do you think if the tranny lasted 120,000kms since new it should hold up way longer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 08:19 AM
09 TL SH-AWD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you think if the tranny lasted 120,000kms since new it should hold up way longer?

I've read on the net that some people went through 2, 3 or 4 transmissions even in some cases. I am wondering if mine already did 120,000 kilometers (75k miles) and never been replaced since new then it might go another 120 wihout a swap I think. I just got this car and it drives great and doesn't seem to be having any issues in that area. And previous owner said he never encountered a problem.

Anyone has an opinion on this?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you can check the VIN number with your dealership and find out for sure if its still on the original tranny. I would also find out with the oil jet recall was installed, since you don't wanna take any chances when it comes to warranty work. It depends on how hard you drive the car. Are you planning any mods.... I would recommend the tranny cooler, since my install the shifts are alot smoother.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:38 AM
09 TL SH-AWD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I asked him to print out all serivce history when he was getting certification and emissions done. I looked over it and nothing major. He just changed some censor in the tranny and that's it but he told me about it himself. He serviced it at Downtown Acura (Toronto).

So I guess the recall cooler is completely different from comptech cooler?
What kinda tranny fluid I should consider putting in it? redline?
Which tranny oil will run at the lowest temp even in when driving hard?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car already has a cooler. Never heard of a recall cooler. ATF info...

Originally Posted by belcom
I asked him to print out all serivce history when he was getting certification and emissions done. I looked over it and nothing major. He just changed some censor in the tranny and that's it but he told me about it himself. He serviced it at Downtown Acura (Toronto).

So I guess the recall cooler is completely different from comptech cooler?
What kinda tranny fluid I should consider putting in it? redline?
Which tranny oil will run at the lowest temp even in when driving hard?
Recall cooler? I never heard of such a thing.

The car comes with a small cooler that is a cooler/warmer. It is a small hockey-puck looking can on the top of the tranny. It uses the engine coolant to exchange heat from and to the tranny. As such, it is a cooler -- and warmer.

I believe you are getting confused with the addition of a Comptech cooler (basically a B&M cooler mounted up front of the radiator to assist in heat removal). The factory (hockey-puck) cooler is retained.

Comptech recommends the Redline Synthetic ATF for the S/C. However, you might want to consider the possibility that Acura claims to check the fluid in a failed tranny.

I don’t know that the alternative ATF will run cooler (maybe it does and maybe it doesn’t). The general reason people switch to upgraded/different ATF is to keep it from breaking down at the higher temperatures, maintaining better viscosity control at temperature extremes..