Very bad tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011 | 12:10 PM
Instructor

Very bad tire wear

Hello friends, my front tires are wearing excesivelly on the inside, specially the passenger side tire. Aligment shop says it is within tolerance. Car will steer a bit towards the right. When I put a construction level vertically on the tire side it will show that the top of wheel is leaning a bit inward. Where should I start looking for the problem? Nothing seems bent (even though this car goes through rough roads)? Is there a common issue with this? It is really frustrating to have brand new tires that are ruined because the inner edge is all eaten up (worn). Tires are 235/45 17 inch. All help is highly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2011 | 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

did you get an alignment and check the specs? It sounds like its toe wear, happened to me on my front driver's tire. Good thing I found it when I went for my rotation cause it could have gone to the wires.
Old 03-16-2011 | 09:00 AM
Instructor

sorry for the late reply, had been out of town... it has been to the aligment shop twice, their computer loads same vehicle model and everything shows its is ok or "within tolerance". I can see the camber a bit out... top of wheel leaning inward, going to check down there if that can be corrected with a couple of washers (spacers)... any sugestions anyone??
Old 04-04-2011 | 05:11 AM
Suzuka Master

is tire wear even on both sides?

If I was you, I would take the car to your local ACURA dealer and see what they say. I am sure they will pinpoint the problem fairly quickly

Toe wear - a feathered wear pattern across both front tires, and sometimes shoulder wear on the inner or outer edge of both tires. Toe wear is usually caused by worn tie rod ends, but may also result from worn or loose inner tie rod sockets on rack and pinion steering gears. Other causes include bent steering arms or misalignment in the rear wheels. Measuring toe out with the wheels turned 20 degrees to either side can help you detect a bent steering arm.
If toe wear is accompanied by steering looseness or steering wander, there's a very good chance the tie rod ends are worn. Proceed to the steering checks. If toe wear is accompanied by steering pull or off-center steering, rear wheel toe alignment or axle alignment may be out of specifications.

Camber wear - uneven wear on one side of a tire may show up when control arm bushings have collapsed, ball joints are loose, a spindle or strut is bent, or a strut tower is out of its normal position (due to factory misassembly, collision damage, body sag or severe corrosion).
Another overlooked cause of camber wear can be a front-wheel drive engine cradle that has shifted out-of-position to one side. A weak or broken spring can also allow camber changes in the suspension that produce camber wear on a tire.

Cupped wear - this may be the result of badly worn shocks or struts, or wheel and tire imbalance.
Old 04-04-2011 | 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Do they have Acura dealers in Panama? lol