Thousand Dollar Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 AM
AcuredCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Thousand Dollar Ticking

I dropped my car off at my local mechanic on Thursday night, so Friday after noon i get a call and i ask him what the ticking is, and he says well...The whining noise your hearing when your doing 60-80(pkwy speed) is from the tires...because your struts up front are gone,(as in theirs no more gas in them) ..basically i need new ones. in addition you have NO rear brakes and when i do your new struts i am going to need to do a T-RO and a wheel alignment. That came to 860. I asked what about the ticking?, he said he didnt get to it yet haha. GREATT

Well clearly i took my car and didnt get anywork done except for a new belt which cost me $80 bucks..better than the $800. The belt only cost this guy $5 dollars. and charged me the rest in labor. I dont have time to do it my self, soi just took what i had to and left.

He was going to put Monroe stuts on the car, which is definitly a good name company and charge me 400 for just the front struts. My friend can get them at the at cost price which is $80 a piece $160 a pair. Do you guys think i should go with the Monroes? or switch it up with something adjustable. My friend said dont get anythign adjustable unless you are going to track the car. Anyone in favor of adjustable like a Bilstein or Tein? or should i just kinda keep it non adjustable.

Brakes im gunna slap on sum slotted and the green stuff with some stainless steal brake lines and new fluid and call it a day.

Sorry for the novel, but haha this mechanic cracks me up everytimee
Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does he mean by gone? The pads need replacing or what? I also guess you mean the timing belt. I'd suggest maybe going with Tokico HPs for the shocks. You can get all four on ebay for around $250.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:06 AM
CL-S Hunting!

I don't see how noise from the tires has ANYTHING to do with bad front struts. Noisy tires usually means they are wearing improperly, so definitely sounds like you could use an alignment as well.

For me, I just couldn't put stock replacement struts on the car knowing that there are much better aftermarket choices out there, especially since you are already paying for the labor anyway. It all depends on what you want. IMO, I would do Koni's because of the lifetime warranty. The ride may suffer a little bit, but its not that big of deal IMO.

The nice thing about adjustable coilovers though, is that you can raise the car back up whenever you want, like in the winter time.

If you have any mechanical ability and have decent tools, its not that hard to do struts.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Racer

yeah i agree, tires and struts are not that closely related. as for your rear brakes being gone, you may wanna have them check your res. and lines. the front should always wear faster. and if youre going to get struts, monroe is a very good company but i would get something great, not good. and if you arent going to track it you dont need track level, but you dont wanna buy the same shit they put on geo metros.. haha.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
As others have said, I would go with aftermarket shocks. I have Tokico Illumina's, and they're great.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Tokico HP shocks all 4 $259 shipped Ebay seller JDMWerks
How many miles on the car?

And that's a local shop? Sounds like a dealer with those prices.
Try to find a shop that does work on Honda's. They are always cheaper.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Ticking might be the purge valve solenoid. I need to replace mine... Search for purge or solenoid to find more info...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=Solenoid

I notice the ticking alot when I pull up to a fast food drive thru or drive thru ATM. Since I have the window down and the ticking echos off the buildings wall. If you pop the hood and put your ear to the area pictured above, you should be able to tell if it's the purge valve.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i gotta a set of stock 2001 cl front struts i'll sell you for 40.00 plus shipping.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 PM
AcuredCLS

Originally Posted by ThinJim
i gotta a set of stock 2001 cl front struts i'll sell you for 40.00 plus shipping.

thanks, but im gunan upgradee
Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 PM
AcuredCLS

So i spoke to my friend, he knows cars really well. I have 60K on my car and i think im gunan upgrade. As i thought he convinved me not to get adjustables, so im gunna go with a Monroe strut because i can get them at the "at cost" price which is $80bucks...not bad for a set at $320. And while im doin it, im going to just drop the car, but im going back and fourth between Tanabe springs for $189 with a 1 inch drop in the front and half an inch in the rear...Tein S-tech for $200 with a 2.1inch drop and 1.7 in the rear. I think the 2 inch drop might be a little much for me. I live in New York on Long Island seems a little much, im nervous with the drop if its to low. I want to look into Comptech Springs, but heard mixed review on them. Anyone with suggestions on which ones to go for.

Since comptech's site never works i cant see how much and the drop on them anyone know? Samething for the H&R i saw their were 4 different widtch 5, 10, 15, 20 didnt know what that meant..anyone know? Plus what is the drop for the Comptech and H&R's with price?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Why spend over $300? Get the Tokicos mentioned for way less then that. They are a better performance strut. I've had 2 CL's with them. Many other member have them as well.
Those Monroe's are just stock replacements.
If your going to lower the car get performance struts.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuredCLS
So i spoke to my friend, he knows cars really well. I have 60K on my car and i think im gunan upgrade. As i thought he convinved me not to get adjustables, so im gunna go with a Monroe strut because i can get them at the "at cost" price which is $80bucks...not bad for a set at $320. And while im doin it, im going to just drop the car, but im going back and fourth between Tanabe springs for $189 with a 1 inch drop in the front and half an inch in the rear...Tein S-tech for $200 with a 2.1inch drop and 1.7 in the rear. I think the 2 inch drop might be a little much for me. I live in New York on Long Island seems a little much, im nervous with the drop if its to low. I want to look into Comptech Springs, but heard mixed review on them. Anyone with suggestions on which ones to go for.

