Yokohama Tire Users!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Yokohama Tire Users!!!

Hey guys,

About 5000 miles ago on my 03 CL-S, I swapped my stock tires with Yokohama All Season Tires. I mainly went with those b/c I was told they perform just about the same but costs about 50 bucks cheaper per tire. Well since then, I haven't had major issue with it till now. Anywhere above 60mph when i'm crusining I notice my steering wheel vibrates. It's not significant but it's enough to notice even when I have both my hands on it. So I went to get tire rotation & balance at random body shop. (Actually the place I got my tires from b/c they offer free rotation & balance till my tires wear out). Right after I got my car back, I notice it wasn't fixed. I still felt that vibration when I was driving. So last night I took it back to same place complaining that it wasn't fixed so they took a look at it again. So the manager comes out and tells me this "I wasn't aware you put yokohama tires on those, I would have advised you not to get them but I guess my employee didn't inform you that. They are known to create vibration than others" Now my quesiton is this. He offered to fix it well more like give it a second try if I feel vibration again but don't know what else he would do about these tires. I want to ask those yokohama tire users if this has happened to you and if did what did you guys do? Thanks

James
Old 10-07-2005, 01:46 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have about 5K miles on my Yoko ES100's and they are still the best tire I have ever had. Sounds like your tires aren't balanced, because I know lots of people who have run yoko's with no problems.

TAKE IT TO ANOTHER SHOP.........
Old 10-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Yoko tire are on the car? I am running the AVID V4S for 1000 miles now and no problems so far.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chet03TL-S
Which Yoko tire are on the car? I am running the AVID V4S for 1000 miles now and no problems so far.
I've had the Avid V4 (not the V4S, yeah, there is a difference) on the front of my CLS 6spd for over 10K miles (more or less, I'd have to check my records) without an issue. OEM's are still on the back...
Old 10-07-2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I've had the Avid V4 (not the V4S, yeah, there is a difference) on the front of my CLS 6spd for over 10K miles (more or less, I'd have to check my records) without an issue. OEM's are still on the back...
Sorry to be off topic, but is tire rotation against your religion
You should not get 10K more miles out of the rear tires on your car unless you never rotated them.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Love my V4S'. He's BSing you. There is nothing wrong with Yoks and they do not have a rep for being hard to balance.

Find a shop with a Hunter road force balancer.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Go Gators

I use the AVS Db S2 and have not had any problems ever...and this is my second set. Yokohama makes good tires.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:54 PM
13.2 @ 104.76mph

i had yoko es100 and they lasted a very long time with no vibration.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:45 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Starter
Love my V4S'. He's BSing you. There is nothing wrong with Yoks and they do not have a rep for being hard to balance.

Find a shop with a Hunter road force balancer.

Do exactly what he said. Ask for the Hunter in particular.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spdy0001
Sorry to be off topic, but is tire rotation against your religion
You should not get 10K more miles out of the rear tires on your car unless you never rotated them.
Long story short... yes. it's against my religion...

I bought a oem used (from someone here) to replace the 1st oem that got a bubble (up front), and got the pair of yokos on the front when another one (up front) went bad... Kept one oem as a spare and used that when one of the oem on the back went out...

What can I say, I'm tough on tires and potholes own me

Now that I'm thinking about it, the yokos have been up front for about 20K miles. They are staying there too, 'cause they grip better then the oems. Wearing evenly, but I did get it aligned when the yokos were installed.

I'll worry about rotating more often when I get a full set of yokos all the way around (or I'll let the next owner worry about tires).
Old 10-09-2005, 12:59 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
ive got a vibration prob and a loudness prob.....i really dont want to to get new tires untill i get my wheels (fingers crossed...soon). anyway, ive had mine for nearly 7,000m.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

well.. I'm thinking about taking it to local acura dealer.. they charge $40 for tire rotation and balance but at least they 'll guarantee their work. Assuming once I get my service done at the dealer and problem goes way, how likely do u think that I can go back to this body shop and ask for reimbursement? Mind you, I got the serivce there for free b/c it comes with purchase of tire so it's not like I have paid him to do the work. This way, if dealer still can't fix my problem then at least they won't ask me to pay for 40 bucks and i'll know for sure it's not rotation and balance that's causing the vibration. What do u guys think?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:30 PM

You should be fine going to the dealer.

