what are the options for coilovers

as the title says, what are the options for coilovers for our cars
Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 669 Likes on 391 Posts
k-sport
omnipower
tein
theres more but those are the three main ones off the top of my head i remember. its early im still tired lol. i got omnipower coils and love them. not too hard not too soft.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:18 AM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Also, Function&Form, Megan, Ground Control, Zeal and APEXi if you can find em
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Tein SS > All
Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Tein SS > All
Lol what have you been smokin? Tein is probably at the bottom of the list.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 PM
To many cars in my garage

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im looking for the cheapest but somthing that is not going to break
Old 02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MrFluffy
Im looking for the cheapest but somthing that is not going to break
theres a member in the bm selling some omnipower coils for $500 plus shipping.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/2g-tl-cl-omnipower-coilovers-759411/
Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by p.diddy
Lol what have you been smokin? Tein is probably at the bottom of the list.
I'm on my 5th suspension setup, and couldn't be happier with my Tein SS-P's, they're my 3rd set of coils. Just stating my experience, and teins ride quality is second to none

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759411
You wanna talk about a rough ride? This was the first set of coils I owned, yikes, the omnis I owned were stiff as hell
Old 02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
To many cars in my garage

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759411
I saw that one but I got a good price for shocks I just want coil overs unless that guy would ship them to canada for 400
Old 02-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
first coilovers were tein Basics. what a waste of money that was. switched to Ksports in less than 3 months, i like them a lot
Old 02-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

I've just heard way too many people complain about teins. Soft and hard is different for everyone.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:27 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Tein SS > All
No way...I sold my Tein SS in favor of the K-Sports. The quality is there, just not what I needed. They werent even close to low enough, and with my wheel setup, they were too soft adjusted all the way stiff. I rubbed all the time.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I switch from tein ss to ksports but ksports are way too stiff for my taste. If you want the function and form is the best bang for your buck. ebay sells it for 630shipped brand spanking new. I've had NEX, ground controls,ksports, tein ss, tein basics on my 2nd gen TL and on my CL. going to try the function and form.

Last edited by victorvu; 02-17-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by victorvu
I switch from tein ss to ksports but ksports are way too stiff for my taste. If you want the function and form is the best bang for your buck. ebay sells it for 630shipped brand spanking new. I've had NEX, ground controls,ksports, tein ss, tein basics on my 2nd gen TL and on my CL. going to try the function and form.
ksports way too stiff? once you buy aftermarket wheels with low(er) offset you will realize why you dont want much travel in your suspension. sorry if im speaking out of turn but please dont go there with ebay talk, there is reputable sponsors on here who i'd rather deal with in a heartbeat than someone from ebay. i dont even know what the heck your trying to say with this 'function and form' jibberish. if you want Function AND Form why are you dissing on Ksport? ive been nothing but totally satisfied with them.

instead of just mentioning brands youve used, why not give a rundown of why you got rid of them? pros and cons?

your last statement you said "going to try the function and form" what do you mean by this? im sorry im just so lost. help a brother out
Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DLntheCL
ksports way too stiff? once you buy aftermarket wheels with low(er) offset you will realize why you dont want much travel in your suspension. sorry if im speaking out of turn but please dont go there with ebay talk, there is reputable sponsors on here who i'd rather deal with in a heartbeat than someone from ebay. i dont even know what the heck your trying to say with this 'function and form' jibberish. if you want Function AND Form why are you dissing on Ksport? ive been nothing but totally satisfied with them.

instead of just mentioning brands youve used, why not give a rundown of why you got rid of them? pros and cons?

your last statement you said "going to try the function and form" what do you mean by this? im sorry im just so lost. help a brother out
lol function and form is another coilover brand. I've heard nothing but great things about them. Google it.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:15 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ what he said. if you want a break down on suspension here ill list it:

NEX Coilovers: they were 4 way adjustable i think not much adjustability and very bouncy imo harder to raise and lower then teins or ksports.

tein basics: drop was nice not much adjustability

tein ss: front doesnt go low enough if you get tein replacement springs it'll drop the front lower and its a stiffer spring rate then the oem tein spring.

ksports: alot of adjustability but even on the softest setting its still too stiff. When i drive from San Jose to Sacramento i have people sitting in the back hitting their head on my roof. I was dropped almost rim tuck all around. It can drop low dont get me wrong but its not for me as my car is a daily driver.