Since comptech's site never works i cant see how much and the drop on them anyone know? Samething for the H&R i saw their were 4 different widtch 5, 10, 15, 20 didnt know what that meant..anyone know? Plus what is the drop for the Comptech and H&R's with price?
Comptech had just had their springs listed for $99.99, which is a great price. Unfortunately it looks like that was a closeout price or something, because now they're gone.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Advance

Monroe's suck.. I say you pick up a set of used coilovers on the black market.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:18 AM
AcuredCLS

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Why spend over $300? Get the Tokicos mentioned for way less then that. They are a better performance strut. I've had 2 CL's with them. Many other member have them as well.
Those Monroe's are just stock replacements.
If your going to lower the car get performance struts.
The reason behind getting Monroes was because lifetime warranty and a brand i could def trust. Because i wont track my car it didnt make sense to get adjustables. I kinda really want em because you never know haha. The Tokicos people said ebay cheap, i see them for $355 plus shippin, are they cheaper anywhere else? and whats the warranty with the Tokicos?

Plus the Monroes are $80 bucks. techinically i only need front, but i figured lets just do em all at once while i have the car jacked. Thats when i started to look at other kinds of struts
Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 AM
AcuredCLS

Originally Posted by 2000TaffetaTL
Comptech had just had their springs listed for $99.99, which is a great price. Unfortunately it looks like that was a closeout price or something, because now they're gone.
I sware i saw it online too, but i didnt believe it haha..how much are they regularly... i wish the site worked
Old 01-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Uses turn signals in my

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason behind getting Monroes was because lifetime warranty and a brand i could def trust. Because i wont track my car it didnt make sense to get adjustables. I kinda really want em because you never know haha. The Tokicos people said ebay cheap, i see them for $355 plus shippin, are they cheaper anywhere else? and whats the warranty with the Tokicos?

Plus the Monroes are $80 bucks. techinically i only need front, but i figured lets just do em all at once while i have the car jacked. Thats when i started to look at other kinds of struts
I got mine for $259 shipped on ebay (ebay store). You might be looking at the more expensive adjustible Tokicos. Tokicos have lifetime warranty as well IIRC.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:32 AM
AcuredCLS

alright fuzzy my bad i thought you were talking about lluminas i did not realie u mean HP's, is that seller credible..i think im def gunan get those...gotta appreciate the modss

btw anyone know about the H&R as in price and the drop or comptechs

id do the teins, but i think id be happier with a 1.5 drop in the front..anyone know who has a drop of 1.5?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:52 AM
hates the winter

Get Tokico blues. The Monroes are going to wear out within 30k or less and you will have to spend the money 2x.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:29 AM
3.2L Vtec

alright fuzzy my bad i thought you were talking about lluminas i did not realie u mean HP's, is that seller credible..i think im def gunan get those...gotta appreciate the modss

btw anyone know about the H&R as in price and the drop or comptechs

id do the teins, but i think id be happier with a 1.5 drop in the front..anyone know who has a drop of 1.5?
seller is definitely crdible... Bought some last week and got it in three days

I nought some used h&r's on ebay also
Old 01-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Ya man, dont go with OEM replacement shocks, the travel on those monroes shocks wont be right for the shorter springs so you're going to get a bumpy ride and like the other guy said, they will wear out in no time and you will have to pay labor again even if the item is covered under a lifetime warranty.

Go with the Blues they are the same price and a better product.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 AM
CL-S Hunting!

Something else that I have not seen mentioned is that the Monroe's are designed for stock springs. Lowering the car will hurt the longevity of the Monroe's as they are just stock replacements and are valved to work with cars at stock ride height.

I really don't understand what your friend has against adjustable struts/shocks. IMO, Koni's are probably the best strut/shock out there. If they ever go bad, they have a lifetime warranty, AND you can have them revalve the new set to meet the exact needs you want out of your car. Of course they are also one of the more expensive options, but when its the last set you'll ever buy, who cares?

Edit: ^^^^ Crap, didn't see your post....
Old 01-20-2008, 04:46 PM
AcuredCLS

I ordered the Tokico HP's and im getting EBC drilled and slotted brake discs with EBC Green stuff pads. Thanks fuzzy and types6s for your help.

Im still dreading my springs and how big of the drop i should do. Theirs a kid i always see his photos he has a red CLS and on the photo it saids KMAC. His red CL in that picture looks nice, i was wondering how low his car is.

what do you guys think i should do on my drop, Im in the New York on Long Island area, theirs snow here haha..Im lookin into the comptechs, H&R and Tein, but i read someone had Teins and hated them so traded them for the H&R'..still cant find pricing on springs for the H&R's

I think the
1 inch - is not enough
1.5inch - low and practical
2.0inch - looks sicks and really low, but not practical..id be afraid id hit too many things

anyone??
Old 01-20-2008, 05:17 PM
RIP Dodge Shadow

tein basics ftw!...close to stock ride and adjustable...$650
Old 01-20-2008, 05:47 PM
CL-S Hunting!

