'01 CL-S spec failure to downshift from 4th to 3rd !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 01:12 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pure Adrenaline... good point. Reality of it all... better adjust to the world. Will do just that.. next time I'll go from 4th to 3rd. I do hope though that my 'bickering' brought some awareness .
Old 02-18-2004, 01:24 AM
Instructor

Pure Adrenaline... GREAT points re. RSX... although, 'tongue-in-cheek' is my reaction... . Re. manual not being a Bible - sounds as you have experienced something 'similar' before... They also change manuals from year to year. Acura requested the copy from mine, since the one they could [immediately] locate were from '02/'03 for which they did take the 104 spec out, so supposedly aside from NXS all models are spec'd from 95 down.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:53 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are arguing about the inability to downshift to 3rd.... and ironically, as for safety one has to worry about: Failing Tranny and the sudden downshift from 5th to 2nd!!

Also, how about the crappy braking system on a 3500 lbs vehicle? That is more of safety issue than what you are experiencing!

Nashua
Old 02-18-2004, 03:03 AM
Instructor

Nashua_Night_Hawk... point taken ...
Old 02-18-2004, 06:54 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
O M G !!!! :noob: PLEASE!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2004, 07:01 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by 1killercls
O M G !!!! :noob: PLEASE!!!!!!
I’m glad I’m not alone with my opinion of this guy.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:24 AM
GEEZER

Originally posted by Shawn S
I’m glad I’m not alone with my opinion of this guy.
Long winded know it all. IMO
Old 02-18-2004, 08:10 AM
Pro

IBTL
Old 02-18-2004, 09:04 AM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Wow, i have a f'ing headache reading this guys posts. He come on here with his "Two Degrees" spouting all of this nonsense from his mouth as if he were mr. genius. He probably figures he was going to come on here with all of these "specifications" and "facts" and we were going to sit back and listen to this nonsense. Please.

I work with these engineers everyday at my job and they all have that same "I am smarter than you and you have no idea what you are talking about" attitude. Give me a f'ing break.

Cry me a river because you can't downshift to "save your families life" @ 100mph. The reps at acura probably put you on hold each time you called to laugh behind your back.

Guess what, don't think you are getting much sympathy here either, take a hint already.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Comrade Stalin

I can't wait to see this one in court. "I had my whole family in the car, was passing a semi on a 2 lane highway doing 95 miles and hour and put the life of my family on the car shifting into 3rd so i can make it around in time." You should be thanking acura for making a car that saved your fucking life, and the lives of your family in that event. If you can't make it around a truck when your doing 95 then you shouldn't be passing that truck.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Advanced

First of all, the car did not put you into a "life threatening" situation -- YOU DID. Passing a semi at 93mph with your family in the car on a 2-lane road? Most 2-lane roads I've seen are 55mph or 65mph tops. Hell, you probably even tried this in a no-passing zone. Oh, and Montana has had speed limits since 1999. Even before then, the limit was "Reasonable and Prudent".

Defrauded because the car won't downshift from 4th to 3rd over 90mph? Please. I hope the judge laughs in your face, dismisses the case with prejudice, and orders you to pay court fees for Honda/Acura. Litigious bastards like you make me sick.

You are an engineer, yet you didn't bother to check to see the limits of the car before you go on a joy ride with your family and try a dangerous hi-speed passing maneuver? Within the first month of owning my CL-S I knew all of the shift points (down and up) and what rpms and speed I'd be at after each shift.

You, sir, are the jackass for not hitting your brakes when it became apparent that you would not be able to pass the truck in time. Thank goodness the other driver had a clue and pulled off the road.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:45 AM
GEEZER

Originally posted by 97Cl22
I can't wait to see this one in court. "I had my whole family in the car, was passing a semi on a 2 lane highway doing 95 miles and hour and put the life of my family on the car shifting into 3rd so i can make it around in time." You should be thanking acura for making a car that saved your fucking life, and the lives of your family in that event. If you can't make it around a truck when your doing 95 then you shouldn't be passing that truck.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by patek007

Humor aside man... this is California, average speed 95mph in certain 'off-peak' times of the mid week.

You said you were on a TWO lane highway. So that means, one lane of traffic going one way, the second lane going the opposite, right?

So help me understand. Was there somebody breathing down your back bumper, where you had to get around the truck approaching triple-digit speeds??? Or, wait... Let me guess. Someone was trying to carjack you and your family, so you tried to outrun the guy and had to pass the truck at those speeds?

Let me ask you this... Since WHEN does traffic drive THAT fast on a two lane road? Don't even try to pass this shit off as, "Oh, I was trying to keep up with traffic."

