Tein Luxury vs. CT (Eibach) springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Tein Luxury vs. CT (Eibach) springs

I currently have Comptech (eibach) springs with koni yellows on the higher perch. I was thinking of raising the car up a little. I found some Tein Luxury springs. From previous posts, it looks like the Teins would be more comfortable and ride higher than the Comptechs. Has anyone tried out both springs in their cars? How much of a hit would I take on handling by going to the Teins? Also, how would Koni lower perch + Teins compare to Koni higher perch + Comptechs (my current set up). Any ideas of hieght difference between my current set up and Koni low perch + Teins. From what I've read, that should make the rear of the car a little higher than it currently is and the front close to where it is now. I enjoy the handling and the reduced body roll with my current set up, but a little more comfort would be nice and the added height might help make it easier to clear Toronto snow.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I might suggest a coilover setup if you're wanting to raise/lower and adjust the ride comfort. Either the Tein Basic (only ride height adjustable) or the Tein SS (ride height & dampening adjustable) may be more of what you're looking for. Selling your spring/shock setup will more than likely pay for a used set of either coilovers.

Sorry, can't comment on you question, though.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 PM
ridin slow'n'low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's looking for a more comfortable ride. I'm pretty sure the springs on tein basics are twice the spring rates of the H-techs that he's considerig.

No idea what to suggest either, to be honest. Aren't all springs for CLs designed for the auto trannies, hence giving all the 6spd'ers uneven drops? Best bet really then are coilovers, but you don't want to sacrifice ride quality, so who knows.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
heres a write-up i did for stickgoat when she wanted to compare S.Techs and H.techs. The S.Techs have a 1.8-2.1 inch drop and i assume your springs have about the same. I went from S.techs to H.Techs.

Originally Posted by aznboi2424

Heres the comparison. Its really long because I want to answer as many of your questions and concerns as I can and let you be informed about the product before you buy it or put it on your car. Thats how I would want it so I try to research and get reviews of products before I buy so I dont have any regrets later. Enjoy! and if you have anymore questions or concerns, me PM me.

Looks:
S.Tech: Simply just looks great! Doesn't look excessively low or overdone like on some civics or RSX. Very aggressive but subtle. I gotten friends that say it doesn't even look like its been lowered. Looks like what it should be out of the factory.

H.Tech: Also looks great, not as aggressive but much improved over stock. No longer with the 4X4 look. Equal distance in the wheel well. Does not look lowered at all.
S.Tech: Improved handling over stock and H.Tech. Minimal body roll. Sharp handling. Tein says S.Techs can be used with OE shocks but they seems to wear out faster. Upgrading is recommended but not needed. Camber kit maybe needed but usually not.

H.Tech: Improved handling over stock. Noticeably more body roll than S.Techs. Again Tein says H.Techs can be used with OE shocks but does not take as much abuse as S.Techs. Upgrading is not necessary but optional. Camber kit rarely needed.
S.Tech: Ride is quite bumpy depending on conditions. Not luxury but still very smooth. Highway cruising is more rough. Because of lowered height, be cautious of dips, high/steep speed bumps, tall/steep curbs and driveways. You will need to worry about scraping when having a any combination of: going fast over rough roads, carrying 2 passengers in the back, or a heavy load in the trunk. Rubbing in the back maybe an issue if you decide to upgrade to wide tires ex: 225/40/18 if you have any of the above combinations stated earlier.

H.Tech: Ride is much smoother over S.Techs. Still a little bumpy and rough but not close to S.Tech. Virtually no worries about scraping or rubbing except the normal going slow over speed bumps and driveways. Almost like stock. No longer any worries about rubbing or scraping when carrying multiple passengers or heavy load in trunk. Which was a big relief for me and the main reason for switching.