I ordered the Tokico HP's and im getting EBC drilled and slotted brake discs with EBC Green stuff pads. Thanks fuzzy and types6s for your help.

Im still dreading my springs and how big of the drop i should do. Theirs a kid i always see his photos he has a red CLS and on the photo it saids KMAC. His red CL in that picture looks nice, i was wondering how low his car is.

what do you guys think i should do on my drop, Im in the New York on Long Island area, theirs snow here haha..Im lookin into the comptechs, H&R and Tein, but i read someone had Teins and hated them so traded them for the H&R'..still cant find pricing on springs for the H&R's

I think the
1 inch - is not enough
2.0inch - looks sicks and really low, but not practical..id be afraid id hit too many things

anyone??
I'm a fan of H&R's. Have them on both of my cars, and I really like them. I agree with your lowering range as well. Contrary to what most people think, slamming the car as low as you can HURTS handling. Lowering a car too far kills the suspension geometry, and ruins the handling. You want the lower control arm as close to parallel to the ground as possible, and that typically yields the best results. I think that right around 1.5" lowering is where you want to be for handling combined with comfort.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-21-2008, 12:53 AM
3.2L Vtec

I think the
1 inch - is not enough

anyone??
There is no snow here in cali but I have the H&R sports 58103 model and they are great... I love the drop and ride of them. I just put them on the other day and it doesn't lower the car where you have to watch every dip and pothole. The road hear also aren't that great but the tokico/H&R combo is suitable for the everyday driver

I also have that brake combo and I've had them for about 10,000 miles and no rotor warping yet... however the downfall is that they are a little noisy with the windows down and the music on mute I can hear them but they are I can't hear them with the windows up
Old 01-21-2008, 07:09 AM
AcuredCLS

Originally Posted by typeS6S
There is no snow here in cali but I have the H&R sports 58103 model and they are great... I love the drop and ride of them. I just put them on the other day and it doesn't lower the car where you have to watch every dip and pothole. The road hear also aren't that great but the tokico/H&R combo is suitable for the everyday driver

I also have that brake combo and I've had them for about 10,000 miles and no rotor warping yet... however the downfall is that they are a little noisy with the windows down and the music on mute I can hear them but they are I can't hear them with the windows up
I went online theirs a website they have springs for alot less. Its called optionimports.com and they have the tanabe for my car at an inch drop for like $178. I cant find the H&R's with that model number though. The only one that came close was the TL 50103 but it was year 2002-2003 with a 1.7 inch drop or the Honda Accord which is essentially our car with model number 51858. Is your model number right on those..because i cant find teh H&R not even on their website for my 01 CL you think the accord or TL's would fit?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 AM
AcuredCLS

Neuspeed is runnin a nice setup for $200 with a 1.8 inch drop up front and 1.7 in the rear, which is i think a lil more than what i am looking for. I wanted that 1.5 range up front. because i think the Tanabe is going to be still 4x4 mode. you think the neuspeed is too much? i mean its .2 inches away from slammed, but also .3inches away from perfect haha
Old 01-21-2008, 02:39 PM
3.2L Vtec

51858 is what I have... sorry about the confusion.I seem to have intertwined those two model numbers in my memory. I had the 51858 because I have a six speed and after reading the numerous threads. people say that would be best for a lighter six speed
Old 01-22-2008, 05:13 PM
AcuredCLS

Alright so the damage is finally done..I went from having a thousand dollar bill to only $652.22. I got the EBC Greenstuff brake pads with EBC crossdilled and slotted from autopartswarehouse.com for $193.22 and my Tokico struts off of ebay for $259 and i bought Tanabe Springs from our good friend Josh at Excelerate for $200 shipped to my house. I didnt pay shipping or tax on anything and the funny thing is the guy who was fixing my car if you remember the sotry he was only fixing my rear brakes and 2 front struts. I replaced all 4 struts with new springs and rear brakes for less than his price. I should have all the packages tommorow or Thursday the latest. The installation process will be Sunday if its not like twenty below. Ill make sure to take pics of the final stage with the drop and all...thanks everyone for their help
Old 01-25-2008, 12:14 AM
3.2L Vtec

congrats be sure to take pix
Old 01-28-2008, 07:35 PM
AcuredCLS

had a question on the noise...i put them on and i hear like a grinding noise as if the e-brake is hitting the rotor...is that the noise that you hear? because thats what i hear. because out e brake is a drum brake..im gunan see if i do summtin about that cuz i dunt wanna be the kid with the noisy car haha
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM
AcuredCLS

EBC Rotors

had a question on the noise...i put them on and i hear like a grinding noise as if the e-brake is hitting the rotor...is that the noise that you hear? because thats what i hear. because out e brake is a drum brake..im gunan see if i do summtin about that cuz i dunt wanna be the kid with the noisy car haha