Your argument(s) are so insanely stupid. I hope you do take this to court. And I really hope the judge looks at you and fines your pathetic ass for being a retard and not only endangering your family's lives but the live's of the oncoming traffic.

Idiot.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:28 AM
AKA MaxGeek

Originally posted by patek007
Guru.. may I ask when was that approximately.. i.e. which year?

On isolated highways/freeways - they got away with speed limit, yet for safety the Driver manual 'recommended 100mph'... when there was no posted speed limit.
http://www.mdt.state.mt.us/speed_limit/
Old 02-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL,

I'm with you ShawnS.

Another American looking for a freebie and clogging up the court systems.

If the conversation had started as a FYI. It would be different.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I am a big believer in that you should get what you pay for, but yeah, this thread really went on about a lot of nothing. In fact, the only one who should really be pissed is the guy who was driving along, minding his own business (and not complaining about his own shift points) in the other lane who had to swerve out of his OWN lane cuz some guy was in such a hurry to get around a truck that was already doing about 85mph. He was the one who was really needlessly put in danger. If I was in that other car and almost crashed because of someone doing that, I might feel inclined to turn around, catch up, and throw some more things "out of spec" on him and his car. BTW, not trying to be insulting at all, but there seems to be a lot of spelling errors for someone with multiple Ph.D's. Just some thoughts.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Advanced

All a phd means is that you know more and more about less and less.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by SwankCLS
You are an engineer, yet you didn't bother to check to see the limits of the car before you go on a joy ride with your family and try a dangerous hi-speed passing maneuver? Within the first month of owning my CL-S I knew all of the shift points (down and up) and what rpms and speed I'd be at after each shift.

First of all, I speed as well, no doubt about that.. but I never do it when I have other people in the car.. especially family. If I'm going to speed I'll do it alone and not risk other the other passenger's well-being.

I honestly can't believe that your even trying to blame Acura for this. What a joke. BTW, you do realize that Honda/Acura corporate and some dealers read this forum, right? So if you really were trying to make a case for yourself you probably blew it by posting on here.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Instructor

To ALL the SMUT-ASSES such as SwankCLS,SiGGy,1killercls,Scrib..... YES, I would like fries with that . The clueless, the ignorant, the meaningless - thanks for letting the rest know whom you truly are. Make sure your parents make you pay your taxes on time, so we could 'collect' from you once in a while .

To the rest of the most helpful bunch of folks - MY SHEER GRATITUDE. This morning got a call from Acura - we are putting the car on the dynamometer. They are not admitting the problem, but at the same time they are not refusing it either. Stay tuned.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Team Owner

Please go away..... The sooner the better !!!

Old 02-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Advanced

"I have been very professional, if someone acts childish with me irregardless if after 17 or 17k posts - I shall point out that fact."

I think saying "YES, I would like fries with that" and "make sure your parents make you pay your taxes on time...." to someone you have no clue about does not fall in the "very professional" category. Especially when the person you are calling clueless and ignorant also has an engineering degree. I just don't need to wave it around in a person's face so they think I am a credible source of information.

Old 02-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Administrator Alumnus

This is too damn funny.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Team Owner

Hey patek007.....How's your brother TopDayTrader doing ???
Old 02-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Well either way, good luck in your pursuit, and if they decide to give you a new, or as close to new 03 6 speed, then i want one too. I am a manual trans driver at heart, my hand is always on the damn shifter anyway, the leather wrapping on the shifter is getting all messed up from it.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Somebody should fax this thread to Acura.

lol
Old 02-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Drifting

in a way, i can agree with you both, problem is, when something is stated, it should be
Old 02-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Instructor

I wish I could fax this ENTIRE thing to Acura... alas... they are SO SECRETIVE.. i.e. my case manager is the ONLY contact, win or lose. We have a 'Troubleshooter' on one of our TV channels... I was thinking of letting him try to at least get in touch with Acura's Vp of Customer Service... to let him/her know about how I've been treated as a 5th generation Honda and 3rd generation Acura owner.

Come on folks.. especially with engineering degrees... I do and never meant disrespect.. yet let's be a bit more tactful towards each... I will not get a new CL-S out of them.. they ended production long ago... BUT.. if I get a custom ECU flash that WOULD allow me to retard the shift point... wouldn't you want to know the factory code for it? All it takes is a reprogram of your flash - a few minutes tops...
Can you honestly say that you'll refuse it ?? All it comes down to.. 'deliver on your promise'.. that is all I want from Acura. In fact.. I do NOT want a new 03 CL-S.. Being an engineer and KNOWING when production would end - imagine how much 'cost-cutting' they did.. Why do you think they removed the fog lights... and this is just what's visible on the outside...
We love our CL-Ss... still... - at least that we can agree on ... With this I'll end this thread... until updates commence...
Old 02-18-2004, 12:57 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
You ALONE on your CRUSADE is not going to make Acura reprogram everyones ECU. YOU are one PERSON. With no other BACKING from ANYONE else, you are a small FRY in Acura's eye's.

