Automatic Transmission Failures

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002 | 05:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Automatic Transmission Failures

Link to article:

http://www.wilsontransmission.com/why.html

(I think they agree with me about the need for a "real" tranny cooler)

(Last section excerpt. And we have an even "smaller" cooler with temps thermostatically set to high temps unlike an in-radiator ATF cooler [not to be confused with an additional ATF cooler])

"Prevention

First there's the heat problem. Installation of a good quality auxiliary oil cooler is the first step. Why do I need an auxiliary cooler? Doesn't the factory provide one for me? Most vehicles are designed to circulate transmission fluid up to the radiator and back again through two steel lines. The coolant inside the radiator is what cools the transmission fluid. Yes, that's right. 200+ degree antifreeze tries to cool 300+ degree transmission fluid. Doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? Auxiliary transmission oil coolers use the outside air temperature to cool the fluid which is far more efficient. Sometimes, if your vehicle has a towing package for instance, the factory will install an auxiliary cooler on the vehicle. Otherwise you must order it as an extra accessory.

The addition of one of these coolers can more than double the life of the fluid and the transmission. The best coolers, in my opinion, are built by the aftermarket. Ask your local transmission shop about the details.

Second, on many late model vehicles, reprogramming the transmission is also necessary in order to get enough fluid to the cooler, help the bands and clutches hold better, and provide an increased volume of lubrication oil to the geartrain. On certain 1997 and later domestic vehicles this reprogramming has its limitations. Due to the way the computer controls the transmission, changes made internally effect what the computer sees and how it controls the shifts, sometimes canceling out the benefits of reprogramming. To be sure, ask a qualified expert. By qualified, I mean a technician who specializes in modifications and reprogramming, such as shift kits, as separate transmission services.

I emphasize routine fluid changes. It's the single most important aspect of preserving your automatic transmission and preventing the need for a rebuilt or overhauled transmission.

"
Old 05-05-2002 | 08:58 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Are you just emphasizing the need for manufacturer based cooler?
Old 05-05-2002 | 10:21 AM
Instructor

I'm convinced. Going to ask Acura if installing one would void the warranty should I lose the tranny again. If not, see if I can find a shop in Portland that will do it - I am not a DIY like Scalbert.
Old 05-05-2002 | 11:05 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by DreamU
I'm convinced. Going to ask Acura if installing one would void the warranty should I lose the tranny again. If not, see if I can find a shop in Portland that will do it - I am not a DIY like Scalbert.

It doesn't seem that difficult. Although I'm getting a mechanically inclined friend to help me along so I can understand why you'd want to goto a shop.
Old 05-05-2002 | 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Zapata
Are you just emphasizing the need for manufacturer based cooler?

Well, Acura thinks they supplied a cooler, but it isn't even close to as good as a radiator mounted cooler. With the "toy" we have, the thermostat makes sure the coolant is always HOT (unlike the radiator mounted version).

Yes, I'm more convinced then ever, that it is the source of at least "some" problems.

Based on how much heat is dumped in that little "tea cup" sized intercooler, I would love to see a plug-n-play cooler kit for the car (all parts, brackets included).

And better still, it should be a factory option.

(And I'm not saying that it’s the only reason the tranny breaks...)
Old 05-05-2002 | 12:57 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

ericL,
Thanks much, that's what i thought you were saying. Welp i'm going to find out where i a can order this cooler from and see if I can't get this thing installed before PAA