**Personally with you autocrossing and your history of modded and lowered cars both sport and performance, I recommended the S. Techs. They will give you the handling you need on the track but still maintain a good ride on the streets. And you will absolutly love how it looks, I miss it already even though I have my H.Techs. Although I have to tell you that the comfort level will obviosuly go down as with lowering any car and you will have to be a little more careful with how you approach bumps and driveways. I have upgraded wheels and tires and my rear was rubbing only on those occasions that I mentioned because the tire was too wide to fit inside the wheel well when the car dipped. If you drive by yourself and 1 passenger or not have heavy loads in the trunk, you will not have to worry about this even if you upgrade your wheels. A full tank does not count as a heavy load and I have never had any problems with rubbing when on a full tank. These concerns, performance reviews, and comfort reviews are based upon my car with 225/40/18 and subwoofers in the trunk. Comfort maybe better with your stock wheels but closer to my reviews if you upgrade. But I think S. Techs will be a good choice for you. Many members have the same springs and drop with no problems or concerns.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 AM
cLs - 6

I have Eibach prokit springs for my 6 speed and its pretty even all around.. its about a half to an inch above tire.. looking for new struts tho.. mine are bad...

Actually.. my bros TLS has Tien SS with koni blue's??? i think.. and its an even drop all around and its tucken tire!!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the good review aznboi of the h-tech springs. I just ordered a set with Bilstein sports from excellerate.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:40 PM
3.2L Vtec

Originally Posted by TLy2522
I have Eibach prokit springs for my 6 speed and its pretty even all around.. its about a half to an inch above tire.. looking for new struts tho.. mine are bad...

Actually.. my bros TLS has Tien SS with koni blue's??? i think.. and its an even drop all around and its tucken tire!!!!
How is that possible?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 PM
sIx SpEeD

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i thought tien SS were the coilovers.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 PM
ridin slow'n'low

SS are coilovers. TLy2522 probably meant s-tech...
Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 AM
cLs - 6

... haha.. yea.. they're "S" something.. i forgot so just inputed a type.

But yea.. i dont know why its so even either... at first the front was higher than the back but about a month later.. its became even..

I was almost tempted to cut a coil from my fronts..

I'll try to get a pic of it and post it within the week!!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Racer

My current drop with the CT is even all around. Sometimes it looks like the rear may be sagging just a bit, but I think that's dependent on what angle of the ground. It seem even when on a flat, non-inclining or declining surface. I wish the back was little bit higher. Initially when I got my CT and Koni blue setup on the low perch, my rear was tucked in. With the Konis on the higher perch I have about a finger gap at most in the rear wheel well and I've been lucky and not required a camber kit...had an allignment done a two different shops over a year and they both said car in speck. I haven't had any rubbing issues with the pilot sport a/s 235 width on my OZ 17" rims. I've been lucky in both those areas!

I was initially thinking coilovers when I got my CT's but I've heard of concerns with all the salt we have up here in the toronto area. The dropped look doesn't look the best with snow tires on, but looks nice with the OZ's on! I do like how the Htechs get rid of the 4X4 look, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to give up the limited body roll I have now with the CT's! I find dips in the road to be the worst thing about the CT's, you definitely feel them! That caught me by surprise when I initially got them. Speed bumps, etc aren't a problem b/c I've never gone over them fast even in my older car. It looks like the S Tech may be comparable to my CT's.

It's a toss up! On one hand I love the handling with the CT's on the other, the comfort leaves a bit to be desired.

Aznboi2424 what shocks are you using? If Konis, have you tried the different perches?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

im still running stock shocks.
Im getting a loud creaking sound from the RF when ever i go over bumps, accelerate or stop. basically when the front end moves. any one know what it is? A few places have no idea and some said the shocks or the silencer rubbers. I got the rubbers taken care of but its still the same. So im thinking either ball joints, end links? or is it actually the shocks? when i got the H.Techs installed 2 months ago the installer said it was still pretty good although worn since it did take a few secs to rebound but they werent leaking.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Racer

I'm getting a creaking type of sound too when going over speed bumps or dips(not uneven pavement) in the road. I am curious too as to what it may be. From searching on the forums I gather it could be just about anything suspension related. It seems most common on the front passenger side. Mine is worse as the temp gets closer to freezing point and if I have passengers in the car. I think it may not be the the springs and struts themselves since you are running different springs and struts than me but seem to have a similar problem. I still have to relube the swaybar bushings. I have seen comments about the endlinks not being too good and to upgrade to the Moog endlinks in some other threads. Now that it has warmed up, the noise is gone, but where it initially started acting up in temps of around 0 celcius with atleast a passenger in the car, it will now do it at plus 4/5 degress celcius without any passengers! I had my swaybars on for few years before my springs/struts and the noise started the winter after getting my springs/struts on. Hmmm...first noticed noise in November 2006, got springs Feb 2005. Swaybars were in summer 2003 I think.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:44 AM
Suzuka Master

yea, ive been having it for about a year now. it sucks no one can find the cause, then i could fix it but i cant! mine isnt temp related. been going on everyday for the past year.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Racer

