Springs for the rake look?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springs for the rake look?

Being part of the "rusted Comptech springs" club, I've decided to change them. I would also like to change the stock shocks to either Tokico hp blues or Bilsteins - coilovers are not an option for me as I don't need the adjustability.

Question is, what springs will give me the rake look that I have with the Comptechs? (if any) I believe the original advertised drop was 1.5" front and 1" rear. I found 2 advertised springs with the same .5" difference - Tanabe Sustec NF210 and TEIN Luxury Master High Tech, both available from autocarparts.com. Does anyone have these springs? What do you guys think?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
why not just get new comptechs. the new ones are made by eibach right, so they shouldn't have the rust problem?

btw I have comptech with tokico blue and I have the rake. I hate it though.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
why not just get new comptechs. the new ones are made by eibach right, so they shouldn't have the rust problem?

btw I have comptech with tokico blue and I have the rake. I hate it though.
Based on the other pics that I saw of the Eibachs, the drop looks even...some have the droopy butt look, in my opinion. The old Comptechs have a more pronounced rake, which I like.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 1coolcat
Based on the other pics that I saw of the Eibachs, the drop looks even...some have the droopy butt look, in my opinion. The old Comptechs have a more pronounced rake, which I like.
Others have made that same comment but I'm not sure if I agree. The old Comptech's had a difference of .25" between the front and rear. The new Comptech's/Eibach's have a .35" difference between the front and rear.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Originally Posted by Allout
Others have made that same comment but I'm not sure if I agree. The old Comptech's had a difference of .25" between the front and rear. The new Comptech's/Eibach's have a .35" difference between the front and rear.
I think the old Comptechs had a difference of .5"...but I could be wrong. autocarparts.com is showing the drop as 1.5/1.0".
Old 10-08-2004, 11:20 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Eibach (Comptech) springs on Neuspeed/Koni Yellows ... depending on the perches used, you can have droopy butt, level, or rake ... this looks like a rake to me

Old 10-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just go coil-overs, and adjust it to the hieght you want.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Just go coil-overs, and adjust it to the hieght you want.
Coilovers are overkill for me, trying to explore other options.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Pimp Daddy Gold

Current look.

Old 10-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

Springs & blings

Being part of the "rusted Comptech springs" club, I've decided to change them. I would also like to change the stock shocks to either Tokico hp blues or Bilsteins - coilovers are not an option for me as I don't need the adjustability.

Question is, what springs will give me the rake look that I have with the Comptechs? (if any) I believe the original advertised drop was 1.5" front and 1" rear. I found 2 advertised springs with the same .5" difference - Tanabe Sustec NF210 and TEIN Luxury Master High Tech, both available from autocarparts.com. Does anyone have these springs? What do you guys think?
This is what I've got on my lowered CL; Eibach Prokit coil springs with front and rear camber adjustment kits, Koni Adjustable shock absorbers and Yokohama AVS ES100 215/50/WR/17 performance tires. It's definitely low and raked.

I've got the shocks set at 3/4 firm so I can corner like a rat in a maize, but you can dial em down if your lady likes a softer ride.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:18 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

how firm are the tokico blues...since we cant adjust those, are they firm enough?
Old 10-31-2004, 08:03 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as you are.

I got the Comptechs and love the rake look. I'll be going with the Tein Luxury Springs probably next summer. My Comptechs are barely rusty yet. I'm sure this winter will kill them though.

Coilovers aren't an option for me cause I already got Koni Yellows.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:48 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same boat too.

My Comptechs are just getting rusty but not yet rusted. I do like the Comptech conservative drop and the slight rake.

I just got my Koni Yellows through the group buy.

I think that I'm going to go for the H&R 50103 (yes, the one for the TL, not the one for the Accord). My understanding after some research is that this spring will give a conservative drop that should be slightly raked on the CL.

Depending on what people post regarding the Tein Luxury springs, I may consider going that way. I don't really want to be the guinea pig for these.

One reason to not go for the Tein Coilovers (I've already made a decision to not go this way) is the non-progressive spring winding. Too many people have posted that they'll bottom out with this set up. That would drive me crazy.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:50 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by Slimey
Depending on what people post regarding the Tein Luxury springs, I may consider going that way. I don't really want to be the guinea pig for these.

I don't wanna be the Guinea pig for the these either but they are Tein Springs. I have yet to hear about something bad that Tein makes.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by Red-CL
I don't wanna be the Guinea pig for the these either but they are Tein Springs. I have yet to hear about something bad that Tein makes.
Agreed.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:22 AM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

Originally Posted by Red-CL
I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as you are.

