Changing the ATF is a MUST (@30k miles)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 10:22 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing the ATF is a MUST (@30k miles)

I have just finished the ATF drain and replace.

As you know my tranny used to quiver and shake at 1-2 shift. In addition, the ATF level was in the middle of the range between the 2 holes on the ATF dispstick.

I bought:

3 Qrts of Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 ($15).
1 Sealing Washer ($1.6)
1 10" 3/8 Socket extension ($10)
1 10" "hosed" Funnel ($2)

Total $28.6

I had 32600 miles on the odometer.

After removing the ATF draining plug, I was shocked to see so much "black stuff" on the draining plug . It was covered by a thick layer of soft "black stuff". The oil itself was dirty, but still it spreads very quickly on a paper towel.

I cleaned the plug very well, plug back where it should, and I replaced 2.9 Qrt of ATF and I left 0.1 Qrt (100 ml) not used.
Finally, put back the filling plug and fired up my CLS ....

Time for a test drive,.....

Test drive Observations:

1) No more quivering, shacking or anything like that , the Tranny is shifting like a silk.....
2) Believe it or not, the tranny is shifting faster than before....
3) No more tranny noises or cluck cluck sound while shifting in R or out of P.....
4) on the HW the tranny is wisper quiet....

I am impressed, the ATF drain and replace is a MUST at 30,000 miles
Old 04-26-2002, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny fluid

A local TV car care program host and shop owner said that to avoid transmission problems he strongly recommends a complete transmission flush every two years or 24,000 miles using a "BG" process that removes all the "dirty fluid, not just 1/2 the fluid." When I asked my local Honda dealer parts manager about flushing the transmission he cautioned that a complete flush is not necessary and not recommended by Honda and could dislodge residue that could cause problems with the transmission internal filter screen. He said that Honda employes in his dealership with Honda vehicles do not flush, drain every 15,000 miles and only use Honda ATF Z-1 fluid. He also said that draining 1/2 the fluid every 15,000 miles is the recommended Honda service, is not a problem and the fluid is not considered contaminated or dirty at 15,000 miles. Using Honda ATF Z-1 will keep the transmission clean and maintain shifting to specifications. He also cautioned that the use of after market flushing fluids could also damage seals and clutch shifting performance especially if the fluid is not replaced with Honda ATF Z-1 fluid. I have never flushed, replace every 15,000 miles and use Honda ATF Z-1. No problems with my Honda's transmissions and owned Honda,s since 1980, fluid always cherry red and shifts at specified speeds.

---------------------------------------------
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE BY EMAIL!
You have chosen to receive messages from "Honda Odyssey Owners Club" by email.

Reply to this message:
Old 05-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Prelude auto trannys

Honda recommends changing fluid every 15K miles on the sport shift Preludes, similar tranny to the CL-S, although it is only a 4 speed. I have changed my fluid evry 15K in my Prelude and have yet to experience a problem.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Tranny fluid

Originally posted by jag
A local TV car care program host and shop owner said that to avoid transmission problems he strongly recommends a complete transmission flush every two years or 24,000 miles using a "BG" process that removes all the "dirty fluid, not just 1/2 the fluid." When I asked my local Honda dealer parts manager about flushing the transmission he cautioned that a complete flush is not necessary and not recommended by Honda and could dislodge residue that could cause problems with the transmission internal filter screen. He said that Honda employes in his dealership with Honda vehicles do not flush, drain every 15,000 miles and only use Honda ATF Z-1 fluid. He also said that draining 1/2 the fluid every 15,000 miles is the recommended Honda service, is not a problem and the fluid is not considered contaminated or dirty at 15,000 miles. Using Honda ATF Z-1 will keep the transmission clean and maintain shifting to specifications. He also cautioned that the use of after market flushing fluids could also damage seals and clutch shifting performance especially if the fluid is not replaced with Honda ATF Z-1 fluid. I have never flushed, replace every 15,000 miles and use Honda ATF Z-1. No problems with my Honda's transmissions and owned Honda,s since 1980, fluid always cherry red and shifts at specified speeds.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE BY EMAIL!
You have chosen to receive messages from "Honda Odyssey Owners Club" by email.

Reply to this message:

1. Who knows about the "effect" of a cleaning solvent on the parts (unless the Honda/Acura folks gives the green light for a "particular" process. However, in the case of my Nissan Maxima, the first time it got a "power flush" (from the Nissan dealer) and total fluid exchange, the fluid looked "perfect" and the tranny felt great.

2. When you talk about Honda, you're talking about generic "Honda" autos. I have my doubts about the Acura CLS fluid being treated as kindly in some situations (full load, uphill at higher speed, in high temp weather, lowered cars [less cooling via the case], and different auto tranny cooler design].

3. Finally, if I had a nickel for every time one service advisor had an opinion directly opposite to another service advisor, I'd be very rich!

I'm glad your Honda is working well and am not suggesting that people start experimenting with unknowns and/or unrecommended treatments. Just suggesting that the data may be of "limited" value considering the problems that the CLS/TLS are having in the "slushbox" reliability area....

There is an "iterative" procedure that is Acura recommended for removing 90% of the old fluid...