Ground Controls: Ran this with tokico illuminas they were great but didnt have the adjustability that i really wanted plus full coilovers are a lot better.

Tokico hp with eibach sportline: smooth but still a little bouncy because its pretty stiff for springs.

Tokico Illuminas with eibach pro kit: nice drop not as low as sportline but the ride is same or smoother then stock and you dont have to avoid bumps because you wont scrape.
If you think ebay is a rip off then thats fine. i dont get ripped off on ebay i check everything i buy. BTW the people that sells the FUNCTION and FORM have a lot of feedback.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,323 Likes on 4,900 Posts
F2 (function and form) are very similar to the K-Sports (I think they are made in the same factory, just anodized another color. The same goes for the Megan coilovers.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by 02type-s
No way...I sold my Tein SS in favor of the K-Sports. The quality is there, just not what I needed. They werent even close to low enough, and with my wheel setup, they were too soft adjusted all the way stiff. I rubbed all the time.
I sold my D2's (pretty much the same as K-sports, made in the same building) for Tein SS-P's, but I like the softer ride, the D2's were still too stiff for me, even with the adjustable shocks, the spring rates just weren't soft enough. Looks like victorvu and I share the same suspension taste

Originally Posted by victorvu
I switch from tein ss to ksports but ksports are way too stiff for my taste.
My D2's were stiff, I love the stock feel of my Tein SS, of course I'm not slammed anymore, and I am putting 18's on
Old 02-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
anyone with function form?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by cu0ngsayz
anyone with function form?
I'm currently riding on Function and Form (F2) Type 1. They are non dampening adjustable. The type 2's I think have 32 or 24 levels of adjustment.

I really wanted to get the adjustable one's, but I pulled the trigger on a good deal for a pair of type 1's. I just couldn't go another summer without being lowered. The car used to handle like a big boat. I had Tein basics on my Integra and swore the next time I got a pair of coils they would have dampening adjustments.

I should have waited because these coils are a little too stiff for me. Granted I am about 3 inches lower than stock, and I have oem wheels. Like everyone says these coilovers will drop the car practically on the frame. My avatar pic was when I had the car down 4 inches. I was tucking 17's! Just for a month though. It was way too low and harsh. Broke a balljoint too. The ride isn't unbearable buts its certainly not smooth. Don't get me wrong though the car handles turns like it's on rails, like a go-kart.

I must mention that the F2's are a pain too adjust the height. The spring is pre-loaded from the factory. It's marked with a warning sticker not to touch. So you can't change the height unless you un-bolt the lower arms. Which frees up the shock body and then you can spin the bottom to finally adjust the damn height. But this is the reason that everyone likes them because they give the shock full travel at any height.

Maybe I'll like them better when I get some 18's and I don't rub. I'm still considering upgrading to a adjustable set of coils. Don't care what brand I just want a smoother ride.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:08 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SlickShiftNall6
I'm currently riding on Function and Form (F2) Type 1. They are non dampening adjustable. The type 2's I think have 32 or 24 levels of adjustment.

I really wanted to get the adjustable one's, but I pulled the trigger on a good deal for a pair of type 1's. I just couldn't go another summer without being lowered. The car used to handle like a big boat. I had Tein basics on my Integra and swore the next time I got a pair of coils they would have dampening adjustments.

I should have waited because these coils are a little too stiff for me. Granted I am about 3 inches lower than stock, and I have oem wheels. Like everyone says these coilovers will drop the car practically on the frame. My avatar pic was when I had the car down 4 inches. I was tucking 17's! Just for a month though. It was way too low and harsh. Broke a balljoint too. The ride isn't unbearable buts its certainly not smooth. Don't get me wrong though the car handles turns like it's on rails, like a go-kart.

I must mention that the F2's are a pain too adjust the height. The spring is pre-loaded from the factory. It's marked with a warning sticker not to touch. So you can't change the height unless you un-bolt the lower arms. Which frees up the shock body and then you can spin the bottom to finally adjust the damn height. But this is the reason that everyone likes them because they give the shock full travel at any height.

Maybe I'll like them better when I get some 18's and I don't rub. I'm still considering upgrading to a adjustable set of coils. Don't care what brand I just want a smoother ride.
well said... i was gonna pull the trigger on the f2-t1 too but i was like WAIT spring rate 12, CANT adjust?!?!?!? let me do some more research hahaha