Get over yourself with your so called ENGINEERING degree and your ALL CAPS strong words.

Admit it, you have NO degree, you are a very LONELY person looking for ATTENTION who just so happend to swallow a THESAURUS recently to sound intelligent.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
I work in a aerospace machine shop and deal with (2) types of engineers; Real ones and ones that should be train drivers. Wounder where patek007 would fit in?
Old 02-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

peace people peace
Old 02-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
OK all... he pretty much apologized for the way he replied a few times... so please just backoff and just keep the thread informative or it will have to be closed.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2004, 02:06 PM
GEEZER

Originally posted by Scrib

This is too damn funny.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:07 PM
GEEZER

Originally posted by juniorbean
OK all... he pretty much apologized for the way he replied a few times... so please just backoff and just keep the thread informative or it will have to be closed.

Thanks
will do.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Brake tap as mentioned, gate shift, next car with DSG

I believe the "up to" is a kind of "limit..." IOW, depending on circumstances, 103 MPH is the absolute max speed for the 4th to 3rd shift speed. (Sorry, I didn't get my manual and check your data, so I'm using your data. And, there will probably be someone who comes along that will comment on how they got a shift at a higher speed than 103 [who knows?])

This topic came up more than a few times, and generally speaking, a brake tap or lifting off the gas (highly non-intuitive) gets the flashing to go away and the downshift to occur. I'm not too thrilled with its fuzzy behavior either!

Love my car too, but sure would prefer a DSG transmission with absolute limits and behaviors.

Find a dead stretch of road and try the brake tap. IMO, you might want to consider trying the gate shifter too...

DSG (Direct Shift Transmission):

"The DSG features two fully automated gear selection programmes and a Tiptronic function, which allows manual gear selection. In all instances, the gearbox provides the driver with a very direct contact with the vehicle and thereby pure driving enjoyment. For the first time, sporty orientated drivers can experience gear change..."

http://vortex3.rely.net/artman/publi...icle_501.shtml
Old 02-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S
Please go away..... The sooner the better !!!

Hey, at least you didn't get called a SMUT-ASS.

LOL

I guess anyone who doesn't see things as he does is a "smut-ass". It's the ignorant "if you don't see it my way, your wrong attitude". LOL, all the younger guys at work are like that... the "I have to prove myself" phase.

patek007:

Your 1st response to the "problem" was to sue/blame Acura. Disregarding the fact you were speeding and putting yourself/family in danger trying to pass a truck at 90+ MPH.

Now letting people know the technical apsect of your complaint is one thing. But the approach you took is what brought on the responses.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
unfucking believeable the blindness of some people
Old 02-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm about ready to put this thread out of its misery...

Off to the quiet of the slushbox problems forum....
Old 02-20-2004, 09:44 AM
1st Gear

patek007 what is your problem? Maybe you should stop showing off by speeding around in your Acura and think about yor family's safety. I have children and would never showboat like you did and put my children in danger. Seems to me that you are an unfit father and should be reported to DCFS! Go suck it you jagbag!

P.S. I'm Rick James Beotch!

BONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

You are a dumb-arse

No speeka da Engrish?!?! You are a waste of real estate. You don't know crap about cars and you're pissed because you're AUTO won't shift at a point that it's NOT SUPPOSED TO. Get a manual, ya' dumb siht. Stop driving ridiculously fast with your family in the car and I hope the person you RAN OFF THE ROAD sues your sorry butt for what little it's worth. OMG, I wish you were in front of me right now so I could kick you in the nuts. If there were 100 more like you, society as we know it would crumble. How'd you find a woman to climb on top of you???? Do you just not speak in front of her so she doesn't discover what a fackjob you are? PLEASE RID US OF YOU NOW!!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro

Geez, the only person stupider than you is the attorney that takes your case on a contingent fee basis.

I hope you get arrested in court for reckless driving the second after you testify that you were driving over 90 mph trying to pass an 18 wheeler and the only reason you didn't collide with oncoming traffic is that you caused the other driver to swerve off the road.

I mean, should I say my prayers for your family now or shall I wait until after their funerals?

Quick Reply: '01 CL-S spec failure to downshift from 4th to 3rd !!