I got the Comptechs and love the rake look. I'll be going with the Tein Luxury Springs probably next summer. My Comptechs are barely rusty yet. I'm sure this winter will kill them though.

Coilovers aren't an option for me cause I already got Koni Yellows.
u can get ground control coilover sleeves..they make their sleeves specifically for koni yellows (if you have yellows) so fitting them won't be a problem

One reason to not go for the Tein Coilovers (I've already made a decision to not go this way) is the non-progressive spring winding. Too many people have posted that they'll bottom out with this set up. That would drive me crazy.
linear rated springs will be stiffer than progressive springs (and much more predictable)...not sure why they'd be bottoming out...i'm not a fan of hyped tein anyways though =)
Old 11-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by azian21485
linear rated springs will be stiffer than progressive springs (and much more predictable)...not sure why they'd be bottoming out...i'm not a fan of hyped tein anyways though =)
This is my short and sweet assessment from reading a lot of threads on the Tein SS full coilovers for the CL.
Originally Posted by Slimey
The issues raised with the Tein SS coilovers (not saying these are real *problems*, just issues to talk about) are:
1) the springs are not progressively wound
2) the springs are somewhat soft, but upgradable to a firmer (but still non-progressive) set
3) no bumpstops available
4) because of 1, 2, and 3, some people have mentioned bottoming out to be an issue.
Also summarized in this thread about 1/2 way down page two and has been discussed multiple times in these forums. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...9&page=2&pp=25
Old 11-01-2004, 08:41 PM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

bottoming out has very little to do with the spring rates and more to do with the valving of the shocks. If you have higher springrates and your shocks aren't valved to handle the spring rates, then you're going to bottom out. Too soft of dampening is what will cause your shocks to bottom out. Here's a scenerio, if you put koni yellows on stock springs does anyone have problems with bottoming out? stock springs are progressively wound, preloaded, and have low spring rates. The konis (or any shock) won't bottom out because the spring rates aren't really high

progressive rates or linear rates have nothing to do with the shock bottoming out or not

the only difference between progressive rates and linear rates is that a linear rate spring has the same spring rate throughout the entire spring. progressive rates have incremental increases in spring rate throughout the spring. linear springs will have a stiffer ride and progressive springs will offer the smooth ride some people like.

tein is based on racing. That's why they don't use progressive springs

tein's shock vavling is based on the accord which i skimmed is about 150-100 lbs lighter than you guys. One reason why you guys might be bottoming out is the added weight causing the springs to preload more (compress), causing them to "increase" spring rate more and the shocks can't handle it since they were vavled for lower spring rates (another reason i don't like tein).

so upgrading springs (which btw you don't have to go through tein..if you guys wanted to upgrade springs might as well go with better springs from eibach or hypercoils...they offer any rate you guys want and have a large racing history) to higher spring rates isn't the answer. Either go with lower rates or get the teins revalved or shortened or find some bumpstops if you wanna stick with them.

it also depends on how low you guys are but i'm assuming no one here is really slammed or anything
Old 11-01-2004, 09:31 PM
"You my boi blue!"

Originally Posted by azian21485

so upgrading springs (which btw you don't have to go through tein..if you guys wanted to upgrade springs might as well go with better springs from eibach or hypercoils...they offer any rate you guys want and have a large racing history) to higher spring rates isn't the answer. Either go with lower rates or get the teins revalved or shortened or find some bumpstops if you wanna stick with them.

it also depends on how low you guys are but i'm assuming no one here is really slammed or anything

So do you think I will have any problems with bottoming out if i get the Tein Basics and drop it the same as Old Comptechs (F1.5 and R1.0). That is about low as I would go and since I cant adjust the shocks with the basics, do you think I will have any probs of any kind with the drop that I mentioned above?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:38 PM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

i can't tell you if you'll bottom out or not because i have zero experience with teins...but it seems that the reason tein is bottoming out for the cl is that it's just being used on the wrong car..it's all speculation right now though

are the basics for the accord or cl? i'm sure other people who are running basics can chime in on their experience
Old 11-01-2004, 10:54 PM
"You my boi blue!"

Just looked up the basics for the 3.2cl-s and the accord (98-02) are the same part # DSH94-LUSS2
according to Teins Website.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:54 AM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

you MIGHT not have a problem...but don't base your decision on what i say because i have no personal experience...people who run basics should chime in or u can ask around?