Also remember nothing in life is free.............You paid for that tire rotation in the price of the tires
If the dealer can fix it I sure would tell the previous guy about it, and ask for some reimbursment the worst he can say it no
Old 10-11-2005, 03:37 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
well looks like i'm getting ES100s! it's one of the tires i've been looking to wrap some new wheels in.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Cruisin'

I have had yoko YK420s for about 20k miles now, and they are perfectly fine. Havent had any problems, beside my dad hit a car and popped the side wall. (dont laugh ) Other than that, no loud noises, vibrations, nothing. I havent even had to get them balanced or aligned since then either. I also rotate them every 6500 miles, so I dont know if that makes a difference. But They seem to be excellent tires for the cost! (about 250 less) than the original Michelin.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Racer

I have had the V4S's for about 15K miles and have not had any problems at all.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Cruising in ATL!!

here's update for those who's wondering... Called him yesterday asking what I should do...
He wants me to bring in my car for at least 3 hours for him to try different combination. He wants to take my car to another shop with better machine I suppose to do another testing. If that fails, he'll order same set of tires from yokohama and put them on. If problem occurs again, he wants me to directly contact yokohama and see what they can do for me. So I contacted yokohama and they are saying if problem still occrus with another set of tires, they will determine if I have used more than 25% thread life and if I ddin't they would refund my money. Sounds too good to be true? I mean I hate having to go and waste 3 hours for something that should have been taken care of in the first place. What to do now!!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by baboya96
here's update for those who's wondering... Called him yesterday asking what I should do...
He wants me to bring in my car for at least 3 hours for him to try different combination. He wants to take my car to another shop with better machine I suppose to do another testing. If that fails, he'll order same set of tires from yokohama and put them on. If problem occurs again, he wants me to directly contact yokohama and see what they can do for me. So I contacted yokohama and they are saying if problem still occrus with another set of tires, they will determine if I have used more than 25% thread life and if I ddin't they would refund my money. Sounds too good to be true? I mean I hate having to go and waste 3 hours for something that should have been taken care of in the first place. What to do now!!
Sounds like your vendor is making a good faith effort to make it right. If he sends it to another shop, make sure they have the Hunter machine referenced above. They are fairly common so you should have no problem finding one in the Atlanta area.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

sorry to bring this thread back to life but i just recently got Yoko AS430's 235/45/17 on stock rims and i'm getting a pretty heavy vibration in the steering wheel from 60mph+ and body vibration from 75mph+. NTB installed them and so far i've had them rebalanced twice, the second time the mechanic told me the tire didnt fit perfectly? any ideas guys?

ps: how did everything turn out? did you get the yoko's replaced and is the vibration gone now?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:14 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Originally Posted by vibe
ps: how did everything turn out? did you get the yoko's replaced and is the vibration gone now?
Well here's what happened... so I took my car in and left it there for good 3-4 hours. The manager took it to some place else with better balancing machine (at least that's what he told me), found out one of my tire is defective so they ordered me a new one without any charge. Once the tire got there i took my car it to get it replaced, left the body shop and it felt as good as new. Handling felt tighter no vibration on high speed. I loved it!!! but then here's what happened recently.

I'm about 1000 miles over on engine oil change and trying to decide if i want to go back there to get it done. Also, SOMETIMES meaning not as often as before, I'm starting to feel vibration again. But then it's not as bad as before but I can def tell it's there. Now, I don't know if the car needs simple balancing so hopefully i'll find that out soon enough. I'll tell you what tho, after another 20,000 miles on these tires, I wouldn't invest my money on yokohama or at Big10Tires. Can't really tell whose fault it is.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:07 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigguyonbike
i had yoko es100 and they lasted a very long time with no vibration.
very good tire imo.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Advanced

I have the Yokohama AVID V4S 215/50/17, and let me tell you, they suck! The first 8,000 - 10,000 miles they are great tires, grip, traction, you name it. Well, I am on about 13,000 miles now, and I have major problems. First, I have nearly worn the treads off all the tires. I rotate regulary and have my alignment checked at every oil change (by 2 acura dealers), and I still have tires wearing unevenly. They call it radial pull, and once it happens, you are screwed. These are my third set of Yokohama's (dating back to my earlier cars) and they all have the exact same problem: great at first, but tread life is HORRIBLE. You will be hard pressed to find someone who gets a full life out of the tire. Worse, because of the radial pull, my car is never really tracking straight. As for the guy who complained about the shaking - my car shakes at lower speeds, around 30 mph and braking. The dealer said my brakes were fine, and that the tires were correctly balanced. It has to do with uneven tread wear which makes the tire shimmy. Nothing you can do about it, EXCEPT not buy Yokohamas ever again. I, for one, will switch to either Pirelli or Michelin.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Go to this site and find a Hunter wheel balance dealer.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 12-07-2005, 09:12 PM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
i used to have yoko yk420's on the back of my cl. i didn't like them. they rode good and were quiet, but my car oversteered with them. that made me feel a little uneasy driving hard on them. i will stick with pilot sports or eagle f1's from now on. those two have worked on every car i have ever had.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Intermediate

so after National Tire and Battery tried to rebalance the tires twice , i went to Criswell Honda and everythings perfect now, feels good as new. they had the gsp9700 but said it wasnt needed and that it was gonna cost 280$ oh well, i'm just glad its fixed