I hate it when I hear that creaking noise! The car doesn' t feel solid when I hear it! The only rattle I used to get was the sunroof and now this creak is so annoying. Too bad your's is present at all times.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
^ Some on the TL side (years ago, havent heard any one recently complaining about it) had that as well. The fix was to take the springs out and get the MDX rubber sleeves to slide over the lower part of the spring where they rub together creating a creaking noise.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
gurot1 : looking at your sig, i see you have a 6 speed, don't do the same mistake as me :
i installed Tein H Tech for 24 hours (couldn't stand the look). the ride was very comfortable and it handled good, but had like 4 loose fingers wheel-fender gap on the front and 2 very tight fingers in the back = looked horrible.

i contacted Tein about this and they wouldn't take them back, i ended up selling them to a local guy with a TL. i kept telling the Tein guy e-mailing me that they developped these for TL and CL with automatic transmission and that the advertised lowering was far from reality on a 6 Speed, he didn't understand (or didn't want to). he offered to send them so they could analyse them to see if they were within specs, but i lost enough money on Tein that i didn't want to pour more money in this company.

that's twice having problems with Tein products : never again.

i installed Tanabe NF-210 instead.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Well my H.Techs came with the silencer rubbers already while some moron/idiot removed them on my S.Techs so i thought installing springs that had silencer rubbers on them would solve the problem but it didnt. It has to be a wear item since I didnt do this the year and 1/2 ago when i bought it.
Unless i need to try to wrap the whole spring in rubber but i doubt its the springs's problem since im on my second set with noise on both.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Racer

Type S Zero, . Where abouts in Canada are you? How do you like the Tanabe? How many finger gap do you have. When you had the Teins was the car actually sagging in the rear (ie distance from ground to bottom of car rather than finger gap in wheel well) Right now with my CT's i think I have 2 in the front and one in the back. With snows on the car looks like it's lowered too much,but with my OZ's back on it looks great.
I just put my summers back on and guess what...the car is actually a little smoother. I checked the pressure on my snow...it's at 40psi, tire is rated at 44psi max! I forgot to take out some air as the temp warmed up! That probably explains a bit about why the ride was feeling so rough! With the summers on it's more comfortable, not to mention it handles great again.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
i don't remember how it was, i performed a little height tweeking for the front : took off the rings for the forks and installed the shock ½" ~ ¾" lower in the forks.

i did this in fall and brought it in storage at home right after (i don't remember the fingers gap F/R and didn't do it yet since i got it out....but wheel to fender gaps are pretty equal or close to).

i like my tanabe's, now i'd need koni yellows for a better match. Tein's were more conforable though (my issue is that rear was way too low for my taste and bringing the camber too negative (didn't want to install camber kits)... after doing the aligment with the Tanabe's : camber specs were good with oem arms). i had modified civics and del sol (handling better than my brother's S2000) but i want to keep this one comfortable (doing a lot of mechanic (50+ hours a week) is hard on the human body year after year)

i bought my parts from Excellerate : he sends to Canada with very good prices

psi changes from temperature will go about about 3~6 psi from normal 20 C to -15 C and less (i'm a tech at acura, so i've seen this all winter...especially with all vehicules having TPMS now).

in hot summer, a TL/CL tire at 32 psi cold will get to 40 psi when cars get off the highway.

i'm in the province of Quebec
Old 05-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Registered CL-er!

does anyone think that using the tein h. springs for the 4cyl accord will be good? Tein state it will lower the car f1.4/r1.3

Or maybe the tanabe gf accord spring?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Racer

Thanks fsttyms1. I will take a look into the MDX sleeve thing. Gonna take it in for a check up in the next week or so to see if the shop can see anything wrong and then maybe get some of those sleeves and try that out. Of course, it is warmer now so I won't be able to tell until winter!
Old 06-02-2008, 03:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
where do u buy this MDX sleeve thing FRM. PLS DONT SAY DEALER
Old 06-02-2008, 03:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
where do u buy this MDX sleeve thing FRM. PLS DONT SAY DEALER