranny......

I brought(had towed) my car in on friday to Acura of Westchester to fix my tranny.....i was talking to the service manager and i was like are you going to try and fix it and he said that they wouldn't even bother because if they fix it something else might go wrong so they just ordered me a new tranny....he said i'd have my car back in like a month or a little more....isn't that short for a new transmission???....and they since they didnt' have anymore service rentals they got me into a Pontiac Grand Am which is an ok rental car i guess........can't wait to get my baby back
Old 01-13-2002 | 03:47 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

wow.....now it's even CL-P trannies......
Old 01-13-2002 | 07:08 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

That's the first thing I noticed too !
Old 01-14-2002 | 11:31 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

ugh, i might jump ship and buy an M3.
Old 01-22-2002 | 12:17 PM
4th Gear

Getting A New Tranny

Gentlemen,
I have been in love with the CL-S since the first time I laid my eyes on it. I am now in a position to buy one, and I stumbled across this website. I love the automatic, but am now inclined to buy the 6 speed. In light of all the trouble with the automatics, I'll bet that the new 6 speeds will come at a premium price for sure.

Question: Does the TL and TL-S come with the same transmission, and are they experiencing the same problems?

Thanks to all for providing so much valuable information.
Respectfully,
GSEREP1
Old 01-22-2002 | 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Getting A New Tranny

Originally posted by gserep1
Gentlemen,
I have been in love with the CL-S since the first time I laid my eyes on it. I am now in a position to buy one, and I stumbled across this website. I love the automatic, but am now inclined to buy the 6 speed. In light of all the trouble with the automatics, I'll bet that the new 6 speeds will come at a premium price for sure.

Question: Does the TL and TL-S come with the same transmission, and are they experiencing the same problems?

Thanks to all for providing so much valuable information.
Respectfully,
GSEREP1

1. The fact that even a few are going bad is not a great thing, however, the total # of slushboxes failing for the CLS was in the 1-3% range.

2. THE TLS and TLs have also had some bad trannies. You might want to visit www.acura-tl.com and check there. I looked in last week and some people were concluding that a bunch of the Mar/Apr 2001 build date TLS' were the ones with the highest problems (according to the data run by a person there).

Do remember, some people drive hard and have a ton of miles and have had zero problems, and others with few miles have had a ton of problems...

If you are looking for a manual, why not see how it holds up first? There is no question that the gear ratios rock and it will put more power to the ground. However, it did take a while to discover that the 2001 CLS had any kind of auto. tranny problem!
Old 01-22-2002 | 07:27 PM
4th Gear

MANY THANKS TO ERIC L

Hello,
And THANKS for your prompt response. Your reply makes a lot of sense. Many times, the first production year of anything has bugs of some sort. I am never one to buy that first year. I HAVE been waiting a long time to buy one of these cars. I am sure that there will be a quick solution to this most unfortunate problem.

I am aware that many people really drive their cars. I am one of them. I do expect the vehicle to hold up reasonably well in NORMAL use,..(abuse excepted).

I will look into the fact that NOT ALL transmissions are plagued with this problem. The build date may be the key to this entire fiasco.

The bottom line is: I would rather have the automatic, BUT I can settle for the manual. I will give it a month or two and see just what transpires.

Again, thank you so much for your candor. It is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
GSEREP1